• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

100 years of "de stijl" aka "the style".

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
De Stijl, Dutch for "the style" is an art movement that started 100 years ago. It was started in 1917 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

The most famous artist from this movie is a world wide known painter, Piet Mondriaan.

thm_komposition-mit-rot_-gelb_-blau-und-schwarz.jpg

This is the style he is most famous for, Neoplasticism (very abstract). Some of his paintings have gone for stupid money (like a lot of other art).

Another famous person in the movement was Gerrit Rietveld, famous for his architecture and also for his famous furniture, one of his most famous works is:

Rietveld_chair_1.jpg

He is also as said well known for his architecture, some of which have been placed on the Unesco world heritage list. Famous is the Rietveld Schroder house

Today our King opened an exposition in the Hague of works by Mondriaan and van der Leck.

Van der Leck is also a painting from the same movement, this is one of his paintings:

cid54229_fullimage_lead%20resized.jpg

Thanks, Peter. That was refreshing to look at...and a nice break from politics. :)

This dress by Yves St. Laurent was inspired by Mondrian....

mercedesrobirosa-mondriandress-yvesstlaurent-hautecoutre.jpg

De Stijl, Dutch for "the style" is an art movement that started 100 years ago. It was started in 1917 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

The most famous artist from this movie is a world wide known painter, Piet Mondriaan.

This is the style he is most famous for, Neoplasticism (very abstract). Some of his paintings have gone for stupid money (like a lot of other art).

Another famous person in the movement was Gerrit Rietveld, famous for his architecture and also for his famous furniture, one of his most famous works is:

He is also as said well known for his architecture, some of which have been placed on the Unesco world heritage list. Famous is the Rietveld Schroder house

Today our King opened an exposition in the Hague of works by Mondriaan and van der Leck.

Van der Leck is also a painting from the same movement, this is one of his paintings:

I caught a Mondrian exhibit in Seattle several years go and was surprised to see how many adjustments he made to his pieces. For instance, his Composition 1917 - https://pietmondrianblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/piet-mondrian_1917-1917_composition.jpg - was retouched all over the place. I'm not sure what he was looking at as he created the piece but it changed a LOT before he called it complete.

I caught a Mondrian exhibit in Seattle several years go and was surprised to see how many adjustments he made to his pieces. For instance, his Composition 1917 - https://pietmondrianblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/piet-mondrian_1917-1917_composition.jpg - was retouched all over the place. I'm not sure what he was looking at as he created the piece but it changed a LOT before he called it complete.

I do like the overall style of the "stijl" but I am more a fan of Magritte, van Gogh, Dali, Picasso and painters like that. I like to see what a picture means, even if the true meaning is much deeper than can be seen from the piece at first.

I am not sure Mondriaan was seeing anything at all. But he did not start with such abstract works, this is one of his too http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lTM7i_A30ys/TzywaWgRFXI/AAAAAAAAAXY/sWKv10mx7c8/s1600/Mondriaan+-+Bos+bij+Oele.jpg and it isn't really abstract yet, you can see what it means at least.

This for example is too from Mondriaan

665328f2e8f4affa517678f2cce118ce.jpg

as is this

trees-by-the-water.jpg

He was able to also create non-abstract art, so maybe he did see an image in his abstract work, even though I doubt it, I think he saw more of a shape/feeling than a traditional "image".

Back
Top Bottom