• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A 4.6-magnitude earthquake shakes greater Los Angeles. No reports of significant damage

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 4.6-magnitude earthquake struck the Southern California coast near Malibu on Friday and was widely felt in the Los Angeles region, rattling windows and shaking shelves but bringing no reports of major damage or injuries.

The area of the epicenter was in the rugged Santa Monica Mountains, roughly 35 miles (56 kilometers) west of downtown Los Angeles. The range rises steeply from the coastline, and the nearest homes to the epicenter are on a narrow strip of development along the shore or scattered in the ridges and canyons. The quake struck at 1:47 p.m. at a depth of about 8 miles (13 kilometers), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

It was felt from the Malibu coast north to Bakersfield, south to San Diego and east to downtown Los Angeles. Some people said they felt the quake as a jolt, while others described more of a swaying motion.
==================================================
Another reminder of why I don't want to live west of the Mississippi

Either the Northridge or San Andreas are going to have a temper tantrum soon.

Geologists suggest it's within the next 30 years, but definitely not 100 years away.

Geologists suggest it's within the next 30 years, but definitely not 100 years away.
My wife was on a tour of Iceland. Ten days after she left the volcanoes erupted 3 times. In the past their ash clouds have halted air travel in the N Atlantic.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 4.6-magnitude earthquake struck the Southern California coast near Malibu on Friday and was widely felt in the Los Angeles region, rattling windows and shaking shelves but bringing no reports of major damage or injuries.

The area of the epicenter was in the rugged Santa Monica Mountains, roughly 35 miles (56 kilometers) west of downtown Los Angeles. The range rises steeply from the coastline, and the nearest homes to the epicenter are on a narrow strip of development along the shore or scattered in the ridges and canyons. The quake struck at 1:47 p.m. at a depth of about 8 miles (13 kilometers), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

It was felt from the Malibu coast north to Bakersfield, south to San Diego and east to downtown Los Angeles. Some people said they felt the quake as a jolt, while others described more of a swaying motion.
Maybe it will shake some sense to the nitwits running that place.

The Northridge quake freaked us out pretty good. Afterword we wound up hanging a wind chime in the bedroom. It would wake us before the shaking did.

The Northridge quake freaked us out pretty good. Afterword we wound up hanging a wind chime in the bedroom. It would wake us before the shaking did.
Future headline: "minor earthquake results in fatality as sleeping man impaled by Hello Kitty windchime".

They have been predicting the "Big One" for more than 50 years. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Maybe it will shake some sense to the nitwits running that place.
A magnitude 4.6 quake is pretty small. Earthquakes don't really become a concern until they reach a magnitude greater than 5.0. The only place that is likely to suffer any damage with such a small quake are places that never experience earthquakes, like the mid-west or east coast. On the west coast quakes under magnitude 5.0 are fun. They don't cause damage and they do not cause injuries.

This scares me. I’ve heard it’s about 100 years or so overdue.

Tornados are a reminder of why I left the Midwest.

The 1994 Northridge quake was also a magnitude 6.7. Substantially larger than the magnitude 4.6 that they just had. A magnitude 6.7 quake is a serious, moderately large earthquake able to do significant damage.

Now imagine a Northridge-size earthquake every year for the next 20 years. Then you would have Alaska. Since 2000 Alaska has experienced at least a magnitude 6.4 or larger earthquake every year. The list below only shows the biggest earthquakes in that given year, but there have been other quakes that also occurred in those years that were almost as large. For example, in November 2018 there was a magnitude 7.1 quake with an epicenter just 3 miles from my home. That quake is not included in the list because we also experienced a magnitude 7.9 quake during the same year.

Alaska Earthquakes.png

Me too. After experiencing a couple of tornadoes while living in Nebraska I decided that I would much rather experience earthquakes than tornadoes. Earthquakes are fun, until they get above magnitude 5.0.

4-pointers are "meh" for Californians. Strict building codes keep things from getting ripped apart at that level.

That's the only "Big Gov" kind of thing i have no problem with...especially in shake-rattle-roll areas like California and frequent hurricane targets like the gulf states.

Thing about tornadoes...all 50 states have 'em. Not at the same frequency as the Midwest and south of the Mason-Dixon ("Dixie Alley"), but still..

I just recently read about Reelfoot lake being created by the MS river backflow during a quake back in 1812. The article was about all the eagles who can be seen there. You are probably familiar with it.

I just recently read about Reelfoot lake being created by the MS river backflow during a quake back in 1812. The article was about all the eagles who can be seen there. You are probably familiar with it.
Yes I am. Never visited but plan to fly in there one day and check it out.

Im not far from Cross Creeks National Wildlife Preserve. We have seen Eagles on occasion sitting in trees by the pond.

I've seen some big ones between Dover and the TN river.

Yes I am. Never visited but plan to fly in there one day and check it out.

Im not far from Cross Creeks National Wildlife Preserve. We have seen Eagles on occasion sitting in trees by the pond.

I've seen some big ones between Dover and the TN river.
We see the occasional fly over.
IMS, the article was mid to late January as the best time to visit. Take pics.

Back to topic, earthquakes.

Back
Top Bottom