• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3-D printed guns

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I think printed guns is a bad idea, and it's not about the second amendment, but basic economics. A good 3-D printer is going to cost you more than a thousand bucks, and add a couple hundred dollars for the material to print the gun. The gun itself will fire a few rounds before the barrel cracks. And the accuracy is horrible. Verdict? 1,200 bucks for a piece of crap.

On the other hand, I bought a Mossberg AR-15, with a tempered steel barrel, and parts that will last pretty much forever, as long as I take care of it. Verdict? 600 bucks for the rifle, and a couple hundred more for accessories. Add to that I can hit a bullseye from 100 yards with it. Try that with the crappy piece of plastic. LOL.

What would you choose? Paying under a thousand bucks for a great rifle from a respected manufacturer, or pay through the nose for a piece of crap that has a short life, has no accuracy whatsoever, and has been known to occasionally blow up in your hand?

I love the second amendment. I don't love crappy weapons. Of course, the choice is yours. If you want to be an idiot, go ahead. It's no skin off my nose. Maybe yours. LOL.

https://3dprint.com/139537/3d-printed-guns/

100 yards? Better get them eyes looked at!

:mrgreen:

I think the 3D printed guns Wil be something hobbyists will want to fiddle with. I don't think this will be the major crisis some people are hyperventilating about.

I think printed guns is a bad idea, and it's not about the second amendment, but basic economics. A good 3-D printer is going to cost you more than a thousand bucks, and add a couple hundred dollars for the material to print the gun. The gun itself will fire a few rounds before the barrel cracks. And the accuracy is horrible. Verdict? 1,200 bucks for a piece of crap.

On the other hand, I bought a Mossberg AR-15, with a tempered steel barrel, and parts that will last pretty much forever, as long as I take care of it. Verdict? 600 bucks for the rifle, and a couple hundred more for accessories. Add to that I can hit a bullseye from 100 yards with it. Try that with the crappy piece of plastic. LOL.

What would you choose? Paying under a thousand bucks for a great rifle from a respected manufacturer, or pay through the nose for a piece of crap that has a short life, has no accuracy whatsoever, and has been known to occasionally blow up in your hand?

I love the second amendment. I don't love crappy weapons. Of course, the choice is yours. If you want to be an idiot, go ahead. It's no skin off my nose. Maybe yours. LOL.

And as technology progresses, things will become cheaper and cheaper. Remember, the first computer cost thousands of dollars also. Now, its available in every home.

And as technology progresses, things will become cheaper and cheaper. Remember, the first computer cost thousands of dollars also. Now, its available in every home.

How much did these cost to print? Also, how is the accuracy? Thirdly, 500 rounds without breaking? After firing a couple hundred rounds, mine is ready to go again after a good cleaning. And, finally, how safe are these to use?

How much did these cost to print? Also, how is the accuracy? Thirdly, 500 rounds without breaking? After firing a couple hundred rounds, mine is ready to go again after a good cleaning. And, finally, how safe are these to use?

I think you might be missing the main points

the 3D printing movement is a rational backlash against the gun banning movement.
the sophistication of this process is rapidly advancing. GILLO-a top of the line Italian designer/maker of target bows (Olympic and international bare bow) are using 3D printed grips now. They are pretty good. Soon AR 15 lowers will be 3D printed that are strong enough to sustain thousands of rounds. Its the lower receiver that requires a Form 4473 to buy from a dealer.

There seems to be some confusion when it comes to 3D printer firearms, especially AR's. From my experience most are only printing the lower receiver, not uppers, barrels, or other parts that can simply be ordered on-line. So, the idea of that printed firearms are somehow inferior is pure BS.

Meh. Any halfway decent home machine shop can make a perfectly serviceable gun.

I think you're missing the point. Yeah, right now things like this are expensive. But they won't be expensive forever. In the long term 3D printing, anything, is going to get cheaper and cheaper. 3D Printing history shows that its becoming more and more advanced and wanted.

When people started messing with 3D printing it was mostly basement dwellers that would build their own machines. They were quite complicated and bulky. Now businesses are starting to use them more and more. As a result of that 3D Printers have become more compact, faster, and easier to use. They have also started showing up in schools and even our local library has one. And more importantly they have become available for purchase for in-home use. ATM that in-home use is limited to mainly hard plastic. But more and more research into the capabilities of 3D Printing is advancing. People are making 3D Printers that can make food. Some companies are researching its use in printing a fully workable organ for transplant into humans.

In the long term, 3D Printing is going to be far more than just a "fad" or "nothin burger" like some people think. It's going to be an everyday occurrence and use. And as a result the prices for 3D Printing, and the materials used to 3D Print will become cheaper. It is inevitable.

I think you might be missing the main points

the 3D printing movement is a rational backlash against the gun banning movement.
Not really. It's easier to make a gun the 'old fashioned' way. It's easier to buy a gun too. The thing about banning anything is that you can't kill the free market, even if you drive it underground. That market always functions. It's immortal. See your local drug dealer for details, or perhaps you may remember the failure of Prohibition.
the sophistication of this process is rapidly advancing.
True.
GILLO-a top of the line Italian designer/maker of target bows (Olympic and international bare bow) are using 3D printed grips now.
Heh. But not the bow itself.
They are pretty good. Soon AR 15 lowers will be 3D printed that are strong enough to sustain thousands of rounds. Its the lower receiver that requires a Form 4473 to buy from a dealer.
The receiver is not a complicated mechanism. A fully automatic firing system is often simpler to build then a semi-automatic system. Semi-automatics require a latching mechanism for the sear during the reload cycle. A fully automatic weapon doesn't need such a latch.

I think you're missing the point. Yeah, right now things like this are expensive. But they won't be expensive forever. In the long term 3D printing, anything, is going to get cheaper and cheaper. 3D Printing history shows that its becoming more and more advanced and wanted.

When people started messing with 3D printing it was mostly basement dwellers that would build their own machines. They were quite complicated and bulky. Now businesses are starting to use them more and more. As a result of that 3D Printers have become more compact, faster, and easier to use. They have also started showing up in schools and even our local library has one. And more importantly they have become available for purchase for in-home use. ATM that in-home use is limited to mainly hard plastic. But more and more research into the capabilities of 3D Printing is advancing. People are making 3D Printers that can make food. Some companies are researching its use in printing a fully workable organ for transplant into humans.

In the long term, 3D Printing is going to be far more than just a "fad" or "nothin burger" like some people think. It's going to be an everyday occurrence and use. And as a result the prices for 3D Printing, and the materials used to 3D Print will become cheaper. It is inevitable.

That's not news. McDonald's has been making artificial food for years. :mrgreen:

Not really. It's easier to make a gun the 'old fashioned' way. It's easier to buy a gun too. The thing about banning anything is that you can't kill the free market, even if you drive it underground. That market always functions. It's immortal. See your local drug dealer for details, or perhaps you may remember the failure of Prohibition.

True.

The receiver is not a complicated mechanism. A fully automatic firing system is often simpler to build then a semi-automatic system. Semi-automatics require a latching mechanism for the sear during the reload cycle. A fully automatic weapon doesn't need such a latch.

Autos have them too.

All self loaders have a sear and/or a disconnecter

Autos have them too.

All self loaders have a sear and/or a disconnecter

The disconnector is the just a selectable second sear (or latching mechanism). AUTO mode disables this latch.

Polymer resin molds will make the 3D printed lowers obsolete before they ever gain traction.

The disconnector is the just a selectable second sear (or latching mechanism). AUTO mode disables this latch.

The disconnector stops the hammer from falling when the trigger is released. The sear holds the hammer after the disconnector catches the hammer. Technically and M-16 has two sears, although the "auto sear" really isn't a sear. I don't know why it's called a sear, but that's the accepted nomenclature. I think it should be called the "disconnector nullification cam".

Well, a judge in Texas has put a stop to it, so that settles that for the moment. The guy that's selling all this nonsense like it's part of the second amendment is just a professional troll.

Polymer resin molds will make the 3D printed lowers obsolete before they ever gain traction.

I disagree. I happen to own a 3d printer at home and I have 5 at my company.

For making one-off stuff they are quite useful. I can print in PMA, ABS, Nylon, Delrin, or UHMW. We can even print the molds if we want to go that way.

The disconnector stops the hammer from falling when the trigger is released. The sear holds the hammer after the disconnector catches the hammer. Technically and M-16 has two sears, although the "auto sear" really isn't a sear. I don't know why it's called a sear, but that's the accepted nomenclature. I think it should be called the "disconnector nullification cam".

No, the primary sear stops the hammer from falling when the trigger is released. The disconnector stops the hammer from falling when the trigger is PRESSED. It 'disconnects' the usual automatic cycle of the mechanism. It's essentially a 2nd sear or latching mechanism (depending on the gun). Full AUTO mode disables the disconnector.

For the M16, a popular gun in the United States, the disconnector acts as a 2nd sear.

A three shot burst mode can also be enabled on this gun. It operates by using a verge to disable engagement of the primary sear for three cycles as the verge rotates with each cycle. At the end of three cycles, the verge has a deeper cut in it allowing engagement of the primary sear, stopping the mechanism.

Well, a judge in Texas has put a stop to it, so that settles that for the moment. The guy that's selling all this nonsense like it's part of the second amendment is just a professional troll.

This judge has exceeded his authority. He does not have authority to overrule the Section 5 and Section 24 of the Washington State constitution, nor the 1st and 2nd amendments of the U.S. Constitution. The judge was in Seattle, not Texas.

No, the primary sear stops the hammer from falling when the trigger is released. The disconnector stops the hammer from falling when the trigger is PRESSED. It 'disconnects' the usual automatic cycle of the mechanism. It's essentially a 2nd sear or latching mechanism (depending on the gun). Full AUTO mode disables the disconnector.

For the M16, a popular gun in the United States, the disconnector acts as a 2nd sear.

A three shot burst mode can also be enabled on this gun. It operates by using a verge to disable engagement of the primary sear for three cycles as the verge rotates with each cycle. At the end of three cycles, the verge has a deeper cut in it allowing engagement of the primary sear, stopping the mechanism.

You're mistaken:

The disconnector catches the hammer, then releases it to the sear.

Checking that the disconnector is catching the hammer is part of the function check. It's the metallic click you hear in the 2nd step, when you release the trigger and the hammer doesn't fall.

The three round burst is controlled by what's known as a "burst cam" that's installed on the side of the hammer and the addition of a "burst-disconnector".

Attachments

• M16DisconnectorTails.jpg
    M16DisconnectorTails.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

That's an illegal ruling. It should be ignored.

True.

you haven't been here very long have you. and if its an open bolt its even easier since it doesn't need a hammer

I disagree. I happen to own a 3d printer at home and I have 5 at my company.

For making one-off stuff they are quite useful. I can print in PMA, ABS, Nylon, Delrin, or UHMW. We can even print the molds if we want to go that way.
For under $500 you can buy a mold enough resin to pour 15 metal reinforced polymer lowers. Thats a total cost of $34.00 for a lower rcvr that you would pay $80-100 for and that would be serially controlled.

Maybe your 3D printer can top that...with the cost of supplies..AFTER you have gone through the expense of purchasing a 3D printer...right?

Back
Top Bottom