• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your refrigerator is as dangerous as ISIS!

Yes, I've read it. Now give me the larger context that changes the meaning of that passage.

He can't without admitting that Kerry was at a climate conference in Vienna, and referred to ISIL for a comparison.

ISIL at a climate conference... Think about what it implies...

Saying it's of equal importance as fighting terrorism...

OK...

He can't without admitting that Kerry was at a climate conference in Vienna, and referred to ISIL for a comparison.

OK...

Well, and that conference was to discuss the Montreal Protocol for regulating refrigerator emissions to protect the ozone. Hence Kerry's idiotic comparison of Refrigerator Ozone depletion and Isis

How the **** would you conclude that?

Because you agree with Kerry that combating the common refrigerants is as important as ISIL, and the refrigerants are of no real concern. Hence, you say ISIL is of no concern.

Deuce, et.al...

Kerry is a joke to begin with. Then when he claims we emit a gigaton annually of HFCs...

This jerk doesn't have a clue. We probably emit just over 30 gigatons of CO2 annually. This amounts to a few added ppm annually. I haven't found the accepted HFC numbers annually, but it is in the ppt. There is a million to 1 ratio between ppm to ppt. HFCs average around twice as heavy as CO2. It appears we emit around 36 ppt annually, but I'm not sure I found the right number.

Do the math.

Kerry is such a laughable joke.

Last edited:
OK...

I took the top six HFC numbers out of the AR5. The increase from 2005 to 2011, and came up with an annual increase of only 11.008 ppt. There is no way this comes close to gigatons!

OK...

Oh good, another one is pretending it always always referring to climate instead of of "killer refrigerators."

Because you agree with Kerry that combating the common refrigerants is as important as ISIL, and the refrigerants are of no real concern. Hence, you say ISIL is of no concern.

He said climate change was as important as ISIL. How many times does this need to be explained to you?

Oh good, another one is pretending it always always referring to climate instead of of "killer refrigerators."

This was aimed specifically at the refrigerants used, but it was Kerry that brought ISIL into it.

To say addressing these HFC's is as important as addressing ISIL is monumentally stupid. And yes, it absolutely means he is saying HFC's are as dangerous. Except that... the amount he claims annually takes well over 500 years.

Someone gave him wrong information, or he just decided to lie.

This was aimed specifically at the refrigerants used, but it was Kerry that brought ISIL into it.

To say addressing these HFC's is as important as addressing ISIL is monumentally stupid. And yes, it absolutely means he is saying HFC's are as dangerous. Except that... the amount he claims annually takes well over 500 years.

Someone gave him wrong information, or he just decided to lie.

Again, that remark was about global warming as a whole. The amendment of the day was about HFCs, but the Montreal Protocol is about more than HFCs.

Kerry was saying that dealing with climate change (and pollution in general) is as important as dealing with ISIL. Which is 100% true. Unless you're one of those right-wingers operating on a platform of "it's all a big hoax," because then you'll never understand the perception of AGW proponents.

You're wrong about the 500 year number, incidentally, because you misread what he said about HFC amounts.

Last edited:
OK...

I took the top six HFC numbers out of the AR5. The increase from 2005 to 2011, and came up with an annual increase of only 11.008 ppt. There is no way this comes close to gigatons!

Deuce, et.al...

Kerry is a joke to begin with. Then when he claims we emit a gigaton annually of HFCs...

This jerk doesn't have a clue. We probably emit just over 30 gigatons of CO2 annually. This amounts to a few added ppm annually. I haven't found the accepted HFC numbers annually, but it is in the ppt. There is a million to 1 ratio between ppm to ppt. HFCs average around twice as heavy as CO2. It appears we emit around 36 ppt annually, but I'm not sure I found the right number.

Do the math.

Kerry is such a laughable joke.

He didn't claim we emit a gigaton of HFCs. Read more carefully.

He didn't claim we emit a gigaton of HFCs. Read more carefully.

He said a gigaton equivalent. When you do the math, it becomes rather meaningless, especially since his math is off anyway. It's closer to a megaton equivalent.

That's a pretty important distinction.

Show your work.
I already explained it and it is so obvious.

There is a 10^6 difference between ppm and ppt. When you adjust for the GWP and mass, you still have a vast difference not made up to get to 1 gigaton equivalent. It is magnitudes short.

I already explained it and it is so obvious.

There is a 10^6 difference between ppm and ppt. When you adjust for the GWP and mass, you still have a vast difference not made up to get to 1 gigaton equivalent. It is magnitudes short.

So you say, but without knowing what numbers you're working with and what their source is, I have no way of evaluating your math.

EIA - Greenhouse Gas Emissions - High-GWP gases

These guys put it at 150million GT-E in 2009 for the US alone. It seems your math may be orders of magnitude off.

Last edited:
These guys put it at 150million GT-E in 2009 for the US alone. It seems your math may be orders of magnitude off.

150 million metric tons equivalent is not 150 million gigatons equivalent.

When will you ever learn?

Have a serious magnitude issue there!

So you say, but without knowing what numbers you're working with and what their source is, I have no way of evaluating your math.

What?

I said I used the highest six AR5 numbers.

You can't do basic algebra?

The only reference to what he actually said was about air conditioning, and he's got a point. Aircon lets you live in a place where you shouldn't and stresses the environment even further as your food and drink "needs" are trucked in. (refrigerated.) so there you are, shivering in the desert by your pool next to the golf course with your suv ticking over in the garage.....

OK, then...turn yours off, and live without either frig or A/C for a month.
(subject to scrupulous monitoring)

You know you won't. So why did you even say that?

John Kerry warns your refrigerator is as dangerous as ISIS - AOL

What a tool!

LAFRIOT!

After seeing in the last month what a thoroughly corrupt organization the Democrat party is, can we not any of these people in charge of anything important, anywhere? IS that too much to ask.

And remember, almost all the warmists, and the scientific academies are liberal Democrats

From the link:

To be fair Kerry isn't exactly comparing the need to stay cool to the Islamic State but warns the discussion around HFC and other pollutants are essential to even having a planet to live on at all.

Environmental concerns have been talked about every week - every month - every year . . . since the 1800's. Likely before that in this country. Jefferson and Lincoln were advocates of various efforts and established things to preserve and protect the environment (to name just two Presidents).

So what's this continuous narrative that no one talks about it? :roll:

I think a lot of people get pissed over it because people keep drumming false narratives like the one quoted above. And further, we went from having universal environment concerns and making efforts to preserve and protect to jumping on the Climate Change - proper noun - bandwagon. Why not just stick to Environmental Concerns and encapsulate everything without the doomsday drama that comes with CC theories? I find some narratives of what climate change is to be ignorant and uneducated - and people wonder why the term itself is a button. No one really had issues when it was called environmental concerns.

Last edited:
150 million metric tons equivalent is not 150 million gigatons equivalent.

When will you ever learn?

Have a serious magnitude issue there!

Wait, how did you come up with 150 million gigatons? Did Kerry say a billion gigatons?

Wait, how did you come up with 150 million gigatons? Did Kerry say a billion gigatons?

No he didn't.

I'm saying you are confused and don't understand.

You posted "150million GT-E in 2009" but the chart is in megatons. Not GT-E (gigatons equivalent) like you said. The chart in your link says millions of tons for the Y axis. Not gigatons.

It is you that equated it to 150 million gigatons equivalent.

So simple, yet you are incapable of comprehending anything that doesn't agree with your dogma.

So tell me. Is 150 million tons equivalent anywhere close to the over 1 gigatons of the CO2 we release annually?

At that rate, it takes 20 years to equal 1 year of CO2 release.

He said it is equal to one year. Right?

Now what is 1 gigaton equivalent, even if accurate? I'm not going to get into the finer points of the math, that make it even less scary. I will point this out however. Of the approximate 3000 gigatons of CO2 in the atmosphere, which increases by over 30 annually, even at 1 gigaton it is puny. It only raises the forcing by 0.001 W/m^2.

No he didn't.

I'm saying you are confused and don't understand.

You posted "150million GT-E in 2009" but the chart is in megatons. Not GT-E (gigatons equivalent) like you said. The chart in your link says millions of tons for the Y axis. Not gigatons.

It is you that equated it to 150 million gigatons equivalent.

So simple, yet you are incapable of comprehending anything that doesn't agree with your dogma.

So tell me. Is 150 million tons equivalent anywhere close to the over 1 gigatons of the CO2 we release annually?

At that rate, it takes 20 years to equal 1 year of CO2 release.

He said it is equal to one year. Right?

Now what is 1 gigaton equivalent, even if accurate? I'm not going to get into the finer points of the math, that make it even less scary. I will point this out however. Of the approximate 3000 gigatons of CO2 in the atmosphere, which increases by over 30 annually, even at 1 gigaton it is puny. It only raises the forcing by 0.001 W/m^2.

Ahh, I see what your confusion is.

I was pointing out that the US alone accounted for 150 megatons, seven years ago. Worldwide and seven years later, a gigaton doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Certainly not "magnitudes" off as you claim.

I'll believe him when he sells his many homes with many refrigerators and air conditioning.

I'll believe him when he sells his many homes with many refrigerators and air conditioning.

Oh look another one didn't ****in read what he said.

Back
Top Bottom