• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

Would you (gladly) live in a predomantly African-American neighborhood?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No.

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • I would say no, but am afraid of being called a racist.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a hypocrite and will say yes even though i mean no.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sheesh, will anybody try to answer the question. I realize it is a loaded question as "Have you quit beating your wife yet?". Still, that's the point. Saying yes is almost certainly an unadulterated form of hypocrisy and hypocrisy is the point.

I guess you wanted this to be a "racist question." Why??

Rofl? I wanted it? Um - no the OP asked whether you'd move to a neighbourhood simply based on the racial demographics. Maybe if you didn't spend your time figuring out ways to say black people are brainwashed, you'd see past the painfully visible intent behind this abomination of a thread. Then again, most white conservative women are brainwashed into believing immigrants move into poor neighbourhoods because of the nightlife so I'm not really shocked at your response.

Last edited:
I wonder where the OP went? I guess he doesn't like the answers he's getting.

I don't know if we have ever had a poll thread fail so badly for an OP ever here.

Depends on the socio-economic status of the area. (And I'm black lol)

Around say South Florida, I'd say no. Since I know what they're mostly like and have no desire to live there.

Didn't vote on the poll, there should of been an other choice.

If it looks like this - NO
Camden_NJ_poverty.jpg

If it looks like this - YES
Colors20254.jpg

I have and it was a perfectly fine place to live.

People are people.

I believe that and so have many others...but not wanting to and refusing to does not in itself make you a racist as was being implied

i wouldnt choose my neighborhood according to colors of the people living there

Rofl. You're so naive as to why immigrants and minorities cluster together that it's weird. They don't move in together because of ****ing restaurants. They do it to get a sense of security from what are usually clearly xenophobic governments. The Italians and Irish moved in together cause they wouldn't let them move in anywhere else. They were segregated. Black neighbourhoods were created by local governments who didn't want black people living near them. The Chinese in SF were restricted to their neighbourhood by anti-Chinese sentiment. The restaurants, and all that other feel good sense of security **** comes as a result of a majority seeking to isolate a group.

You're going back in history, Hat. Segregation in regards to real estate hasn't been around for 30-40 years. Your opinion is coming from out of the past...not the present. I'm not naive. You have a chip on your shoulder.

I don't know this first-hand, but I think many 1st/2nd generation immigrants tend to cluster. This could be for a variety of reasons, though. Many don't speak fluent English -- or are self-conscious about their ability to do so -- ethnic food stores and restaurants -- the right churches. I'd imagine it's very difficult immigrating to the United States. I can't imagine moving 5,000 miles from family. Anything that would make me feel more at home? I'd be in with both feet.
Rofl. You're so naive as to why immigrants and minorities cluster together that it's weird. They don't move in together because of ****ing restaurants. They do it to get a sense of security from what are usually clearly xenophobic governments. The Italians and Irish moved in together cause they wouldn't let them move in anywhere else. They were segregated. Black neighbourhoods were created by local governments who didn't want black people living near them. The Chinese in SF were restricted to their neighbourhood by anti-Chinese sentiment. The restaurants, and all that other feel good sense of security **** comes as a result of a majority seeking to isolate a group.
You're going back in history, Hat. Segregation in regards to real estate hasn't been around for 30-40 years. Your opinion is coming from out of the past...not the present. I'm not naive. You have a chip on your shoulder.
How far back were you going, bright eyes?

If you are talking about RECENT immigrants, they will tend to live in to the areas where they can afford to stay and where they feel most comfortable.....hence, already established ethic areas that were established by previous ethnic groups...that did so because of segregation, that was official or informal.

I lived a substantial part of my years in some of the nastiest parts of Duval County. Today? I would live in a relatively upper middle income neighborhood with low crime rates. The skin tones of my neighbors (and since we have recently discussed it, sexual orientation) would be irrelevant. Community minded individuals that care about themselves and respect others is all I care about.

If you are asking if I would live in a ghetto or Appalachian trailer parks these days, my answer is very much 'no'. Again...skin color is irrelevant.

Laughable at best.

An article about Zimmerman jarred me into posting this poll. The question is simple. Would you live in a neighborhood which is predominantly African-American?

I have East Detroit.

I lived in Philly before...it is really no big deal at all. People are really nice. Race had nothing to do with the crime there....it was usually a drug or gang issue and I'm not involved with either...whites/blacks/mexicans...all the above.

Rule of thumb: Mind your own business.

I have to "mostly" disagree

we only have ONE item we are using for a decision.

Unless you are a first or 2nd generation immigrant I think its weird and stupid for that ONE thing to be a factor of any merit.

These blacks you speak off that dont want to live in an all black neighborhood I would guess (totally guess I could be wrong) were falsely associating it with poverty or crime etc etc (tv, movies, media)

Neither of those are a factor here :shrug:

Race of neighbors should never be a factor and thats the part that I think is nonsense. "IF" the neighborhood has the things I want, school district, good location to work or shops or school or maybe even more personal space, clean, low crime or anything else you or I may want race of neighbors is waaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom LOL

Now like I said, I say this being an american my whole life and a many generation american. Newer americans I could understand wanting to associate more with their own for security, learning and maybe even easy access to their recently departed culture (food, religion, music etc) but im guessing they would change their minds if that neighborhood had a ****ty school district, high crime, looked like **** etc etc etc

I do agree with you though, I wouldnt go as far as it means "one is definitely racist" you can NOT draw that absolute from the decision unless you ask MORE questions and try to understand why.

But I think what people are getting at in this thread and what the OP "tried" and failed to do is to paint race as the most or highly significant factor. Its just not and if it is, IMO those people might have a serious issue. Id have to ask them why they care and rank it so high FIRST though.

Another GUESS is im thinking people are looking at this thread for what it is, one dimensional and stupid.

Race "alone" in most cases should never be a factor.

for example

Hey mike! I found a really nice house you and you family should look at. Its in the High-honors school district, right by our church and about a mile away from the shopping complex we always go to. My Cousins live in that same area they love it, its really clean and beautiful there, the neighbors are old school neighbors and crime is low. Its only about 15mins from where they are going to build your new office building and a direct bus route comes right by there to go to the football games!

yeah buddy, looks like we will be having pregame at your house from now on!!!

If mikes next question is "how many black people live there" Mike PROBABLY has some serious issues LMAO

now, its not certain and of course my example laid it on PRETTY THICK lol but Im just trying to show you how stupid the OP is because of his shallow one dimensional question.

Bottom line, everybody probably makes up their own scenario in their head and the one piece of information the OP gives you is not nearly enough information for anybody normal and objective IMO

Maybe I wasnt clear so I will try again..

These blacks you speak off that dont want to live in an all black neighborhood I would guess (totally guess I could be wrong) were falsely associating it with poverty or crime etc etc (tv, movies, media)

These blacks you speak of are cops raised in harlem..bronx and bed sty ...they dont falsely associate anything theyve lived it their entire lives unlike most posting in this thread.
There are some black neighborhoods where a white guy wouldnt leave his house and wouldnt be safe in it.....now you can try to make a fact into a racist statement if you want too but thats on you.....My thing is this...I dont want to live in an all black neighborhood and Im not a racist...and to insinuate someone is a racist who prefers NOT to live in a specific neighborhood is just plain wrong...and Id bet a donut there isnt any whitefolk in this thread actively seeking out an abode in all black neighborhood...talk is cheap...living it is a whole different ballgame....Im not being sarcastic or trying to be insulting..>I really believe most in this thread just dont understand because they have never seen it on any reg basis or lived it....theres lots of blacks that wont live in an all black neighborhood and they dont hate their own.

These blacks you speak of are cops raised in harlem..bronx and bed sty ...they dont falsely associate anything theyve lived it their entire lives unlike most posting in this thread.
There are some black neighborhoods where a white guy wouldnt leave his house and wouldnt be safe in it.....now you can try to make a fact into a racist statement if you want too but thats on you.....My thing is this...I dont want to live in an all black neighborhood and Im not a racist...and to insinuate someone is a racist who prefers NOT to live in a specific neighborhood is just plain wrong...and Id bet a donut there isnt any whitefolk in this thread actively seeking out an abode in all black neighborhood...talk is cheap...living it is a whole different ballgame....Im not being sarcastic or trying to be insulting..>I really believe most in this thread just dont understand because they have never seen it on any reg basis or lived it....theres lots of blacks that wont live in an all black neighborhood and they dont hate their own.

But the question wasn't "would you live in an all black neighborhood", it was "would you live in a predominantly <black> neighborhood". There is a difference between the two.

Plus, there is no mention as to what the economic makeup of that neighborhood is, nor the crime rate or gang activity in that neighborhood.

The only thing we know about the neighborhood is that most of the residents (>50%) are black. Okay? So? If all the important characteristics of the neighborhood that I already mentioned are important to me are met, then I doubt I would even know that the area has such a population distribution. Even if someone informed me of this fact, I would likely ask about the neighborhood atmosphere, but besides a consideration of that extra consideration (the answer being the most important part), it wouldn't be an issue in and of itself.

1.) There are some black neighborhoods where a white guy wouldnt leave his house and wouldnt be safe in it.....

2.)now you can try to make a fact into a racist statement if you want too but thats on you

3.).....My thing is this...I dont want to live in an all black neighborhood and Im not a racist...and to insinuate someone is a racist who prefers NOT to live in a specific neighborhood is just plain wrong...and Id bet a donut there isnt any whitefolk in this thread actively seeking out an abode in all black neighborhood...talk is cheap...living it is a whole different ballgame....Im not being sarcastic or trying to be insulting..>I really believe most in this thread just dont understand because they have never seen it on any reg basis or lived it....theres lots of blacks that wont live in an all black neighborhood and they dont hate their own.

1.) again you are still missing it, the neighborhood you are talking about is a ****ty unsafe neighborhood that just happens to have mainly blacks in it, there are other neighborhoods just the same with mainly other races in it. Thats why associating it with blacks is silly. You are talking about UNSAFE neighborhoods not black ones.

2.) I did NOTHING of the sort in fact I said the exact OPPOSITE and stated that this

I do agree with you though, I wouldnt go as far as it means "one is definitely racist" you can NOT draw that absolute from the decision unless you ask MORE questions and try to understand why.

3.) this rant has nothing to do with me or my post. For me to know if you are a racist or made your decesion for eracist reasons Id have to ask you more questions as to why. Has I already stated it can NOT be made an absolute without knowing more info and simply choosing not to live in a black community alone. Id have to know why.

Lastly whats not being understood is on your end, not the people in this thread. The people in this thread dont want to live in BAD neighborhoods. If they are black so be it but black had nothing to do with there decision its because its a bad neighborhood.

I mean unless you are suggesting that all black neighborhoods are bad? Is that what you are doing?

there are certainly white neighborhoods where a black person wouldnt be safe LOL

the bottom line is, if race is your sole deciding factor you probably have some issues BUT that can NOT be determined without knowing more

Also to be clear lpast I am not calling YOU racist.

I think people throw that word around to often and its sad. As a matter of fact doing a racist thing doesnt even make one a racist.

But the question wasn't "would you live in an all black neighborhood", it was "would you live in a predominantly <black> neighborhood". There is a difference between the two.

Plus, there is no mention as to what the economic makeup of that neighborhood is, nor the crime rate or gang activity in that neighborhood.

The only thing we know about the neighborhood is that most of the residents (>50%) are black. Okay? So? If all the important characteristics of the neighborhood that I already mentioned are important to me are met, then I doubt I would even know that the area has such a population distribution. Even if someone informed me of this fact, I would likely ask about the neighborhood atmosphere, but besides a consideration of that extra consideration (the answer being the most important part), it wouldn't be an issue in and of itself.

Ok well I took predominantly to mean a whole lot more than 50% thats not a predominant number....I wouldnt actively seek residence in a predominantly black neighborhood...if I wound up living in one for whatever reason Id deal with it..even though it wouldnt be my preference...lets be honest here ok...black neighborhoods are black or predominantly black because whites arent running around the neighborhood looking for vacancies.
I am not a racist...and people that prefer to be with their own isnt racist in itself either...there are many blacks that dont want to live around whites either...we have to stop labeling people racist because they dont do or wont do or dont want to do everything as we and an individual think it should be....thats just as wrong as being a racist...and it makes matters worse imho.

STOP DOING THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT Meathead wants you to do!

Eminem wrote his little song/movie about 8 Mile Rd, well that was the high-rent district compared with where I lived. Everyone had iron screen doors and iron bars on their windows - if they were smart. It was a tough area and didn't suffer fools gladly. Everyone looked over their shoulders. Only the strong survived. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Rofl? I wanted it? Um - no the OP asked whether you'd move to a neighbourhood simply based on the racial demographics. Maybe if you didn't spend your time figuring out ways to say black people are brainwashed, you'd see past the painfully visible intent behind this abomination of a thread. Then again, most white conservative women are brainwashed into believing immigrants move into poor neighbourhoods because of the nightlife so I'm not really shocked at your response.

Maybe you should consider that you might be one of those, Hat. If this thread is such an abomination, why are you in it?

How far back were you going, bright eyes?

If you are talking about RECENT immigrants, they will tend to live in to the areas where they can afford to stay and where they feel most comfortable.....hence, already established ethic areas that were established by previous ethnic groups...that did so because of segregation, that was official or informal.

I can agree with this. But that doesn't mean that segregation is alive and well in the US. It's not.

Laughable at best.

Yes, in this thread, you are. There's nothing wrong with the OP. Just in your own mind. You're the only poster taking it there. Hmmmm....

I'm sorry, but again I don't have an answer that applies in the list. I'm white. I have friends of many races. Race doesn't matter to me, culture does. I'd live in some black neighborhoods but not others, exactly the same for white neighborhoods.

Ok well I took predominantly to mean a whole lot more than 50% thats not a predominant number....I wouldnt actively seek residence in a predominantly black neighborhood...if I wound up living in one for whatever reason Id deal with it..even though it wouldnt be my preference...lets be honest here ok...black neighborhoods are black or predominantly black because whites arent running around the neighborhood looking for vacancies.
I am not a racist...and people that prefer to be with their own isnt racist in itself either...there are many blacks that dont want to live around whites either...we have to stop labeling people racist because they dont do or wont do or dont want to do everything as we and an individual think it should be....thats just as wrong as being a racist...and it makes matters worse imho.

I'm not saying anyone is racist, nor would I think that about anyone who says "no, I wouldn't be happy living in such a neighborhood". I actually can understand the sentiment of wanting to be around people like you, even in skin color.

For me personally, I could care less because I am not one to interact a whole lot with my neighbors by choice. I am fairly introverted. There have only been a few neighbors since I reached adulthood that I have even known their names or talked to more than just to say hi, and even those would really only be counted as "acquaintances". I am really nice and polite to people, but I don't normally initiate relationships.

I can't see many feeling that the most important aspect or one of the most important aspects of where they live being what the racial/ethnic makeup of the area is. There are likely some, particularly if we are talking immigrants, but I don't see this in the same light as how the OP's question is being asked. Even most of those who would look for a specific racial/ethnic makeup of an area now are not really looking for it due to insecurities about a certain race/ethnicity (some might), but rather a feeling of security and familiarity with those who are of their same race/ethnicity.

I truly feel though that this is one of the least important things on the list for what people look for in a neighborhood that they are looking to live in.

And considering that the population of the US is only about 13-15% black, a neighborhood that is greater than 50% black could easily be viewed as being "predominantly black".

I'm not saying anyone is racist, nor would I think that about anyone who says "no, I wouldn't be happy living in such a neighborhood". I actually can understand the sentiment of wanting to be around people like you, even in skin color.

For me personally, I could care less because I am not one to interact a whole lot with my neighbors by choice. I am fairly introverted. There have only been a few neighbors since I reached adulthood that I have even known their names or talked to more than just to say hi, and even those would really only be counted as "acquaintances". I am really nice and polite to people, but I don't normally initiate relationships.

I can't see many feeling that the most important aspect or one of the most important aspects of where they live being what the racial/ethnic makeup of the area is. There are likely some, particularly if we are talking immigrants, but I don't see this in the same light as how the OP's question is being asked. Even most of those who would look for a specific racial/ethnic makeup of an area now are not really looking for it due to insecurities about a certain race/ethnicity (some might), but rather a feeling of security and familiarity with those who are of their same race/ethnicity.

I truly feel though that this is one of the least important things on the list for what people look for in a neighborhood that they are looking to live in.

And considering that the population of the US is only about 13-15% black, a neighborhood that is greater than 50% black could easily be viewed as being "predominantly black".

I gotcha rogue and I dont really disagree with you..

I can agree with this. But that doesn't mean that segregation is alive and well in the US. It's not
Official? No, not officially, that was made illegal at the fed and state levels. But don't kid yourself into thinking that informal segregation, an extension of discrimination, has disappeared from US culture just because it is not legal to do so any longer.

Minorities do group together for protection and a sense of security, don't shut yourself out from finding out why.

Meathead-
What I am getting at is you seem rather clueless about this country. It is as if you never set foot in this country, though you claim to have lived here.

I can tell you this, black folk are not so different than white folk. Well to do blacks are a lot like well to do whites and poor blacks are a lot like poor whites.

It is as if you want Americans to say they use sight to determine who they would like to be their neighbors.

I wouldn't want to live in a 90% black slum anymore than a 90% white welfare trailer park.

It just seems like a weird question.

Back
Top Bottom