• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Well That Sucks Water From The Air

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The "Water Seer" is a wind powered device that aims to extract up to 11 gallons of potable water from the air in one day. The air is pumped in to the metal chamber where it I cooled and the water particles collected in a reservoir (condensation). This machine is developed by VICI Labs. They plan to send out the first unit to the National Peace Corps Association.

The "Water Seer" is a wind powered device that aims to extract up to 11 gallons of potable water from the air in one day. The air is pumped in to the metal chamber where it I cooled and the water particles collected in a reservoir (condensation). This machine is developed by VICI Labs. They plan to send out the first unit to the National Peace Corps Association.

A dehumidifier of sorts, right? Wonder why no one's thought of that before in areas where there is little potable water...

Something like this sounds like a good idea on paper.However imagine what it would do to the weather if there were millions of these or even industrial sized versions of these sucking the moister out of the air?

I saw one of these for backpackers a few months ago. I like the cyclist version of the same thing. But, I doubt I would use one since access to water is not an issue for me. But if I ever needed to cover ground where water was scarce, this would do the trick.

The Fontus self-filling water bottle - Business Insider

Seriously, isn't that what a dehumidifier does?

Pretty much yes. It also does what an air conditioner does, but captures the water instead of letting it evaporate. If this is solar powered it would be great for remote areas.

Pretty much yes. It also does what an air conditioner does, but captures the water instead of letting it evaporate. If this is solar powered it would be great for remote areas.

Moisture captured from the air means that it isn't going elsewhere. Curious if a mass use of this thing would cause noticeable negative issues down the line.

The problem with using it for drought is that there's very little moisture IN the air in a drought. A cool machine though!

Moisture captured from the air means that it isn't going elsewhere. Curious if a mass use of this thing would cause noticeable negative issues down the line.

Potentially of course

It might cause reduced rain fall in areas. Only if the captured water is put into long term storage (like under ground reservoirs). If used for drinking water, the water would be recycled back into the environment fairly quickly, if being used in dry hot areas the water would go back into the environment fairly quickly. I doubt it would be practical for agricultural uses beyond a small garden.

Of course given how complex the environment is, it is hard to guess how all the different aspects will interact with one another and what the end result would be

The problem with using it for drought is that there's very little moisture IN the air in a drought. A cool machine though!

I believe their is a spider that in a very arid area captures moisture from the early morning dew (putting its legs up in the air letting it collect on the legs then collecting it for consumption.

Also, I believe water farming is what Luke Skywalker was doing in the beginning of Star Wars. It can be done in the desert but would require a massive amount of air to cycle through the collector

Something like this sounds like a good idea on paper.However imagine what it would do to the weather if there were millions of these or even industrial sized versions of these sucking the moister out of the air?

Very little, because math.

Earth's atmosphere has, like, a lot of water.

It does go somewhere. People drink it, then excrete it. It wont hurt anything.

There are vast pockets of salt water under the ground that could be tapped for more wise-spread use if desalinated. Fracking uses it in a lot of places in very dry climates like Texas because they can get it much cheaper than potable water for their injection operations.

That's what this does. It's not MAKING moisture where none exists...

You are correct. It simply is a wind turbine that collect dew or moisture -very simple mechanism. A very simple pump is attached and the water is simply pumped up from the storage tube It even collect moisture when there is no wind. I am puzzled why such a simple principal of physics has not come along sooner. One depressing thought I have is when this is applied to places here people are starving for food as well as potable water how then do they eat? Hopefully this water can be used to grow crops as well as quench thirst.

Like Arizona!?

Every Air conditioning unit in the world does this and they create far more than 11 gallons a day.

Large Commercial units can create hundreds of gallons a day.

Huh ? Every single air conditioning unit in the world removes moisture from the air and then drains it, typically with the rest of the waste water. Its then treated and then dumped. In my neck of the woods its dumped into bayous which feed into the bays.

Since the act of condensation doesn't cause molecular decomposition, its not removing that water from the water cycle.

At any given time, there is close to 38 Billion Bilion gallons of water vapor suspended in the Earths atmosphere. Enough water to cover the entire earth with 1 " of rain.

The only issue with this device is droughts are typical in arid climates, where the RH is already very low which means its going to struggle to pull enough moisture out of the air. Its impractical.

Ironically this device would work like a charm in humid sub tropical climates where the lack of rain isn't a issue.

Huh ? Every single air conditioning unit in the world removes moisture from the air and then drains it, typically with the rest of the waste water. Its then treated and then dumped. In my neck of the woods its dumped into bayous which feed into the bays.

Since the act of condensation doesn't cause molecular decomposition, its not removing that water from the water cycle.

At any given time, there is close to 38 Billion Bilion gallons of water vapor suspended in the Earths atmosphere. Enough water to cover the entire earth with 1 " of rain.

The only issue with this device is droughts are typical in arid climates, where the RH is already very low which means its going to struggle to pull enough moisture out of the air. Its impractical.

Ironically this device would work like a charm in humid sub tropical climates where the lack of rain isn't a issue.
but if the water is constantly removed from the air, wouldn't that affect the vegetation in the area over time?

that could and would over time affect the food chain dramatically

but if the water is constantly removed from the air, wouldn't that affect the vegetation in the area over time?

that could and would over time affect the food chain dramatically

Its still part of the natural water cycle.

Think about it. A Air conditioner or humidifier removes water via condensation by passing relatively warm humid air through a heat exchanger thats at or below dew point.

That condensate is then drained along with the rest of the waste water in a home or bussiness and sent to a waste water treatment facility where after treatment its then dumped into the Earths Oceans.

The Suns heat then evaporates that water from the surface of the ocean or lakes or rivers, etc where its suspended back into the atmosphere. Eventually it condenses into clouds and eventually rain clouds and the process starts all over again.

AC units and humidifiers dont interupt that process and since they dont cause electrolytic decomposition, that water isn't removed from the water cylce.

All we're doing is changing its state from a gas to a liquid, thats it.

That same water thats removed by AC units and humidifiers condenses every morning on blades of grass or metal objects as dew.

Ironically thiis device becomes less useful where its actually needed the most, in arid climates where RH is very low.

Its still part of the natural water cycle.

Think about it. A Air conditioner or humidifier removes water via condensation by passing relatively warm humid air through a heat exchanger thats at or below dew point.

That condensate is then drained along with the rest of the waste water in a home or bussiness and sent to a waste water treatment facility where after treatment its then dumped into the Earths Oceans.

The Suns heat then evaporates that water from the surface of the ocean or lakes or rivers, etc where its suspended back into the atmosphere. Eventually it condenses into clouds and eventually rain clouds and the process starts all over again.

AC units and humidifiers dont interupt that process and since they dont cause electrolytic decomposition, that water isn't removed from the water cylce.

All we're doing is changing its state from a gas to a liquid, thats it.

That same water thats removed by AC units and humidifiers condenses every morning on blades of grass or metal objects as dew.

Ironically thiis device becomes less useful where its actually needed the most, in arid climates where RH is very low.

thank you

Back
Top Bottom