• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

4 Points for No Assault Weapon Ban

Everything I have seen suggests that statement is false. There are very few studies on defensive use of guns, but the ones I have seen suggest anywhere from 100k to 2million uses per year.

On top of that taking the gun away from suicidal people doesn't stop the suicide. Guns are easy but that doesn't mean there isn't another way.

If anything, having a gun available to a potential suicide victim may well prevent the suicide from becoming a mass murder.

If anything, having a gun available to a potential suicide victim may well prevent the suicide from becoming a mass murder.

What??????

(1) No.

(2) Why would a gun license, which in and of itself is a registration, make gun registration unnecessary?

Committing a firearms related crime is an indication of a willingness to murder. The ultimate penalty is death or life imprisonment. Do you believe that changing the effective penalty from 1 year to two will have any effect on crime? I don't.

The main reason for the gun registration is for federally backed BGCs to prevent private sales and straw purchases. You just make it a law saying if a person has a license they can purchase a gun if not they can't, private, business doesn't matter. If you sell to someone without a license you go to jail.

Most criminals that commit a crime with a firearm don't get death or life, they get plead down to lesser crimes or they get out early for one reason or another. If they tack on a minimum like 5 or 10 years to any crime committed with a gun that might make people hesitate.

Not sure I would go that far but I get what you mean, They could stand in front of a car and cause deaths by the accident, or get drunk, or jump off a building.

I'm probably going to hasten my death by VSED which is legal. I'd love to just put a bullet in my head to stop suffering, but then it would hurt my fellow gun owners. A sheriff near a military base whose cleaned up more than his fair share of suicides said if you want to prevent thousands of lives being lost every year to gun violence just give people access to lethal Nembutal doses and gun suicide would become rare. But, you are right, and I believe most of that culture is driven by Hollywood.

Violent fairytales for children go back, at least in the plethora, a hundred years before Hollywood. Violent video games are more popular in Japan than in the US, but the US has the highest murder rate of developed nations and Japan the lowest. Japan has the most strict gun laws and the US the most liberal. Boys tend to be more aggressive than girls so they watch and play football, and the watch and engage in violence more than girls. In other words, there is pre-existing aggression. In other words, it’s America’s violent culture that begets Hollywood, not the other way around.

(2) Why would a gun license, which in and of itself is a registration, make gun registration unnecessary?

We wouldn't actually need gun licenses.

All we would need to do is require purchasers to show valid identification, and start putting a big "P" on the valid identification of anyone who is prohibited from owning a gun.

Why put the onus on law-abiding citizens?

Not sure I would go that far but I get what you mean, They could stand in front of a car and cause deaths by the accident, or get drunk, or jump off a building.

I keep thinking about killers like the Las Vegas killer who fired into a crowd of tens of thousands in a confined space and killed less than a hundred, That same killer had access to a couple aircraft and 5 gallon cans of gasoline. Had he crashed the aircraft into the crowd, the toll would have been much higher. The 9/11 bombers did just that. All these people expected to die.

While there were other motives in most of the above, they were all suicides.

What??????

If you are pissed off at your family or your employer or society in general and decide to off yourself, please use a gun instead of a can of gasoline and a match. Or an aircraft

If you are pissed off at your family or your employer or society in general and decide to off yourself, please use a gun instead of a can of gasoline and a match. Or an aircraft

I guess those are the only options. I guess this is how the world deals with suicide.

You cant be serious

We wouldn't actually need gun licenses.

All we would need to do is require purchasers to show valid identification, and start putting a big "P" on the valid identification of anyone who is prohibited from owning a gun.

Why put the onus on law-abiding citizens?

How are you going to that without a database to know who gets the P?

Any form of a database puts the onus on the law abiding citizen. The criminals don't care and for the most part get their guns from the corner pimp, drug, gun seller.

Any form of a database puts the onus on the law abiding citizen. The criminals don't care and for the most part get their guns from the corner pimp, drug, gun seller.

Should we eliminate every mandatory database of legal citizens?

Should we eliminate every mandatory database of legal citizens?

We were speaking specifically about gun registration. I didn't think it necessary to repeat the obvious.

The diversion. The sure sign of a lost argument.

We were speaking specifically about gun registration. I didn't think it necessary to repeat the obvious.

The diversion. The sure sign of a lost argument.

Yes. Databases can be a good thing....for guns too

How would a database of convicted felons put the onus on the law-abiding citizen?

What always gets me about the Assault Rifle ban debate is that it is so much about nothing. Listen, obviously for those who are victims of madmen with an AR or AK, it is something. But in the aggregate, it is barely a statistical blip.

According to the FBI's latest survey on crime in the US, in 2018 there were 14,123 victims of homicide. Of that number, 10,265 were by firearms. Rifles (not assault rifles, but all rifles) were responsible for a whopping 297 murder deaths. That is 2.9% of all firearm deaths.

Let's look at the non-firearm instruments that killed more people:

Knives: 1,515
Hands/Feet: 672
Clubs/Hammers: 443

But then there are other causes of death(2017 data):

Falling from ladders: 569
Swimming Pools: 723

Yet, the Left is absolutely obsessed with assault weapons? Is it possible that we have lost our way in what might be really important?

How would a database of convicted felons put the onus on the law-abiding citizen?

Don't we already have a data base of convicted felons?

I'm not that opposed to an all inclusive single card. I carry at least a half dozen government cards. + that many private cards. Having all that data on a single card would certainly lighten my wallet.

What always gets me about the Assault Rifle ban debate is that it is so much about nothing. Listen, obviously for those who are victims of madmen with an AR or AK, it is something. But in the aggregate, it is barely a statistical blip.

According to the FBI's latest survey on crime in the US, in 2018 there were 14,123 victims of homicide. Of that number, 10,265 were by firearms. Rifles (not assault rifles, but all rifles) were responsible for a whopping 297 murder deaths. That is 2.9% of all firearm deaths.

Let's look at the non-firearm instruments that killed more people:

Knives: 1,515
Hands/Feet: 672
Clubs/Hammers: 443

But then there are other causes of death(2017 data):

Falling from ladders: 569
Swimming Pools: 723

Yet, the Left is absolutely obsessed with assault weapons? Is it possible that we have lost our way in what might be really important?

If you have ideas for reasonable laws in those areas bring them up.

I support reasonable gun control

If you have ideas for reasonable laws in those areas bring them up.

I support reasonable gun control

Well, we could ban swimming pools. Put the swimming pool manufacturers out of business by preventing them from continuing to build and sell the death traps. For those who already have swimming pools, we could have a national buy-back program. Pay owners to bulldoze their swimming pools and return their backyards to grass (or in my case, weeds).

Well, we could ban swimming pools. Put the swimming pool manufacturers out of business by preventing them from continuing to build and sell the death traps. For those who already have swimming pools, we could have a national buy-back program. Pay owners to bulldoze their swimming pools and return their backyards to grass (or in my case, weeds).

Ok. Then say that.

Di you personally support a ban on swimming pools?

I want the answer for my signature

Don't we already have a data base of convicted felons?

I'm not that opposed to an all inclusive single card. I carry at least a half dozen government cards. + that many private cards. Having all that data on a single card would certainly lighten my wallet.

I think it would be a great thing. We could get rid of gun background checks altogether, including at licensed dealers, and employers could save a lot of money conducting background checks on their employees. Heck, I'd like to use it to weed out certain contractors that I allow in my house. If someone is too dangerous to legally own a gun, I don't want them anywhere near my kitchen knives, or my kid.

Ok. Then say that.

Di you personally support a ban on swimming pools?

I want the answer for my signature

Isn't that the equivalent of what many on the Left are calling for? Ban the manufacture of assault weapons and institute a buy-back program for those already in the public domain? Swimming pools were responsible for more than twice as many American deaths, why is it somehow a radical, far-fetched idea to ban swimming pools. Afterall, although millions of Americans enjoy their pools, the tragedy of the over 700 Americans lost each year in them must be too much of a cost. Additionally, does anyone really NEED a swimming pool?

Isn't that the equivalent of what many on the Left are calling for? Ban the manufacture of assault weapons and institute a buy-back program for those already in the public domain? Swimming pools were responsible for more than twice as many American deaths, why is it somehow a radical, far-fetched idea to ban swimming pools. Afterall, although millions of Americans enjoy their pools, the tragedy of the over 700 Americans lost each year in them must be too much of a cost. Additionally, does anyone really NEED a swimming pool?

Then just say that is what you want. Say it clearly.

I want it for my signature

In fact, now that I think about it. It would be easier to ban swimming pools and make sure they are bought back than it would be for assault weapons. Many municipalities already require building permits before a pool is built, so we know who has them. Simple tools such as Google Earth can help law enforcement find pools in those areas that didn't have building permits.

So again, I'll ask, why does banning swimming pools somehow seem more outrageous that banning assault weapons?

In fact, now that I think about it. It would be easier to ban swimming pools and make sure they are bought back than it would be for assault weapons. Many municipalities already require building permits before a pool is built, so we know who has them. Simple tools such as Google Earth can help law enforcement find pools in those areas that didn't have building permits.

So again, I'll ask, why does banning swimming pools somehow seem more outrageous that banning assault weapons?

My question must be invisible.

Can anyone else answer it?

Do you support banning swimming pools?

Back
Top Bottom