• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attorney General Jeff Sessions Submitted His Resignation To Trump

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
https://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetillman/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-resignation

Interesting times loom......

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday submitted his resignation to President Donald Trump, via a letter hand-delivered to Chief of Staff John Kelly. Sessions wrote that he was submitting his resignation at the president's request.

"Thank you for the opportunity, Mr. President," Sessions wrote.

Sessions was the first sitting US senator to endorse Trump during the campaign, but over the past year he became an object of the president's ire for his decision to recuse from the US Department of Justice’s investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 election. Trump reportedly expressed his dismay in private at first, but his frustration spilled into the public sphere, with Trump openly, and repeatedly, criticizing Sessions to reporters and on Twitter.

The White House now faces the challenge of finding a nominee for attorney general in a far more politically fraught climate than when Trump announced Sessions as his choice in November 2016. There’s also the fact that any potential nominee will have watched Trump turn on Sessions for decisions that the president didn’t like. The circumstances of Sessions’ departure could scare off qualified candidates who worry the administration won’t protect the Justice Department’s independence.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions Resigns from Trump White House

https://www.wsj.com/articles/attorn...ons-resigns-from-trump-white-house-1541619893

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has resigned at the request of President Trump. The move follows months of Mr. Trump expressing his displeasure with Mr. Sessions in critical tweets.

The abrupt move ended Mr. Sessions’ tumultuous tenure as the nation’s top law-enforcement officer. Throughout, he couldn’t shake Mr. Trump’s displeasure over the special-counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Resignation letter states- at your request- aka resign or be fired

Re: Attorney General Jeff Sessions Resigns from Trump White House

Welp. Can't say I didn't see that coming.

Wow, that didn't take long.

Wanna bet the ink on both those letters was dry weeks ago?

That’s big news. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Basically the very first sentence of his resignation was "I don't want to but you made me".

He was fired, he would never leave on his own.

c0bacaf1-39d1-48b3-8518-664beade3c4b.png

https://www.wsj.com/articles/attorn...ons-resigns-from-trump-white-house-1541619893

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has resigned at the request of President Trump. The move follows months of Mr. Trump expressing his displeasure with Mr. Sessions in critical tweets.

The abrupt move ended Mr. Sessions’ tumultuous tenure as the nation’s top law-enforcement officer. Throughout, he couldn’t shake Mr. Trump’s displeasure over the special-counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

How the **** did you post this so fast???

Now we find out if Trump is dumb enough to obstruct Mueller.

I really hope that this does lead to any obstruction of the Mueller investigation.

I believe Rosenstein & Mueller are next.

Yip I would not be surprised to see him try to bring the Mueller Investigation stopped before the post midterm subpoenas start to fly...

Geez, Trump has been hammering the guy from the beginning.
Why resign now?
If I was Sessions, I would have stuck around just to irritate the orange buffoon.

He should never have picked a career politician from the start. IMO he would be best served trying to find a good solid legal mind...hell Alan Dershowitz would be a good start. ;)

Does this mean the insane war on marijuana is over?

More and more people are realizing that they can't work for someone like Donald J. Trump. So much for hiring only the best people, eh?

I believe Rosenstein & Mueller are next.

I do too.

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged.

Re: Jeff Sessions resigns as attorney general

Would Sessions resigning before the elections have had any impact? I don't see it.

I thought Mueller was done and we are treated like children in not being given the report until after dinner.

He spewed all over the place in the news conf. this am that altho he could stop it all, he wont.

Let's watch and see.

Gotta get a new sig!

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged.

Thanks! I figured there would be several BN threads about this at the same time....

Back
Top Bottom