• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amsterdam Stabbing Victims Identified as U.S. Citizens

Dutch media reports that the Asylum request of Jawed S. had been denied a year ago but he was able to remain free while the appeal was still being decided on.

It was a terrorist attack. It has nothing to do with gun control. And attacks are seldom "preventable". When a person is determined to hurt other people generally they will. The best we can hope for is to respond quickly, which happened in this case, and maybe prevent a few of these attacks. No matter how you slice and dice it, every individual is responsible for their own self-defense. It has always been so throughout human history. What we have to decide as a society is which tools should be available to honest citizens for their self-defense. I tend to favor allowing citizens to be as well armed as their attackers will be. Otherwise it's not really "self defense" at all.

It was a terrorist attack. It has nothing to do with gun control. And attacks are seldom "preventable". When a person is determined to hurt other people generally they will. The best we can hope for is to respond quickly, which happened in this case, and maybe prevent a few of these attacks. No matter how you slice and dice it, every individual is responsible for their own self-defense. It has always been so throughout human history. What we have to decide as a society is which tools should be available to honest citizens for their self-defense. I tend to favor allowing citizens to be as well armed as their attackers will be. Otherwise it's not really "self defense" at all.

Would you class school shootings as terroist attacks in that case? Kinda reminds me of the time Anders Brevik was described as using "terroist like tactics". Skin colour definetly plays a major role here.

I think jailing Islamic terrorist is the best thing to happen, dead Muslims are heroes and martyrs, jailed Muslims are not martyrs and I think it is good to keep them jailed.

And I agree, Geert Wilders is a loudmouthed populist who does nothing to end Muslim problems, he only adds to them.

Yeah, but freeing "political prisoners" is often the argument too. Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich. Their plot was to demand the release of 234 Palestinians and non-Arabs jailed in Israel.

So, Islamists turn their dead and their living into martyrs. Better a dead martyr than a living excuse, I always say.

Dutch media reports that the Asylum request of Jawed S. had been denied a year ago but he was able to remain free while the appeal was still being decided on.
And there we have the real motive.....

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

Would you class school shootings as terroist attacks in that case? Kinda reminds me of the time Anders Brevik was described as using "terroist like tactics". Skin colour definetly plays a major role here.

This incident is a terrorist event pure and simple. He was killing in the name of Allah. He was a religious fanatic, but not insane. He knew what he was doing and why. That's a lot different then some mentally deranged teenager shooting up a school. Now if that teenager was sane but shot up the school because he was white and hated blacks then it is domestic terrorism. And we identify it as such. Skin color has nothing to do with whether it's considered terrorism; except the victims are often a different color than the attacker.

And what does the funding of the CDC have to do with any other entity studying the issue?

Nice evasion of the fact that you didn't know what the CDC did.

The CDC is the primary collector of data on health care (and that includes deaths [and the causes of death]) in the United States of America.

The CDC is prevented, by law, from doing anything that even remotely impinges on research into the CAUSES of "gun deaths".

The CDC is, however, allowed to REPORT on the number of deaths from each cause (including "gun deaths").

The cost of, independently, collecting the data which the CDC already has would be prohibitive - to say nothing about the fact that such data collection methods would be plagued by the fact that no jurisdiction would be required to provide it.

This incident is a terrorist event pure and simple. He was killing in the name of Allah. He was a religious fanatic, but not insane. He knew what he was doing and why. That's a lot different then some mentally deranged teenager shooting up a school. Now if that teenager was sane but shot up the school because he was white and hated blacks then it is domestic terrorism. And we identify it as such. Skin color has nothing to do with whether it's considered terrorism; except the victims are often a different color than the attacker.

What was Anders Brevik in that case? He was bombing in the name of white supremicism was he not? Even with school shootings theres often something of an ideology behind it.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/05/25/santa-fe-high-school-shooting-an-incel-killing/

What was Anders Brevik in that case? He was bombing in the name of white supremicism was he not? Even with school shootings theres often something of an ideology behind it.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/05/25/santa-fe-high-school-shooting-an-incel-killing/

I consider white supremacists to be terrorists. Terrorists can be home grown or foreign. Giving that there are plenty of home grown ones, of all races, why import more? It is time for Mideast nations to take in their neighbors, on a much larger scale than they have been. Some don't even recognize refugee status.

I consider white supremacists to be terrorists. Terrorists can be home grown or foreign. Giving that there are plenty of home grown ones, of all races, why import more? It is time for Mideast nations to take in their neighbors, on a much larger scale than they have been. Some don't even recognize refugee status.

Any person who resorts to tactics that are designed to induce terror and to compel people to do what they want them to do because those people are afraid that they will be killed if they do IS a Terrorist - REGARDLESS of "ideology".

Any person who DOES NOT resort to tactics that are designed to induce terror and to compel people to do what they want them to do because those people are afraid that they will be killed if they do IS NOT a Terrorist - REGARDLESS of "ideology".

"Terrorism" is a TACTIC and NOT a BELIEF.

Any person who resorts to tactics that are designed to induce terror and to compel people to do what they want them to do because those people are afraid that they will be killed if they do IS a Terrorist - REGARDLESS of "ideology".

Any person who DOES NOT resort to tactics that are designed to induce terror and to compel people to do what they want them to do because those people are afraid that they will be killed if they do IS NOT a Terrorist - REGARDLESS of "ideology".

"Terrorism" is a TACTIC and NOT a BELIEF.

Semantics. Terrorists always have an ideology. They believe their acts are justified because of that ideology...... The crazy, deranged, mentally unstable mass killer has no ideology, just a desire to take as many people with him as he can. Both instill terror and fear; their effects on people are the same. When you're running for your life or cowering under a desk it doesn't matter if the killer is labeled "insane" or a "terrorist".

Semantics. Terrorists always have an ideology.

Is "I'm pissed off because I can't get laid and going to show everyone how pissed off I am." an "ideology"?

They believe their acts are justified because of that ideology......

Some do. On the other hand some people believe that their acts are justified because they are pissed off about the fact that they can't get laid.

The crazy, deranged, mentally unstable mass killer has no ideology, just a desire to take as many people with him as he can.

Yep, and that person is NOT a "terrorist" - they are just crazy.

Both instill terror and fear; their effects on people are the same.

Yep, but one does what they do IN ORDER TO instill terror and fear in furtherance of some end goal while others instill terror and fear BECAUSE OF what they do.

When you're running for your life or cowering under a desk it doesn't matter if the killer is labeled "insane" or a "terrorist".

Now there we are in agreement.

On the other hand, to understand why the person is doing what they are doing it is rather important to understand if they are a "terrorist" or simply "insane" .

Back
Top Bottom