• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:778] (Bloomberg Law) Trump Bond Reduced to $175 Million as He Appeals NY Fine

Yes, so happy they ended doing business with Trump. :ROFLMAO:

and they have the right to do that - doesn't mean laws were broken or loans not fulfilled

Enjoy it while you can I suppose.

we'll see how it all plays out - one thing we know for sure

this is election interference and an attack on Democracy. The AG ran her campaign on anti-Trump and liberal judge sided with her - a gross miscarriage of justice.

Say something intelligent for a change.

What more would you like. This was your question ----

why does Trump have to post a humongous bond to appeal it?

And the answer is he doesn't. As you're probably aware Trump hasn't paid the bond (or maybe you aren't, but he hasn't) and he filed his appeal on February 26th. So over a month ago.

As they say, it isn't over until the fat lady sings.

Professor Greg Germain of Syracuse University of Law told Newsweek that Trump may be able to convince an appeal court that James had not proven he had committed fraud.

"The traditional job of the attorney general is to protect innocent citizens who cannot protect themselves, such as consumers and investors. In this case, the attorney general is purporting to protect large financial institutions who can protect themselves and did not request the attorney general's [protection]. So while motive is not directly relevant to the issues before them, I don't think the judges will be able to ignore the ramifications of their decision," he said.

"This case involves punishing Trump primarily for past harm in using an overstated financial statement. I think he has a strong argument that when the attorney general seeks to punish for past use, rather than prevent future use, she would have to show all of the traditional elements of fraud."

Germain said Engoron may try to shape this week's judgment to try to include examples of past fraud.

"I also expect that Judge Engoron will select testimony from the trial that would support the elements of fraud, but the evidence of reasonable reliance [on Trump's financial statements] by the 'victims' is very weak," he said.

A banking official has already told the trial that he did not not solely rely on Trump's statements when they were assessing his a loan application and that the bank makes its own calculations.

New York executive order 63.12, under which James took her case, gives her wide powers to investigate alleged business fraud.

"While the attorney general's motive is not technically a defense, it should weigh heavily on the judges' minds in deciding whether 63.12 gives the attorney general such extraordinary powers to punish false information, even if the information was not intentional, was not relied on, did not harm anyone," Germain said.

What more would you like. This was your question ----

why does Trump have to post a humongous bond to appeal it?

And the answer is he doesn't. As you're probably aware Trump hasn't paid the bond (or maybe you aren't, but he hasn't) and he filed his appeal on February 26th. So over a month ago.
I don't think you have clue #1 about what you talking about. What the hell do you think this bond is for?

and they have the right to do that - doesn't mean laws were broken or loans not fulfilled

we'll see how it all plays out - one thing we know for sure

this is election interference and an attack on Democracy. The AG ran her campaign on anti-Trump and liberal judge sided with her - a gross miscarriage of justice.

Of course they do. And no. The whole election interference thing is just Trump feeding you guys more bait. Trump was not a presidential candidate in 2019 when they started investigating this case and he also wasn't one when he was sued.

I don't think you have clue #1 about what you talking about.
Some things never change.
What the hell do you think this bond is for?

Of course they do. And no. The whole election interference thing is just Trump feeding you guys more bait. Trump was not a presidential candidate in 2019 when they started investigating this case and he also wasn't one when he was sued.

More nonsense. Trump had always intended on running for president again.

he was President in 2019 - and they'd have went after him hard had he won but he didn't and so they waited and bided their time until 6-9 months before

and

its made Trump even MORE popular than before because people see the gross injustice

I don't think you have clue #1 about what you talking about. What the hell do you think this bond is for?

LoL Well unlike you, I know it's not to be able to file the appeal.

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump has appealed his $454 million New York civil fraud judgment, challenging a judge's finding that he lied about his wealth as he grew the real estate empire that launched him to stardom and the presidency.

The former president's lawyers filed notices of appeal Monday asking the state's mid-level appeals court to overturn Judge Arthur Engoron's Feb. 16 verdict in Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit and reverse staggering penalties that threaten to wipe out Trump's cash reserves.

As for what the bond is for? Look up the word disgorgement.

Disgorgement is a remedy requiring a party who profits from illegal or wrongful acts to give up any profits they made as a result of that illegal or wrongful conduct.

Last edited:
he was President in 2019 - and they'd have went after him hard had he won but he didn't and so they waited and bided their time until 6-9 months before

and

its made Trump even MORE popular than before because people see the gross injustice

:ROFLMAO: Yes he was. And let's not forget the whole "can't charge a sitting president" deal. Maybe you think that they were biding their time, but they were building their case for whenever president Trump became citizen Trump. He was not running for office when sued.

And guess what? Being popular doesn't always fall on the positive side of things. I'm guessing plenty more people are aware of his crimes and constantly whining far more than they care to know.

Funny how the judge ruling in her favor just contaminates the judge in your mind rather than affirming that the prosecution was correct. I'm guessing there isn't any possible evidence that would change your mind here.

Funny how the judge ruling in her favor just contaminates the judge in your mind rather than affirming that the prosecution was correct. I'm guessing there isn't any possible evidence that would change your mind here.

its a gross ruling fired by political fuel - its an attack on Democracy and election interference plain and simple

find Trump $1 million for fudging some numbers - done

but there were no victims, nothing was stolen, the banks got exactly what they wanted ..... if the AG hadn't nosed in, everyone would have stayed happy

we've never seen this kind of case before and never will again - this is a one time deal and only because its Trump and Democrats fear him

but there were no victims, nothing was stolen, the banks got exactly what they wanted ..... if the AG hadn't nosed in, everyone would have stayed happy
Why would you think banks would want to give Trump a lower interest rate based on fraudulent documents? The fundamental objective of fraud is that the victims don't know they've been defrauded and don't complain.

we've never seen this kind of case before and never will again - this is a one time deal and only because its Trump and Democrats fear him
It was quite unusual when the former attorney of the President testified under oath to Congress that the President had been committing fraud. I don't think that had ever happened before and I doubt it will again. But if it does, I hope that the proper authorities investigate it, and if they find sufficient evidence, follow through with the prosecution.

LoL Well unlike you, I know it's not to be able to file the appeal.

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump has appealed his $454 million New York civil fraud judgment, challenging a judge's finding that he lied about his wealth as he grew the real estate empire that launched him to stardom and the presidency.

The former president's lawyers filed notices of appeal Monday asking the state's mid-level appeals court to overturn Judge Arthur Engoron's Feb. 16 verdict in Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit and reverse staggering penalties that threaten to wipe out Trump's cash reserves.

As for what the bond is for? Look up the word disgorgement.

Disgorgement is a remedy requiring a party who profits from illegal or wrongful acts to give up any profits they made as a result of that illegal or wrongful conduct.

I don't think you understand what you've quoted.

The reduction in the bond amount does not reduce the total $454m fine Trump will ultimately be expected to pay if an appeals court upholds the judgment. Rather, a bond works as assurance that Trump will pay the fine’s full amount if his appeal is unsuccessful. It is unclear how long the appellate court will take to issue a ruling, though it could take at least a few months.

Last week Trump’s lawyers said it was a “practical impossibility” for him to secure a bond for half a billion dollars, covering the full fine from his fraud loss.

Source

Why would you think banks would want to give Trump a lower interest rate based on fraudulent documents? The fundamental objective of fraud is that the victims don't know they've been defrauded and don't complain.

they gave Trump a loan because all their research said "by these conditions and rules, give Trump the loan, he's good for it" and guess what ?

he was

I don't think you understand what you've quoted.

Source

What part am I not understanding?

The disgorgement amount (was $454) is now currently $468 and growing. He couldn't come up with the $454 so the appeals court gave him a reduction down to $175 million to be paid within 10 days, but the $468 will still be due should he lose the appeal. His appeal was filed back on February 26th, which I why I told you he didn't have to post the bond in order to file his appeal.

they gave Trump a loan because all their research said "by these conditions and rules, give Trump the loan, he's good for it" and guess what ?

he was
Once again, why would you think banks would want to give Trump a lower interest rate based on fraudulent documents?

What part am I not understanding?

The disgorgement amount (was $454) is now currently $468 and growing. He couldn't come up with the $454 so the appeals court gave him a reduction down to $175 million to be paid within 10 days, but the $468 will still be due should he lose the appeal. His appeal was filed back on February 26th, which I why I told you he didn't have to post the bond in order to file his appeal.
Nevermind - I'm interested in yet another daylong SlyFox babble-fest. Go play somewhere else.

Nevermind - I'm interested in yet another daylong SlyFox babble-fest. Go play somewhere else.

Oh I see. This is your typical "stepped in it" kind of post of so you're going to scurry off since unable to actually address the point.

Right?

"How come the banks weren't complaining loudly and publicly about this? Huh? Huh?"

Um, well....
Yeah, I forgot about that as a reason. The officers of a company don't want it getting out that they've lost money for their stockholders, through incompetence.

Even though the court lowered the amount to $175 million (the $468 will still be there) to make it easier for him to pay, he still hasn't.
I'm irritated that I had to re-set my countdown clock.

If he can't make the $175M (in 7 days)... that will tell all about his self-acclaimed wealth.

Can he sell that many Bibles or gold-painted sneakers, that quickly?

Particularly when the alleged "victim" had no problem with the deal, got repaired and earned a profit.
The victim had a problem with the deal and lost millions.

no, the banks were happy with the deals, exactly what the deals were supposed to give back to the banks were fulfilled - no fraud, no lost money,
Millions and millions of lost money. And very unhappy banks.

there are no examples - because this is a first time ever type case isn't it ?
No. Hundreds of such cases.
from an AG who ran her campaign on "get Donald Trump"
Right. Because AGs try to get criminals. It's their job.
ya'll are giggly because you hate Trump -
Well, that's true. I'm a decent and patriotic American. Why wouldn't I hate an election-cheater, classified-docs' thief and violent insurrectionist?

You say it like it's a bad thing to hate such behavior. Are you American?
this entire thing is election interference to squash a political opponent and its an attack on Democracy
Nah, this is law enforcement, enforcing our laws. That's all it is.

Back
Top Bottom