• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We have a plan to end gun violence.

The issue is presence of firearms in households and in the overall population. Prevalence. Simple numbers of guns does not mean that the guns are evenly present in the population because many gun owners have multiple guns but can only really use one at a time. The presence of any gun in a household is associated with greater risk of homicide, death by suicide, or accidental death/injury compared to households without firearms.
Guns have a 100 year life span of functional use, so sales are a poor indicator of prevalence.

Number of people with access to guns/number of homicides using guns

Guns for the premise of personal protection should be highly regulated and licensed with strict proof that such protection is necessary.
Kind of like the previous MD “May issue” concealed carry permit? YiOu had to have proof of a threat before you could respond to it.

Too bad that we don’t have a Department of Pre-Crime to determine when people can have a gun.

So, your plan is rejected.
The idea of personal guns to put down some supposed tyrannical government should be laughed at. Recreational guns should be stored and maintained at a facility that constitutes a legal recreational facility.
Making a one stop shop for criminals. REJECTED
Hunting guns can be stored and regulated the same way. Silencers therefore can be stored at these facilities with their guns.
One stop shop for criminals. REJECTED.

And the authoritarian tendencies are revealed.
You are welcome to your guns where you cannot hurt anyone.
Of course, the libertarian mentality loves a society without restraints all the while exploiting the benefits of community services.

Why do you think alcohol should be unregulated?
I don't. Neither do I think firearms should be unregulated. Why don't you think alcohol should be outlawed?

You are welcome to your guns where you cannot hurt anyone.
Of course, the libertarian mentality loves a society without restraints all the while exploiting the benefits of community services.

You're special pleading again. Do you consider people are welcome to their knives where they can't hurt anyone? Their motor vehicles? Their alcohol?

I don't. Neither do I think firearms should be unregulated. Why don't you think alcohol should be outlawed?
While I don't think a discussion of alcohol has any place in a firearm discussion, every advanced society has found it helpful to regulate alcohol and, in specific cases, ban it. Discuss firearms.

While I don't think a discussion of alcohol has any place in a firearm discussion, every advanced society has found it helpful to regulate alcohol and, in specific cases, ban it. Discuss firearms.
I think it makes sense to sensibly regulate firearms, as we already do. I don't think they should be outlawed because people want the freedom to own them.

I bring up alcohol because my reasoning for not outlawing firearms is identical to my reasoning for not outlawing alcohol. People want to have the freedom to drink alcohol, and the cost in deaths to society is not high enough to warrant taking this freedom away. I'm wondering if people who want to outlaw firearms agree with this?

The discussion is pretty much over when the special pleading fallacy is exposed. Then it's just a matter of being amused by the avoidance.

Reactions: lwf
I came home last night and 4 of my guns assaulted me

question - what do I need to do about it ?
Firearm violence results in 100,000 victims every year.

I think it makes sense to sensibly regulate firearms, as we already do. I don't think they should be outlawed because people want the freedom to own them.

I bring up alcohol because my reasoning for not outlawing firearms is identical to my reasoning for not outlawing alcohol. People want to have the freedom to drink alcohol, and the cost in deaths to society is not high enough to warrant taking this freedom away. I'm wondering if people who want to outlaw firearms agree with this?
There are 100,000 arguments every year to regulate firearms better.

There are millions of arguments every year to regulate alcohol better.

Firearm violence results in 100,000 victims every year.

firearms never, ever EVER assault anyone or are violent towards anyone

you understand that, right ??

firearms is just an adjective ........... I assume you say automobile violence, knife violence, ball bat violence etc when referencing other types of violence right ?

silly me ... no, you don't and I don't, nobody does

"firearm violence" "assault weapons" are key words liberals have create to stoke fear in people - and they've said it so much ya'll believe it :(

firearms never, ever EVER assault anyone or are violent towards anyone

you understand that, right ??

firearms is just an adjective ........... I assume you say automobile violence, knife violence, ball bat violence etc when referencing other types of violence right ?

silly me ... no, you don't and I don't, nobody does

"firearm violence" "assault weapons" are key words liberals have create to stoke fear in people - and they've said it so much ya'll believe it :(
The old NRA meme.... no firearm ever hurt anyone.
One cannot underestimate the determination of gun nuts to re-write science, public health, and history.

There are tens of millions of people who use firearms peacefully and lawfully every year. Hundreds and hundreds of millions of times.

They overwhelm your argument, which is why you never mention them.

Firearm are the weapon most used for homicide in the US and feature prominently in domestic violence:

https://efsgv.org/learn/type-of-gun-violence/domestic-violence-and-firearms/

“Domestic violence, including intimate partner violence, is a public health crisis in the U.S. Nearly one in four women and one in seven men will experience severe physical violence at the hands of their intimate partner in their lifetime. Fortunately, most victims of domestic violence survive. But far too many do not. Firearms contribute significantly to domestic violence in the U.S. — to threaten, to coerce, to control, and to kill. Around 4.5 million women in the United States have been threatened with a gun, and nearly 1 million women have been shot or shot at by an intimate partner. “

The old NRA meme.... no firearm ever hurt anyone.
One cannot underestimate the determination of gun nuts to re-write science, public health, and history.

firearms are incapable of hurting someone with the rare occurrence of one falling off a shelf and hitting someone in the head I guess?

inanimate objects are like that

think of it like this - every violent act that happened to get that 100,000 number you like to post ... magically go back and replace the gun with another weapon. All 100,000 acts of violence would STILL occur - the guns didn't do anything, the PEOPLE did

the core problem - the people doing the violent things

Back
Top Bottom