• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do conservatives want to make it harder to vote?

So you realize the hypocritical views that you are spouting don't you?

No government intrusion in peoples life's unless its something I want to dictate to others.
I do not believe you understand how our governments were established. We have a federation of states. The states agreed to create a very limited federal government. Nearly everything the government funds today is tyrannical because the programs have no logical basis in delegated powers (found in article 1 section 8).

The states and the people have unlimited rights. So if you want to make it law that rape victims must bear their criminal's children then the place to try that is locally. Not federally.

There is nothing hypocritical with recognizing that shopping for a sympathetic judge to make it a national law will be tyrannical. But convincing people within a town, a county or a state, is not.

The voter fraud that there is no evidence actually exists anywhere in anything other than a trace amount?
Voter fraud is seldom looked for. This will assure us that your numbers will be accurate in the future.

Please provide a link or quote where the
constitution says corporations are people with the same rights as individual?

Is there a Consititutional reference that gives Unions the same rights as the individual ?

Its hypocritical to suggest that there is a distintion between Corporations and Unions that allows Unions to take advantage of this status and not corporations.

Unions have been influencing elections for decades. Influencing Policy too.

It would seem your positions isn't based on anything other than what benefits your political and ideological beliefs.

Is there a Consititutional reference that gives Unions the same rights as the individual ?

Its hypocritical to suggest that there is a distintion between Corporations and Unions that allows Unions to take advantage of this status and not corporations.

Unions have been influencing elections for decades. Influencing Policy too.

It would seem your positions isn't based on anything other than what benefits your political and ideological beliefs.
You didn't answer the question. Deflecting is not a substitute for a valid argument. Again, provide the link or quote in the constitution that you say exists that says corporations are to be treated the same as human beings.

I do not believe you understand how our governments were established..
Thats not hilarious in of itself but we just have to wait to the next paragraph.....
The states and the people have unlimited rights..
I'll give you a minute to think about your position....................... Do I really need to list all the ways the Federal government limits the rights of states? People?

I don't think being a history teacher is going to be a good career path for ya.

Please provide a link or quote where the constitution says corporations are people with the same rights as individual?
It doesn't explicitly say it, but......

"...As a matter of interpretation of the word "person" in the Fourteenth Amendment, U.S. courts have extended certain constitutional protections to corporations. Opponents of corporate personhood seek to amend the U.S. Constitution to limit these rights to those provided by state law and state constitutions.[3][4]

The basis for allowing corporations to assert protection under the U.S. Constitution is that they are organizations of people, and the people should not be deprived of their constitutional rights when they act collectively.[5] In this view, treating corporations as "persons" is a convenient legal fiction which allows corporations to sue and to be sued, provides a single entity for easier taxation and regulation, simplifies complex transactions which would otherwise involve, in the case of large corporations, thousands of people, and protects the individual rights of the shareholders as well as the right of association....read..."
Corporate personhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What could be the conservative motivation for making it harder to vote......

Fear. Fear of losing power and control. Fear of becoming a minority. Fear of the "other." Fear of change.

So a better response can be made, might you share where you gleaned the information from which you arrived at your viewpoint?

Thank you

Thom Paine

Can you back that claim up? I can't for the life of me see how that can be the case.

I must tell you guys that James has gone on record with the following positions:

1. He don't give a flying f--- about links. He's not going to give you one. Ever.
2. If you really want to know where he gets his information, just go on the internet and find the stuff yourself. He's not interested in helping you.
3. What he says is what he believes. Facts don't matter.

So, guys, you are wasting your time asking him for any kind of information to back up the stuff he says. He doesn't have any, he doesn't want any and he doesn't care if you want it.

I must tell you guys that James has gone on record with the following positions:

1. He don't give a flying f--- about links. He's not going to give you one. Ever.
2. If you really want to know where he gets his information, just go on the internet and find the stuff yourself. He's not interested in helping you.
3. What he says is what he believes. Facts don't matter.

So, guys, you are wasting your time asking him for any kind of information to back up the stuff he says. He doesn't have any, he doesn't want any and he doesn't care if you want it.

Thanks for the tip. I ask questions to discern "mad dog rants" from ""mad dog rants with a factual basis". Baseless rhetoric ends the discussion rather quickly from my side.

:mrgreen:

Make it a great day

Thom Paine

It doesn't explicitly say it, but......
The constitution doesn't say a word, doesn't mention, hint or insensate that corporations are people with the same rights as individual human beings. The RWNJ's like to talk about activist judges, welllll that ruling was as "activist" as they come. Changed our politics for the worse. Looks, smells and tastes like more hypocrisy.

Your statement that the constitution says corporations are people was pure crap. Something you made up in your head to justify a position. A position of equivalency for corporations. What the heck dude?

The constitution doesn't say a word, doesn't mention, hint or insensate that corporations are people with the same rights as individual human beings. The RWNJ's like to talk about activist judges, welllll that ruling was as "activist" as they come. Changed our politics for the worse. Looks, smells and tastes like more hypocrisy.

Your statement that the constitution says corporations are people was pure crap. Something you made up in your head to justify a position. A position of equivalency for corporations. What the heck dude?

I provided a link and a quote but obviously you didn't read it.

Corporations are composed of people and the first amendment gives people the right to assemble. So basically a corporation is an assembly of people. A provision in the Fourteenth Amendment forbids a State to deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. So the fourteenth amendment protects corporations from discrimination.

Corporations have enjoyed constitutional protection since 1819. So how has corporate personhood changed politics for the worse?

Are you familiar with the 9th and 10th Amendments?

Thats not hilarious in of itself but we just have to wait to the next paragraph.....
I'll give you a minute to think about your position....................... Do I really need to list all the ways the Federal government limits the rights of states? People?

I don't think being a history teacher is going to be a good career path for ya.
Are you familiar with the 9th and 10th Amendments?

The federal government has turned into an evil monster, a leviathan.

As it was crafted and ratified the Federal government established by the Constitution was to be very limited and constrained. While the people and the states retained all other rights not delegated or denied. You do not know this do you?

Last edited:
Fear. Fear of losing power and control. Fear of becoming a minority. Fear of the "other." Fear of change.
It is not a matter of making it harder to vote. It does make it harder to vote illegally. One side has a reputation for encouraging illegal voting. You can admit that as soon as you read that you immediately thought of Democrats. Everyone does.

Why wouldn't you want the vote to be assured?

Why can't people just show their ID when they vote?

It is not a matter of making it harder to vote. It does make it harder to vote illegally. One side has a reputation for encouraging illegal voting. You can admit that as soon as you read that you immediately thought of Democrats. Everyone does.

Why wouldn't you want the vote to be assured?

The voter ID laws only address voting in person and not absentee voting and yet that's where most of the "real" voter fraud is. That's significant when you consider that Republicans over whelmingly vote by absentee ballot and they made the voter ID laws. Why wouldn't they want to stop the absentee voting fraud?

i have no problem with it.

i have a problem when proposals are made to limit peoples access to get I.DS and limit voting hours and eliminate early voting

So, I guess it was a real problem for you to get your driver's license renewed? An almost impossibility to get those tags replaced on the vehicle license?

Why is it that liberals are against showing I.D. to vote, but never seem to have an issue having to show it anywhere else?

What could be the conservative motivation for making it harder to vote. They want to get rid of Sunday voting. They want to limit absentee voting. They want to close voting at 5 PM. They act like voter fraud is everywhere when it is not to justify voter ID laws. So why would conservatives do this. Could it be they win when voter turnout is low and they know it. It is not a law and order issue at all but plain voter suppression. They would not be so low down now would they? Of course the would. At the drop of the hat because they know they are on the wrong side of many issues and are too stubborn to change.
I think the vote riggers should come up with a strategy that's more honest and straightforward: take a cue from the carnies who operate the amusement park rides...the sign with the line says:"you must be this high to ride." So, instead of increasingly convoluted ID rules, just post a sign with a color bar that says:"your skin must be this light to vote."

I provided a link and a quote but obviously you didn't read it.

Corporations are composed of people and the first amendment gives people the right to assemble. So basically a corporation is an assembly of people. A provision in the Fourteenth Amendment forbids a State to deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. So the fourteenth amendment protects corporations from discrimination.

Corporations have enjoyed constitutional protection since 1819. So how has corporate personhood changed politics for the worse?
I just arrived, and I don't have your link...but here's my link: Reclaim Democracy's page on the hidden history of corporate rights in the United States...seems they didn't start getting those rights of personhood until 100 years after independence...and just because a corporation is created by people, that does not make the corporation a person! This is just a contrivance by politicians of a bygone era acting on behalf of rich, powerful clients....same old, same old!

Corporate charters (licenses to exist) were granted for a limited time and could be revoked promptly for violating laws.
Corporations could engage only in activities necessary to fulfill their chartered purpose.
Corporations could not own stock in other corporations nor own any property that was not essential to fulfilling their chartered purpose.
Corporations were often terminated if they exceeded their authority or caused public harm.
Owners and managers were responsible for criminal acts committed on the job.
Corporations could not make any political or charitable contributions nor spend money to influence law-making.
Our Hidden History of Corporations in the United States

So, I guess it was a real problem for you to get your driver's license renewed? An almost impossibility to get those tags replaced on the vehicle license?

Why is it that liberals are against showing I.D. to vote, but never seem to have an issue having to show it anywhere else?

i am still in the middle of earning my license.

It's a false narrative people are buying into. Then again, I live in a land that doesn't need to do almost anything the rest of you folks do to vote, and we're just fine. We still scoff at the concept of voter registration (we're the only state in the Union without it). Sure, we generally show our IDs, but we do not charge 30-50 bucks (more like $6), we don't have crazy lines or close down DMVs, and we have relatively lenient means of providing identification. All quiet on the Northern front.

Last edited:
I just arrived, and I don't have your link...but here's my link: Reclaim Democracy's page on the hidden history of corporate rights in the United States...seems they didn't start getting those rights of personhood until 100 years after independence...and just because a corporation is created by people, that does not make the corporation a person! This is just a contrivance by politicians of a bygone era acting on behalf of rich, powerful clients....same old, same old!

Our Hidden History of Corporations in the United States

You don't need to convince me about the evils of corporate personhood.......you (we) need to convince the Supreme Court and congress.

You don't need to convince me about the evils of corporate personhood.......you (we) need to convince the Supreme Court and congress.
I was just watching a video clip of a protester being hauled away from a public hearing at the Supreme Court for calling for a repeal of Citizen's United....so, I doubt they'll be listening.

I was just watching a video clip of a protester being hauled away from a public hearing at the Supreme Court for calling for a repeal of Citizen's United....so, I doubt they'll be listening.

They seldom do.

Back
Top Bottom