• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

1950's, a great time to grow up?

Hee Haw and Dukes of Hazard weren't '50s. Howdy Doody and Crusader Rabbit were 1950s. So was the coyote and the roadrunner, even though they lasted well beyond that decade. Groucho Marx, "Say the secret word, and you win $100!" that was 1950s.

It seems to me it was around that time, maybe sooner since it came via radio, that I heard the astonishing figure of one hundred billion dollars as the total federal government budget.

We had one channel, obtained by putting a large antenna way up in the top of a pine tree. Ours was the first TV in town.

Nope. I meant the segregation itself was not hateful or angry. The black and white folks in town got along great before and after desegregation. I think you're missing the point being made. I am NOT advocating segregation, cannot find anything about it that it is in any way defensible, and made it perfectly clear that the desegregation was a good, positive thing. What you are missing is that it was accomplished without the angry protests and demands and threats and residual resentment. Because it was done the way it was done in the spirit of the way the 50's were for most of us, it allowed for true community and a loving supportive situation for all. For those who know how to deal with racism in any other way that hatefully or via race baiting or seeing it all as something vicious, I know that is difficult to understand. But then for those who didn't experience the 50's, the 50's themselves seem to be beyond the comprehension of many.

Did the blacks then break out and sing a song about how happy they were to be treated so well? It as believable as the **** you are spewing in this thread.

I'd love to you what excuse you can invent for what possible motivation your town had for being segregated other than hate.

Did the blacks then break out and sing a song about how happy they were to be treated so well? It as believable as the **** you are spewing in this thread.

I'd love to you what excuse you can invent for what possible motivation your town had for being segregated other than hate.

There was no hate involved from either side. As I said, those who didn't live it and who have been brainwashed with modern political correctness mentality cannot possibly understand how it was. The motivation was cultural conditioning that existed all over the country--the concept that the races should not mix--a concept believed and promoted even by Abraham Lincoln who abolished slavery. Our town was way ahead of the game when we chose to desegregate long before that became a national issue and it was a happy time without any ugliness involved in any way. It has been fun over the years reminiscing with black friends from back then. They laugh when they relate how their parents were genuinely worried that their kids would get mixed up with those white folks and that couldn't lead to any good. That kind of benign racism existed in both camps. And it faded away when we became culturally conditioned to see things differently. And it happened without either camp being angry or staging protests or demonstrations and there was no residual resentment or animosity.

As I said, there is a lot to be learned from that.

There was no hate involved from either side. As I said, those who didn't live it and who have been brainwashed with modern political correctness mentality cannot possibly understand how it was. The motivation was cultural conditioning that existed all over the country--the concept that the races should not mix--a concept believed and promoted even by Abraham Lincoln who abolished slavery. Our town was way ahead of the game when we chose to desegregate long before that became a national issue and it was a happy time without any ugliness involved in any way. It has been fun over the years reminiscing with black friends from back then. They laugh when they relate how their parents were genuinely worried that their kids would get mixed up with those white folks and that couldn't lead to any good. That kind of benign racism existed in both camps. And it faded away when we became culturally conditioned to see things differently. And it happened without either camp being angry or staging protests or demonstrations and there was no residual resentment or animosity.

As I said, there is a lot to be learned from that.

Do you honestly expect anyone to believe that crap? "No segregation wasn't hateful and I have this anonymous black friend who totally agrees with me".

Do you honestly expect anyone to believe that crap? "No segregation wasn't hateful and I have this anonymous black friend who totally agrees with me".

Choosing not to believe something is anyone's choice, do whatever. Calling someone a liar because something is personally unknown is not very becoming and reflects poorly .... youngster.

One should ask about the unknown not attack it.

Thom Paine

I think the point is that not all of the blacks were so agreeable with ending segregation and rubbing shoulders with white folks either.

But, I really have no personal experience with segregation. California never was segregated. Blacks and whites shared the same turf and the same schools even back in the 1950s.

I don't expect those who are race baiters and so diligently work to keep racism alive and well to believe me. I do expect those who are reasonable and not brain washed to believe me and our numbers are legion. Most especially those who were there.

Choosing not to believe something is anyone's choice, do whatever. Calling someone a liar because something is personally unknown is not very becoming and reflects poorly .... youngster.

One should ask about the unknown not attack it.

Thom Paine

The hateful motivations of segregation isn't an unknown, its a verifiable historical fact. There is no excuse for attempting to conceal history just because reality makes you uncomfortable. You can't learn from the mistakes of the past if you pretend they didn't exist.

I grew up in the 1950's and I am curious on how you take this video:

Lost in the Fifties- Another Time, Another Place - Safeshare.TV

For me it was the perfect time and place to grow up, I was an farm boy who rarely got to the city. The nearest town probably had a population of 500 or so and that was were we did our shopping. The city of Atlanta only 30 miles away I never made it to until I was drafted into the army, I really had no desire to go there and to this day, I still don't.

But I am more interested in hearing what you all think.

Whether it was a great time to grow up would be dependent upon the color of your skin, your family's religion, the size of your family's pocketbook, and the location where you grew up.

The ideal that the '50s were somehow a greater or better era is only true for white, judeo/christian less muslim, middle-class or better folks if they lived in the city, and same only the economics would also allow for upper-end-low class folks.

They left out wading in the mud puddles left by the rain in dirt streets so you squished the mud between your toes.

You had a lot more channels than we did--I think we had four--and they always signed off soon after the evening news with patriotic music and planes flying followed by a test pattern for awhile and then nothing until the test pattern came back on a bit before the first broadcast of the day. One of my favorite stories was during a political campaign. One candidate had some TV time and was to be immediately followed by his opponent who was allotted the same amount of time. The first candidate, however, filled the last 5 minutes or so of his allotted time with patriotic music and planes flying. The TV audience thought the station was going off the air so a whole bunch turned off their sets and went to bed and never heard the second candidate. :)

If you can believe this--prepare to be shocked--the CBS affiliate in the city where I grew up played both "The Star-Spangled Banner" and Perry Como's recording of "The Lord's Prayer" until the '80's.

I don't expect those who are race baiters and so diligently work to keep racism alive and well to believe me. I do expect those who are reasonable and not brain washed to believe me and our numbers are legion. Most especially those who were there.

Yes I am keeping racism alive by refusing to believe a made up fantasy where segregation wasn't hateful. Your viewpoint isn't legion, its quite literally dying off of old age.

Whether it was a great time to grow up would be dependent upon the color of your skin, your family's religion, the size of your family's pocketbook, and the location where you grew up.

The ideal that the '50s were somehow a greater or better era is only true for white, judeo/christian less muslim, middle-class or better folks if they lived in the city, and same only the economics would also allow for upper-end-low class folks.

I will repeat myself, it was a great time for me to grow up in.

I didn't live in the city.
If I had, I wouldn't have been allowed to go hunting birds and squirrels with a .22, ducks with a shotgun, go fishing in nearby streams, swim in the canals and creeks, or in general roam the hills.

I loved roaming the hills. Still do, as a matter of fact.

If you can believe this--prepare to be shocked--the CBS affiliate in the city where I grew up played both "The Star-Spangled Banner" and Perry Como's recording of "The Lord's Prayer" until the '80's.

Yes, that was fairly common in a lot of places until the leftists and government made it profitable to apply political correctness to religion and traditional values.

Yes I am keeping racism alive by refusing to believe a made up fantasy where segregation wasn't hateful. Your viewpoint isn't legion, its quite literally dying off of old age.

It is exactly that kind of attitude that I believe keeps racism alive and well. But oh well. Each to their own.

I didn't live in the city.
If I had, I wouldn't have been allowed to go hunting birds and squirrels with a .22, ducks with a shotgun, go fishing in nearby streams, swim in the canals and creeks, or in general roam the hills.

I loved roaming the hills. Still do, as a matter of fact.

The end of my quote is supposed to say, if in the country. Apparently I didn't finish typing my thought out. Sorry. The point being that because of such as you mention, the economics of rural living allowed for a great life if one was less than middle class, but still had to be white and christian.

For me it was the perfect time and place to grow up, I was an farm boy who rarely got to the city. The nearest town probably had a population of 500 or so and that was were we did our shopping. The city of Atlanta only 30 miles away I never made it to until I was drafted into the army, I really had no desire to go there and to this day, I still don't.

When it boils down to it, we're all susceptible to nostalgia. Personally, I'm trapped in the 90s, but kids today probably think they were ****.

When it boils down to it, we're all susceptible to nostalgia. Personally, I'm trapped in the 90s, but kids today probably think they were ****.

Possible, I missed the depression of the 30's and WWII of the 40's being born right after. The 50's were fairly calm and the advent of rock and roll and TV came on the scene. The 60's were very turbulent.

Yeah, I am really glad I was born when I was, in 1990. I have many more options today than I would have had back then. There is less sexism, less racism, less homophobia, less violence, less war, the internet provides us with more information than anyone else in human history could possibly imagine, I mean the list goes on and on. Right now, I believe, is the best time to be alive.

Yeah, I am really glad I was born when I was, in 1990. I have many more options today than I would have had back then. There is less sexism, less racism, less homophobia, less violence, less war, the internet provides us with more information than anyone else in human history could possibly imagine, I mean the list goes on and on. Right now, I believe, is the best time to be alive.

It may be, for the reasons you list, but then, you don't have any experience having lived in any other era.

So how can you be sure?

It may be, for the reasons you list, but then, you don't have any experience having lived in any other era.

So how can you be sure?

I can't be 100% sure, but looking back at that time I can be as sure as one can be. I don't think it would have been a good time for me, a gay girl, to grow up in an era where the number one expectation from everyone for me was to get married to a man and start having babies.

I can't be 100% sure, but looking back at that time I can be as sure as one can be. I don't think it would have been a good time for me, a gay girl, to grow up in an era where the number one expectation from everyone for me was to get married to a man and start having babies.

You have a good point there.

Things have gotten both better and worse at the same time. It seems there are more narrisstic youths and youths who lack empathy, as well as a resurgence of racism over the last decade.

Things have gotten both better and worse at the same time. It seems there are more narrisstic youths and youths who lack empathy, as well as a resurgence of racism over the last decade.

Racism has always been with us. It's just less open now than it used to be.

My parents grew up in the fifties. I grew up in the 80s the music forum the fifties was magnificent. I also like the cars. But I can't possibly know if it was better. I wasn't alive my mother was abused by her relatives and her parents didn't seem to care but that goes in today so I can't blame the fifties for that.

I remember hearing a lot about Russia growing up, and Fidel Castro and the iron curtain but I wasn't really aware of what was going on. A cold war is a little more difficult to explain to a child than just blood and guts war. I wore loud colors and shirts that didn't come down to my navel in the summer, that was the style. We had the best children's movies. I was born in the video game generation but never had interest in it. I grew up in a very modest suburb. And all the neighborhood kids would get together and play at this or that kids house, mostly back yard. I remember thinking it was strange when the black boys down the block were gladly included into our hyjinx their mom and dad were quite shocked when the neighborhood children didn't see them as different, subsequently I learned about segregation and that was the only point it ever touched my life. Some of those same neighborhood children I am still friends with and even the godfather of one of their children. It never seemed a big deal if during our summer time fun a kid got hurt, there was normally a mother or an older sibling that knew just what to do. When the streets flooded that was the block pool party.

So my childhood happened in a great time. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up in the fifties but I doubt it would be that different.

Back
Top Bottom