• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are The Positive, Enhancing Social Benefits of Homosexuality?

Why? It doesn't have any negative consequences for the individual, apart from emotional suffering at the hands of bigotry. And that isn't because of being gay - that's because of people being intolerant.

It causes considerable difficulties in family life, leaving aside issues from bigotry. They suffer from a greatly reduced pool of potential mates and cannot reproduce without resorting to methods that are highly expensive, highly uncomfortable, or both. Of course, I support every measure for allowing them to cope with these hindrances-- such as marriage and adoption rights-- but these are merely stopgap measures until the problem itself can be adequately addressed.

It causes considerable difficulties in family life, leaving aside issues from bigotry. They suffer from a greatly reduced pool of potential mates and cannot reproduce without resorting to methods that are highly expensive, highly uncomfortable, or both. Of course, I support every measure for allowing them to cope with these hindrances-- such as marriage and adoption rights-- but these are merely stopgap measures until the problem itself can be adequately addressed.

Do you know what other mammals who are homosexual sometimes do? Have sex with the opposite sex during mating season. And then have sex with the same sex the rest of the time.

I know a lesbian couple who got a friend to donate semen so she could have a child. They used a turkey baster. Yeah, seriously. And it worked. Not that complicated, and didn't seem to bother her.

These things seem to be subordinate to the gay population to the issue of love - which they experience with the same sex.

I'm straight, and sometimes I wish I were gay so I DIDN'T have to worry about pregnancy. Is my straightness a disorder? This causes me distress. And I also happen to not be able to take many forms of birth control. And I live in a society that refuses to sterilize me, despite being well past legal age, because they don't think I'm bright enough to make my own decisions (unless that decision is to be a parent, of course).

How about it? This is distressing to me. Is me being straight a disorder?

None. It's a defect and we should be working on developing a cure, or at least a preventative therapy.

Homosexuality is no more of a defect than, say, blue eyes, darker skin, or the propensity to be left-handed. Saying that homosexuality is a 'defect' means that something about that lifestyle choice has to be impaired enough to prevent adequate physical and mental processes which could lead to an inadequate functional role in society. Given that homosexual individuals tend to be just as equal to their heterosexual counterparts in every societal facet, and there are no physical or mental abnormalities associate with it, you'd be hard-pressed to find any objective scientific or psychiatric study nowadays that claims that there is a 'defect' when it comes to homosexuality. The lifestyle may be different, yes, but certainly not defective.

Regarding the OP, the answer is simple. The positive, enhancing social benefits of homosexuality are the same as the ones for heterosexuality. You can apply whatever description that you wish - lifestyle hapiness, choice of partner, stable home for raising kids, etc. The only real difference between the two is the choice in gender when it comes to intimacy.

Homosexuality is no more of a defect than, say, blue eyes, darker skin, or the propensity to be left-handed. Saying that homosexuality is a 'defect' means that something about that lifestyle choice has to be impaired enough to prevent adequate physical and mental processes which could lead to an inadequate functional role in society.

I didn't say it was a disability. I said it was a defect. Their process of sexual attraction does not operate properly. Saying that it's no different than blue eyes or dark skin is ignoring the obvious difference.

I've read somewhere that homosexuality does have an evolutionary benefit. The "Gay Uncle/Aunt" theory. As homosexuals, they would obviously have fewer children. They could instead, devote their time to caring for children and/or the group as a whole.

As for today, they are not harming anyone. Watching Adult Swim, looking at clouds, and eating macaroons are acceptable behaviors, despite not really affecting society that much. Accept them for who they are, not what you want them to be.

I've read somewhere that homosexuality does have an evolutionary benefit. The "Gay Uncle/Aunt" theory. As homosexuals, they would obviously have fewer children. They could instead, devote their time to caring for children and/or the group as a whole.

this would seem logical but for the fact that homosexuals make up such a very small % of the population. You would think that if having a "gay uncle" was so beneficial the % would be higher than 3-5%.

As for today, they are not harming anyone. .

true, however that was not the question. the question was what are the positive benefits.

this would seem logical but for the fact that homosexuals make up such a very small % of the population. You would think that if having a "gay uncle" was so beneficial the % would be higher than 3-5%.

Why would it need to make up a large percentage? No one said 1/3 of the group had to be homosexual.

true, however that was not the question. the question was what are the positive benefits.

The question is stupid and pointless. It shouldn't matter whether or not homosexuality benefits you. It's their lives, not your's

Please try to offer links to sources of information that corroborate your opinions or any claimed facts.

This debate should be focused on POSITIVE SOCIAL EFFECTS. The underlying CAUSE of HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT a part of this debate.

In other words, arguments should be linked to modern day effects on society, which are supported by current studies (last decade) or "observable behaviors" that are measurable.

Good Luck...shake hands...and come out fighting.

The positives would be as they are right now for the most part. Since gays can't marry, and apparently they want to, this may make them feel unfulfilled in some way, but most of them probably accept it the way it is, and just live their lives.

Homosexuality probably does nothing one way or another for social enhancing (whatever that is). They are people just like everybody else, so they enhance, or detract according to what they are about. Many seem to be more creative than the average, so they get into areas that make the world prettier. This is a plus.

I'd say God created Gays to enhance His creation.

Why would it need to make up a large percentage? No one said 1/3 of the group had to be homosexual.

who said anything about a large %, but if it were truely beneficial it would be higher than 5%.

The question is stupid and pointless. It shouldn't matter whether or not homosexuality benefits you.

but does it even benefit them?

I didn't say it was a disability. I said it was a defect. Their process of sexual attraction does not operate properly. Saying that it's no different than blue eyes or dark skin is ignoring the obvious difference.

And your sources that you base your beliefs that homosexuality is a DEFECT or ATTRACTION ISN'T OPERATING PROPERLY? Or did you just decide to call these on your own?

who said anything about a large %, but if it were truely beneficial it would be higher than 5%.

How do you know it has to be higher?

but does it even benefit them?

I would say it does not affect society in any great way today; it is a leftover from before we had day-care. This does not make the question any less irrelevant. It presumes that people must conform their life styles to fit our desires, even if they do us no harm.

Do you know what other mammals who are homosexual sometimes do? Have sex with the opposite sex during mating season. And then have sex with the same sex the rest of the time.

I know a lesbian couple who got a friend to donate semen so she could have a child. They used a turkey baster. Yeah, seriously. And it worked. Not that complicated, and didn't seem to bother her.

These things seem to be subordinate to the gay population to the issue of love - which they experience with the same sex.

I'm straight, and sometimes I wish I were gay so I DIDN'T have to worry about pregnancy. Is my straightness a disorder? This causes me distress. And I also happen to not be able to take many forms of birth control. And I live in a society that refuses to sterilize me, despite being well past legal age, because they don't think I'm bright enough to make my own decisions (unless that decision is to be a parent, of course).

How about it? This is distressing to me. Is me being straight a disorder?

The childless by choice issue would make a great thread. I wonder what the mods ever decided about an "equal rights" folder.

Please try to offer links to sources of information that corroborate your opinions or any claimed facts.

This debate should be focused on POSITIVE SOCIAL EFFECTS. The underlying CAUSE of HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT a part of this debate.

In other words, arguments should be linked to modern day effects on society, which are supported by current studies (last decade) or "observable behaviors" that are measurable.

Good Luck...shake hands...and come out fighting.

Why is this a relevant or important question?

I'm starting to wonder whatever happened to "Live and let live."

And your sources that you base your beliefs that homosexuality is a DEFECT or ATTRACTION ISN'T OPERATING PROPERLY? Or did you just decide to call these on your own?

Would you believe me if I said the sky was blue, or would you need to check my sources for that? Sexual attraction has a biological purpose and it fulfills that purpose in the vast majority of the population. In the minority for whom their sexual attraction does not fulfill that purpose, it is malfunctioning.

Would you believe me if I said the sky was blue, or would you need to check my sources for that? Sexual attraction has a biological purpose and it fulfills that purpose in the vast majority of the population. In the minority for whom their sexual attraction does not fulfill that purpose, it is malfunctioning.

Your SOURCES PLEASE! Are your claims verifiable? Thus far...your claims are posted as "OPINION ONLY" and not corroborated with any data that says what you claim.

Last edited:
Your SOURCES PLEASE! Are your claims verifiable? Thus far...your claims are posted as "OPINION ONLY" and not corroborated with any data that says what you claim.

thousands upon thousands of generations of humans reproducing heterosexually is all the data you need to verify his specific claim

And I live in a society that refuses to sterilize me, despite being well past legal age, because they don't think I'm bright enough to make my own decisions (unless that decision is to be a parent, of course).

I smell BS. you can walk into just about any medical facility in the country and get your tubes tied. they might try to talk you out of it, but if you are insistant they cannot turn you down.

thousands upon thousands of generations of humans reproducing heterosexually is all the data you need to verify his specific claim

So by your answer...and I don't personally know you OR ANYBODY ELSE in the forum from Adam...I have to believe everything that you say just because you say it? Surely you jest.

Laverine and Shirley. Bert and Earnie. Batman and Robin...

The Birdcage

Tom Cruise

Toe tapping

Really, the list goes on and on. I just wanna say, thanks.

So by your answer...and I don't personally know you OR ANYBODY ELSE in the forum from Adam...I have to believe everything that you say just because you say it? Surely you jest.

really? look around and name me ONE person who was created by the genetic union of two men or two women. there are none. gay men have to get a female surrogate if they want a bio kid. gay women need a sperm donor and a turkey baster.

it's common knowledge, you don't have to take my word for anything

Back
Top Bottom