• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What veggies did you hate as a kid and now like as an adult?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Me: Several, but broccoli & cauliflower top the list.

Green peas and beets. I still don't like either one of them. :lol:

Anything my Mom burnt that I have now tasted cooked properly. Excluding lima beans. Ick!

Okra, its so good when done just so.

I liked all veggies when I was a kid and still do, except peas and spinach, which I still hate. Everytime I see a pea I think of Tomato Aspic with floating peas in it and my stomach turns.

I especially loved raw veggies, including potatoes, turnip, carrots, cauliflower, etc. Whenever my mom was making a stew and cutting up the veggies, I'd always get a cornucopia of raw veggies and be happy for the rest of the day.

Takes very little to entertain me, as you can see.

broccoli and tomatoes are the first that come to mind, but i wasn't a big fan of any of them other than mashed potatoes. tastes started to change in my 20s, and now i eat so many vegetables that i have to go to the produce section about every two days.

they also didn't have those steamer bags when i was a kid, so we usually boiled them. steaming makes a big difference, but i doubt that would have made me like veggies much more at that age. kids are pretty much programmed to seek out the sweetest, most fattening foods. it's an evolutionary thing. a growing organism is going to seek out the most calorie dense foods available, and vegetables don't fall into that category.

Raw tomatoes.
Ocra, but I still hate the stuff.

None

I disliked veggies then and I dislike then now

I can eat then Chinese style but that is it

I hated all vegetables except potatoes when I was a kid. Now I pretty much like them all simply because of necessity: my body starts revolting if I dont include fruits and veggies in my meals. Seems my own body is now telling me to eat good food. lol

I guess beets and steamed carrots. As an adult I like carrots but only have eaten beets a couple times. The ultimate life long curse is brussel sprouts. I tried to eat them a year ago and still cannot stand their taste and I love cabbage.

When I started cooking veggies for my own and learned that they do not need cooked until they were dark green and mushy, the entire spectrum of veggies opened up for me. As a kid about the only cooked veggie I liked was corn (I did go out to our garden and eat raw veggies straight off the plant though).

Canned veggies are still a non starter for me, cannot stand them - the one exception is the same exception I made as a kid.. corn.

I still like most veggies raw or barely cooked (bright green and crispy still). Get me cooking green beans or asparagus and I will inevitably munch a portion raw before they hit the heat.

Last edited:
I mostly hated all veggies as a kid. Now I like most of them... except asparagus. Smelling it cooking makes me nauseous.

I mostly hated all veggies as a kid. Now I like most of them... except asparagus. Smelling it cooking makes me nauseous.

If you can smell asparagus cooking you are cooking it too long IMO, I would not touch it at that point either.

None really, what changed was my ability to create delicious sauces and medleys to put them in wherein I don't have to actually taste them very much at all. Veggies are great sauce/dip/cheese vessels.

Oh, cauliflower, I really love it and eat it, but the smell of cooking it isn't great. I agree with marduc on asparagus. 6 mins in a micro, just enough water to create steam, til the green is bright and they are just barely limp, then plenty of hollandaise sauce.

I actually liked most veggies. I snubbed spinach because my first exposure to it was the canned kind, but I gave non-canned spinach a shot in adulthood and I like it raw or properly cooked.

I liked carrots and peas, but not cooked. I don't mind cooked carrots now, but still prefer peas raw.

I know tomatoes technically aren't a veggie, but it was when I was a kid, damn it! And Pluto is a planet! :lol: I hated tomatoes when I was little (obviously I must have been mentally unwell). Now I like them so much I'll just eat them by themselves with a pinch of salt.

I hated all vegetables except potatoes when I was a kid. Now I pretty much like them all simply because of necessity: my body starts revolting if I dont include fruits and veggies in my meals. Seems my own body is now telling me to eat good food. lol

You're not alone. I have issues with my revolting body as well.

I didn't like "bitter" vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, chicory and olives as a kid, but now love them.

And spinach, but there's a story behind it: When I was about two years old, eating spinach with eggs, a wasp stung me in the lip. I somehow connected that pain with spinach. For years to come, my lip would start hurting whenever I tasted spinach. I swear, it even started swelling. Fascinating how conditioning works.

Only as a teen, I rediscovered spinach and now like it, although I find it rather unspectacular compared to other vegetables.

I basically like all veggies now, preferably not cooked to death. Especially beans. I love beans in all shapes and sizes. And the more aromatic, austere veggies such as brussels sprouts, white aspargus or artichokes. I prefer cooked potatos with the paring still on. And whenever onions are required for the right taste, I rather take more of them than less.

Still not very fond of raw tomatos, but I love cooked tomatos and tomato sauce.

Last edited:

Cooked broccoli with Cheese.I hated that growing up.Of course this was something we only ate at Thanksgiving and they would literally over cook the broccoli and throw it in some Velveta cheese.It was more like a broccoli cheese soup.When I was older at some restaurant I tried some broccoli with cheese as a side with my salmon.The broccoli was not over cooked, nor was it drowning in cheese sauce.

There aren't any vegetables I didn't like as a kid that I don't still dislike as an adult. I have, however, entirely lost my taste for cauliflower.

Oh, man, I loved onions as a kid. Used to go into the kitchen and cut them up myself, eat them just like apples.

I wouldn't touch 'em when I was a kid; wouldn't even try them. That was dumb. Like all other veggies, I love onions. How can anybody cook without them?

But veggies have to be crisp, not mushy, except for Brussels sprouts. Bright green broccoli and asparagus.

Green peas and beets. I still don't like either one of them. :lol:

Toss in Brussels Spouts to the list of worthless vegetables. I don't even like to see them sitting in the plate of the person seated next to me.

Back
Top Bottom