• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

All right people, help me out...

it's just me

Non Bidenary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I need a month's worth of Advent songs - old, new, contemporary, traditional, whatever you have. If you are wondering what a month's worth of songs is, it's 20-25 pieces.

What have you got?

I need a month's worth of Advent songs - old, new, contemporary, traditional, whatever you have. If you are wondering what a month's worth of songs is, it's 20-25 pieces.

What have you got?

Funny you should ask; I was doing a bit of research myself this afternoon.

https://churchpop.com/2014/12/06/20-religious-songs-advent/

https://www.songandpraise.org/advent-hymns.htm

Haven't followed any of the links here, but you might want to: Anglican Music: Search results for advent hymns

Funny you should ask; I was doing a bit of research myself this afternoon.

https://churchpop.com/2014/12/06/20-religious-songs-advent/

https://www.songandpraise.org/advent-hymns.htm

Haven't followed any of the links here, but you might want to: Anglican Music: Search results for advent hymns

I have some of these in my repertoire but the hymnal we use has so few advent songs I could use them up in one service, and most of the ones I found on You Tube were huge orchestral arrangements.

Thanks for the links, I knew I could count on you.

I also like to do "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" to the Hyfrydol tune.

Also, I am a HUGE John Michael Talbot fan.

Oh, yes.

Okay, I've been stalling on taking the guts of my huge portable drive (pet accident) to a place that can transfer all my music files to a ginormous portable drive, so I don't have access to everything. But I'm going through what I do have, so "On Jordan's Banks...," "O Come Divine Messiah," "Of the Father's Love Begotten," and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." And this (the descant that begins at 2:21 is excellent):

Oh, yes.

Okay, I've been stalling on taking the guts of my huge portable drive (pet accident) to a place that can transfer all my music files to a ginormous portable drive, so I don't have access to everything. But I'm going through what I do have, so "On Jordan's Banks...," "O Come Divine Messiah," "Of the Father's Love Begotten," and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." And this (the descant that begins at 2:21 is excellent):

"Of the Father's Love Begotten" is a Christmas song, no cheating. Sigh.

Oh, yes.

The descant makes the hair on my arm stand up. Beautiful.

I also like to do "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" to the Hyfrydol tune.

Had to look this up, and thank you. The version set to this melody is mine too. Others will recognize this as "Alleluiah, Sing to Jesus."

Had to look this up, and thank you. The version set to this melody is mine too. Others will recognize this as "Alleluiah, Sing to Jesus."

Unless I am very much mistaken, I think both tunes are used in our hymnal, but don't quote me on that.

Unless I am very much mistaken, I think both tunes are used in our hymnal, but don't quote me on that.

I can't remember which at the moment, but there is another tune that at least three hymns use.

Just for you:

I can't remember which at the moment, but there is another tune that at least three hymns use.

Just for you:

Sounds like a Pentecost tune.

But you were talking about different hymns having the same tune. You can swap them around if they have the same meter, I sometimes do that with psalms written to a musical meter.

My favorite example is "Amazing Grace", which can be sung to a whole list of tunes, but the only ones I remember are "Purple Haze" and "Gilligan's Island".

Sounds like a Pentecost tune.

Oh, it is. But the lyrics deserve contemplation every day, at least in my opinion.

But you were talking about different hymns having the same tune. You can swap them around if they have the same meter, I sometimes do that with psalms written to a musical meter.

My favorite example is "Amazing Grace", which can be sung to a whole list of tunes, but the only ones I remember are "Purple Haze" and "Gilligan's Island".

I'm trying to remember--is it "My Country T'is of Thee" that all Emily Dickinson poems can be sung to? I know "The Yellow Rose of Texas" can be, and here's the deal on the theme to "Gilligan's Island": Did you realize how many songs and poems can be sung to the 'Gilligan's Island' theme song?

Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee.....I saw a rendition that was lively and celebratory! It has a faster tempo.

Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee.....I saw a rendition that was lively and celebratory! It has a faster tempo.

I'd like to think that Beethoven would dig it. Whether it was his works being performed on a Moog synthesizer in the 1960's or more standard treatments such as Josh Groban's version of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring," I believe good old Bach would have loved this:

delete

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are seeking in the way of music, but I lean towards contemporary Christian music. I will give you three and you can tell me if this is the type you like.

I'm not sure what you are seeking in the way of music, but I lean towards contemporary Christian music. I will give you three and you can tell me if this is the type you like.

Advent is the season of repentance that remembers the first coming of Christ and looks forward to the second coming of Christ. It lasts for four Sundays. Advent music is distinct from general hymns and from any other season.

Advent is the season of repentance that remembers the first coming of Christ and looks forward to the second coming of Christ. It lasts for four Sundays. Advent music is distinct from general hymns and from any other season.

I figured I was using the wrong music, but it's still great music.

Back
Top Bottom