• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What was your major in university and why did you choose it?

idea_steed

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge).

I started out in Architecture but by my second semester I still couldn't draw a straight line freehand and knew I needed to make a change so I ended up in business with a personnel management minor.

People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge).

Undergrad I majored in Physics and Chemistry and minored in Math, Botany, and Political Science

I studied what I felt was interesting.

Journalism because I enjoy writing. Minored in Sociology.

I started out in Architecture but by my second semester I still couldn't draw a straight line freehand and knew I needed to make a change so I ended up in business with a personnel management minor.

Boy, can I ever commiserate there. My landscape architecture classes were a nightmare of smudge. I had half the class coming to me for plant advice and knew far more about the plant side of things than my professors, but all that counted was a pretty picture and not whether or not it would actually work.

This is many, many moons ago now. I wanted to program video games but also wanted to be an English teacher (back when English was an important language) :p
I majored in English mainly because in those days we were fear driven that if mathematics was not a strong discipline for you that you had no real hope in programming (since then I've come to see coding as much as a language as a formulaic approach). But it was the late 80s...so...I did try to second or "minor" in Computer Science but didn't get very far with it.

Basket Weaving

Engineering. Motivation was so that I could get a good job.

It worked.

Wanted to be a wildlife biologist. Didn't have the high school grades. So went to Forestry School. (BS with a masters in wildland fire management)

Did it because I like working outdoors. Spent my summers on fire crews. It was a time where I could make enough in the summer to pay for next years college.

I majored in Political Science because I wanted to be a journalist.

which one

first, second, or final one?

started out in journalism....had aspirations of being the next great reporter....

figured out that jobs were really hard to come by in that field, so i switched over to computer sciences....

wasnt my cup of tea as they say....did okay, not great

finished in accounting, with minors in business administration and management

Last edited:
Boy, can I ever commiserate there. My landscape architecture classes were a nightmare of smudge. I had half the class coming to me for plant advice and knew far more about the plant side of things than my professors, but all that counted was a pretty picture and not whether or not it would actually work.

Yeah. It really killed me that I had the concepts down pat but couldn't figure out how to get my brain to coordinate with my hands. Anything related to music gives me the same fits. I guess I just came up short one artistic gene[emoji3]

My original degree was in Marketing (the general business catch all of the day). When I lost my job in 2008 I went back and got another degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Yeah. It really killed me that I had the concepts down pat but couldn't figure out how to get my brain to coordinate with my hands. Anything related to music gives me the same fits. I guess I just came up short one artistic gene[emoji3]

Just think how much different it might have been if we were in classes today? Those computers manage a nice, neat straight line every time!

First time was geology, because that was what I was interested in, and the second time was computer science - again, because that was what I was interested in. In both cases, the prospect of making money was not high on the priority list.

Math, because I'm naturally good at it and that degree plan had the fewest English classes.

History, with a concentration in military and diplomatic history although I took a ****load of history courses in other fields as well. Mainly because I had a high school history teacher who was really passionate about it and really inspired me, and I think that the key to understanding current events is understanding their roots in the past.

Bachelors in BA (international relations). I wanted to go out and see the world and I did.

I am still in university but so far I have had three majors and I hope it stays that way.

First I was in Economics because I only had a 78% average in math instead of the 80% required for the business school. I did well in that year so I got into the accounting program which I originally wanted to be in then I saw what it would be like to be an accountant and all the exams I would have to take to become one. I then switched into Business Technology Management which is a combination of business and computer science with focus on databases and information systems. It also had the highest starting salary of all the majors and I love tech so I think this should work out.

Electrical Engineering, specializing in wireless and microwave engineering for aerospace applications. Currently working in a team designing the communications link for a satellite. I did it because I love to create things and wanted to finally be able to actually make the things I had in my head. The money and job security are also nice.

An applied science degree in fisheries science. Attended that college for the hands on experience. We had our own fish hatchery. Was planning on transferring to U of W Stevens Point but even working two jobs couldn't make it work and the university was slow in providing student aid.

Then majored in business at one one of the best business colleges in the nation. Found it God awful boring and I couldn't relate to any of my classmates. It was a practical major but I was miserable. Did get laid a lot though. From there went to another university to become an RN. Again a practical major and God awful boring AND depressing. Dropped out with one semester to go as I started my own business and found that more rewarding.

Ironically run two businesses now related to my first major. Also had some succes in writing and will pursue it further. My twin is a published writer and publisher.

Major was political science, minor was sociology.

Back
Top Bottom