• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘It’s catastrophic’: U.S. allies reject Trump’s Jerusalem pronouncement[W:25]

Angelus

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
‘It’s catastrophic’: U.S. allies reject Trump’s Jerusalem pronouncement

Ahead of Trump's pronouncement, close U.S. allies such as Britain, France and Germany had criticized him and questioned the wisdom of such a move. German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said Tuesday that the pursuit of such policies by the Trump administration is why traditional U.S.-European ties have started to “crumble.”

“We all know the far-reaching impact this move would have,” Gabriel said. “Germany’s position on this issue remains unchanged: A solution to the Jerusalem problem can only be found through direct negotiations between both parties. Everything which worsens the crisis is counterproductive.”

In Russia, the Kremlin also joined the list of nations fearing that such a move will exacerbate tensions between Israel and Palestinians, saying that the situation could worsen as a result. It was one of the few times a Kremlin foreign policy goal has converged with that of most NATO member states.Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said the U.S. plan is “unlawful” and could have “irreversible consequences” in the region.

So, looks like Trump managed to unite the whole damn world against us this time.

I can't think of anything more likely to cause attacks than recognizing Jerusalem as the capitol or Israel.The only group that will happy with this is religious fanatics - including evangelicals around the world and right wing Israelis. I can't think of any group in the US who benefits by this other than the 'end is nigh' crowd pushing for the 3rd temple. What possible reason could he have for making this decision?

Right now I am betting a reversal will come - because this is ridiculous.

Re: ‘It’s catastrophic’: U.S. allies reject Trump’s Jerusalem pronouncement

Again, and I can't stress this enough, Trump is really good at finding important cultural symbols and using them to divide and conquer.

What I wouldn't give for people, black and white, gay and straight, and Jew and Palestine alike, to unite as brother and sister and say, "Donald, take your divisive **** elsewhere and go to hell."

This type of silly announcement does nothing but invite more terror attacks. America needs to stop meddling in that region and just leave.

I mean... it IS Israel's capital, Trump didn't "make it" it's capital... and I side with Israel against countries/people who are trying to take it's sovereignty away.

I mean... it IS Israel's capital, Trump didn't "make it" it's capital... and I side with Israel against countries/people who are trying to take it's sovereignty away.

I agree.

Jerusalem was founded by the Jews, was the location of the Holy Temple built in 957 BC, and belongs to that people more than any other group who lay some claim to it...even Christians who should recognize that Jesus was a Jew.

They've come home. They are independent and capable of defending their nation now.

I support his announcement...as long as it is the Jewish people who have to act without American military support to enforce their claims.

And the rest of the world be damned?

I believe Israel has a right to exist as a Jewish state. That's not the issue here. Jews have lived in Israel since before the Roman Empire - they didn't all disappear. Yes, there were Palestinian Jews.

However, the disposition of Jerusalem has been under negotiation in all sorts of international forums - both geopolitical and religious. What is the point of making a decision like this when he knows it's gonna upset far more then an apple cart?

Ahead of Trump's pronouncement, close U.S. allies such as Britain, France and Germany had criticized him and questioned the wisdom of such a move. German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said Tuesday that the pursuit of such policies by the Trump administration is why traditional U.S.-European ties have started to “crumble.”

“We all know the far-reaching impact this move would have,” Gabriel said. “Germany’s position on this issue remains unchanged: A solution to the Jerusalem problem can only be found through direct negotiations between both parties. Everything which worsens the crisis is counterproductive.”

In Russia, the Kremlin also joined the list of nations fearing that such a move will exacerbate tensions between Israel and Palestinians, saying that the situation could worsen as a result. It was one of the few times a Kremlin foreign policy goal has converged with that of most NATO member states.Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said the U.S. plan is “unlawful” and could have “irreversible consequences” in the region.

So, looks like Trump managed to unite the whole damn world against us this time.

I can't think of anything more likely to cause attacks than recognizing Jerusalem as the capitol or Israel.The only group that will happy with this is religious fanatics - including evangelicals around the world and right wing Israelis. I can't think of any group in the US who benefits by this other than the 'end is nigh' crowd pushing for the 3rd temple. What possible reason could he have for making this decision?

They aren’t too concerned that they feel Israel has no right to exist, and kill8ng Jews is cause for celebration.

What have they lost? One more thing to bitch about. And BTW, the democrats were in favor of it during the Obama administration.

America has become a rogue nation.... this is only Exhibit F of the case.

And the rest of the world be damned?

I believe Israel has a right to exist as a Jewish state. That's not the issue here. Jews have lived in Israel since before the Roman Empire - they didn't all disappear. Yes, there were Palestinian Jews.

However, the disposition of Jerusalem has been under negotiation in all sorts of international forums - both geopolitical and religious. What is the point of making a decision like this when he knows it's gonna upset far more then an apple cart?

Because it is the right decision, because there shouldn't need to be "negotiation" for the ownership of Jerusalem, any more than there should be for Mecca, Vatican City, or any other place other races, cultures, and religions claim as wholly their own.

Jerusalem is their city, the city of their culture, religion, and people. It is their capital and always has been for more than a thousand years...even when they were forced to leave it time and again, conqueror after conqueror, occupier after occupier.

Funny how people on the left of every other argument, claiming this group, or that belief system deserves reparations, etc., fudge on this one.

Apparently everyone is deserving it seems...except the Jews. They have to negotiate for what is and has always been uniquely theirs.

Really?

Last edited:

Israel allows that Palestine has a right to exist. The Palestinians have never allowed that Israel has a right to exist. Palestinians are not now and have never been invested in peace. Turkey under Erdogan and other extremist states like Iran have forever vowed to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Its never a question of if but when tensions will continue to escalate. Meanwhile, just this last week, the UK uncovered plots by fundamentalist Muslims to kill both Teresa May and the 4 year old Prince George. The people y'all are bent on appeasing are still actively murdering people across the planet.

Your appeasement isnt working.

Israel allows that Palestine has a right to exist. The Palestinians have never allowed that Israel has a right to exist. Palestinians are not now and have never been invested in peace. Turkey under Erdogan and other extremist states like Iran have forever vowed to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Its never a question of if but when tensions will continue to escalate. Meanwhile, just this last week, the UK uncovered plots by fundamentalist Muslims to kill both Teresa May and the 4 year old Prince George. The people y'all are bent on appeasing are still actively murdering people across the planet.

Israel is doing everything in it's power to prevent Palestine from existing.

Because it is the right decision, because there shouldn't need to be "negotiation" for the ownership of Jerusalem, any more than there should be for Mecca, Vatican City, or any other place other races, cultures, and religions claim as wholly their own.

Jerusalem is their city, the city of their culture, religion, and people. It is their capital and always has been for more than a thousand years...even when they were forced to leave it time and again, conqueror after conqueror, occupier after occupier.

Funny how people on the left of every other argument, claiming this group, or that belief system deserves reparations, etc., fudge on this one.

Apparently everyone is deserving it seems...except the Jews. They have to negotiate for what is and has always been uniquely theirs.

Really?

Jerusalem is not their city. It does not legally belong to them. Just because they stole it doesn't mean legal ownership is transferred to them.

Jerusalem is not their city. It does not legally belong to them. Just because they stole it doesn't mean legal ownership is transferred to them.

Liberated.

Well, there is something that can increase the probability of an intifada. That is signalling the Palestinians that they are right. That is, what France and Germany did, when they signalled Saddam support in the negotiations concerning inspections and information.

In this case, these allies had plenty of time to negotiate a peace in the Near East. They didn't.

We have watched all sorts of peace deals and peace prizes. But in the last moment Palestinians have every time thrown a monkey wrench in the spokes. Maybe more preasure is better.

But it is Trump, so the topic is not the question. It is Trump.

Liberated.

"Liberated".

You know, I rather doubt anyone in Jerusalem felt they were in need of "liberation" when they were under Jordanian rule, but hey, religious based land grabs are always good, right?

This is a load of bull****. If you ask an Israeli there is no nation of Palestine. It does not exist to them, they do not recognize their rights to self-determination and they actively petition the world not to recognize them. Both have a right to exist, the Israelis do not have a right to total domination over the Palestinians.

Don't try to reason with sycophants, it never works.

Liberated.

Wow. Next time you're at work, I'll enter your house and "liberate" your TV and jewellery.

"Liberated".

You know, I rather doubt anyone in Jerusalem felt they were in need of "liberation" when they were under Jordanian rule, but hey, religious based land grabs are always good, right?

Religious?
As far as it upsets you the Jewish people exist and have existed in Jerusalem for 3,000 years. It is their historical capital. The place where they were born as a people. Jerusalem has been liberated from the Jordanians, not "stolen".

Wow. Next time you're at work, I'll enter your house and "liberate" your TV and jewellery.

Had you owned my house, TV and jewellery it would make sense yet you never have. Anyway wouldn't recommend it.

Had you owned my house, TV and jewellery it would make sense yet you never have. Anyway wouldn't recommend it.

Israel hasn't owned Jerusalem for 2,000 years. Modern land ownership disputes should be resolved by the rule of law, not biblical text.

Still blowing more stuff out of proportion I see.

Why is it that people get up in a damn tizzy whenever he does anything?

They aren’t too concerned that they feel Israel has no right to exist, and kill8ng Jews is cause for celebration.

What have they lost? One more thing to bitch about. And BTW, the democrats were in favor of it during the Obama administration.

Yeah - it comes from both sides of the spectrum

Really?

It's the holy city for 3 different faiths (actually more) - and while there have been Jews there all along there have also been Christians and Muslims.

"Liberated".

Learn some history - WWI was against the Ottoman Empire. It was split into separate protectorates by Europe.

0113-top-san-remo-map.jpg

Syria became an independent nation in 1946. Transjordan was also created exactly 2 years before Israel.It was meant to be a Palestinian state, and has a population over 90% Palestinian. The Hashemites took over, kicked all the protestors out into the West Bank - and then gave the West Bank to Israel. Jerusalem was split between Transjordan and Israel in 1948. Everything going on there is rebound from WWI.

This is a load of bull****. If you ask an Israeli there is no nation of Palestine. It does not exist to them, they do not recognize their rights to self-determination and they actively petition the world not to recognize them. Both have a right to exist, the Israelis do not have a right to total domination over the Palestinians.

If you ask an American they all believe Trump is....fill in the blank. There are huge differences of opinion in Israel just like there are in the US.

Israel hasn't owned Jerusalem for 2,000 years. Modern land ownership disputes should be resolved by the rule of law, not biblical text.

Israel as a state existed since 1948 and owned united Jerusalem since 1967. The land itself has been occupied by Jordanians, British, Ottomans and others since it was taken from the Jewish people but did not belong to them. There is no global "rule of law" concept, there is no single world government. Israel has liberated Jerusalem and that's all that matters.

Moderator's Warning:
This thread is now in the I/P forum. Be aware of the rules of this section and act accordingly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom