• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A great video about using revolvers for defense.

....there are too many true experts out there that claim the SP101 is a more rugged and reliable weapon.

More reliable? No.

More rugged? Maybe, but the difference wouldn't be anything you'd notice in a lifetime.

The other side of this is that the Smiths are far smoother with a far better trigger system and that translates to better practical accuracy.

You need to broaden your search, or at least make a honest assessment.

I did before I chose the SP101 over the GP100, S&W 642, and the S&W 686.

I don't want a self protection revolver with a history of internal lock up's.

That's why I advised to get the older pre-lock models.

I must admit that the old Model 66 is my all-around, do-everything favorite, though.

More reliable? No.

More rugged? Maybe, but the difference wouldn't be anything you'd notice in a lifetime.

The other side of this is that the Smiths are far smoother with a far better trigger system and that translates to better practical accuracy.

Well, you need to take that up with the pissed off S&W 686 owners.

Personally, I wouldn't want one locking up with a bad guy 6 feet away.

The SP101 is actually better in a knee jerk situations when loud noises or sudden movements can cause reaction by the holder and their finger pressure. Hence......the OP's intention with this thread to begin with. The little bit more effort on the SP101 trigger hasn't affected my accuracy one iota. Most confrontations are in belly gun range to begin with.

I haven't seen any pissed off 686 owners.

There have been some anecdotal whines about the newer ones with locks, but I had one and never had a problem. Got rid of it anyway.......a "just in case" move.

Pre-lock 686s have a stellar reputation.

Your Ruger is a fine revolver. The older Smiths are just better.

Not enough so it will ever make a difference......it's mostly fit and finish and that superior trigger and general smoothness.

And maybe that unusual confrontation that requires a longer range shot?

These are all K-Frames like the Model 10 (which is .38 Special).

Now you CAN go to the Model 686 (an L Frame and slightly larger) but it's just a little too bulky for some.

Here's a Model 66 with Laser grips:

Here's a couple of 686s......one old, one new.

The 686s are a little larger........that said, the 3-inch 686 is my favorite trail gun.

is that an old Ruana made straight blade?

It's a Buck 105 with stag.

It's a Buck 105 with stag.

ah OK-lots of commercial knives were based on Ruana's designs. I have a Buck Model 110 that is about 45 years old.

You need to broaden your search, or at least make a honest assessment.

I did before I chose the SP101 over the GP100, S&W 642, and the S&W 686.

I don't want a self protection revolver with a history of internal lock up's.

Go ahead and carry it................ none of my business.

I have made in honest assessment. I know there are many that complain about the Lock just being there but have never heard of people's gun failing because of it.

I have made in honest assessment. I know there are many that complain about the Lock just being there but have never heard of people's gun failing because of it.

Well, Google it. You will hear of it.

If you're thorough enough you will find that Smith and Wesson is probably in the process of going out of business due to all the losses from that stupid lock.

Last edited:
Well, Google it. You will hear of it.

If you're thorough enough you will find that Smith and Wesson is probably in the process of going out of business due to all the losses from that stupid lock.

The M&P series saved SW. btw at least one of the better known training facilities in the country-TDI in Ohio-notes that in their experience, the S&W line of AR 15s have a really good reputation for handling the massive amount of shooting that people attending the "tactical rifle" course they offer. I went through the first one in 1986-it was only one day and most of the smaller PDs used it for qualifying their SWAT officers who were issued AR 15s or M16 rifles. I took an AR 15 and a VALMET 76 because it was durable and reliable. Lots of rifles gagged up from shooting 850 or so or rounds in one day. This was before S&W made ARs-back then it was basically Colts, and few others such as the original Bushmasters (Windham Maine, made). The former head instructor noted to a class I attended a couple years ago that they found S&W was the most durable of the basic brands of AR 15s (such as DPMS, armalite, colt, Rock River, etc)

reviews of the M&P 2.0 are really good. The shield sells well and I myself own two of the bodygards that according to a holster maker in my neck of the woods, must be popular since he sells lots of holsters for them

As someone that use nothing but Revolvers I really do appreciate that lucky gunner makes some good videos on using revolvers for carry. This latest video gives insight why you should shoot using double action only.

But I do question the placement of that Thumb ... :mrgreen:

F'ing Ouch

These are all K-Frames like the Model 10 (which is .38 Special).

Now you CAN go to the Model 686 (an L Frame and slightly larger) but it's just a little too bulky for some.

Here's a Model 66 with Laser grips:

Here's a couple of 686s......one old, one new.

The 686s are a little larger........that said, the 3-inch 686 is my favorite trail gun.

I'm going to get the 686 Plus 3", only because there's a greater possibility I will carry it someday.

But I think the 4" would be a much better Home Defense and Practice Shooter.

But I do question the placement of that Thumb ... :mrgreen:

F'ing Ouch

Maybe with a .357.......but that target shooter in the pic is no doubt shooting .38 Special target rounds.......very little recoil.

Years ago that grip was commonly taught.......and there were target stocks that had a ramp for that thumb in exactly that position......so some people thought that had to be the way.

Now we use two hands and some form of the Weaver Stance and we place that thumb lower.

Times change.

Last edited:
I'm going to get the 686 Plus 3", only because there's a greater possibility I will carry it someday.

But I think the 4" would be a much better Home Defense and Practice Shooter.

I'd stay away from the Smiths with the lock. Resale or trade value sucks on them while the pre-lock models are quickly increasing in value.

Whether or not the lock can malfunction and freeze your gun is another matter.......rare, but why tempt fate?

Also......people who get the 686 usually find it's too heavy for comfort in daily carry. If you're serious about daily carry get something smaller and lighter. The 686 is great, but it is heavy.

Fine for home defense.......four inch is fine......six inch is even better for that application--more power and less noise and muzzle flash due to more efficient burning of powder.

Maybe with a .357.......but that target shooter in the pic is no doubt shooting .38 Special target rounds.......very little recoil.

Years ago that grip was commonly taught.......and there were target stocks that had a ramp for that thumb in exactly that position......so some people thought that had to be the way.

Now we use two hands and some form of the Weaver Stance.

Times change.

Shooting a Revolver a lot can suck if you travel a lot ... I know I get pulled out of line for a swab. I just tell them I practice a lot ... but not so much I get Led Poisoning, just the dude I shoot. :lamo

I'd stay away from the Smiths with the lock. Resale or trade value sucks on them while the pre-lock models are quickly increasing in value.

Whether or not the lock can malfunction and freeze your gun is another matter.......rare, but why tempt fate?

Also......people who get the 686 usually find it's too heavy for comfort in daily carry. If you're serious about daily carry get something smaller and lighter. The 686 is great, but it is heavy.

Fine for home defense.......four inch is fine......six inch is even better for that application--more power and less noise and muzzle flash due to more efficient burning of powder.

Can you get a 686 w/o a lock now?

Can you get a 686 w/o a lock now?

Not new.......but used is definitely the way to go.

They're available in great condition. Mine is from about 1989 and far better than a new one sold today.

Not new.......but used is definitely the way to go.

They're available in great condition. Mine is from about 1989 and far better than a new one sold today.

Thanks

If you have a Cabela's near you.........you can spend some fun time on the Cabela's "Gun Library" part of their website and watch for good ones.

Any Cabela's will ship to any other Cabela's for $25 and mine refunds it if I buy the gun.

They absolutely stand behind anything they sell and if there's anything wrong they will get it fixed even if they have to send it to a Smith and Wesson gunsmith.

It's low risk buying.

I spend a lot of time just surfing all the guns in all the stores. I have found bargains.

I carry the 686 3in everyday, the weight is not really a issue.

I carry the 686 3in everyday, the weight is not really a issue.

That's why I said, "Usually."

There's always exceptions like yourself.

When you carry all day, every day.......bulk and weight matter (to most people).

Back
Top Bottom