• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your favorite reading memories from school

You probably still have that kind of curiosity.

Most definitely. I like reading fiction more than non-fiction, but I very much enjoy just learning things no matter if it's from a book, YouTube video, TV show, etc.

I used to do that too.
Me too. My parents were getting Readers Digest Condensed Books for awhile and those introduced me to Arthur Haley, Daphne duMaurier, others I liked.

Anne of Green Gables I've always liked that book because of how wholesome it was and it's depiction of a rural maritime community. For those who aren't Canadians this treasured story book from LM Montgomery follows Anne, an orphan girl who maybe murdered her parents in America before being trafficked to Prince Edward Island in Canada to do backbreaking farm work for the spinster farmer and her effeminate weak brother. (well I should say every word of that can be justified by what's written in the book) but actually it's a tale about an unwanted orphan girl who is adopted by farmers in Canada who want a boy to do work on the farm, and she soon endears herself to the community. There's even an anne of green gables national park in Canada. maybe ill go some day.

I only recently bought a copy, although i've read this book maybe four or five times in my life. plus a follow up book written from LM Montgomery's notes called Christmas with Anne. I plan to start reading those to my daughter in a few years when she's old enough for story time.

Oh my, where to start. I started reading young and always had my nose in a book. The Nancy Drew series was a big one for awhile. An older cousin gave me all of hers--they were really fun. The Secret Garden, Harriet the Spy, A Wrinkle in Time are a few that come to mind, but I read everything I could get my hands on. When I was younger, I loved my Giant Book of Fairy Tales.
Made me think of the Hardy Boys 👍

Anne of Green Gables I've always liked that book because of how wholesome it was and it's depiction of a rural maritime community. For those who aren't Canadians this treasured story book from LM Montgomery follows Anne, an orphan girl who maybe murdered her parents in America before being trafficked to Prince Edward Island in Canada to do backbreaking farm work for the spinster farmer and her effeminate weak brother. (well I should say every word of that can be justified by what's written in the book) but actually it's a tale about an unwanted orphan girl who is adopted by farmers in Canada who want a boy to do work on the farm, and she soon endears herself to the community. There's even an anne of green gables national park in Canada. maybe ill go some day.

I only recently bought a copy, although i've read this book maybe four or five times in my life. plus a follow up book written from LM Montgomery's notes called Christmas with Anne. I plan to start reading those to my daughter in a few years when she's old enough for story time.
The Little House on the Prairie books are wholesome and adventurous for young girls. Heidi also.

Elementary, junior high/middle school, high school, college..... what are your favorite memories around reading during those years? Anything in particular make a lasting impression on you?

As to lasting impressions formed during that time frame, the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson was disturbingly unforgettable, a historical novel on the life of Anne Boleyn I read in 6th grade began a lifetime interest in history (even though I can't remember the title), the autobiography of Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne, Kyra, created awareness of the impact of war on civilians, then the last book that fits the time frame was William L. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

"The Masque of the Red Death" in second grade. It wasn't assigned but found in the textbook.

When schools still taught Humanities, one of my favorite reads was the Bhagavad Gita.

"The Masque of the Red Death" in second grade. It wasn't assigned but found in the textbook.
I also loved all of the Edgar Allen Poe books. If you have Netflix, watch The Fall of the House of Usher. It won't disappoint.

Hated school from kindergarten through high school. It wasn't the teachers or other kids as they were always great!

I was a wild juvenile delinquent off the streets of Roxbury & Dorchester in Boston that ended up stuck in a small papermill town in Maine.

When I dropped out of high school in the 10th grade there were two teachers and a local judge who really stayed on my ass. I guess they saw some good in me. They were constantly pleading with me to keep reading, self study, and getting my GED. Whenever they saw me around town, which was quite often, they would approach me.........almost every time.

People like that are priceless and I wish that I had appreciated them more back then..

Other than that, I remember my parents getting a set of the World Book Encyclopedia and I'd grab a volume at random and spend the afternoon browsing through it.
Me too. Dad purchased the Britannica Encyclopedias. I recall being especially intrigued with the pictures from the South America region. What stood out to me was how colorful the women's attire was. Yellows, reds etc..

Book fairs --- I never had any money and was always so jealous of the kids who got the cool stuff. Same with ordering books from the Scholastic flyer.
When my son was still in public school, the PTO would give every student $5 certificate to shop with.

I had the same memory of not being able to buy things when I was a kid, so I was so happy to see that.
I also loved all of the Edgar Allen Poe books. If you have Netflix, watch The Fall of the House of Usher. It won't disappoint.
Oof…Edgar Allen Poe and The Cask of Amontillado traumatized me as a child.

I worked in the HS Library all through HS. Got extra credits for it. I loved reading all of the newest magazines that came in.

You were forging through Poe in second grade? Whoa.

I worked in the HS Library all through HS. Got extra credits for it. I loved reading all of the newest magazines that came in.
Oh, yes! My favorite work study job in college was in the library! They soon discovered if they sent me off with a cart of books to return to the stacks, they wouldn't see me again. So they sent me to the old periodicals room in the basement. That was okay, though. I'd do whatever they said and then read Smithsonians. I love libraries!!!

When my son was still in public school, the PTO would give every student $5 certificate to shop with.

I had the same memory of not being able to buy things when I was a kid, so I was so happy to see that.

Oof…Edgar Allen Poe and The Cask of Amontillado traumatized me as a child.
It makes me so sad to think of you two not having money for the book fair! That was better than a candy shop for me. I'm glad you can afford books now.

My first vivid reading memory was in first grade. We had a substitute teacher that day. She was very old. We were doing a phonics worksheet where we had to color the pictures that had a short /a/ sound. I colored the wagon and she told me I was wrong.

In fifth grade, we had Read-a-thon days where we read something all day long - by ourselves, with partners, in a group, teacher read aloud. It was THE BEST thing ever. This was the year that started my obsession with Nancy Drew.

Later on in school, I read all of the Sweet Valley High and Babysitter's Club books. In high school, I read every Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine Fear Street book I could get my hands on. I also loved all fairy tales and VC Andrews books.

Sounds like we had the same reading habits in school.

As far as favorite reading memories, it would be in fifth grade from my favorite teacher who had us act out our book reports. Even though one time, being the shy person I can be, she made a valid critique about mine and made me cry, it also made me stronger and better able to handle constructive criticism.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. Loved Weekly Reader, loved Charlotte’s Web, loved the Little House series, but my all-time favorite? If Beverly Cleary wrote it, I’m going to read it. Repeatedly.

Then I turned 12 and started reading Stephen King. 😂

Book fairs --- I never had any money and was always so jealous of the kids who got the cool stuff. Same with ordering books from the Scholastic flyer.

Same. All the rich kids for book fair money. We just had to sit in class and wait for them to come back and show us what they bought. 😕

Love to read.
I VERY much enjoyed The Three Investigators. Was not much of a fan of the campy/corny Hardy Boys.
I also loved Stephen Donaldson "Thomas Covenant" series.
A number of Asimov books... gosh... that would be just a start.

Loved book fairs! I would check off so many that my mom would say let's save a few for next time. I remember buying lots of Encyclopedia Brown, and moving on to Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, the Bobbsey Twins, and then on to Agatha Christie, John Dickson Carr and other more adult authors.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. Loved Weekly Reader, loved Charlotte’s Web, loved the Little House series, but my all-time favorite? If Beverly Cleary wrote it, I’m going to read it. Repeatedly.

Then I turned 12 and started reading Stephen King. 😂

Ramona books were my jam for awhile. The Mouse and the Motorcycle is still a favorite in my classroom every year too.

Back
Top Bottom