• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

13 Things Men Think Are Compliments but Are Actually Just Sexist

For many teen boys over the years, Cosmo was a friend for exercising the right hand. :) Never ever had to wonder why my boys were reading their sisters' copies of Vogue when they spent an hour or two in the bathroom with the door locked. :)

Two hours in the bathroom? WTF?

I mean, the article makes pretty valid points. Nothing is the worst thing ever, but all those comments are pretty ****ty things to say.

Things Men Think Are Compliments But Are Actually Just Sexist

Cosmopolitian: The Gods of retarded-as-**** articles. This is a little old, but that doesn't change how dumb this article is.

Or maybe, y'know, he just likes how she looks without makeup.

Or he likes that you are into beer. It's crazy how some people like it when they share common interest with someone else.

How terrible for a person to be surprised that someone they like shares a common interest.

Why is this a bad thing? Would it be better if he said she wasn't any different from the rest of the women he's met in his life?

Nothing at all? So he's just not supposed to ask what you like to eat or anything?

Oh no! He likes that you are like a good friend to him! What. A. Tragedy.

Ridiculous assumptions are ridiculous.

Or maybe his ex was actually crazy. Believe it or not, some women are not nice people. And how the **** is this "sexist"?

This is probably the only sorta valid point, although I don't really see how it's "sexist". It's just rude.

Just making more stupid assumptions.

:roll:

Or maybe, he just likes what your ****ing wearing.

Good Lord. What the ****. How much crack do you have to snort to be offended by this?!
If I could dwell on stuff like this this tells me you have serious issues

Things Men Think Are Compliments But Are Actually Just Sexist

Cosmopolitian: The Gods of retarded-as-**** articles. This is a little old, but that doesn't change how dumb this article is.

Or maybe, y'know, he just likes how she looks without makeup.

Or he likes that you are into beer. It's crazy how some people like it when they share common interest with someone else.

How terrible for a person to be surprised that someone they like shares a common interest.

Why is this a bad thing? Would it be better if he said she wasn't any different from the rest of the women he's met in his life?

Nothing at all? So he's just not supposed to ask what you like to eat or anything?

Oh no! He likes that you are like a good friend to him! What. A. Tragedy.

Ridiculous assumptions are ridiculous.

Or maybe his ex was actually crazy. Believe it or not, some women are not nice people. And how the **** is this "sexist"?

This is probably the only sorta valid point, although I don't really see how it's "sexist". It's just rude.

Just making more stupid assumptions.

:roll:

Or maybe, he just likes what your ****ing wearing.

Good Lord. What the ****. How much crack do you have to snort to be offended by this?!

Not what I expected. I figured one of the comments would be, "Nice boobs," or something akin to that. Shows you where my mind went.

I don't think I ever said any of those things. But I would bet I said some that were close or perhaps as stupid.

Since this is way OT but interesting stuff, let's move to PM?

I may be slow today, though, work is making me nuts...

Whatever pleases you. I'm supposed to be retired, work still is making nuts most days. :)

I would certainly hope that someone's partner though they were one of the good ones of their gender. Is it sexist to believe that some women are more compatible with you than others?

The most dreaded words "We can still be friends." :)

Thanks for the lovely story about Eli Quentoroso. I grew up in Jackson Heights (only a couple of miles from Corona for those who don't know the area) in the 60s and 70s. Who knew that there was a world class luthier in the neighborhood. Those guitars aren't just instruments, they're works of art. Beautiful to look at and listen to.

Epiphone makes good instruments at a good price. Mine plays very well and sounds every bit as good as an ES335 but for a fraction of the price. I really ought to play her more.

I love tube amps. In the bass guitar world the gold standard amp is an Ampeg SVT - a monster tube amp. I've played a couple and their reputation is well deserved. I'm more a micro amp person. I use a small solid state head (though I'm thinking of trading it for one with tube pre-amp) and a 2x12 cabinet. That works in any LI bar, especially since lots of them have their own sound system and mike the amps anyway. Fits it my car and I don't feel like a professional mover getting it to a gig.

You as well. Keep jamming and having fun.

Eli still lives in Corona. Walks to the 7 train after rush hour, transfers to the 2 train to get to Lincoln Center. walks home after the rush hour from the 7 train after dining at one of the many restaurants in the area. He calls his wife before heading home, and they decide which restaurant to dine at that evening. She still teaches piano part time at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Academy on 105th St. I remember when she taught at Julliard, and performed with Tito Puenti and many of the other Hispanic bands.

I miss playing at LI bars, great audiences, out to have fun. Enjoy.

I would certainly hope that someone's partner though they were one of the good ones of their gender. Is it sexist to believe that some women are more compatible with you than others?

You don't get it. Not a "good one" meaning exceptional or compatible; meaning others are typically bad. Like if a black person, or gay person, is "one of the good ones".

Last edited:
You don't get it. Not a "good one" meaning exceptional or compatible, meaning others are typically bad. Like if a black person, or gay person, is "one of the good ones".

That's quite the assumption to make about someone's mindset, based on a handful of generic comments like "I like how you look without makeup" and "you like this thing I like? That's awesome!"

Yes, the only explanation for liking the fact that your girlfriend likes sports or whiskey is a thinly veiled disdain for half of the human population. It can't merely be some sports/whiskey-loving dolt who just enjoys spending time with someone who shares his hobbies and crippling addictions, no - it MUST be misogyny.

I mean, the article makes pretty valid points. Nothing is the worst thing ever, but all those comments are pretty ****ty things to say.

All of them? Really? What could possibly be wrong with #1, #2, #3, #5 or #12? Every single one of those are commentaries on someone's interest or style. There's no putdown or comparison to others, just a positive response to something about the woman you're on a date with.

That's quite the assumption to make about someone's mindset, based on a handful of generic comments like "I like how you look without makeup" and "you like this thing I like? That's awesome!"

You've changed the statements.

1. "I like that you don't wear a lot of makeup." Sounds nice, until you realize this is just a socially acceptable way of saying, "I (wrongly) assume that any woman who puts time or care into what goes on her face is high-maintenance and therefore dislike her."

2. "You order whiskey/beer? That's awesome." LMAO, as opposed to ordering what, ~cHiCk DrInKs~? Too many things are already unnecessarily gendered without adding alcohol to the list.

Yes, the only explanation for liking the fact that your girlfriend likes sports or whiskey is a thinly veiled disdain for half of the human population. It can't merely be some sports/whiskey-loving dolt who just enjoys spending time with someone who shares his hobbies and crippling addictions, no - it MUST be misogyny.

Read the statements with more attention to detail and my explanation in mind. A hetero man never says to another man, "You're ordering whisky/beer? That's awesome!"

You've changed the statements.

I misremembered one statement.

1. "I like that you don't wear a lot of makeup." Sounds nice, until you realize this is just a socially acceptable way of saying, "I (wrongly) assume that any woman who puts time or care into what goes on her face is high-maintenance and therefore dislike her."

It's almost like makeup exists for the express purpose of highlighting someone's best features and masking their worst, Ecofarm. Don't try to tell me that it isn't used to make your cheekbones more defined & to hide that old acne scar on your cheek.

The implication isn't that most women look ugly without makeup, it's that most ugly women wear makeup to look better (which is why most pretty women wear makeup, too).

2. "You order whiskey/beer? That's awesome." LMAO, as opposed to ordering what, ~cHiCk DrInKs~? Too many things are already unnecessarily gendered without adding alcohol to the list.

As opposed to fruity mixed drinks that men are statistically less likely to drink. When people you find attractive like things that you also like, it makes you happy because it generally means you have a better chance of having sex with them. People like sex, and people tend to have sex with people that have mutual interests. Ergo, people who have mutual interests are more likely to have sex with you. It's a simple feedback loop, and a,much more reasonable subconscious influence than misogyny.

Read the statements with more attention to detail and my explanation in mind. A hetero man never says to another man, "You're ordering whisky/beer? That's awesome!"

Ecofarm, that's because heterosexual men don't want to have sex with other men. You never say it's awesome when the guy next to you at the bar orders the same brand of whiskey as you, because you don't want to take him home with you so you can rip his shirt off with your teeth & lick chocolate sauce off of his erect nipples. That rainbow of common ground with your work buddy doesn't have a pot of delicious, lingerie-clad gold at the end of it, so you don't jump with joy when you discover it.

It's almost like makeup exists for the express purpose of highlighting someone's best features and masking their worst, Ecofarm. Don't try to tell me that it isn't used to make your cheekbones more defined & to hide that old acne scar on your cheek.

The implication isn't that most women look ugly without makeup, it's that most ugly women wear makeup to look better (which is why most pretty women wear makeup, too).

As opposed to fruity mixed drinks that men are statistically less likely to drink. When people you find attractive like things that you also like, it makes you happy because it generally means you have a better chance of having sex with them. People like sex, and people tend to have sex with people that have mutual interests. Ergo, people who have mutual interests are more likely to have sex with you. It's a simple feedback loop, and a,much more reasonable subconscious influence than misogyny.

Ecofarm, that's because heterosexual men don't want to have sex with other men. You never say it's awesome when the guy next to you at the bar orders the same brand of whiskey as you, because you don't want to take him home with you so you can rip his shirt off with your teeth & lick chocolate sauce off of his erect nipples. That rainbow of common ground with your work buddy doesn't have a pot of delicious, lingerie-clad gold at the end of it, so you don't jump with joy when you discover it.
Actually, you hit the nail on the head. Most of the one-liners in the OP are perfect get-laid door-openers.

How long have you hated women, Jesse? :mrgreen:

The fact that u heteros don't want to go down on the same sex, is extremely homophobic. Curb ur homophobia, Jess.

Oh yeah. Right next to Nicholas Cage.

I would far rather get to talk with Alex Jones than Nicolas Cage. Alex Jones occupies a very unique level of American-ness that I have only found in a small handful of figures in our nation's history (so far). Hunter Thompson and Samuel Whittemore are prime examples of this.

These people live on a level of intensity that normal people like you & I simply cannot fathom. Good or bad, they're just so goddamn unapologetically alive, and it's glorious to witness - even if it's only in the pages of a history book.

Back
Top Bottom