• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?

About on par with the Stallone movie Tango and Cash. A .38 stops an on rushing semi butt cold. Cop killer bullet?

When I was a grunt, we had a live fire exercise where an old Willies jeep was one of the victims. I probably put a belt through that bastard, with every 5th round a tracer. Nothing. It didn't even catch fire.

Then I got back to the barracks and watched Miami Vice in the day room, and Don Johnson fires this little snub nose pistol at a speeding car at about 200 meters, and the damn car explodes like it was full of dynamite.

I felt ripped off.

Women should all carry.

Everyone should carry. *Everyone*. Got a felony? Great. The moment your sentence is over (done, not parole), you can carry. Legal resident on a green card? Carry. Live in Compton? You better carry.

When I was a grunt, we had a live fire exercise where an old Willies jeep was one of the victims. I probably put a belt through that bastard, with every 5th round a tracer. Nothing. It didn't even catch fire.

Then I got back to the barracks and watched Miami Vice in the day room, and Don Johnson fires this little snub nose pistol at a speeding car at about 200 meters, and the damn car explodes like it was full of dynamite.

I felt ripped off.
Yeah man real life and Hollywood are two different animals.

Something tells me that if this man does not consider a .40 caliber semiautomatic handgun with hollow point ammunition a "normal" gun, I am given to wonder how much he knows about firearms and what gun he would be comfortable with his daughter possessing in his home. If he does not want guns under his roof because they make him uncomfortable or he just does not like having such a dangerous tool on his premises, that is his right and I can certainly understand it. But he seems to be taking it a step further and is treating his daughter as though she is a murderer-in-waiting, ready to empty her pistol into him while he sleeps. I do not understand where that thought pattern comes from. I think the biggest issue is that the parent-daughter relationship has broken down over this, and he now lives in fear of his daughter, and his daughter now realizes that her father fears her and does not trust her, for all the flowery language he uses when describing her. That is far sadder than the gun issue.

If he wishes a gun NOT be in his home that is tough turd for the gun community. It is his home not hers. She can be queen of her castle when she is at her house. Speculating on his motives as to why he doesn't want a gun is ignorant. For all we know his neighbor shot his dog, a police office accidentally shot his sister, a gun fell from a display case and discharges shooting him in the butt or he killed to many men in Vietnam and vowed ever to use a gun again.

By the way I own 2 rifles and a 40 cal. with hollow points given to me by the local police gang squad. They all are loaded and the 40 cal. has 1 in the chamber...

Everyone should carry. *Everyone*. Got a felony? Great. The moment your sentence is over (done, not parole), you can carry. Legal resident on a green card? Carry. Live in Compton? You better carry.

Lock and load Johnny. It's time for preschool

Doesn't really matter, every person in the household had a right to know there was a gun, and the father had a right to veto the presence of a gun.

Absolutely. And if I'm the homeowner, I am the first to know too.

I didn't think hollow points exploded?

Or is the writer referring to how they expand...

I don't think they're illegal in 11 states either.

My first thought was that this has to be an Onion type story, but that appears to not to be the case.

Males are too hotheaded, in general, to be trusted with a gun, IMO.

Males are too hotheaded, in general, to be trusted with a gun, IMO.

I don't care who can be trusted with them. I don't trust anyone with them. Everyone should still carry.

I was impressed by the advice. statistics don't support the the idea of keeping a gun in the home for safety. Ask Amy is quite right.

If you are afraid of a gun, then don't own one. For some people- a gun in the house will make them less safe

1) drug addicts
2) alcoholics
3 people who engage in domestic violence
4) people who have certain mental illnesses

For others, having a gun in the house does increase their safety.

You have to analyze your own situational environment accurately.

Yeah man real life and Hollywood are two different animals.

you mean John Wayne didn't slay half the Apache tribe with a pair of Colt 45 revolvers?

If you are afraid of a gun, then don't own one. For some people- a gun in the house will make them less safe

1) drug addicts
2) alcoholics

I did not refer to my own feelings about guns. Perhaps this woman has analyzed her own situational environment accurately. Hmmm?

I did not refer to my own feelings about guns. Perhaps this woman has analyzed her own situational environment accurately. Hmmm?

maybe so-I certainly believe each individual should evaluate whether it is in their best self interest to be armed. But what I have zero use for-are people who tell me that they know what is better for me than I do. I don't force nor would I ever force-someone to be armed when they are afraid to do so, or if they believe they cannot responsibly own and use firearms. Or that they are worried that they could not use is properly.

I don't think they're illegal in 11 states either.

My first thought was that this has to be an Onion type story, but that appears to not to be the case.
The author might have been confused, as I initially was, by this or something similar - Ammunition Illegal And Controversial Ammunition - Gun | Laws.com

In a search for "are hollow point bullets illegal anywhere in the united states?", it came up as a top result, but if you read it you quickly realize that it's talking about armor piercing bullets:
Though there is much controversy surrounding the issue, there are certain laws in place that regulate the sell or possession of certain types of ammunition, namely armor-piercing bullets. Hollow tip bullets, though not regulated, are also an issue of controversy because of its intended purpose of expanding or mushrooming upon impact.
Armor-piercing bullets are primarily developed with the use of small or conventional firearms with the purpose of penetrating body armor, such as a ballistics vest used by law enforcement officials.
Currently there are eleven states that have barred the sale or possession of armor-piercing bullets: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Indiana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Michigan, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas.

Also apparently there was literal fake news about it at some point: FACT CHECK: 23 States Agree to Implement Gun Control Law Banning Hollow Point Ammunition

Last edited:
I was impressed by the advice. statistics don't support the the idea of keeping a gun in the home for safety. Ask Amy is quite right.

Gun Advice from the Worst Column Ever | National Review

That is a sad story. But it remains the case that the likelihood of Dumbfounded’s daughter hunting him down through his locked bedroom door — intentionally, or otherwise — is close to nil. By contrast, there are between tens of thousands (on the extreme low end of the estimates) and millions (on the high end) of defensive gun uses each year. For some reason, that didn’t show up in Amy’s research.

But then it wouldn’t, would it? In her conclusion, Amy gives the game away:

I agree with your ultimatum; I also weep that there is yet another (likely unsafe) gun owner in this country.

If he wishes a gun NOT be in his home that is tough turd for the gun community. It is his home not hers. She can be queen of her castle when she is at her house. Speculating on his motives as to why he doesn't want a gun is ignorant. For all we know his neighbor shot his dog, a police office accidentally shot his sister, a gun fell from a display case and discharges shooting him in the butt or he killed to many men in Vietnam and vowed ever to use a gun again.

By the way I own 2 rifles and a 40 cal. with hollow points given to me by the local police gang squad. They all are loaded and the 40 cal. has 1 in the chamber...

I was not commenting on his desire not to have a firearm under his roof, Dick Tornado, the man's plain ignorance of firearms aside. As I said, it is his right, and I might well not want to have a guest bring guns into my home either. What I was commenting on was his sudden contemptuous distrust of his daughter by virtue of the fact that she has taken to owning a firearm as though she were the feminine reincarnation of Adam Lanza.

Who the heck is Amy?

Has a syndicated "advice" column. Oh. My. Gosh. Some of the questions Amy apparently gets asked...

Ask Amy: Should I tell my friend of 15 years that his wife hates him?
Ask Amy: My husband and I argue about when to give our kids ice packs
Ask Amy: We warned my family we were running late, but they ate without us anyway
Ask Amy: My friends who have toddlers always go on playdates, but my kids aren't invited
Ask Amy: My sister's table manners are so gross that I can't enjoy family dinners
Ask Amy: I recently met a man from Brazil on Instagram. Should I invite him to live with me?
Ask Amy: I think I saw photos of nude young girls on my brother-in-law's iPad
Ask Amy: My gay friend said she's attracted to me and came out for a home dinner nearly naked

I'm laughing. C'mon now. Really? That's the sort of **** people ask her and actually take note of her opinions or care what she has to say? Like she's some "expert" on all things in life?

Too funny.

1) drug addicts
2) alcoholics

and if you ARE afraid, own one

Back
Top Bottom