• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attacking the NRA Is Really Attacking Everyday Americans

Russia attacks us repeatedly, Trump is silent...Russia attacks America, you support the man who is supposed to defend us but doesn't? That's attacking Americans.

What about attacking the FBI/DOJ? Two institutions that are supposed to be kept above the fray? That's attacking America.

How about attacking the free press? A check on politicians, a pillar of a democratic society..that's an attack on America.

But here comes LowDown to tell us the extremist nuts in the NRA proclaim attacking LOBBYISTS, is attacking Americans?

Please.

Never seen it because none exists. If you have one - step up and produce it.

Not necessary. There are some here on DP that use the red map as their avatar. If you are that uniformed then you are beyond hope.

Not necessary. There are some here on DP that use the red map as their avatar. If you are that uniformed then you are beyond hope.

Great - that makes it easy for you to produce it then. Lets see it.

So? I attack ordinary Americans all the time.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

While that is an important map, it doesn't exactly address that the blue dots tend to be where a hell of a lot more people live. This map is better able to capture geographic space and rural tendencies.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I told haymarket about the map being red and he seemed to be in denial and wanted me to prove it. So, I did. The country is red. 2/3's of the states have Republican governors and legislatures.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/United_States_Governors_map.svg

The NRA is a grass-roots organization made up of millions of decent, patriotic Americans who believe that guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens make our country safer, not more dangerous.

The majority of Americans, as well as NRA members, favor things like better background checks. So why does the NRA leadership oppose it?

I told haymarket about the map being red and he seemed to be in denial and wanted me to prove it. So, I did. The country is red. 2/3's of the states have Republican governors and legislatures.

First off land doesn't vote- PEOPLE do, the vast partially populated land really doesn't mean as much as you think.

Second the Dems are flipping long held GOP seats at the local level- to the point national leaders are worried.

Third- just how many here are/were members of the NRA???

I was when I competed in F-Class. The deluge of fearmongering propaganda was sickening. Roughly one percent of America are NRA members and I'd opine not so representative of firearm owners or regular citizens...

The leadership is as out there as any 'leftie' wing nut.

Be careful what you boast about, the gerrymandered districts are being successfully fought in court- the change could be bigger than a few local seats here or there... :peace

a teeny tiny minority belong to the NRA - and even less follow their extremist leaders. So attacking the positions of leadership hardly is attacking everyday Americans.

Teeny tiny minority? I had no idea that 5 million subs equaled "teeny tiny". The KKK has a teeny tiny minority at less than 100k adherents. The NRA...not teeny tiny.

Teeny tiny minority? I had no idea that 5 million subs equaled "teeny tiny". The KKK has a teeny tiny minority at less than 100k adherents. The NRA...not teeny tiny.

yes - when compared to over 300 million non members - it is indeed tiny.

That the NRA is extremist. That in itself is an extremist position based upon no fact what so ever. Just feelings.

Actually it is based on the historical record of the organization since the infamous Cincinattit Revolt in which radicals hijacked the organization for their own extremist puppies.

I would strongly urge you to read Waldman's excellent book THE SECOND AMENDMENT" A BIOGRAPHY. It painstakingly chronicles the event step by step over the years and is something that cannot be denied once he lays it out for all to see.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/United_States_Governors_map.svg

First you said the country was ALL RED.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
Ummmmmmmmmm. The one that shows the country is all red.

That was a falsehood and you own ridiculous map proves it. So you were WRONG in that statement.

Second, the map does not measure human beings who voted, it ascribes color to land or territory which is grossly deceiving as it treats a small space like New York with millions of votes and a small space in the middle of Wyoming with less than 100 votes with the same weight. And that renders these maps a s intellectually dishonest in the extreme.

But you knew that when you used it and did not care because all this has been explained before.

yes - when compared to over 300 million non members - it is indeed tiny.

Just curious, are you suggesting that those 300 million non members support far tougher gun laws and bans on AR's?

From the Washington Post, of all places:

Yep. And they vote, too.

From what I heard, the NRA has five or six million members. There are probably four or five times that of additional gun owners who do view an attack on the NRA as an attack on them. To blame the NRA for the attack in Florida is nothing more than an asinine political motivated attack against law abiding gun owners in search for votes in the next election. Nothing more and nothing less. If those doing the attacking were interested in solving school shooting they would be busy delving deep into our society to find the root cause. To find out what is now motivating these kids to go to any school over the last 20 years or so and begin killing for no apparent reason other than to kill. It seems to me that they don't give a hoot about what causes, the deeper reasons of the motivation to kill anyone and everyone they can. Just to ban guns which is nothing more than a tool, not the cause. Someone motivated to kill for killing sake can change tools rather easily.

Just curious, are you suggesting that those 300 million non members support far tougher gun laws and bans on AR's?

Simply that they have NOT seen fit to join up with the NRA and the public opinion support for gun laws indicates that.

Yes absolutely. The majority of the country does. In fact, so does the majority of the NRA membership itself.

Do majority of NRA members support background checks for guns? | PolitiFact Ohio

So why doesn’t the NRA membership? Because they are not about representing the views of the average sane American, nor even the average sane NRA member or even gun owner.

They are a special interest group for gun manufacturers. And these manufacturers, like the tobacco industry, could care less about the health, welfare, or safety of the average American, or even the average NRA member on wn whose back they are riding like they were some kind of beast of burden.. They just want to make money.

From what I heard, the NRA has five or six million members. There are probably four or five times that of additional gun owners who do view an attack on the NRA as an attack on them. To blame the NRA for the attack in Florida is nothing more than an asinine political motivated attack against law abiding gun owners in search for votes in the next election. Nothing more and nothing less. If those doing the attacking were interested in solving school shooting they would be busy delving deep into our society to find the root cause. To find out what is now motivating these kids to go to any school over the last 20 years or so and begin killing for no apparent reason other than to kill. It seems to me that they don't give a hoot about what causes, the deeper reasons of the motivation to kill anyone and everyone they can. Just to ban guns which is nothing more than a tool, not the cause. Someone motivated to kill for killing sake can change tools rather easily.

Here is the deeper reason: When something is easy and fun to do, people will do it.

When my kid was little, he saw that if he scratched on his toy blackboard with a metal gadget he had, it made a horrible noise that would make everyone's hair stand on end and get a rise out of everyone. So he kept doing it once in a while. He thought it was hilarious. So we put the metal gadget out of reach on a top shelf.

Out of sight, out of mind. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Simply that they have NOT seen fit to join up with the NRA and the public opinion support for gun laws indicates that.

Nope, in fact many gun owners are not NRA members, I am not and only know one person that is and most people I know are gun owners. I think you are taking a huge leap of faith in the hope that you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom