• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans Support Trump's Stance on Refugees

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The U.S. public has seldom approved of accepting large numbers of refugees. In October 2016, 54% of registered voters said the U.S. does not have a responsibility to accept refugees from Syria, while 41% said it does. There was a wide partisan gap on this measure, with 87% of Trump supporters saying the U.S. doesn’t have a responsibility to accept Syrians, compared with only 27% of Clinton supporters who said the same. U.S. public opinion polls from previous decades show Americans have largely opposed admitting large numbers of refugees from countries where people are fleeing war and oppression.
Key facts about refugees to the U.S. | Pew Research Center

It turns out that 1/3 Clinton supporters support Trump :lamo

Don't be swayed by crocodile tears and vitriol. Donald Trump's views on refugees are supported by a majority of Americans.

Don't be swayed by crocodile tears and vitriol. Donald Trump's views on refugees are supported by a majority of Americans.

You mean, 1/4 of Clinton supporters agree with Trump on one policy issue.

Okay, that's refugees. Trump's travel ban applies to all citizens for all reasons. How many Clinton supporters support banning Canadians or Swiss citizens from vacationing in America because their parents were born in Iran?

Okay, that's refugees. Trump's travel ban applies to all citizens for all reasons. How many Clinton supporters support banning Canadians or Swiss citizens from vacationing in America because their parents were born in Iran?

They are not banned.

They are banned for 90 days. Which is a pain if you have booked a holiday or a business trip.
Such a trade off is often necessary in the real world.

Balancing our continued national security vs their relatively momentary "pain"...I can imagine the scales in my mind. Can you see the side it logically tips towards?

Thanks. PEW is always an interesting read.

You all remember this quote:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin.

I seem to remember conservatives supporting this quote, especially when discussing gun rights. Now, I for one, disagree with Franklin's quote, but then again, my disagreement is universal. Seems to me that some of our conservative friends are being hypocritical.

i dont

MOST people see all the people weeping and wailing, crying and moaning over the travel ban for what they are...the same mindless partisan extremist leftists that would vote for a steaming pile of **** with a D flag next to it that are committed to standing against ANYTHING Trump does.

The EO was poorly administered...but there is absolutely nothing wrong with stopping for a few minutes and making sure the vetting process is as solid as it can be. Hell...Obama did it and the leftists never said a word.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin.

I seem to remember conservatives supporting this quote, especially when discussing gun rights. Now, I for one, disagree with Franklin's quote, but then again, my disagreement is universal. Seems to me that some of our conservative friends are being hypocritical.

And what liberty are American citizens giving up exactly by not allowing visitors from other countries come to the US.

And what liberty are American citizens giving up exactly by not allowing visitors from other countries come to the US.

None, from what I see. Liberty, in my example, is more of a larger concept. From my observation, it is often conservatives who fight for liberty over safety and liberals who fight for safety over liberty. Yes, I understand that this is a huge generalization, but it often fits. However, in this case, the roles seem to be reversed.

None, from what I see. Liberty, in my example, is more of a larger concept. From my observation, it is often conservatives who fight for liberty over safety and liberals who fight for safety over liberty. Yes, I understand that this is a huge generalization, but it often fits. However, in this case, the roles seem to be reversed.

Lots of things will be reversed shortly. America is going down a new path.

MOST people see all the people weeping and wailing, crying and moaning over the travel ban for what they are...the same mindless partisan extremist leftists that would vote for a steaming pile of **** with a D flag next to it that are committed to standing against ANYTHING Trump does.

The EO was poorly administered...but there is absolutely nothing wrong with stopping for a few minutes and making sure the vetting process is as solid as it can be. Hell...Obama did it and the leftists never said a word.

How do you extreme vet tourists and businessmen? How long does the process take? What are the economic costs of doing so?

Such a trade off is often necessary in the real world.

Balancing our continued national security vs their relatively momentary "pain"...I can imagine the scales in my mind. Can you see the side it logically tips towards?

Given that any national or religion could be a terrorist/criminal, surely your national security must require a ban on all citizens in the world from entering the US.

All of this outrage worked well against the establishment. It doesn't seem nearly as effective against Trump's populism. It also doesn't seem the Democrats are nimble enough to change direction or even aware that they need to. They are still riding the same horse that brung 'em.

Can you point out where in the Constitution it states that non-citizen refugees from other nations are guaranteed rights to live in this country? If it's not there then it's not an essential liberty. :doh

27% of Clinton supporters

When did 27% become 1 out of 3?

This is not entirely accurate, and a bit of a hollow victory to walk away with that conclusion.

It does turns out that "27% of Clinton supporters" think that the US "does not have a responsibility to accept refugees from Syria." But that is not really the point of the study.

The main point of that research is to illustrate that the US has allowed refugees into this nation all along, even though the amounts of those allowed in fluctuate based on "global events" (which of course determines who qualifies as refugee) and political dispositions of our government at the time. The biggest impact to the trend, over the study period, was post 9-11 thinking. When this nation by majority decided "safety at the expense of liberty" and we birthed today's flavor of anti-refugee sentiment that still exists today, created the bloated NSA and all that it implies, designed systematic removal of the 4th Amendment at the whim of political intentions, and in the end came up with the Patriot Act that turned out to be the largest power grab by the government over the populace in modern times. Also important to note, while the influx of Muslim refugees was on the incline before Trump's policies we were still accepting plenty of others from other religions as well. At the same time we have been allowing Muslim refugees into this nation both before and after 9-11 suggesting the politics of the situation is what people are clinging to instead of the facts the Pew Report is trying to present.

All that said, the stat that "54% of registered voters said the U.S. does not have a responsibility to accept refugees from Syria, while 41% said it does" means that 54% of the nation is looking to continued governance to "protect them" via the illusion of policy they think keeps them safe. Those are political leaning determinations, and that is with the harsh reality that we have little evidence we are more really more safe after Trump's policies. And speaking of Trump, all he represents is a shift to right leaning authoritarianism from Obama's brand of left wing authoritarianism.

In the end the conclusion is the same, the illusion of safety.

How do you extreme vet tourists and businessmen? How long does the process take? What are the economic costs of doing so?
Well now see? If you have to ask that question, its a pretty good indicator that you need to find out. And I'm more concerned with the potential costs of NOT doing this.

Did you support Obama's refugee ban?

Given that any national or religion could be a terrorist/criminal, surely your national security must require a ban on all citizens in the world from entering the US.
That is like saying any liquid one drinks could be poison. We pretty much know which liquids are likely poisonous and so therefore which to stay away from.

Except for the fact that that got fixed in short order to allow for certain exemptions... But don't let things like facts get in the way of your hate.

They are banned for 90 days. Which is a pain if you have booked a holiday or a business trip.

All those Somali tourists are just plugging up the lines at California Adventure, and then there's all the Iraqi's crowding out people at Yosemite...

Back
Top Bottom