• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Air Force One Needs New Refrigerators. They Cost $24 Million

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

By Marcus Weisgerber
January 24, 2018

160320-F-WU507-030.JPG

Air Force One needs new refrigerators, an upgrade that will cost taxpayers nearly $24 million. Their high cost is the latest example of just how expensive it is to build the heavily modified 747 jumbo jets that fly the president of the United States. Experts say the reason isn’t price gouging by Boeing, which makes the jets and handles the presidential modifications, but instead the result of bespoke equipment requirements put in place by the White House Military Office and the Air Force. “It’s not a contractor issue, it is a requirements issue,” said Richard Aboulafia, vice president of analysis at the Teal Group consulting firm. “It’s not getting people rich.” The refrigerators on the plane date to 1990, when the Air Force received the customized 747 from Boeing.

The new refrigerators aren’t your kitchen Frigidaires, or even a typical jetliner’s cabin-feeding coolboxes. The requirement for Air Force One is the ability to feed passengers and crew for weeks without resupplying. That means storing about 3,000 meals in massive refrigerators and freezers below the passenger cabin. Five “chillers” cool a total of 26 climate-controlled compartments, according to the Air Force. In December, the Air Force awarded Boeing a $23.7 million contract to replace two of the chillers, which cool eight compartments. Boeing declined to comment on the deal, referring all questions to the Air Force. Aboulafia said the refrigerators, and many other items on the aircraft, are so expensive because they are they are unique to Air Force One and not used on commercial or business jets. Many of the contractors that work on the presidential jet also must maintain high-level security clearances. The work is expected to be finished in October 2019.

Two "chiller units" for Air Force One cost $24 million to manufacture and install. There are two Air Force One airliners (28000/29000) and each plane has five chillers.

That leaves eight more chillers that will need replacement for a cool $96 million (pun intended).

As I understand it, the U.S. Air Force has contracted to purchase two of a bankrupt Russian firm's (Transaero) undelivered 747-8 airliners from Boeing to save money. They are currently sitting (mothballed) in the Mojave Desert. They must be refitted to meet USAF standards for Air Force One aircraft.

The requirement for Air Force One is the ability to feed passengers and crew for weeks without resupplying.

Since no plane can fly for weeks without landing, it follows that the only purpose of those meals would be a crash/forced landing. I'm picturing a scenario in which those meals would actually be necessary to keep the POTUS and his entourage fed. I'm having trouble foreseeing such an event. Are we supposed to picture AF1 down, unable to take off again, and the CIC directing a lengthy war from some remote spot? Sounds like a theme for a bad movie to me.

You can get a Mickey "D"s franchise for less than that!

Smacks of $600 toilet seats and $200 hammers...

Since no plane can fly for weeks without landing, it follows that the only purpose of those meals would be a crash/forced landing. I'm picturing a scenario in which those meals would actually be necessary to keep the POTUS and his entourage fed. I'm having trouble foreseeing such an event. Are we supposed to picture AF1 down, unable to take off again, and the CIC directing a lengthy war from some remote spot? Sounds like a theme for a bad movie to me.

I'm gonna guess that AF1 has air to air refueling capabilities.....so as long as something doesn't break....

Two "chiller units" for Air Force One cost $24 million to manufacture and install. There are two Air Force One airliners (28000/29000) and each plane has five chillers.

That leaves eight more chillers that will need replacement for a cool $96 million (pun intended).

As I understand it, the U.S. Air Force has contracted to purchase two of a bankrupt Russian firm's (Transaero) undelivered 747-8 airliners from Boeing to save money. They are currently sitting (mothballed) in the Mojave Desert. They must be refitted to meet USAF standards for Air Force One aircraft.

And whats your point in posting this?

<debate forum

They can fly for long periods of time with planes that refuel them in the air.

Why does a fridge cost 24 million dollars?

Its only monopoly money no problem. Must keep that Diet Pepsi cold for President Richie Rich.

ed376ba445937786419022f9eea069d1_l[1].jpg

Last edited:

Id really like to know what a standard shipping chiller for aviation rated to 70 cubic feet would cost. I have no idea how to find out short of getting a quote from any of the various manufacturers.

Reserve judgment on the cost until we see something along those lines.

There would also be an issue with powering the refrigerators in this scenario. As you said, it's unlikely. They could also deal with MRE's in this situation.

I think a more likely issue would be going on a trip to a foreign country, where security requirements would make it simpler to bring food along than to depend on local sourcing. Clinton's tour of Aftrica comes to mind.

Id really like to know what a standard shipping chiller for aviation rated to 70 cubic feet would cost. I have no idea how to find out short of getting a quote from any of the various manufacturers.

Reserve judgment on the cost until we see something along those lines.

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/28/new-refrigerators-air-force-one-cost-23-6-million/

OK so there is more to the story than the OP posted go figure on that.

the current units are failing. however the current units are also just commercial grade default chillers.
they were not designed to run like they are being run.

next the new chillers have to be designed per military spec etc ...
that costs a lot of money next they have to pass FAA standards again expensive.

next it isn't like they are just pulling these things from airplane equivalent of lowes or home depot.

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/28/new-refrigerators-air-force-one-cost-23-6-million/

OK so there is more to the story than the OP posted go figure on that.

the current units are failing. however the current units are also just commercial grade default chillers.
they were not designed to run like they are being run.

next the new chillers have to be designed per military spec etc ...
that costs a lot of money next they have to pass FAA standards again expensive.

next it isn't like they are just pulling these things from airplane equivalent of lowes or home depot.

"The Boeing Co., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, has been awarded a $23,657,671 contract for engineering support services for VC-25A G12/G13 chillers, including prototype design, manufacture/procurement, installation, and the testing of one prototype, consisting of both Group A and Group B equipment."

Well, that makes a little more sense. They aren't just replacing units that already have been designed and installed, they're seriously upgrading the equipment, which requires design and testing. I still think it's throwing money away, though. The likelihood of needing to keep the president and his staff aboard Air Force One for "weeks at a time" is very, very low. Spending all that money for the refrigeration units, and however much more money gets spent every time all that food gets loaded up for every flight the president takes seems ridiculous, when MREs don't need refrigeration and would keep everyone alive for just as long as all that perishable food that is stored on board.

Why replace (at $96 million) the chillers on the old planes when the USAF is retrofitting two entirely new Air Force One planes?

There would also be an issue with powering the refrigerators in this scenario. As you said, it's unlikely. They could also deal with MRE's in this situation.

I think a more likely issue would be going on a trip to a foreign country, where security requirements would make it simpler to bring food along than to depend on local sourcing. Clinton's tour of Aftrica comes to mind.

I hadn't thought of MREs. If they're good enough for the troops then they should be good enough for the president and his minions.

The only thing AF1 needs is a new passenger.

Not necessarily a forced landing, but rather a planned one. POTUS has to evac and a remote location is the destination for 3 weeks.

They can fly for long periods of time with planes that refuel them in the air.

Why does a fridge cost 24 million dollars?

Try reading:
The new refrigerators aren’t your kitchen Frigidaires, or even a typical jetliner’s cabin-feeding coolboxes. The requirement for Air Force One is the ability to feed passengers and crew for weeks without resupplying. That means storing about 3,000 meals in massive refrigerators and freezers below the passenger cabin. Five “chillers” cool a total of 26 climate-controlled compartments, according to the Air Force.

"The Boeing Co., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, has been awarded a $23,657,671 contract for engineering support services for VC-25A G12/G13 chillers, including prototype design, manufacture/procurement, installation, and the testing of one prototype, consisting of both Group A and Group B equipment."

Well, that makes a little more sense. They aren't just replacing units that already have been designed and installed, they're seriously upgrading the equipment, which requires design and testing. I still think it's throwing money away, though. The likelihood of needing to keep the president and his staff aboard Air Force One for "weeks at a time" is very, very low. Spending all that money for the refrigeration units, and however much more money gets spent every time all that food gets loaded up for every flight the president takes seems ridiculous, when MREs don't need refrigeration and would keep everyone alive for just as long as all that perishable food that is stored on board.

It's good to be the president?
Honestly it wouldn't matter if it was trump or anyone else the same thing would be done.

I agree with the MRE's but hey what do i know. Our troops have to survive on MRE's for months at a time sometimes.

Why replace (at $96 million) the chillers on the old planes when the USAF is retrofitting two entirely new Air Force One planes?

They are breaking down currently. That runs a risk to the plane. Also the new planes are still years away from actual use.
they have to be retrofitted inspected tested multiple times over again.

I hadn't thought of MREs. If they're good enough for the troops then they should be good enough for the president and his minions.

you realize that there will be more presidents than just trump right?
so the whenever the next democrat is elected president him and his minions will
use the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom