• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are there any policially correct (PC) terms you actually agree with?

I reject political correctness entirely. I don't care what you say and I don't care who gets upset at it. Free speech and all.

I am asking the membership if there may be some politically correct (PC) terms you might actually agree with using. I have scores I think are completely foolish and goofy, but there are three I happen to agree with totally. Here they are for your discussion and / or...."disagreement".

1. NOT calling grown women "girls". I learned this early when I first started working in the hospitality industry. Girls are children, and grown-up females are women. Call them otherwise to your peril.

2. Use "they" rather than HE when discussing general individuals. A state inspector was going through my hotel once when i managed it and I had not seen HIM start the inspection, but asked the clerk when did she think HE would be through with it. Down the hall came the inspector and THEY were not a HE, but a SHE. Don't tell me that little screw up of mine did not earn us a few hits on the inspection.
I should have asked the clerk when did THEY say THEY would be done. Much safer and covers all bases.

3. Native American. Technically accurate even if they came over to North America via a land bridge or whatever. They were still here first. To me, that makes them indigenous peoples.

Do you have any you can enlighten us with that seem fine to use in normal conversation with others?
There are others that are so completely wrong I will not list them and no one but politicians and those on TV use. The rest of us don't.

I disagree with the term politically correct. People should not have to walk on eggshells over every damn word that comes out of their mouth. There are too many snowflakes that get offended over every little thing. Screw em.

The unknown gender "problem", addressed in #2, is easily avoided by referring to the person's title, function or profession - simply using a noun rather than a pronoun.

too much work to find out what profession THEY are. That is why I just use THEY.
Safe and covers all bases......and lazy.

Not calling myself an "American" when I'm in Central or South America. They are also Americans. "North American" is generally okay, or just saying I'm from the USA.

When i was overseas, I found out if I said i was American, I was received with a "meh" attitude....but if i said I was from TEXAS, their eyes brightened up and they all wanted to talk.

You see we all own oil wells, live on a ranch, personally know JR, ride horses, and have nothing less than $300,000 in our bank accounts.

I am asking the membership if there may be some politically correct (PC) terms you might actually agree with using. I have scores I think are completely foolish and goofy, but there are three I happen to agree with totally. Here they are for your discussion and / or...."disagreement".

1. NOT calling grown women "girls". I learned this early when I first started working in the hospitality industry. Girls are children, and grown-up females are women. Call them otherwise to your peril.

2. Use "they" rather than HE when discussing general individuals. A state inspector was going through my hotel once when i managed it and I had not seen HIM start the inspection, but asked the clerk when did she think HE would be through with it. Down the hall came the inspector and THEY were not a HE, but a SHE. Don't tell me that little screw up of mine did not earn us a few hits on the inspection.
I should have asked the clerk when did THEY say THEY would be done. Much safer and covers all bases.

3. Native American. Technically accurate even if they came over to North America via a land bridge or whatever. They were still here first. To me, that makes them indigenous peoples.

Do you have any you can enlighten us with that seem fine to use in normal conversation with others?
There are others that are so completely wrong I will not list them and no one but politicians and those on TV use. The rest of us don't.
using PC expressions is an exercise in respect
so, i do try to use them when i intend to be respectful
not so much if my intention is to piss you off

These days, complaints about PC terms are often raised by those who have been pulled up by someone, most commonly over their casual racism or misogynist remarks. The PC railed about by conservatives is largely a fiction created by them. A strawman to pull down, "cultural Marxism"!
Actual functional PC is about being polite, and not using gratuitously offensive language.

Your OP example noted that THEY was the inspector.

yes, I asked the clerk when THEY said THEY might be finished.
This applies equally well to one person or many if you are talking to a third party, as I was.
If i am wrong grammatically, then so be it.
It makes me no never mind.:cool:

I am not going to argue syntax with you if that is your goal.

The reports I have to file every day have to be grammatically perfect, as do the memos and other office internal and external writings.
When i log onto DP, I write as lazy as i feel like it.

makes me no nevermind about any of that stufffs or slightly lazy-assed stuff in my posts. (deliberately being over-the-top silly)
My paycheck is not dependent on any of these posts here.

Last edited:
yes, I asked the clerk when THEY said THEY might be finished.
This applies equally well to one person or many if you are talking to a third party, as I was.
If i am wrong grammatically, then so be it.
It makes me no never mind.

I am not going to argue syntax with you if that is your goal.

Yep, your intent was to ask the clerk whether the inspector was finished. Use of a gender specific pronoun was not required in order to do so.

I'm LGBT myself, and I just say LGBT. Otherwise it's too many leters and it gets annoying to say more than once.

Just a question if you are only the L(assuming) why are you part of the other letters at all? I mean if adding all the letters and symbols is too much then isnt adding 3 unnecessary ones too much also?

Down here on the Texas gulf coast our forte' is fantail shrimp, oysters and redfish.
While really good, I personally feel the Cod, Shrod, lobster, clams, scallops, and what-not are just a little bit better up there.

...and yes, just let the haters hate. The rest of us have more polite things to do.

I think you are missing this little guy

img4.jpg

Yes, I should have added Asian American to my complaint list for the same reason. Asia is a continent. It's a stupid hyphen - and I don't like the use of any of these hyphenated terms.

I do agree that a lot of people use "they" now because they fear labelling someone named Bob as a male, because Bob may believe he's a female (which is just an annoying obnoxious new way of talking - I assume Bob is a male and if he isn't, oh well - sorry about that). But sadly that improper use of English started a long time ago by the lazy people.

I wonder why the word Oriental is now a bad word?

Doesn't it indicate the person is from the Orient?

In the U.S., people are obsessed with age. As such, there are many women who refer to themselves and their friends as girls (e.g. girls night out), as it implies youth.

Some related person experiences:
Once in college (mid 1980's), a professor asked a question. One of the women in class raised her hand, and the professor said "yes, Miss Smith?" She had a complete meltdown, and screamed "I am not a "Miss", I am a Ms."

Conversely, In my senior year in HS, I worked as a cashier for a supermarket. After ringing up an order for a women, I said "thank you miss, please come again". She gave me an angry look, held up her hand, showed me her ring finger, and her ring, and said I'm a Mrs.

I think you are missing this little guy

img4.jpg

I guess I was. I still to this day do not consider them "seafood".
I caught them by the dozens on chicken necks in streams, ponds, and ditches when i was a kid.
I prefer the term "mud bug" when describing them, and still do not have a slot I would put them under, but seafood is not it.

My wife had never seen one so I drove up to a guy selling them in a truck and asked him for one and put it under my hat.
When i got back to the truck, she asked why I had not gotten any and I told her I only got one, and then took off my hat that showed it to her.
He reaction took me back a bit.
She said they were "cute" and would never eat one and would not tolerate me cooking 5 pounds of them in the house either.
She let it crawl around on the floor of the truck on her side as she talked cutesy to it, and them had me take it to a ditch and set it free.

Now i have enjoyed mud bugs most of my life, but "cute" would not be a description of them i would ever use.

I still can't call anything you catch in a ditch with a chicken neck...."seafood".
I am sure it is just me.

In the U.S., people are obsessed with age. As such, there are many women who refer to themselves and their friends as girls (e.g. girls night out), as it implies youth.

Some related person experiences:
Once in college (mid 1980's), a professor asked a question. One of the women in class raised her hand, and the professor said "yes, Miss Smith?" She had a complete meltdown, and screamed "I am not a "Miss", I am a Ms."

Conversely, In my senior year in HS, I worked as a cashier for a supermarket. After ringing up an order for a women, I said "thank you miss, please come again". She gave me an angry look, held up her hand, showed me her ring finger, and her ring, and said I'm a Mrs.

Your experiences go back to what I said about some people just want to be offended no matter what is said or done.
"thin skinned" was the expression most used to describe them.
Even so, they should not blow up on people just trying to be polite as you were.
Their reaction in both cases was more rude than the initial offense.

May I personally offer my congratulations to each and every poster on this thread.

Usually almost every thread devolves into a hissing and spitting fit after page one or during page one.
None of you did this.
Everyone offered their personal views, said why, and that was that.
This is page 7 and I don't think there was even one personal attack or insult on the whole thread.
Everyone said their opinions and why, and though some disagreed, it was all 100% civil.

Have we all started a new trend here?

I do not want to jinx it, but i think we may have broken some DP record here.
It may not mean anything, but i am proud of each and every one of you.
Thank you all for this.

I refer to my trans friends as the gender they identify as.

I have trouble with this one. If I met them after they switched its OK but if I knew them as one gender first then they switched I often screw up and refer to them by the wrong gender. It is not intentional my brain just takes along time to adjust. Actually caused a problem for a tenant when they were looking for a new place as I called her him when the potential new landlord called for references. I gave a good reference as they were a good tenant but when the guy questioned if it was a he or a she that was renting I kinda realized my mistake and well started a rather incoherent babble. Next day my tenant called and said the apatment she was looking at was no longer for rent so she decided to stay.
Worked out Ok for me but I still feel kinda bad about it.

I guess I was. I still to this day do not consider them "seafood".
I caught them by the dozens on chicken necks in streams, ponds, and ditches when i was a kid.
I prefer the term "mud bug" when describing them, and still do not have a slot I would put them under, but seafood is not it.

My wife had never seen one so I drove up to a guy selling them in a truck and asked him for one and put it under my hat.
When i got back to the truck, she asked why I had not gotten any and I told her I only got one, and then took off my hat that showed it to her.
He reaction took me back a bit.
She said they were "cute" and would never eat one and would not tolerate me cooking 5 pounds of them in the house either.
She let it crawl around on the floor of the truck on her side as she talked cutesy to it, and them had me take it to a ditch and set it free.

Now i have enjoyed mud bugs most of my life, but "cute" would not be a description of them i would ever use.

I still can't call anything you catch in a ditch with a chicken neck...."seafood".
I am sure it is just me.

No, it's not just you. I used to regard crawdaddies as little cousins of lobsters...until I saw one crawl out of a septic tank. Yes, yes, I know mudbugs are raised for restaurants on farms, but I just can't.

Aside: When I visit my BFF, I'm just amazed by how their little huts, dozens of them, will spring up overnight.

I have trouble with this one. If I met them after they switched its OK but if I knew them as one gender first then they switched I often screw up and refer to them by the wrong gender. It is not intentional my brain just takes along time to adjust. Actually caused a problem for a tenant when they were looking for a new place as I called her him when the potential new landlord called for references. I gave a good reference as they were a good tenant but when the guy questioned if it was a he or a she that was renting I kinda realized my mistake and well started a rather incoherent babble. Next day my tenant called and said the apatment she was looking at was no longer for rent so she decided to stay.
Worked out Ok for me but I still feel kinda bad about it.

Don't worry about it. I used to screw up all the time, too. It does take a while to adjust.

Don't worry about it. I used to screw up all the time, too. It does take a while to adjust.

Thanx I like to think she is better off at my place because I dont care about her being trans. Obviously the other landlord did. She has told me some of the problems she had do to the change. Loss of family/friends, went on sick leave at work do to harassement etc. (reason she tried to change apts was reduced income meant she needed a cheaper place, fortunately that part is better now)

I work with many women. They call each other girls. I sometimes do too, but they give me a pass. Also have to cut down on the dick jokes.

I work with many women. They call each other girls. I sometimes do too, but they give me a pass. Also have to cut down on the dick jokes.

Why because yours is so short?
Sorry you kinda walked into that one

Back
Top Bottom