• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon cancels plans to build New York headquarters

Please continue to point out falsehoods when you think you see them. That of course is your right and is worthy activity. And of course unchallenged falsehoods don't foster productive debate, political or otherwise. Please carry on.

But every time I do, you butt into the conversation to repeat this stupid point that facts do not matter, while applauding people repeating the falsehood. So your actions don't match your words.

That said, please understand that I find none of that interesting, so I won't be worrying about truth or falsehood. Nor do I think any participant in politics is obliged to seek "productive" debate. Their interest is in "effective" debate (that is, helpful to their cause). I'm here for that theater, which I do find interesting.

Right, all you care about is pushing BS narratives rooted in falsehoods. Got it.

But every time I do, you butt into the conversation to repeat this stupid point that facts do not matter, while applauding people repeating the falsehood. So your actions don't match your words.

Right, all you care about is pushing BS narratives rooted in falsehoods. Got it.

I don't think I applaud falsehoods, but I applaud those who understand why appearance is more important than substance in this matter. In a way I'm charmed by your naive belief that AOC's inconsequential role in reality will save her from the consequences of her huge role in myth that she created herself.

Congrats, NYC/Long Island. You lost out on about 2.5 billion in initial investment, construction contracts, etc and approx 2.5 billion in annual job revenue. You no longer have to worry about those 25,000 jobs (and lets not forget the benefits package Amazon offers including tuition assistance, retirement plans, and health care) they would have brought to your city.

You 'won'!

I don't think I applaud falsehoods, but I applaud those who understand why appearance is more important than substance in this matter. In a way I'm charmed by your naive belief that AOC's inconsequential role in reality will save her from the consequences of her huge role in myth that she created herself.

No, you just "like" comments that repeat falsehoods and challenge everyone that sets the record straight.

And I didn't say I believed that her non-existent role will save her from a bunch of idiots and ignoramuses believing she had a big role and using her face as their convenient punching bag. Propaganda works, the right wing bubble is a real thing, and in this case others actually involved appear to have an interest in diverting blame from them to AOC.

But as to my alleged naive belief that you made up, because I never asserted such a belief, we have an entire political movement that appears to actually believe tax cuts pay for themselves, which makes up a central feature of the modern GOP not only as to principles but what they DO in office, which is tax cuts. I've had a running debate with people who assert the taxpayers putting a $3 billion weight on the scale in favor of a single company is "free markets" in action. So I do not underestimate the ability of right wingers (or left for that matter) to believe all kinds of stuff that's not true. It's a defining trait of the GOP these days.

Last edited:
No, you just "like" comments that repeat falsehoods and challenge everyone that sets the record straight.

And I didn't say I believed that her non-existent role will save her from a bunch of idiots and ignoramuses believing she had a big role and using her face as their convenient punching bag. Propaganda works, the right wing bubble is a real thing. My goodness, we have an entire political movement that appears to actually believe tax cuts pay for themselves. So I do not underestimate the ability of right wingers (or left for that matter) to believe all kinds of stuff that's not true. It's a defining trait of the GOP these days.

AOC's politically lethal enemies are not on the right or in the GOP. They are fact checkers and her fellow Democrats.

AOC's politically lethal enemies are not on the right or in the GOP. They are fact checkers and her fellow Democrats.

Right, but you've told me 10 times now facts don't matter, only the BS fact-free narrative you're applauding and advancing...

Oh my no. The right has already gone after her dancing, her schooling, and now her boyfriend.. She may not be a favorite in Dem circles. But she is absolutely hated by the Right. She's a woman, a Democrat and a minority. Lots of red meat there for the right.

Right, but you've told me 10 times now facts don't matter, only the BS fact-free narrative you're applauding and advancing...

I don't applaud it; I just recognize it as the most important aspect of the situation.
I suspect she will face a primary challenge, running against her job-killing rep and documented factual stumbles.

Oh my no. The right has already gone after her dancing, her schooling, and now her boyfriend.. She may not be a favorite in Dem circles. But she is absolutely hated by the Right. She's a woman, a Democrat and a minority. Lots of red meat there for the right.

And they have had the good sense to just step back and let the intra-Democrat sniping begin.

And they have had the good sense to just step back and let the intra-Democrat sniping begin.

LOL.. No, they don't. You're talking in circles. Earlier in this thread you said the right will make political points off of AOC stance on this Amazon deal.. Now you are saying they'll ignore her?

Make up your mind.

LOL.. No, they don't. You're talking in circles. Earlier in this thread you said the right will make political points off of AOC stance on this Amazon deal.. Now you are saying they'll ignore her?

Make up your mind.

Both. They are laying off right now to let the intra-Democrat fighting fully mature. At the same time they are stockpiling video and sound bites. If she loses in the Dem primary then Repubs will run their ads to show that even Dems have turned against the left. If she wins in the primary then they will run the ads to show how crazy the Dems are.

Both. They are laying off right now to let the intra-Democrat fighting fully mature. At the same time they are stockpiling video and sound bites. If she loses in the Dem primary then Repubs will run their ads to show that even Dems have turned against the left. If she wins in the primary then they will run the ads to show how crazy the Dems are.

They’re not laying off. They just attacked her boyfriend for being on her payroll, which of course he's not. But facts and truth doesn't matter to Fox and the rest..

And what primary are you talking about? She's only 29. She can't even run for Prez for 5-6 years. And no Republican has a chance in hell to win in her Ny district. So what primary are you talking about?

They’re not laying off. They just attacked her boyfriend for being on her payroll, which of course he's not. But facts and truth doesn't matter to Fox and the rest..

And what primary are you talking about? She's only 29. She can't even run for Prez for 5-6 years. And no Republican has a chance in hell to win in her Ny district. So what primary are you talking about?

The same Congressional primary she won against a ten-term incumbent.

You guys are missing the point. Nothing matters less than what she really did or didn't do. With her ubiquitous and eager social media presence she has made herself a political symbol. Just as quarterbacks get too much praise or blame, AOC will get too much praise or blame over Amazon. That's just politics, and remember: this site is DebatePolitics, not DebateHistory.

She shot her ignorant mouth off against the deal, the media stuck her on their screens, she was the face of those against the deal, and Amazon pulled out. It's on her.

I don't applaud it; I just recognize it as the most important aspect of the situation.
I suspect she will face a primary challenge, running against her job-killing rep and documented factual stumbles.

OK, so you're not applauding it, just advancing the BS, fact free narrative and cheering those who are applauding it. I stand corrected.

She is uninformed, but why lie about her causing the deal to collapse. If you've read the thread you know that's false. She had nothing to do with it collapsing. You'll have to look at people with actual power in NYC and NYS politics for that, and AOC isn't one of them.
Now, c'mon, I know you don't really believe that. Who was the only person that was on TV, all the cable networks, speaking out against the deal? A-oc. Amazon even said it, without naming her. That press release was directly a response to her railing against them.

Well, you get points for saying she is uniformed. Even though that's obvious, most libs here could never bring themselves to even acknowledge that fact.

Now, c'mon, I know you don't really believe that. Who was the only person that was on TV, all the cable networks, speaking out against the deal? A-oc. Amazon even said it, without naming her. That press release was directly a response to her railing against them.

Well, you get points for saying she is uniformed. Even though that's obvious, most libs here could never bring themselves to even acknowledge that fact.

Could be but no one quotes her, produces video of all these bad things she said, no nothing. It's bare assertion backed by nothing.

And she has no power to kill a multi-$BILLION deal in NYC and if the parties who do have power wanted to, they'd swat her away like a gnat along with the liberal activists who you can see pretty routinely in NYC protesting. I only get there once a year or so and I've seen several protests. The power brokers don't pay them any mind, except when they're useful punching bags, like here.

Could be but no one quotes her, produces video of all these bad things she said, no nothing. It's bare assertion backed by nothing.

And she has no power to kill a multi-$BILLION deal in NYC and if the parties who do have power wanted to, they'd swat her away like a gnat along with the liberal activists who you can see pretty routinely in NYC protesting. I only get there once a year or so and I've seen several protests. The power brokers don't pay them any mind, except when they're useful punching bags, like here.

Well, Amazon killed the deal, because of all the negative comments, lead by A-oc. Now she is getting heat from the Governor and others in her own party for causing this. 25k jobs with an average pay of $150,000. $27.5 billion in taxes from those jobs over a 30 year period, for a $3 billion tax break. Not to mention a revitalization of a crap neighborhood. Those people are not happy. And they are pointing the finger at her.

Well, Amazon killed the deal, because of all the negative comments, lead by A-oc. Now she is getting heat from the Governor and others in her own party for causing this. 25k jobs with an average pay of $150,000. $27.5 billion in taxes from those jobs over a 30 year period, for a $3 billion tax break. Not to mention a revitalization of a crap neighborhood. Those people are not happy. And they are pointing the finger at her.

Read the articles posted at least a dozen times on this thread about the state Senator who killed the deal. I'm tired of arguing against myth while you're ignoring the facts.

Read the articles posted at least a dozen times on this thread about the state Senator who killed the deal. I'm tired of arguing against myth while you're ignoring the facts.

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

--from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Oh, there's plenty of stupid to go around on this one. They all get a whopping share. But, I bet if you ask anyone in the area who it was that caused Amazon to pull out, A-oc will be your number one answer.

Back
Top Bottom