• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AOC's worst tweet yet

You need help.

I think that anyone who actually does need help would be unwise to seek it from you, Your Grace. (I wonder .... are you one of those Cardinals who are so much in the news thee days?)

Nope, whataboutism is justifying your guys actions by pointing out their guy did it too.

Double standards are condemning actions in others that you do also.

Double standards: Leftists, Democrat, Liberal, Progressive MO IMHO.

I don’t believe that condolences, however sincere, go very far at all nowadays helping anyone to feel better. Sure, victims loved ones appreciate the gesture, but these terrible events are so commonplace now, as is the mourning and messages of love and support, the verbal gestures and flowers are virtually meaningless.

What we need is more direct action against those who want to harm us and those we care about. Until the last couple of years I wouldn’t have even considered any need for firearms in any house of worship. Not anymore. Maybe other countries should consider increasing security for their citizens by having armed security inside/at their houses of worship like some are already doing in the U.S..

Actually I could care less about AOC, can you say the same about Trump ?? :lol:

It is a signpost of right wing delusion that they equate a freshman congressperson with the president of the USA.

Nope, whataboutism is justifying your guys actions by pointing out their guy did it too.

Double standards are condemning actions in others that you do also.

Your post was the quintessential essence of far right whataboutism.

AOC draws ire ripping ‘your thoughts and prayers’ after Christchurch mosque shootings | Fox News

That tweet was an abomination. Thoughts and prayers are exactly what these victims need. Those that attend religious service in a Mosque, Synagogue, or Church use thoughts and prayers.

After that AOC uses this terrorist attack to insult the NRA:

I am not sure what the NRA has to do with the shooting in New Zealand. I didn't realize the NRA had their own phrase either.

Thoughts and prayers for your dishonesty.

She correctly stated that since the shooting happened in the house of God, the thoughts and prayers sent out by those who oppose gun regulations obviously are not working. Nothing more nothing less.

"an abomination"? What utter nonsense.

Thoughts and prayers are exactly what these victims need.

More nonsense. One pair of hands working accomplishes more than a million hands clasped in prayer.

Anyone that wants to make difference should do something positive, like contribute time or money to actually help.

You obviously believe Santa Claus is going to magically help make things better. I don't.

I think that anyone who actually does need help would be unwise to seek it from you, Your Grace. (I wonder .... are you one of those Cardinals who are so much in the news thee days?)

So I accuse Bucky of being irrational in his OP, and you accuse me of pedophilia. That's seems proportionate.

"I am not sure what the NRA has to do with the shooting in New Zealand."

Neither does she, I'm sure.

Her statement about "thoughts and prayers" is a commentary on how that phrase is used to sweep underlying issues under the rug when they're inconvenient. In this case, that may be guns, the spread of white supremacy and the impact that Donald Trump has on the world scene and the spread of xenophobism.

AOC draws ire ripping ‘your thoughts and prayers’ after Christchurch mosque shootings | Fox News

That tweet was an abomination. Thoughts and prayers are exactly what these victims need. Those that attend religious service in a Mosque, Synagogue, or Church use thoughts and prayers.

I am not sure what the NRA has to do with the shooting in New Zealand. I didn't realize the NRA had their own phrase either.
AOC is rightly criticizing politicians for saying "thoughts and prayers" but then doing absolutely nothing beyond that to address why these horrific acts of violence occur. It is a totally valid criticism, and it doesn't become invalid just because AOC tweeted it.

You're right, AOC lives in heads of some 'right wingers' and Trump lives in the heads of all 'left wingers'. Funny how that works out, amiright ??

The yuge difference? One is the leader of the free world, the other is 1/435 of 1/2 of a branch of federal government.

Her statement about "thoughts and prayers" is a commentary on how that phrase is used to sweep underlying issues under the rug when they're inconvenient. In this case, that may be guns, the spread of white supremacy and the impact that Donald Trump has on the world scene and the spread of xenophobism.

The underlying issue is that criminals and the mentally unstable should not have access to firearms but are still getting them, yet the left wants to ban guns from those who aren't committing these crimes, namely law abiding and responsible firearms owners and enthusiasts.

There can be reams of new firearms regulations and legislation passed and put into place, but to expect higher rate of compliance to them from criminals and the mentally unstable is simply fundamentally flawed.

The criminals and mentally unstable don't follow the already existing laws, what makes you believe it likely that they'll comply with any new firearms regulations and legislation?

Abridging and infringing on the rights of those that aren't committing the crimes is both unjustifiable as well as unethical, and since it doesn't address the problem, fundamentally flawed as well, and you are surprised that there's push back against new firearms regulations and legislation?

The underlying issue is that criminals and the mentally unstable should not have access to firearms but are still getting them, yet the left wants to ban guns from those who aren't committing these crimes, namely law abiding and responsible firearms owners and enthusiasts.

There can be reams of new firearms regulations and legislation passed and put into place, but to expect higher rate of compliance to them from criminals and the mentally unstable is simply fundamentally flawed.

The criminals and mentally unstable don't follow the already existing laws, what makes you believe it likely that they'll comply with any new firearms regulations and legislation?

Abridging and infringing on the rights of those that aren't committing the crimes is both unjustifiable as well as unethical, and since it doesn't address the problem, fundamentally flawed as well, and you are surprised that there's push back against new firearms regulations and legislation?

Firearms are just one aspect of it, and the issue around that isn't that criminals will obey gun laws, but that criminals will have less access to guns if guns aren't being regularly saturated into the public. One of the reasons that the New Zealand massacre is so shocking is that their gun saturation is relatively low compared to ours: 26 guns per 100 people there versus 120 guns per 100 people here.

But even that only touches on one part of the issue which is the rise of White Supremacy and the influence of Donald Trump on the international stage, and that poison has clearly begun to spread to New Zealand.

"Thoughts and prayers" isn't going to address any of these issues. AOC is 100% right.

Last edited:

That's just standard leftist nonsense. Anytime there is a mass shooting and thoughts and prayers are offered, the automatic response is, "we don't need thoughts and prayers, we need gun control legislation".

Oh, wait a minute, New Zealand does have strict gun control laws.

That's just standard leftist nonsense. Anytime there is a mass shooting and thoughts and prayers are offered, the automatic response is, "we don't need thoughts and prayers, we need gun control legislation".

My response is that we don't need prayers, we need people to stand against those Trump refers to as "very fine people". You know, these guys:

nazi-flag-charlottesville-protest-rd-mem-170814_16x9_992.jpg

a2668b92-7c26-4736-b568-feb08d471e03-ax098_4a00_9.jpg

Firearms is just one aspect of it, and the issue around that isn't that criminals will obey gun laws, but that criminals will have less access to guns if guns aren't being regularly saturated into the public. The reason that the New Zealand massacre is so shocking is that their gun saturation is relatively low compared to ours: 26 gun per 100 people there versus 120 guns per 100 people here.

But even that only touches on one part of the issue which is the rise of White Supremacy and the influence of Donald Trump on the international stage.
Unrelated to the issue of firearms and regulation there of.
"Thoughts and prayers" isn't going to address any of these issues. AOC is 100% right.

On that pinpoint, she's right.

I still stand by my position that abridging and infringing on the rights of those who are not committing the crimes is unjustifiable as well as unethical.

Looking forward to some substantiation that firearm saturation has a demonstrable correlation to criminals and the mentally unstable obtaining illegal firearms, because if you look at heavily firearm regulated areas, such as Chicago and others, that too doesn't seem to work.

They have 1/5th the gun saturation of the United States, which probably helps to explain why their gun-related massacre is so shocking, whereas here we'd call it "Sunday."

Also, until now, they didn't have the right wing extremism that regularly permeates America. Finally, this is the first time that Donald Trump is being cited by the shooter in a foreign country, which means that Trump's poison is spreading.

"Thoughts and prayers" aren't going to make those things disappear.

Unrelated to the issue of firearms and regulation there of.

On that pinpoint, she's right.

I still stand by my position that abridging and infringing on the rights of those who are not committing the crimes is unjustifiable as well as unethical.

Looking forward to some substantiation that firearm saturation has a demonstrable correlation to criminals and the mentally unstable obtaining illegal firearms, because if you look at heavily firearm regulated areas, such as Chicago and others, that too doesn't seem to work.

It's not "unrelated." Right wing extremism and Trump were the inspiration, and with those things in mind that made even their relatively low gun saturation deadly.

My response is that we don't need prayers, we need people to stand against those Trump refers to as "very fine people". You know, these guys:

nazi-flag-charlottesville-protest-rd-mem-170814_16x9_992.jpg

a2668b92-7c26-4736-b568-feb08d471e03-ax098_4a00_9.jpg

What is up with you guys lately? You can't even stay on topic.

They have 1/5th the gun saturation of the United States, which probably helps to explain why their gun-related massacre is so shocking, whereas here we'd call it "Sunday."

Also, until now, they didn't have the right wing extremism that regularly permeates America. Finally, this is the first time that Donald Trump is being cited by the shooter in a foreign country, which means that Trump's poison is spreading.

"Thoughts and prayers" aren't going to make those things disappear.

You know, it is the left's propaganda against Trump that is spreading. They are the ones inciting these things across the world, not Trump. They are the ones that are making the extremists look up to Trump, not Trump himself. It is the total and complete hate of Trump that is doing this.

It's not "unrelated." Right wing extremism and Trump were the inspiration, and with those things in mind that made even their relatively low gun saturation deadly.

There were mass shootings before Trump, and there'll be mass shooting after Trump.
Trump has nothing to do with mass shootings one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom