• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where did you go to school (K-12)?

Where did you go to school?

• Public School

• Private School

• Homeschool

• Charter School

• Magnet School

• Online School

Results are only viewable after voting.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Just curious what everyone's schooling was like during your childhood. Please vote and discuss any memories from your school years. (Multiple choice for those of you who had a few different experiences.)

Just curious what everyone's schooling was like during your childhood. Please vote and discuss any memories from your school years. (Multiple choice for those of you who had a few different experiences.)

Public schools.

Was many decades ago so the only other actual option was the Catholic schools. (And we weren't Catholic.)

The rest of the picks on your list didn't exist back then. At least as far as i know.

Public Jewish school (regular school was full). My mother is antisemitic so I was wary but it turns out none of that shit is true.

My high school was fantastic and I donate to their sports program every year.

Kindergarten to the 8th grade in public schools.

Private military school (9th - 12th grade) starting in the year 1951.

It was either a public school, a prison, or an asylum for the criminally insane. Never did quite decide which, so I just called it:

1704661990667.png

Kindergarten to the 8th grade in public schools.

Private military school (9th - 12th grade) starting in the year 1951.
Parents didn’t send model children to military schools in the 50s and 60s.

K-12 Public school. My high school was a minor league sports franchise because sports were always treated as more important than academics. Winning state championship was not unusual, but trying to get AP classes added required an act of god.

K-12 public, then the University of Houston, then St. Thomas in Houston.

All of that was before "no child left behind", aka 'no teacher left standing'. My gripe is that standardized testing is leading school boards to put kids in a race to grow up. But growing up is not a race.

We would do just as well to go shout at the rose bush because it's not blooming when we want it to.

There is no value in teaching by testing. Teaching means you give clues, testing means they should already know. But constant practice testing steals time from real teaching. And then the school board wonders why the constant practice testing is not getting results.

Education now is full of lost secrets. My motto now comes from the movie Seabiscuit. The trainer says"You don't throw something away just because it's old". There was a revolution in the application of child psychology in the 90's, and it's unknown among educators in our time. Jim Trelease wrote the The Read Aloud Handbook, Howard Gardner wrote Frames of Mind in the 70s, Montessori understood children way back , and the concept of a learner-centered classroom is long gone. Kids do worksheets all day. Without hands-on manipulation and experiences they can't remember much because it never meant anything to them. I don't think I've ever seen a kid who learned much by filling in blanks on worksheets.

I think we burned down the library at Alexandria, the methods and advances of the past have been eclipsed by a lust for 'winning' with standardized test scores.

So now I'll vote, please excuse the rant, thanks for the thread.

Parochial (Catholic) schools, 1-12

Catholic college for undergrad

Public university for additional/grad

Ditto for spouse, as it turns out.

However, we sent our kids to public schools, K-12. Wouldn't have it any other way.

K-12 public, then the University of Houston, then St. Thomas in Houston.

All of that was before "no child left behind", aka 'no teacher left standing'. My gripe is that standardized testing is leading school boards to put kids in a race to grow up. But growing up is not a race.

We would do just as well to go shout at the rose bush because it's not blooming when we want it to.

There is no value in teaching by testing. Teaching means you give clues, testing means they should already know. But constant practice testing steals time from real teaching. And then the school board wonders why the constant practice testing is not getting results.

Education now is full of lost secrets. My motto now comes from the movie Seabiscuit. The trainer says"You don't throw something away just because it's old". There was a revolution in the application of child psychology in the 90's, and it's unknown among educators in our time. Jim Trelease wrote the The Read Aloud Handbook, Howard Gardner wrote Frames of Mind in the 70s, Montessori understood children way back , and the concept of a learner-centered classroom is long gone. Kids do worksheets all day. Without hands-on manipulation and experiences they can't remember much because it never meant anything to them. I don't think I've ever seen a kid who learned much by filling in blanks on worksheets.

I think we burned down the library at Alexandria, the methods and advances of the past have been eclipsed by a lust for 'winning' with standardized test scores.

So now I'll vote, please excuse the rant, thanks for the thread.
When you're teaching for the next (standardized) test, you don't have much choice about how or what you teach.

I attended public schools in a small rural Northeast Pennsylvania school district. Very few options other than homeschooling, I don't think there was even a Catholic school nearby. I graduated in the 1980's and things have changed a bit since then.

Catholic grammar school

The nitwit nuns never taught science. I started reading science fiction in 4th grade. Decided that I was an agnostic in 7th grade.
In 8th grade a nun told me, "You will get into a good high school but you won't do well."
She was mad because I refused to be a patrol boy.

Catholic high school

Straight D's in religion my freshman year

National Merit Scholarship

2 Black boys paid me $100 each to take their SATs

But mostly I was made fun of for being in the "Top Class" 4 years straight.

Public school.

But I grew up in rural Northeast PA.

K-5 was a small rural school with the same 24ish kids every year (except in K we were divided into AM and PM)

6-12 was a more “regional” middle/high school but my entire graduating class was about 140 people.

I attended public schools in a small rural Northeast Pennsylvania school district. Very few options other than homeschooling, I don't think there was even a Catholic school nearby. I graduated in the 1980's and things have changed a bit since then.
Hello fellow NEPA’er! You’re a bit older than me - I graduated in 96.

Like 99.9% of the population of the UK I went to public school.

Private to 5th, public to 9th, 10th to Senior in private.

Small public school, K-12 in one building, about 400 students total.

Same school my parents and grandparents attended.

Public school K-8

First two years of high school was at a private/religious institution. I wanted to leave after one year but my parents convinced me to give it one more chance.

Finished out high school in the public system after I told my parents I would do everything in my power to get expelled if they sent me back to the private school. ;)

Public school.

K-5 was a small rural school with the same 24ish kids every year (except in K we were divided into AM and PM)

6-12 was a more “regional” middle/high school but my entire graduating class was about 140 people.

My graduating class was 125. It was the smallest class in almost 50 years. My sisters class 2 years before was the largest at almost 190.
I suddenly feel very old.

Other. Reform School, a place right out of Cool Hand Luke for kids. Before that public school. The place was closedown a few years later. It was a working farm with many acres of crops, chickens, sheep, dairy & beef cattle, pigs, Draught horses including the Superintendents daughters riding horse. The staff were various shades of sadists. My crime was “Habitual School Offender” meaning that I had skipped school 11 times & was on probation for stealing car ( Joyriding) I turned 13 3 months later. For all intents & purposes that was the end of my education. Long story that wouldn’t be served by shortening.

Public school.

About 100 in my graduating class.

No cliques.

Very homogenous class. 100% white and pretty much everybody was in a similar socio-economic class.

I live in North Carolina now, but I maintain a summer home just to the northwest of Scranton, about 45 minutes from my home town. And both it and the schools have changed very little, other than the elementary schools being consolidated some years back.

About 100 in my graduating class.

No cliques.

Very homogenous class. 100% white and pretty much everybody was in a similar socio-economic class.

I live in North Carolina now, but I maintain a summer home just to the northwest of Scranton, about 45 minutes from my home town. And both it and the schools have changed very little, other than the elementary schools being consolidated some years back.
I grew up near Frances Slocum State Park (maybe 10 miles away, if that). The area hasn’t changed much at all since I was a kid.

Very homogenous. Very rural.

At the end of my street was a dairy farm 😂

I attended a 1-12 private, non-sectarian school.

Back
Top Bottom