• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We need a two party system again.

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
So the GOP has shot itself in the foot again. To think they are the party of gunslingers. How can we have check's and balence when one of our parties have lost its ability to govern? Don't get me wrong I do think it is funny to see the GOP handed its head on a regular basis because they have swung so far to the right but the fact they can't govern anymore is not funny at all in fact it is bad for the country.

This is a two party system because both liberals and conservatives have things they good at and bad at. Conservatives keep liberals from hurting business and liberals keep conservatives from hurting the poor. This country is better off with both parties working together instead of at each others neck all the time. Right now with the GOP letting the racist,religous fanatic,poor hating and down right mean spirited freaks run the show they can no longer be trusted to govern.

Now maybe the level heads in the GOP will reclaim power and we can have a two party system again and end this endless fighting that does not allow anyone to govern. The President won the election. The people spoke and the right wing lost again except for redneck states. This will continue until the right comes bact to Earth and moderates. You can not win states like Ill,NY,Cal,Mass or even swing states with the far right in control. It is time to change or go the way of the Whig's GOP.

So the GOP has shot itself in the foot again. To think they are the party of gunslingers. How can we have check's and balence when one of our parties have lost its ability to govern? Don't get me wrong I do think it is funny to see the GOP handed its head on a regular basis because they have swung so far to the right but the fact they can't govern anymore is not funny at all in fact it is bad for the country.

This is a two party system because both liberals and conservatives have things they good at and bad at. Conservatives keep liberals from hurting business and liberals keep conservatives from hurting the poor. This country is better off with both parties working together instead of at each others neck all the time. Right now with the GOP letting the racist,religous fanatic,poor hating and down right mean spirited freaks run the show they can no longer be trusted to govern.

Now maybe the level heads in the GOP will reclaim power and we can have a two party system again and end this endless fighting that does not allow anyone to govern. The President won the election. The people spoke and the right wing lost again except for redneck states. This will continue until the right comes bact to Earth and moderates. You can not win states like Ill,NY,Cal,Mass or even swing states with the far right in control. It is time to change or go the way of the Whig's GOP.

When I read the title of the thread I thought I was going to like the topic. Alas, I don't. Nothing is better in the political process than gridlock. We don't need two parties that compromise their values to reach some deal that pleases nobody. What need is politicians that take a stand which represents the people who elected them. Too many politicians go to Washington and are seduced by the power and money and become squishy like McCain and Graham. What we need is bare knuckle brawls where two ideologies clash and the only winner is the people, not the party or those who buy their influence.

Gridlock is our friend.

Last edited:
Gridlock is our friend.

If it were any easier to pass laws, all laws would be pork. Gridlock is critical to making legislation hard. If a proposed laws appeals to both sides, then it is likely a good law. If not, then it is probably not a good law. Gridlock reaveals that. But I think we would be better off with a no party system.

You finally made a post that wasn't all full of ****. I'm proud of you. :)

When I read the title of the thread I thought I was going to like the topic. Alas, I don't. Nothing is better in the political process than gridlock. We don't need two parties that compromise their values to reach some deal that pleases nobody. What need is politicians that take a stand which represents the people who elected them. Too many politicians go to Washington and are seduced by the power and money and become squishy like McCain and Graham. What we need is bare knuckle brawls where two ideologies clash and the only winner is the people, not the party or those who buy their influence.

Gridlock is our friend.

Gridlock is our enemy. How can you govern with gridlock? McCain and Graham are both conservatives who know how to govern. That is why we put them into office. Why do you think DeMent left? He could not govern.

You finally made a post that wasn't all full of ****. I'm proud of you. :)

I do like to bash the right but we need them because we do have a two party system. The GOP used to be the party that was bullish on America but I do not get that out of these Tea Bagger crazies.

I do like to bash the right but we need them because we do have a two party system. The GOP used to be the party that was bullish on America but I do not get that out of these Tea Bagger crazies.

I don't disagree with you on this.

I am a proud redneck from the state of Georgia. Jeff Foxworthy lives about 15 miles to the north of me of "I might be a redneck.." fame. Actually I consider it a badge of honor these days to be considered a redneck. Your you can win states like ILL, NY, Cal, Mass, there is a reverse to them also, Democrats can't win states like Texas, Georgia, Kansas etc.

yes, the electoral map hugely favors the Democrats these days, but it wasn't so long ago it heavily favored the Republicans. In order to win in 1992 in fact the Democrats had to nominate two southerners for presidents and VP. These things go in cycles. If the GOP is smart enough to nominate a good candidate in 2016, they can win. If not, they will lose. Party politics and support is very dynamic, one could say in 2008 the Republicans had the support of only 46% of the American People, but in 2010 they had the support of 54% of American and in 2012 back to 47%.

Party affiliation also fluctuates wildly, here is a quick view of party affiliation according to Gallup in November of every year beginning with 2008.
2008 Rep 26% Dem 39% Ind 33%
2009 Rep 25% Dem 32% Ind 41%
2010 Rep 29% Dem 29% Ind 40%
2011 Rep 27% Dem 36% Ind 35%
2012 Rep 28% Dem 33% Ind 38%
2013 Rep 20% Dem 30% Ind 47% as of Oct 5 2013 as November hasn't arrived.

it is normal to have more people affiliated with the Democrats, probably it would average out to around 5 points. Republicans are at an all time low this month and have never been any lower. But next month figures will change.

Gridlock is our enemy. How can you govern with gridlock? McCain and Graham are both conservatives who know how to govern. That is why we put them into office. Why do you think DeMent left? He could not govern.

Gridlock slows down the legislative process, it doesn't stop it. The lack of legislative balance is what gave us the travesty which is Obamacare. One party governance is the worst thing that can happen in American politics. I don't care what the party is. There is truth to the saying that democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch but liberty is a well armed lamb. Gridlock is like the well armed lamb. It protects our liberty and is a process which the founders built into the system when they gave us so many checks and balances.

As for McCain and Graham, they are far from conservative. They are the poster children for the progressive wing of the republican party.

I am a proud redneck from the state of Georgia. Jeff Foxworthy lives about 15 miles to the north of me of "I might be a redneck.." fame. Actually I consider it a badge of honor these days to be considered a redneck. Your you can win states like ILL, NY, Cal, Mass, there is a reverse to them also, Democrats can't win states like Texas, Georgia, Kansas etc.

yes, the electoral map hugely favors the Democrats these days, but it wasn't so long ago it heavily favored the Republicans. In order to win in 1992 in fact the Democrats had to nominate two southerners for presidents and VP. These things go in cycles. If the GOP is smart enough to nominate a good candidate in 2016, they can win. If not, they will lose. Party politics and support is very dynamic, one could say in 2008 the Republicans had the support of only 46% of the American People, but in 2010 they had the support of 54% of American and in 2012 back to 47%.

Party affiliation also fluctuates wildly, here is a quick view of party affiliation according to Gallup in November of every year beginning with 2008.
2008 Rep 26% Dem 39% Ind 33%
2009 Rep 25% Dem 32% Ind 41%
2010 Rep 29% Dem 29% Ind 40%
2011 Rep 27% Dem 36% Ind 35%
2012 Rep 28% Dem 33% Ind 38%
2013 Rep 20% Dem 30% Ind 47% as of Oct 5 2013 as November hasn't arrived.

it is normal to have more people affiliated with the Democrats, probably it would average out to around 5 points. Republicans are at an all time low this month and have never been any lower. But next month figures will change.

The right used to be for freedom but no longer. Barry Goldwater supported gay rights and legalizing drugs. The right used to discredit religous fanatics but now they run the party. What happened? They are no longer electable outside the bible belt.

The right used to be for freedom but no longer. Barry Goldwater supported gay rights and legalizing drugs. The right used to discredit religous fanatics but now they run the party. What happened? They are no longer electable outside the bible belt.

You may want to look at a recent electoral map. It wouldn't support your assertion...

I don't disagree with you on this.

They will not give on social issues and when they lose they saythe country has gone to ****. That is not positive. That is being poor sports. No wonder they can't win the whitehouse.

I do not have that much use for the so called religious right either. But Reagan rode that band wagon to two wins and the first Bush I win was also on the back of the so called religious conservatives. But I think people just grew tired of them. Slowly at first and now a lot of people look at them as fringe. The abortion defeats in the SCOTUS coalesced a lot of religious people into becoming Republicans. Not that they agreed with much else, but on the abortion issue they had a home.

This country has become divided basically along partisan lines. The Democrats hold power in the Northeast, the West Coast and a few island states along the great lakes. The Republicans strength is in the South, the plain and mountain states. There are very few states anymore that could go either way. Back when I was young believe it or not there were 50 state campaigns instead of these 6,7 or 8 state campaigns. But both parties at that time had their conservative and liberal wings. Remember the Rockefeller Republicans and the Yellow Dog Democrats?

Today you could say 42 states have already been decided so the battle hinges around states like Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Iowa, New Hampshire, Iowa and Nevada. There is no doubt since 2008 the democrats have a huge advantage in the electoral map,a republican isn't going to win California and New York, demographics and migration has a lot to do with it. A lot of Republicans left the Northeast and settled in the South, I know I am from Georgia and around Atlanta I swear there are more people from the Northeast than native Georgians. Political views can change over time.

Back in the 50's and 60's, the third tenet of conservatism was small government - A government that stays out of a citizen's personal business and lives. That was Goldwater's mantra to a tee and before him Eisenhower's. Perhaps all that I know is these things go in cycles. One party on top for awhile and then it switches to the other party and then back again. But even in down cycles, the party that is down can nominate the right candidate and win and the reverse is true, the party in the up position can nominate a dude and lose.

They will not give on social issues and when they lose they saythe country has gone to ****. That is not positive. That is being poor sports.

TRANSLATION: They don't think like I do, therefore they are wrong.

we need more than two parties. that's a big piece of the problem.

My idea of a two party system - Vote for the best man for the job based on several factors
Vote for someone else

You may want to look at a recent electoral map. It wouldn't support your assertion...

If that was true then the GOP would be in control outside the bible belt. They do have a avantage in state government but that is going to end in Mish,Virginia,Penn,Wis and Maine this next election cycle. Oh I forgot that moron in Fl Rick Scott. What is your point AP? Are you saying the GOP has the avantage and the majority they enjoy for now is not due to Gerrymandering? I have to disagree if that is your point. Who would have thought Mizzu would be the Tides best compition in the SEC?

smokie, smokie, take a tokie.....

TRANSLATION: They don't think like I do, therefore they are wrong.

So you are a libertarian now? Wow. The right has lost on the social issues and you know it. Don't play stupid. Even Chris Christie could not stop gay marriage in NJ so that is yet another state that the right has lost on that issue. Tell me the truth. In 1995 did you ever think that possible? The same is true for pot. In 2014 3 more states are going to probily legalize it and I ask you the same queston. Would you have ever thought that possible 15 years ago? The right is losing on these issues and with these tea party guys hurting the GOP brand as of late the right is losing on fiscal issues too. With the income inequality in this country supply side economics are coming under queston too. Glad to see you have moderated on the social issues at least or you would not be calling yourself a libertarian.

smokie, smokie, take a tokie.....

What in the hell are you talking about? Are you suggesting that one who smokes pot does not have a legit opinion? If so that is as stupid as it gets my friend. Carl Sagan smoked pot every day along with about a million of other people. Where is my opinion wrong? If you want to debate me on the pot issue then go to the war on drugs.

I do not have that much use for the so called religious right either. But Reagan rode that band wagon to two wins and the first Bush I win was also on the back of the so called religious conservatives. But I think people just grew tired of them. Slowly at first and now a lot of people look at them as fringe. The abortion defeats in the SCOTUS coalesced a lot of religious people into becoming Republicans. Not that they agreed with much else, but on the abortion issue they had a home.

This country has become divided basically along partisan lines. The Democrats hold power in the Northeast, the West Coast and a few island states along the great lakes. The Republicans strength is in the South, the plain and mountain states. There are very few states anymore that could go either way. Back when I was young believe it or not there were 50 state campaigns instead of these 6,7 or 8 state campaigns. But both parties at that time had their conservative and liberal wings. Remember the Rockefeller Republicans and the Yellow Dog Democrats?

Today you could say 42 states have already been decided so the battle hinges around states like Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Iowa, New Hampshire, Iowa and Nevada. There is no doubt since 2008 the democrats have a huge advantage in the electoral map,a republican isn't going to win California and New York, demographics and migration has a lot to do with it. A lot of Republicans left the Northeast and settled in the South, I know I am from Georgia and around Atlanta I swear there are more people from the Northeast than native Georgians. Political views can change over time.

Back in the 50's and 60's, the third tenet of conservatism was small government - A government that stays out of a citizen's personal business and lives. That was Goldwater's mantra to a tee and before him Eisenhower's. Perhaps all that I know is these things go in cycles. One party on top for awhile and then it switches to the other party and then back again. But even in down cycles, the party that is down can nominate the right candidate and win and the reverse is true, the party in the up position can nominate a dude and lose.

I think when Reagan won the GOP changed forever. He hated hippies and his drug war was aimed right at them nevermind freedom. When Bill Clinton was elected it enraged the right wing. It was not just because Clinton was liberal but also the fact he was from the south and a southerm Baptist so he knew how to talk like a conservative when it came time to. Then there was the sex issue. The right wing thought they had him and could remove him from office and avenge Nixon but they found out most Americans do not give a damn about sexual immorality between two adults. That led to the mean spirited,stick in the mudd Obama haters we have today. The GOP has to change and they hate that fact.

What in the hell are you talking about? Are you suggesting that one who smokes pot does not have a legit opinion? If so that is as stupid as it gets my friend. Carl Sagan smoked pot every day along with about a million of other people. Where is my opinion wrong? If you want to debate me on the pot issue then go to the war on drugs.

I'm suggesting that chronic potheads have brainpans full of mush.

I'm suggesting that chronic potheads have brainpans full of mush.

And I say you are full of ****. Do you say the same thing about drunks? Do you think Gary Kasperov is braindead? Did you think John Lennon was braindead? I think you are braindead.

And I say you are full of ****. Do you say the same thing about drunks? Do you think Gary Kasperov is braindead? Did you think John Lennon was braindead? I think you are braindead.

I messed up my entire life...because I got high

sleeping on the sidewalk...because I got high

Back
Top Bottom