• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World of Warcraft maker to end anonymous forum logins

What I'm saying is that you're right if you can prove they used information form your WoW account and not your DDO account.

It's like suing someone to un-rape you.

Network security is my job. You have presented no problem that can't be overcome with one or two traces, a view of log files, and a comparison to what information was shared. It happens every day; in fact there's a whole discipline of law dedicated just to those boundaries and procedures.

Let us know in 12 years how that class action lawsuit turns out.

Don't need to.
I'd complain to UK's commission, it would be them doing the fighting. Kthxbye.

Last edited:
I'm not.
If within minutes of a Blue posting his name. His address, childrens school address, wifes details, photos of him and his house hit the forums.
Imagine if someone is pissed off with you on the forums or BG Chat.

I don't want weirdos getting my information, I control who I choose to tell and I don't want Blizzard taking that choice away from me.

I'm not sure why that would bother me. I post pictures of myself, my friends, my family and my townhouse online. So what if they had my address? What are they gonna do, send me pizzas? :lol:

I've had people show me a satellite photo of the house I was living in with my fiance when all I did was post a picture of myself rafting on the river. That's ALL he had to go on. (the raft had the rafting company name on it) I found it somewhat weird that he bothered to do that, but I wasn't concerned about it. I've had online stalkers too, super pissed off at me. They didn't scare me either. Annoying, yes. Scary? Pfffttt.

I'm MUCH more likely to be attacked or whatever by someone that I walk by every day on my way home right here in the town I live in .

As a note, I'm not worried about adept computer hackers or even script kiddies. Yes, these type of people could possibly do something regardless.

What I'm annoyed by is raising the pool of people having a likely ability to get private information about me or others from a kiddie pool to an olympic sized swimming pool.

Even tracing IP addresses needs a little bit of internet know how to think of it let alone sort out how to do it.

A drunk monkey could go to google, copy and paste a name, and hit search.

As a note, I'm not worried about adept computer hackers or even script kiddies. Yes, these type of people could possibly do something regardless.

What I'm annoyed by is raising the pool of people having a likely ability to get private information about me or others from a kiddie pool to an olympic sized swimming pool.

Even tracing IP addresses needs a little bit of internet know how to think of it let alone sort out how to do it.

A drunk monkey could go to google, copy and paste a name, and hit search.

Still not going to play me in Jedi Knight Dark Forces II on the Zone.

Smart man

:D

I'm not sure why that would bother me. I post pictures of myself, my friends, my family and my townhouse online. So what if they had my address? What are they gonna do, send me pizzas? :lol:

I've had people show me a satellite photo of the house I was living in with my fiance when all I did was post a picture of myself rafting on the river. That's ALL he had to go on. (the raft had the rafting company name on it) I found it somewhat weird that he bothered to do that, but I wasn't concerned about it. I've had online stalkers too, super pissed off at me. They didn't scare me either. Annoying, yes. Scary? Pfffttt.

I'm MUCH more likely to be attacked or whatever by someone that I walk by every day on my way home right here in the town I live in .

A critical part which Laila overlooks is that all of that information was already online. Folks simply gather up what was already available and presented it.

If I gave out my name and address and someone spit back a picture my oldest and I at an airshow, why would be alarmed? I posted that online myself.

Maybe people just don't realize what they already put out there.

Last edited:
Diablo1, 2 and 3 are joint Blizz/WotC projects, for example.

What? This is literally the first time I've EVER heard this. Link?

I've heard of WOTC buying the rights to have books produced or do games associated with it, etc. But to my understanding that is a liscensing thing for specific games not any kind of dedicated ownership or direct working relationship. However this would be like saying the company that was previously producing hte WOW trading card game somehow then has a claim that "WOW" is a joint venture for them because they liscensed it out to make a game that references it.

Last edited:
A critical part which Laila overlooks is that all of that was already online. Folks simply gather up what was already available and presented it.

Well there's that too.

Funny thing... I just googled myself and even though I'm on Facebook with my privacy permissions pretty lax, and my Facebook URL is my full name, I STILL didn't show up in a Google search except for on LinkedIn and Aglie Alliance. LOL

Still not going to play me in Jedi Knight Dark Forces II on the Zone.

Smart man

:D

Is that the one with Kyle Katarn or a different one. Sadly actually I've no gotten into many of the various Star Wars games.

A critical part which Laila overlooks is that all of that was already online. Folks simply gather up what was already available and presented it.

If I had a facebook account, I could simply delete it. Same for other such websites but what WOW is doing is telling me I have to be willing to give out my name to millions to use a service I already pay for.
When I phone up WOW for a problem over my account. Where am I referred to? Forum
When there is a issue ingame with a item. I am told to go to the forum
Glitches? Forum
Feedback? Forum
Information on patches? Forum.

Optional my ass.

Last edited:

Correct, however they're only accessible by people knowing my name to search for it. However if you search for "Zyphlin" which is my forum name in a number of places or "Sulyago" my wow character's name and thus the one I use the few times I've posted on the forum you don't find my name. Without my name they don't find my facebook, etc. I'm sure I'm not the minority in regards to that.

Comparing it to going "Hey, all that stuff is ON the net already" is worthless because the disconnect you're having is that there's a break between them knowing how to access said information between [user name] --> [what you search for] --> [personal information]

Having my user name and just searching that doesn't give my personal information to you. Having my REAL name and searching for that does however.

So if some guy is pissed off because he's been waiting for Heroic DBW to drop for 3 months and it finally did and he rolled a 99 and I rolled a 100 and he goes into insane nerdrage, currently even if I wasn't very net savy and didn't know to change my facebook security settings because they just changed the default of it a week back or something he still wouldn't be able to find me without some rather above average skills because he'd have to search for "Sulyago" and that's not going to come up with any private information. However if instead he can find Sulyago's "realID", see my real name, and search for that...all something anyone that could just google could easily and simply do...and I wasn't that net savy he could find my phone number perhaps through a white pages, or my facebook account, or something of the sorts and vent his frustration out on me in real life.

The fact that real life information is on the net is not necessarily the issue, though it can be an issue. The issue is making it far to simple for people who interact with you in a game built in part off of competition to simply and easily have the potential to find personal information about you of which they can use to harass you out of the game's environment.

Is that the one with Kyle Katarn or a different one. Sadly actually I've no gotten into many of the various Star Wars games.

Nope thats it.

The force is stong with this one.

See something like this would be horrible for people like me. I have a fairly unique first name and if you pair it with my last name I'm quite literally the only person that shows up on Facebook. I could be tracked down in a matter of seconds by anyone who wanted to. Even if I put my Security Settings at Max on Facebook (which I already have put them higher then normal) there are ways to get around it and ways to find me. So I'm very very much against this idea. Luckily I haven't played WoW or any other Blizzard game in like 5 years. WoW got boring once I hit 60 so I just stopped. Waste of time.

Well good for you - you had people stalk you and it didn't scare you, you didn't feel they posed a threat to you or your family.

But others, like me, absolutely have reason to be worried, paranoid and afraid.
My ex husband, who was abusive and I had a restraining order against, had his wife find me online. He found out where I lived, my phone number . .. and they both used that to harass me.

I had and still do have every reason to fear him and believe he would, at the drop of a hat, drive up my way and try to kill me.
He tried it before and there's no reason he won't do it again - more so now that I'm still fighting the state over child support arrears that they're still garnishing.
And not just my safety - but the kids. Do you think he remotely loves these children? I surely don't - and I feel that he wouldn't turn down a chance to kidnap them to get back at me.

Revealing names and everything else online is ****ing stupid.
If someone does it and nothing bad happens - great, good for them
But others of us weren't so damn luck . . . and I wasn't a blabber mouth, either. . .all she used to find me was my hobby and my first name - but she found me alright.

Last edited:
Apparently. Granted its been a while since I've seen a Diablo or Diablo II box....

D2 expansion back:

370600_88946_back.jpg

And the front

diablo-2-lord-of-destruction.jpg

D2 Front:

d2-box-italian.jpg

All I can get to at work so far but not seeing any WOTC stuff. From searching all I can find is WOTC liscensing the rights to create Diablo RPG's off their systems, do crossover books, etc.

Well good for you - you had people stalk you and it didn't scare you, you didn't feel they posed a threat to you or your family.

But others, like me, absolutely have reason to be worried, paranoid and afraid.
My ex husband, who was abusive and I had a restraining order against, had his wife find me online. He found out where I lived, my phone number . .. and they both used that to harass me.

I had and still do have every reason to fear him and believe he would, at the drop of a hat, drive up my way and try to kill me.
He tried it before and there's no reason he won't do it again - more so now that I'm still fighting the state over child support arrears that they're still garnishing.
And not just my safety - but the kids. Do you think he remotely loves these children? I surely don't - and I feel that he wouldn't turn down a chance to kidnap them to get back at me.

Revealing names and everything else online is ****ing stupid.
If someone does it and nothing bad happens - great, good for them
But others of us weren't so damn luck . . . and I wasn't a blabber mouth, either. . .all she used to find me was my hobby and my first name - but she found me alright.

And situations like yours are the extreme minority. Hence my wonder at why people are so bothered by other people knowing their names, for crying out loud. Besides, in your case, your ex already knows your name. Hardly an issue. If he wants to find you, he can. You don't need to post your name online for your ex to find you.

And situations like yours are the extreme minority. Hence my wonder at why people are so bothered by other people knowing their names, for crying out loud. Besides, in your case, your ex already knows your name. Hardly an issue. If he wants to find you, he can. You don't need to post your name online for your ex to find you.

:shrug:

So - if I, for my personal and real reasons, don't feel that a company or game should have the right ot reveal my name (even if it's out of line and just psycho over the top paranoia) - don't I still have the right for that peace of mind?

:shrug:

So - if I, for my personal and real reasons, don't feel that a company or game should have the right ot reveal my name (even if it's out of line and just psycho over the top paranoia) - don't I still have the right for that peace of mind?

Who's saying you don't? Don't play the game. Problem solved. I'm just saying I don't get it. /shrug

People quitting the game en masse over something they would tell just about any stranger who asked them. Just seems... odd. I mean, what's the first damn thing you do when you meet someone? You exchange names. People are acting like this is some sort of new or weird behavior all of a sudden and it's like OMG scary. It's not new or weird behavior. It's old and normal behavior.

Here's the funny thing...people can give a damn BECAUSE of other people.

I don't really care. I can avoid using the forums as I rarely if ever use it and I am a decent enough searcher on the web to find answers usually if I have a troubleshooting issue. If it gets into the game its going to be annoying but again, its not a huge thing with regards to me PERSONALLY. I rarely PVP, I don't put together random PUGs much or jump into many, I don't really care to much about gear and have passed things i've won to someone that's badly wanted it, so my likelihood of pissing someone off isn't high. I'm not a minority, I'm not a female, I'm not extremely young, my friends and fiance know I've got my geek tendancy, so I don't have a ton to worry about there. I'd rather it not be available for anyone googling me, and it annoys me, but for just an issue of me, myself, its not a huge deal.

It bothers me greatly however because I can DEFINITELY see females getting harassed about this. I played on what was essentially a mini-MMO (a Neverwinter Nights Persistant world), that had a community that was incredibly friendly and close knit and due to that private information was more likely to flow. I knew of RL girls that played that had issues of harassment or worse from some of the various male players. in a game of millions I don't doubt this to happen on a much larger scale. There were already copies of posts by guys saying how they disliked the change but hey, on the bright side, he may be able to get the real name of the chick in his guild with the cute voice that he kind of has a crush on but doesn't really know how to talk to about real stuff and maybe see about "bumping" into her sometime or "stumbling" upon her somewhere else online.

I feel for parents who are having to have yet another thing to worry about in regards to their kids. I feel for people who DO care about keeping their hobby somewhat private due to whatever personal reasons they have. I do care about people who are in more professional fields that potentially have potential employers who see their posts and get turned off for hiring htem. I do care about people who enjoy and like the roleplaying aspect of it and doesn't want to have someone searching their name and finding posts that look like a CRAZY person to anyone that doesn't understand what it is. And it goes on and on.

Its possible to be outraged at this on principle, and in regards to what it may do for others, even if it may not be something you're worried greatly about for yourself.

LOL

Blizzard updated their privacy policy:

As with any business, your personal information is also an asset of Blizzard and will become part of our normal business records. As such, we may also disclose your personal information to a third party if we decide to sell a line of business to that third party, so you can continue to receive service and information in connection with that line of business with as little disruption as possible. Similarly, in the event of a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, or other similar event, your personal information may be transferred to Blizzard 's successor or assign.

Did I not say this was about facebook and selling of information?
I am so not agreeing to these conditions.

Who's saying you don't? Don't play the game. Problem solved. I'm just saying I don't get it. /shrug

People quitting the game en masse over something they would tell just about any stranger who asked them. Just seems... odd. I mean, what's the first damn thing you do when you meet someone? You exchange names. People are acting like this is some sort of new or weird behavior all of a sudden and it's like OMG scary. It's not new or weird behavior. It's old and normal behavior.

I probably am not going to introduce myself by my full name to just any random stranger I meet on the street.

What I'm definitely not going to do is give my full name to a stranger who just got mad because I just bought the last Wii on Christmas and he's screaming and cursing at me. What I'm definitely not going to do if I was a woman was give my name to the creepy guy in the corner that's been following me around leering at me. If I get roped into playing a LARP I'm not going to go up to random strangers on the street who are laughing at the people playing and shouting things at them and tell them my full name. If I got into a bar fight I'm not going to make sure right after to tell the guy my full name. If I hail a cab with a group of strangers and we don't have the space for the last guy that seems to be losing his mind that he's going to miss out on it I'm not going to give him my name.

People throwing out these poor attempts at analogies like "Your facebook is on the net anyways" or "you tell strangers your name" are either seemingly not seeing the issue people are staying or are purposefully just misrepresenting it. I'd have little issue at all with a random person that I have never had any interaction with in any way randomly knowing my name. But that's not what the potential issue is here.

Apparently. Granted its been a while since I've seen a Diablo or Diablo II box.....

Hmm my bad. Could have sworn the logo was on the package. Maybe I'm thinking of the trailor or game into.

In the run-up to the release of Diablo II, a partnership between Blizzard and Wizards of the Coast was begun. This partnership yielded a number of D&D products based off the Diablo universe, most of which are simply pen-and-paper translations of the Diablo computer games.

Diablo D&D - Diablo 3 Wiki

Diablo II Magin Item Generator

D&D Miniatures - Diablo II Miniatures

Dungeons & Dragons - Diablo II

Back
Top Bottom