• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

What does an atheist say when they hear someone sneeze?

No, that is an incorrect description of logic. Logic is based on demonstrating valid and sound arguments. The values of truth and false used in logic is what is based on fundamental agreed upon assumptions.

Which is why at best a theist can make a valid argument but always fails to make that same argument a sound one. Even though they think and act as if it is sound.

This of course is simple theist nonsense. They talk crap and then demand respect. They use their idiot morality to pretend they have the high ground and any attack upon their nonsense views are therefor to be considered persecution.

An optimistic reply with the unfortunate corollary that we can define optimism as someone who does not know what is going on.

Optimism is nothing but a way to avoid dealing with harsh realities. At best one can be temporarily optimistic. The ultimate end is total demise.

Be optimistic and fabricate a loving god and the possibility of a joyous afterlife.... Wonderful isn't it?

I see...as you "Telling Me" or waving your hand is an unacceptable reason for belief I think we are done here. Have A Nice Day:)
My bad, pse don't ever take my "telling you" as anything more than what I'm remembering having seen so far and that I'm trying to see new things every day. There is no way I'd ever hope to be telling anyone of what is, imho that sort of thing works better as a group effort.

Maybe next time, & thanks.

...Logic is based on demonstrating valid and sound arguments. The values of truth and false used in logic is what is based on fundamental agreed upon assumptions...
That's a good definition, there are more definitions used by a lot of folks here, but if you really I can work w/ yours.

Seems like we're saying that we assume that "sound arguments" are a good way to determine that which is logical. Let's agree on an understanding of the "values of truth and false". You said that the value is "used in logic" but how about we say instead that "values of truth and false" are what we seek and we use logic as one of many tools to pursue that which is true?

...at best a theist can make a valid argument but always fails to make that same argument a sound one. Even though they think and act as if it is sound...

...simple theist nonsense. They talk crap and then demand respect. They use their idiot morality to pretend they have the high ground and any attack upon their nonsense views are therefor to be considered persecution...
Yeah, we've both run into theists who do that, even on these threads. Have you ever had the experience of seeing an atheist do that or is your conclusion that Atheists are people of Truth and the Theists are lost in Error?

Pse don't mistake me for being a member of the Theist gang on this thread engaged in a turf war w/ the Atheist gang. If you're interested my take is that the Question is important and passionate. While this Theist/Atheist war is stupid, the search for something we call "truth" is desparately important.

...people are good and worth understanding.
...An optimistic reply with the unfortunate corollary...
reminds me of something Thomas Paine once said:

57639.jpg

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

― Thomas Paine, The American Crisis​

We must not hold "humanity in contempt".

Last edited:
That is in no way, shape, or form Descartes’ argument. The argument was that as as a first principle, he can be sure he exists as he is doing the thinking. His argument for God is roughly that since he can conceive of a perfect being, it must exist otherwise he, as an imperfect being, wouldn’t be able to conceive of one. It’s a variation of the ontological argument.

Oh please what a joke of an argument that would be. What difference is there between "i dream therefore i am" and "i think therefore i am."
Yet the point made in the link was how do we know whether we exist or is this just a dream.
Ergo sum is a poor cliche not a validation of existence.
What i described is the point he was making. Admittedly a cut down version but essentially correct.

Optimism is nothing but a way to avoid dealing with harsh realities. At best one can be temporarily optimistic. The ultimate end is total demise.

Be optimistic and fabricate a loving god and the possibility of a joyous afterlife.... Wonderful isn't it?

Fabricate all you wish, whatever floats your boat.

But do not appear on debate sites and say you have good reason or evidence of such a god. the very nature of such a site will see you boat full of holes.

...you have misunderstood the argument put forth by descartes.
He was not attempting to prove that he existed. He was attempting to prove god existed...
Interesting. My second semester Philosophy class had Descartes first proving that he existed and then cobbling together some shlock 'proof' for God after --but you may be right.

What does an atheist say when they hear someone sneeze?
That is actually a very shrewd question. OK, so usually it's "hey, not on ME!!!" but the greater point is that Atheists often say "god is dead THANK GOD" or they go into law and argue a contract is invalid because of a "force majeure" AKA "act of God".

That's a good definition, there are more definitions used by a lot of folks here, but if you really I can work w/ yours.

Seems like we're saying that we assume that "sound arguments" are a good way to determine that which is logical. Let's agree on an understanding of the "values of truth and false". You said that the value is "used in logic" but how about we say instead that "values of truth and false" are what we seek and we use logic as one of many tools to pursue that which is true?
More or less agree. Logic is a tool using the values, reason is where we seek those values.
Yeah, we've both run into theists who do that, even on these threads. Have you ever had the experience of seeing an atheist do that or is your conclusion that Atheists are people of Truth and the Theists are lost in Error?
Yes, and i have even gone to the bother of arguing against what they claim.

Pse don't mistake me for being a member of the Theist gang on this thread engaged in a turf war w/ the Atheist gang. If you're interested my take is that the Question is important and passionate. While this Theist/Atheist war is stupid, the search for something we call "truth" is desparately important.

reminds me of something Thomas Paine once said:

57639.jpg

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

― Thomas Paine, The American Crisis​

We must not hold "humanity in contempt"

Humanity is not theism. Nor is humanity a strongly held belief based on nothing but faith. You mistake contempt for some ( and i emphasise "some ") theists bad behaviour. Note also i use the word theist instead of christian. No bigotry here i detest all religions.

Interesting. My second semester Philosophy class had Descartes first proving that he existed and then cobbling together some shlock 'proof' for God after --but you may be right.

Proved he existed? How did he do that? Ergo sum is a cliched joke, not a proof.

I **** therefore i am.

All the philosophers of that time were trying to prove a god existed by reason alone. Not one of them succeeded.

I say, "Gross, you're spreading germs."

Actually, I often say, "God bless you," even though I know God doesn't exist.

It's just a nice thing to say.

Actually, it's no more than a superstition...

the belief that a sneeze is the body trying to rid itself of evil spirits, the thought that the heart stops beating when a person sneezes, or the fear that a sneeze somehow opens the body to evil spirits. In these cases, saying, “God bless you,” was a kind of protection or good luck charm that shielded the sneezer from being invaded by spirits or affected by evil. Other cultures have a similar response to sneezes, believing that a sneeze could signal ill health: they might say, “Salud” (Spanish for “health”) or “Gesundheit” (German for “health”) or “Sláinte” (Irish Gaelic for “good health”) or “Jeebo” (Bengali for “stay alive”).

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-bless-you-sneeze.html

Proved he existed? How did he do that? ...
Those questions appear to be rhetorical, that is they're offered w/ no interest in an answer, like maybe you're still focused on the theist/atheist feud. Have at it; I'm willing to step back but do let me know when you'd care to work w/ men on this "what's real or not" thing.

Those questions appear to be rhetorical, that is they're offered w/ no interest in an answer, like maybe you're still focused on the theist/atheist feud. Have at it; I'm willing to step back but do let me know when you'd care to work w/ men on this "what's real or not" thing.

Hardly rhetorical. Someone takes a few words from a discourse and pretends it has meaning rather than being just a cliche. Descartes like many of the philosophers of his time are a waste of our time. Great stuff if you want to keep a philosophy teacher in pay but other than that they only tell us that reason is often influenced by culture. And in this case a culture of, you had better believe in god or we will send your body parts to hell one at a time.

I am curious, what do you have to say on the "what's real or not" thingy?

No, but I guarantee you, your house was built by someone...it just didn't suddenly appear one day outta nothingness...neither did the universe...
Nothingness being the entirity of our universe condensed into a single point weighing numbers too large for you to comprehend, and too big to contain in the chronicles of desert savages.

Do you really not get that the physical and observable qualities of our universe weren't suddenly imagined/discovered by random sheep herders and carpenters in the desert?

People are literally going to space every day, based on scientific research by atheists. When is the last time the magical chariot in space blew a horn?

Sent from a memo written by Nunes and edited by Trump.

Nothingness being the entirity of our universe condensed into a single point weighing numbers too large for you to comprehend, and too big to contain in the chronicles of desert savages.

Do you really not get that the physical and observable qualities of our universe weren't suddenly imagined/discovered by random sheep herders and carpenters in the desert?

People are literally going to space every day, based on scientific research by atheists. When is the last time the magical chariot in space blew a horn?

Not sure what you're smokin' but I've never said any of that so your rant is lost on me...lol...

We have been through this so many times here with believers. I have asked believers if they think it is possible that my house is full of invisible four dimensional tap dancing dwarfs and they have have said yes. They have to say yes in order to bolster up their god delusion.

Are you up with the latest physics theories about multi-dimensional universes. This is where multiple universes overlap but can't directly see each other unless some type of inter-dimensional bridge is constructed.

They call it the multiverse. It’s a cosmos in which there are multiple universes. And by multiple, I mean an infinite number. These uncountable realms sit side by side in higher dimensions that our senses are incapable of perceiving directly.

Yet increasingly astronomers and cosmologists seem to be invoking the multiverse to explain puzzling observations.

The best of evidence that could favor a multiverse comes from the UK’s Royal Astronomical Society. They recently published a study on the so-called ‘cold spot’. This is a particularly cool patch of space seen in the radiation produced by the formation of the Universe more than 13 billion years ago.

People have always looked to the sky when they think of heaven. The astral physicists do the same thing when looking for evidence of multi universes. I wonder where science got that clue?

Diehard atheists don't like this theory because it undermines decades of propaganda.

Not sure what you're smokin' but I've never said any of that so your rant is lost on me...lol...
If you think anyone here is surprised by your complete lack of understanding, you are really mistaken.

Do you honestly believe there was "nothing" before expansion?

If you think anyone here is surprised by your complete lack of understanding, you are really mistaken.

Do you honestly believe there was "nothing" before expansion?

Your reading comprehension is atrocious...lol...

Are you up with the latest physics theories about multi-dimensional universes. This is where multiple universes overlap but can't directly see each other unless some type of inter-dimensional bridge is constructed.

People have always looked to the sky when they think of heaven. The astral physicists do the same thing when looking for evidence of multi universes. I wonder where science got that clue?

Diehard atheists don't like this theory because it undermines decades of propaganda.
People looked at shapes in the water, and came up with the belief in sea dragons. Years later, other people studied the sea and realized what people thought were dragons, were actually whales and squids, and octopi, etc. Two groups of people, looking at the exact same thing, came out of it with extremely different views.

That difference is the gap between scientists looking at stars today, and sheep herders hearing voices they attributed to sky creatures in the 1st century CE.

Your reading comprehension is atrocious...lol...
Says the person who can't find anything about JWs and their upstate New York headquarters in the bible...

Says the person who can't find anything about JWs and their upstate New York headquarters in the bible...

Your bias is showing, as well as your atrocious reading comprehension...when you can stick to the subject or can even understand what I said, let me know...

Back
Top Bottom