• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What’s going on? Another Fox News host calls for assault weapon ban after...[W:234]

Re: WHOA! Finally, a couple Fox News pundits open the door to gun control!

O'Reilly is an idiot. The word regulate in the second amendment means to keep regular. You don't keep the militia regular by disarming them.

Wrong:

The word - Regulate means:

verb (used with object), regulated, regulating.

1. to control or direct by a rule, principle, method, etc.: to regulate household expenses.

2. to adjust to some standard or requirement, as amount, degree, etc.: to regulate the temperature.

3. to adjust so as to ensure accuracy of operation: to regulate a watch.

4. to put in good order: to regulate the digestion.

The only thing in their that supports your definition is #4. To regulate the militia means 1 - 3.

The argument you just made is not much different from the arguments the Right made in the years before Roe v. Wade.

You do know the difference between abortion which wasn't considered a Right (and still isn't) and civilian use of guns which IS most emphatically a Right held by the People.

Greetings, apdst. :2wave:

They don't have to change it - all they need to do is "interpret," on a partisan basis, what the words really mean, which I expect to see vigorously attempted now, since the 'baby steps" that have been taken in the past few years haven't worked as well as was hoped. The first two Rights in the Bill of Rights - freedom of speech and the right to bear arms - that our Founders saw fit to include because they wanted to make certain that We The People should not ever lose them, are both apparently being challenged by the Federal government, the one body they warned might try - several hundred years ago! :shock:

Greetings Miss. P! :2wave:

Well said! :agree

You do know the difference between abortion which wasn't considered a Right (and still isn't) and civilian use of guns which IS most emphatically a Right held by the People.

Regardless, you're still using the same kind of argument. The Constitution is not perfect, nor is the Bill of Rights - which is why the Founding Fathers included a means for amendments. There's nothing in the Constitution that says that none of the Bill of Rights cannot be amended.

What's more, as SCOTUS has demonstrated over the generations, the Constitution is and always has been open to interpretation...and the interpretations of Supreme Court justices have been - as you well know - wildly different not just over the generations, but very often within the same set of sitting justices.

And why do you assume that the only problem with guns is with people who are already criminals? What were they before they became criminals?

I don't assume that, sport. What does that have to do with my point that people criminals or people intending to become criminals will not be stopped by gun control laws?

I don't assume that, sport. What does that have to do with my point that people criminals or people intending to become criminals will not be stopped by gun control laws?

What sports are you not making assumptions about?

And you failed to answer a very direct question but only questioned the question.

There is nothing unconstitutional about banning model of a gun. It has been done before and was not ruled as unconstitutional.

Banning guns that do not fit the military definition of an assault weapon will not pass constitutional muster....if tested in the US Supreme Court.

Banning guns that do not fit the military definition of an assault weapon will not pass constitutional muster....if tested in the US Supreme Court.

The original version of what is now the AR 15 was developed and produced as a military weapon.

Models of guns have been banned before and were NOT ruled as unconstitutional. That precedent has already been set.

Right...pretty much all handguns were banned in NYC. However the US Supreme Court found that ban unconstitutional.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065970212 said:
You have a link to that? Thanks...

This is true, however, no other "right" has the terminology "shall not be infringed" incorporated within the wording. In the context of the 2nd Amendment it refers to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

In Heller v DC the SCOTUS also referred to the type of "arms" that would not be reasonable. I didn't see the AR15 mentioned.

The libruls want to ban the AR-15 because it looks mean. It makes them get all emotional.

Congress has banned models of guns and it was NOT ruled as unconstitutional.

Not every newly written law automatically goes to the US Supreme Court.

yeah shocked me, and i think trump also one upped his opponents by both blasting islam and approaching the NRA for *some* (very limited) gun control, but enough that it just might have prevented this (but certainly not others) tragedy

I am still flabbergasted that there are still liberals out there who think someone who intends to commit mass murder is going to be stopped by gun control laws.

Like several of the other conservatives on here, you're so far to the right that in your perception, Carlson and O'Reilly are stark raving liberals, and you cannot conceive that yeah, they ARE conservatives, that you're so far over to the right on the political spectrum that you've lost your sense of perspective.

Or to put it another way, you've moved the goalpost not just farther to the right, but out past the parking lot a few blocks down the road...and because of that, where you personally think the 50-yard line oughta be, is still way the heck out in the parking lot. You've lost the ability to see the 50-yard line where it really is, still inside that stadium.

I really do not have any desire to offend you, however I will point out that you do not have a coherent political compass. And you therefore do not have the ability to judge where on the the conservative meter any specific conservative fits. By your compass the late former democrat president John F. Kennedy would be considered a far right extremist. And it is the left that in the last couple of decades has been attempting to move the goal post. Suddenly in your minds, anyone who is simply for limited government and decent moral values is a slobbering right wing extremist. I happen to be a mainstream conservative.

No, they don't change it. They do interpret it. And the words written in the Constitution - like any large written work of great import - can usually be interpreted to mean whatever a particular person wants it to mean. Same thing goes with the Bible and the Qur'an - take ten people to read all three works, and you're almost certainly not going to find any two of those ten who agree in all respects concerning any of those works.

However that's not the way it's supposed to work, sport. US Supreme Court justices are supposed to interpret based on the US constitution, not their own partisan ideology. That is one reason I despise left wing nominees for justices or judges. They tend to legislate from the bench, rather then interpreting the law.

Ask a direct question and i will give you a direct answer. You asked a loaded question that assumed something about me that was not accurate.

The original version of what is now the AR 15 was developed and produced as a military weapon.

The M16? That's an automatic weapon. The AR-15 was made to look similar to an M-16, however it is not an M-16. It's a semi-automatic weapon made to look like a combat rifle. You are desiring to ban a weapon only because it looks mean.

The M16? That's an automatic weapon. The AR-15 was made to look similar to an M-16, however it is not an M-16. It's a semi-automatic weapon made to look like a combat rifle. You are desiring to ban a weapon only because it looks mean.

I never said a word about how it looked. Save that NRA talking point for the unsuspecting newbie who uses the line as I did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

The AR-15 is a military and civilian rifle that has been produced in many different versions. The term AR-15 was chosen by Colt for the civilian models it produced after selling the rifle to the U.S. military as the M16 rifle, and many people and references use the term AR-15 exclusively for civilian models. This article discusses the original design for military users and its major variants, however they are labeled. AR-15 rifles are lightweight, gas-operated, magazine-fed, and air-cooled. They fire an intermediate cartridge, and are manufactured with extensive use of aluminum alloys and synthetic materials.

The AR-15 was first built in 1959 by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the design to Colt. After some modifications, the redesigned rifle was adopted as the M16 rifle.

Originally a military weapon which has no place in the hands of civilians.

Ah. Fox is a hotbed of liberalism. Right.

The only reason that you (and other far, far right conservatives) make such a claim is because you (and they) have moved your personal political-lean goalposts not just farther to the right side of the stadium, but several blocks away outside the stadium...and so where you personally believe the 50-yard line is, is nowhere near where the 50-yard line actually is, but instead is way the heck out in the stadium's parking lot.
Bull****. You are either ignorant about Fox and regurgitating the issued talking points, or, are purposefully mischaracterizing the network.

Fox has a preponderance of conservative pundits, yes, but they have always had a steady stream of leftist counterpoint drivel. Thats why much of their programming is unwatchable. It devolves into shouting matches, where you can't even hear what either side is saying.

Alan Colmes, Geraldo Rivera, Lanny Davis, James Carville, Shep Smith, Juan Williams, Gretchen Carlson, Chris Wallace, Susan Estrich, Dennis Kucinich, Greta Van Susteren, Lis Whiel. Just off the top of my head.

However that's not the way it's supposed to work, sport. US Supreme Court justices are supposed to interpret based on the US constitution, not their own partisan ideology. That is one reason I despise left wing nominees for justices or judges. They tend to legislate from the bench, rather then interpreting the law.

Speaking of which, you DO remember "Citizens United", right? You know, the decision that overturned two centuries of SCOTUS jurisprudence and precedent to declare that money somehow equals speech, and thus opened up the floodgates of corporate money to our elections....

In other words, y'all got zero room to talk.

I really do not have any desire to offend you, however I will point out that you do not have a coherent political compass. And you therefore do not have the ability to judge where on the the conservative meter any specific conservative fits. By your compass the late former democrat president John F. Kennedy would be considered a far right extremist. And it is the left that in the last couple of decades has been attempting to move the goal post. Suddenly in your minds, anyone who is simply for limited government and decent moral values is a slobbering right wing extremist. I happen to be a mainstream conservative.

The above, sir, is your opinion. Here's a question. Have you ever in your life been a strong liberal? If not, then how can you say that you have any practice seeing both sides of the political story?

On the other hand, I've lived half my adult life as a strong conservative. I happily voted for Reagan and Bush 41...and I've posted MANY times on this very website how Reagan was one of our five best presidents ever (but only because he won the Cold War)...and I've posted many times how Bush 41 was a good president, a better president than Clinton, and how he deserves more credit than Clinton for the mid 90's economic boom.

Tell me, sir, if I were such a "left wing extremist" as you believe, would I repeatedly post the above AND defend those statements against my fellow liberals? Would I?

In other words, I DO see both sides of the story - I've LIVED both sides of the story. If you don't believe all that, then see what I posted on comment #2 on this thread and THEN come back to me and tell me how ignorant I am of true conservatism.

Sir, I do have the wherewithal to say who's an extremist and who's not...and the "conservatives" of today have lost their way, and have gone off the far right side of the political map where there be monsters indeed. Bush 41 - for whom I have a great deal of respect - must quietly be hanging his head in shame to see what has become of the modern Right. Why else do you think that neither he nor Bush 43 have endorsed the current GOP nominee for president? Such a refusal to endorse by every living former president of the same party is AFAIK unprecedented in all American history. You should be asking yourself why they refuse to do so...and why they might be right.

In summary, unless you've traveled the same path I have from being strong on one side of the political spectrum to the other, you don't have that same wherewithal.

When I write fiction, it's DESIGNED to be understood that it IS fiction...and the only "fiction" I've ever put online outside of the one book I've written was in the form of obvious satire.

But I get it - because I write anything at all that's fictional, in your mind that automatically means that anything at all that I post must be suspected of being fiction...because only fiction writers write fiction, I guess, and non-fiction writers (like Trump, for instance) would never, ever post anything untrue....

Your world view is fiction.

I am still flabbergasted that there are still liberals out there who think someone who intends to commit mass murder is going to be stopped by gun control laws.

Not stop them, but make it harder. Shouldn't we do everything in our power to at least make it more difficult? The answer is yes we should. You don't need an armory to protect yourself, or even hunt - and people don't get the arsenal they do because of that. They do it, because they are either delusional and think aliens, China, or communists are going to take over America, or because they like so many other Americans have an unhealthy obsession with guns.

Not stop them, but make it harder. Shouldn't we do everything in our power to at least make it more difficult? The answer is yes we should. You don't need an armory to protect yourself, or even hunt - and people don't get the arsenal they do because of that. They do it, because they are either delusional and think aliens, China, or communists are going to take over America, or because they like so many other Americans have an unhealthy obsession with guns.

Yes do everything in your power to make it harder. Fortunately, abolishing the 2nd Amendment is not within your power. Thank God and praise the Lord.

Yes do everything in your power to make it harder. Fortunately, abolishing the 2nd Amendment is not within your power. Thank God and praise the Lord.

Lol, banning a gun and putting in criminal restrictions is not abolishing the second amendment. Must conservatives act so overly-dramatic about everything?

Sure , I'm down for that, every amercan should be required to own an M-16 and report for drill every Sunday.

that would be dangerous, there would be too many democrats with guns they don't know how to handle safely. like this nut in orlando, a democrat obama voter.

Back
Top Bottom