• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Vietnam War veteran drew attention this week after pulling down a Confederate flag from a flagpole

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ulls-confederate-flag-down-off-flagpole-in-nj

A Vietnam War veteran drew attention this week after pulling down a Confederate flag from a flagpole in New Jersey, saying he could not stand to see it fly.

Stewart Resmer, who served in the Marine Corps from 1969 to 1970, reportedly replaced the Confederate symbol with the American flag in Wayne, N.J.

"The battle flag of the Confederacy is not going to fly around here, if I can do anything about it," Resmer told USA Today. "I won't stand for it."
======================================================
Just what this country does not need: more polarization over reminders of the Civil War (which was never fought in NJ).

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ulls-confederate-flag-down-off-flagpole-in-nj

A Vietnam War veteran drew attention this week after pulling down a Confederate flag from a flagpole in New Jersey, saying he could not stand to see it fly.

Stewart Resmer, who served in the Marine Corps from 1969 to 1970, reportedly replaced the Confederate symbol with the American flag in Wayne, N.J.

"The battle flag of the Confederacy is not going to fly around here, if I can do anything about it," Resmer told USA Today. "I won't stand for it."
Just what this country does not need: more polarization over reminders of the Civil War (which was never fought in NJ).

The story doesn't say if the Confederate flag was on public or private property. If on private property the owner has every right to fly a Confederate flag. That's one of the freedoms that Marine fought for.

And yet, much more slavery was practiced by those under another flag, flags really. For hundreds of years slavery was embraced by the states and country which flew what became Old Glory.
Does that fag trigger him too I wonder?

It appears to have been on private property. Whether, or not the property owner raised the flag isn't clear, yet. Either way, I would expect a veteran to have more regard for the 1st Amendment.

It appears to have been on private property. Whether, or not the property owner raised the flag isn't clear, yet. Either way, I would expect a veteran to have more regard for the 1st Amendment.

And I would expect someone in New Jersey to actually have half a brain and realize that flying the flag of a regime which murdered hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and sailors is a bad thing.

There is zero reason why anyone should be obliged to tolerate the flying of the Confederate flag. It was an incredibly evil regime which killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in the name of defending slavery.

And I would expect someone in New Jersey to actually have half a brain and realize that flying the flag of a regime which murdered hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and sailors is a bad thing.

Irrelevant. The flag was on private property. Remer should have respected the 1st Amendment.

The story doesn't say if the Confederate flag was on public or private property. If on private property the owner has every right to fly a Confederate flag. That's one of the freedoms that Marine fought for.

If it makes you feel any better, he'd probably pull down a North Vietnamese flag too...for the same reason...

There is zero reason why anyone should be obliged to tolerate the flying of the Confederate flag. It was an incredibly evil regime which killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in the name of defending slavery.

There's an absolutely great reason: The Constitution of The United States of America.

Anyone who doesn't support The Constitution pisses on the service of the United States soldiers who died during the Civil War to protect The Union.

If it makes you feel any better, he'd probably pull down a North Vietnamese flag too...for the same reason...

He would be just as wrong, if he did.

Irrelevant. The flag was on private property. Remer should have respected the 1st Amendment.

Irrelevant. The owner flew the flag of an enemy of the United States. There is reason why anyone should tolerate that.

There's an absolutely great reason: The Constitution of The United States of America.

Anyone who doesn't support The Constitution pisses on the service of the United States soldiers who died during the Civil War to protect The Union.

Oh, you mean the document that the Confederacy spat on and tried to destroy? That Constitution?

Anyone who flies the flag of the Confederacy really pisses on the troops, especially in New Jersey. Which, of course, is why the Marine was right to take it down.

Irrelevant. The owner flew the flag of an enemy of the United States. There is reason why anyone should tolerate that.

The 1st and 4th Amendments are damn good reasons.

Remer is a disgrace to The Marine Corps.

Oh, you mean the document that the Confederacy spat on and tried to destroy? That Constitution?

Anyone who flies the flag of the Confederacy really pisses on the troops, especially in New Jersey. Which, of course, is why the Marine was right to take it down.

So, you think it's ok for someone to do the exact same thing in response?

And yet, much more slavery was practiced by those under another flag, flags really. For hundreds of years slavery was embraced by the states and country which flew what became Old Glory.
Does that fag trigger him too I wonder?

Yes, for many years the South controlled the Federal government and thus was able to continually strengthen and expand slavery.

Even basic historical knowledge shoots a gaping hole through your particular argument.

Try again later.

So, you think it's ok for someone to do the exact same thing in response?

Gee, do I think it's okay for people to pull down flags of the US? Considering there is no equivalence between the United States and a pack of traitorous scum who fought for a cause which the vast majority of people realized was despicable even in 1860.....your argument needs work.

He would be just as wrong, if he did.

Ya, perhaps...definitely would not be honoring the 1A... But it's not like it's never happened before. I think back to New York construction workers beating the hell out of Vietnam war protesters for flying the North Vietnamese flag. People tend to get pissed when folks fly enemy flags, I guess...

Ya, perhaps...definitely would not be honoring the 1A... But it's not like it's never happened before. I think back to New York construction workers beating the hell out of Vietnam war protesters for flying the North Vietnamese flag. People tend to get pissed when folks fly enemy flags, I guess...

It's wrong, period. Remer's a disgrace.

The 1st and 4th Amendments are damn good reasons.

Remer is a disgrace to The Marine Corps.

The only "disgrace" is that people continue to fly the flag of an enemy of the United States.

Gee, do I think it's okay for people to pull down flags of the US? Considering there is no equivalence between the United States and a pack of traitorous scum who fought for a cause which the vast majority of people realized was despicable even in 1860.....your argument needs work.

The 1st Amendment supports my argument.

The only "disgrace" is that people continue to fly the flag of an enemy of the United States.

A right protected by The Constitution. Remer is a scumbag for forgetting his oath to support and defend it.

The 1st Amendment supports my argument.

Once again, irrelevant. Even if your delusion was correct, there would still be no reason to tolerate the flying of a flag of the enemy of the United States.

A right protected by The Constitution. Remer is a scumbag for forgetting his oath to support and defend it.

The Confederacy attempted to destroy the Constitution. Anyone who flies their flag has no room to hide behind it.

Last edited:
Once again, irrelevant. Even if your delusion was correct, there would still be no reason to tolerate the flying of a flag of the enemy of the United States.

The 1st Amendment is irrelevant? You're no different than what you oppose.

The Confederacy attempted to destroy the Constituion. Anyone who flies their flag has no room to hide behind it.

They're protected by The Bill of Rights.

Back
Top Bottom