• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Adam Schiff Opening Statement On Trump Wiretapping Claims Comey Testifies 3 20 17

cuban smokes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Adam Schiff Opening Statement On Trump Wiretapping Claims Comey Testifies 3 20 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SSa9-BC7LM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam Schiff lays out a compelling case for a very broad, expanded investigation into Russian influence in regard to the 2016 Presidential election.

Mr. Schiff is a former Federal prosecutor & and listening to the video it is pretty obvious he has been doing some serious homework.

After listening to Schiff's comments on Trump's associates I bet they are a bit uncomfortable; Schiff is dead serious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam Schiff lays out a compelling case for a very broad, expanded investigation into Russian influence in regard to the 2016 Presidential election.

Mr. Schiff is a former Federal prosecutor & and listening to the video it is pretty obvious he has been doing some serious homework.

After listening to Schiff's comments on Trump's associates I bet they are a bit uncomfortable; Schiff is dead serious.

Adam Schiff is a political hack that for nothing more than political gain is endangering the country by making accusations of treason by the sitting President without any evidence whatsoever. At the end of this long, serious, list that impressed you so much, did he say he had any proof, or facts, or evidence to support his claims? Or, did he say he didn't know, and that an investigation would find the truth? And, why wouldn't the FBI Director confirming an FBI investigation into the Russian governments actions to interfere in the US election, and any ties to US persons, and any coordination with the Trump campaign, be exactly what he asked for, which is a non-partisan investigation into the facts?

I've been watching the hearing from the very beginning. The Democrats have already decided what happened. By there own statements and accusations, they have accused the sitting President of treason. They are willing to destroy the country, to topple Trump.

Who wasn't dead serious was that Grima Wormtongue Nunes and his pathetic statement and questions, trying to make this about... wait for it... Clinton.

Adam Schiff is a political hack that for nothing more than political gain is endangering the country by making accusations of treason by the sitting President without any evidence whatsoever. At the end of this long, serious, list that impressed you so much, did he say he had any proof, or facts, or evidence to support his claims? Or, did he say he didn't know, and that an investigation would find the truth? And, why wouldn't the FBI Director confirming an FBI investigation into the Russian governments actions to interfere in the US election, and any ties to US persons, and any coordination with the Trump campaign, be exactly what he asked for, which is a non-partisan investigation into the facts?

I've been watching the hearing from the very beginning. The Democrats have already decided what happened. By there own statements and accusations, they have accused the sitting President of treason. They are willing to destroy the country, to topple Trump.

I would recommend listening to Mr. Schiff's opening statement; there are some comments within that I was previously not aware of.

As he states, these things could be coincidental but they need to be thoroughly investigated.

Adam Schiff is a political hack that for nothing more than political gain is endangering the country by making accusations of treason by the sitting President without any evidence whatsoever.

A. You haven't demonstrated him to be a hack. Just saying he's one won't magically make him one.
B. The country isn't in any danger from what he had to say.
C. No evidence? That's why we have investigations. This is really simple stuff.
At the end of this long, serious, list that impressed you so much, did he say he had any proof, or facts, or evidence to support his claims?

He doesn't have to. That's what the FBI and their investigation are for. He's laying out a case, not leading a prosecution.
Or, did he say he didn't know, and that an investigation would find the truth? And, why wouldn't the FBI Director confirming an FBI investigation into the Russian governments actions to interfere in the US election, and any ties to US persons, and any coordination with the Trump campaign, be exactly what he asked for, which is a non-partisan investigation into the facts?

That's what he's getting, as far as we know.

If you've been watching this form the beginning, then why did you ask the questions you asked above?

Just more 'nothing to see here, folks, move along' denial from those who would excuse Trump from anything and everything.

I would recommend listening to Mr. Schiff's opening statement; there are some comments within that I was previously not aware of.

As he states, these things could be coincidental but they need to be thoroughly investigated.

I told you that I've watched the entire hearing from the beginning. That would include what Schiff had to say. He's a very talented lawyer, and knows how to spin a tale of circumstantial events into what sounds like a web of conspiracy. However, his statements do not constitute factual evidence.

As I said above, the FBI director stated that there is an investigation into everything he discussed. See the video below beginning at time mark 0:50 for the statement:

I am glad that the FBI is investigating. That's who should be doing this, not the Congress. I have stated on here before, that once the FBI has completed its investigation at least to the point that they can take facts and evidence to Congress, then and only then should Congress have their hearings. The reason I say this is because I don't want the Congress, either political party, to taint any evidence and screw up the possibility of prosecuting and imprisoning anyone that has broken the law.

Last edited:
Who wasn't dead serious was that Grima Wormtongue Nunes and his pathetic statement and questions, trying to make this about... wait for it... Clinton.

?????

This is about Clinton. If Trump had lost the election there wouldn't be any of this lunacy going on.

A. You haven't demonstrated him to be a hack. Just saying he's one won't magically make him one.
B. The country isn't in any danger from what he had to say.
C. No evidence? That's why we have investigations. This is really simple stuff.

He doesn't have to. That's what the FBI and their investigation are for. He's laying out a case, not leading a prosecution.

That's what he's getting, as far as we know.

If you've been watching this form the beginning, then why did you ask the questions you asked above?

Just more 'nothing to see here, folks, move along' denial from those who would excuse Trump from anything and everything.

It's my opinion. You have every right to disagree, but that doesn't mean I have to change my opinion about something that is subjective, which subjective opinions are based on just that, opinion.

If you think what Schiff is doing is good for the country, then you can support him, and be prepared to defend him from now on.

Re: Adam Schiff Opening Statement On Trump Wiretapping Claims Comey Testifies 3 20 17
Beaudreaux, et al,

Certainly, there is something in what you say.

(COMMENT)

It was going to happen sooner or later. Enough people in America lost the trust and confidence in the Political Leadership in Congress, that they disregarded the mainstream candidates and looked for an alternative. The Republicans and (especially) the Democrats are by going after the President in office only three months, absolutely show how obsessed they are with politics and how incompetent the are in the performance as leaders in government.

At first, I did not think much of the President. But now --- after seeing the childish reaction by the Congress, a much to do about nothing, I'm sure we need to get even more of these lazy ass professional parasites in Congress out.

Most Respectfully,
R

I would think that if there's no evidence the administration and Trump's supporters should welcome an investigation. It's the only way this whole controversy will be put to rest.
Trouble is, in the atmosphere that's developed, neither side will believe any result that disagrees with their agenda. No matter what the FBI comes up with, half the country will say, and believe, that they're corrupt and lying.
Is there any way out?

I told you that I've watched the entire hearing from the beginning. That would include what Schiff had to say. He's a very talented lawyer, and knows how to spin a tale of circumstantial events into what sounds like a web of conspiracy. However, his statements do not constitute factual evidence.

I am glad that the FBI is investigating. That's who should be doing this, not the Congress. I have stated on here before, that once the FBI has completed its investigation at least to the point that they can take facts and evidence to Congress, then and only then should Congress have their hearings. The reason I say this is because I don't want the Congress, either political party, to taint any evidence and screw up the possibility of prosecuting and imprisoning anyone that has broken the law.

I see you have upgraded Mr. Schiff from, "a political hack" to a, "very talented lawyer."
Pretty nice improvement in my book.

You stated, "his statements do not constitute factual evidence" yet Mr. Schiff did mention several items in his opening statement that ARE factual; facts that require further investigation to determine if there has been any nefarious activities.

Re: Adam Schiff Opening Statement On Trump Wiretapping Claims Comey Testifies 3 20 17
Beaudreaux, et al,

Certainly, there is something in what you say.

(COMMENT)

It was going to happen sooner or later. Enough people in America lost the trust and confidence in the Political Leadership in Congress, that they disregarded the mainstream candidates and looked for an alternative. The Republicans and (especially) the Democrats are by going after the President in office only three months, absolutely show how obsessed they are with politics and how incompetent the are in the performance as leaders in government.

At first, I did not think much of the President. But now --- after seeing the childish reaction by the Congress, a much to do about nothing, I'm sure we need to get even more of these lazy ass professional parasites in Congress out.

Most Respectfully,
R

You seem to imply that there should be no concern over the potential for Russian interference in the US Presidential election process; why is that?

You also seem to imply your lack of a positive impression with Trump UNTIL you believed Congress is on a wild goose chase.
Why would the actions of Congress offer you the ability to see Trump in a more positive light?
That makes no sense.

?????

This is about Clinton. If Trump had lost the election there wouldn't be any of this lunacy going on.

No, the FBI investigating collusion between Trump and the Russians isn't about Clinton.

She's tangential to it, but not the target of the investigation.

Last edited:
No, the FBI investigation collusion between Trump and the Russians isn't about Clinton.

She's tangential to it, but not the target of the investigation.

it would seem that some here are not paying much attention at all

He's made a very good case as for why the investigations are necessary and laid out a timeline. This seems to upset you for some reason. To attempt to pass it off as 'spin' seems rather desperate.

Does anyone besides me feel that this idea that Donald Trump has so much knowledge and influence in the political arena, that back last year or before, he contrived this extraordinary plan to partner with the Russians to rig the election against Hillary so that he would win? I mean seriously. I love the man - think he's a mastermind for having won this Presidency but there is no way on this green earth that he managed to pull this plan off.

I do, however, believe Barack Obama was capable of and did manipulate all powers at his disposal to impact the election in favor of Hillary. I believe, that all of the powers at be last year, were in denial of just how much the American Pubic were sick of the way the country was headed.

Does anyone besides me feel that this idea that Donald Trump has so much knowledge and influence in the political arena, that back last year or before, he contrived this extraordinary plan to partner with the Russians to rig the election against Hillary so that he would win? I mean seriously. I love the man - think he's a mastermind for having won this Presidency but there is no way on this green earth that he managed to pull this plan off.

I do, however, believe Barack Obama was capable of and did manipulate all powers at his disposal to impact the election in favor of Hillary. I believe, that all of the powers at be last year, were in denial of just how much the American Pubic were sick of the way the country was headed.

IMO every bit of every angle of all of this needs to be investigated to where ever it leads; leaks, Russian interference, Trump's claims, everything ......

I'm pretty sure most people believe if there was collusion the 'masterminds' were the Russian intelligence services who appear quite capable enough to pull it off. The question is whether the Trump campaign coordinated with them, or not.

Not sure what powers you're talking about, but as a Democrat it's normal and expected Obama would help to elect Hillary as his successor and he was open about it. That does not imply that he did anything nefarious, and if you have evidence he did commit one or more wrongdoings, please be specific about what those were.

I would think that if there's no evidence the administration and Trump's supporters should welcome an investigation. It's the only way this whole controversy will be put to rest.
Trouble is, in the atmosphere that's developed, neither side will believe any result that disagrees with their agenda. No matter what the FBI comes up with, half the country will say, and believe, that they're corrupt and lying.
Is there any way out?

I absolutely welcome the investigation. If, when it's concluded, President Trump comes out clean, which looks more certain all the time, the Democrats will be even more politically insignificant than they already are.

The mistake they're making, is that they don't understand that the average American don't two ****s about the Russia Connection. Outside of the ranks of professional politicos and politics geeks like us, folks care about illegal immigration, the economy, jobs and what the hell's happening with the health insurance goat ****.

I'd say that if the Democrats are putting all their eggs in the Russia basket and the tax return basket, then they might as well call it quits and go home.

cuban smokes; et al,

Never, in the history of our nation, has Congress ever held hearings that successfully assisted in any counterintelligence investigation. Nothing I've heard, thus far, that has suggested that any of the Members of Congress are actually concerned about "Russian Interference."

You seem to imply that there should be no concern over the potential for Russian interference in the US Presidential election process; why is that?

You also seem to imply your lack of a positive impression with Trump UNTIL you believed Congress is on a wild goose chase.
Why would the actions of Congress offer you the ability to see Trump in a more positive light?
That makes no sense.
(COMMENT)

Maybe if I knew what the exact allegation is, I would change my mind. But as yet, I've not heard exactly what probable cause has come to light, that a crime has been committed.

What I've heard is political backstabbing, innuendo, and unsubstantiated allegations in an effect to smear The President, and hamper his effectiveness in office. In fact, Congress (with the assistance of the media) is damaging the Office of the President more than the Russian ever could. The Members of Congress actually show more allegiance to their political party then they do the people of the nation.

What I see (personal opinion), thus far, is a bit vindictiveness by the mainstream political parties because the threshold of the nation was broken in favor of something different. And I see (personal opinion), is the media and talk show pundits to make a story that focuses on something other than the real issue of why the mood of the people is moving away from the mainstream parties. Democrats focused on contacts with the Russians, while the Republicans seemed interested in leaks to the media.

I was less concerned about Russian meddling than I was about the Director's comment: Comey said. “One of the lessons they may draw from this is that they were successful, introducing chaos and discord” into the electoral process. “It’s possible they’re misreading that as ‘it worked,’ so we’ll come back and hit them again in 2020,” Comey added.

Congress and the media are playing right into the hands of the Russians. In fact, both the media and the Russians have been known to use clandestine surveillance devices (CSD). And the Russian could have been the source of misinformation.

Was there a FISA surveillance on communications by MG Flynn with the Russian?

But I have not heard evidence of a crime.

Just My Thought,
R

Last edited:
Is there any way out?

That is the exact issue, heck is tomorrow trump turned out to be the second coming of jesus, cured cancer and ended world hunger and brought about peace, you would still have people arguing against him.

People talk about buyers remorse with trump, but to date I have yet to see anyone with it, all the people who I have met who supported him before the election still support him now , and all the people that opposed him before the election still oppose him now. The results of an investigation from the fbi will likely not change anything, it did not do it with hillary, it did not do it with bill lying under oath, and it did not do it with the iran contra for ragan.

That is the exact issue, heck is tomorrow trump turned out to be the second coming of jesus, cured cancer and ended world hunger and brought about peace, you would still have people arguing against him.

People talk about buyers remorse with trump, but to date I have yet to see anyone with it, all the people who I have met who supported him before the election still support him now , and all the people that opposed him before the election still oppose him now. The results of an investigation from the fbi will likely not change anything, it did not do it with hillary, it did not do it with bill lying under oath, and it did not do it with the iran contra for ragan.

Having something "change" is NOT THE POINT; THE POINT is getting to the truth of all of this BS .......

Having something "change" is NOT THE POINT; THE POINT is getting to the truth of all of this BS .......

I think it is the point but will not work. The left is putting everything in one basket that trump and russia worked together to cheat the election, they are hoping it will come true and put trump into impeachable grounds.

problem is despite an investigation, no evidence of it has surfaced. They are putting all bets on this issue and accusations rather than putting that effort into appealing to the voter base they lost in 2016, which is a massive gamble, if it backfires they might do even worse in 2018 and it may be until 2020 before they start to regain enough seats to make a difference.

I think it is the point but will not work. The left is putting everything in one basket that trump and russia worked together to cheat the election, they are hoping it will come true and put trump into impeachable grounds.

problem is despite an investigation, no evidence of it has surfaced. They are putting all bets on this issue and accusations rather than putting that effort into appealing to the voter base they lost in 2016, which is a massive gamble, if it backfires they might do even worse in 2018 and it may be until 2020 before they start to regain enough seats to make a difference.

technically Trump has already committed impeachable offences; the investigations may, or may not add to Trump's current issues

folks on both sides need to keep their noses clean, because there is dirt on both sides ............... let the chips fall where they may ........

Back
Top Bottom