• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UKIP outs top paid EU officials

Natan

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
tabeljoinedEU.jpeg

Excerpts of the UKIP EU rich list document:

"- The top 200 EU officials were all paid more than the UK Prime Minister.
- The average Rich List official receives 10 times more money every year than the average UK worker.
- On average, officials in the EU Rich List each pay £50,000 less tax than they would in the UK.
- Pensions of officials in the EU Rich List are projected to cost European taxpayers £4.5m every year.
- In total, the top 200 EU officials potentially cost the EU taxpayer over £50 million in the 2014-15 year.
- There is limited political oversight when it comes to setting levels of official pay."

joinedtable2euukip.jpeg

Full document at link below:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...al/1451073643/The_EU_Rich_List.pdf?1451073643

I'd like to work for the EU, to be overpaid and undertaxed. Qualifications needed are probably not that great, I should learn maybe one/two extra languages and get my french up to date.

tabeljoinedEU.jpeg

- The average Rich List official receives 10 times more money every year than the average UK worker.
- On average, officials in the EU Rich List each pay £50,000 less tax than they would in the UK.
- Pensions of officials in the EU Rich List are projected to cost European taxpayers £4.5m every year.
- In total, the top 200 EU officials potentially cost the EU taxpayer over £50 million in the 2014-15 year.
- There is limited political oversight when it comes to setting levels of official pay."

joinedtable2euukip.jpeg

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...al/1451073643/The_EU_Rich_List.pdf?1451073643

I'd like to work for the EU, to be overpaid and undertaxed. Qualifications needed are probably not that great, I should learn maybe one/two extra languages and get my french up to date.

Even lower jobs like interpreters or other such are extremely well paid plus very good benefits.

Even lower jobs like interpreters or other such are extremely well paid plus very good benefits.

Well the interpreters deserve that pay their job is rather daunting. Especially the one guy who knows 20 languages.

tabeljoinedEU.jpeg

joinedtable2euukip.jpeg

UKIP are idiots...

Guess how much Nigel Farage gets? estimates are from 100k to almost 1 million a year.. how? Well he gets his basic wage, and the other add-ons.. plus he has his wife as his staff......

Well the interpreters deserve that pay their job is rather daunting. Especially the one guy who knows 20 languages.
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to settle on a single common world language like English, expect the idiots that we elect to speak it and just have whatever is needed translated back to the language of the respective countries?

Their one UKIP MP dug his heels in and refused to screw the system for every penny as Farage insisted.

Guess how much Nigel Farage gets? estimates are from 100k to almost 1 million a year.. how? Well he gets his basic wage, and the other add-ons.. plus he has his wife as his staff......
100k to almost 1 million a year is quite an error margin. I've been married 1 to almost 10 times.

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to settle on a single common world language like English, expect the idiots that we elect to speak it and just have whatever is needed translated back to the language of the respective countries?

I would say that is unreasonable, it means only those fluent in English can become representatives. Also Europe is a very multilingual place and even countries within it speak multiple languages. It respects the culture of every country in the EU. Also English would not be the only contender, French would to as many people in Europe speak French and is historically the language of diplomacy. They have to translate everything that is said anyways.

I would say that is unreasonable, it means only those fluent in English can become representatives. Also Europe is a very multilingual place and even countries within it speak multiple languages. It respects the culture of every country in the EU. Also English would not be the only contender, French would to as many people in Europe speak French and is historically the language of diplomacy. They have to translate everything that is said anyways.
Eurosong contest bull****. Not buying that excuse. The only reason is the French are an utter pain in the ass when it comes to their language. We have our own share of problems with the french language in Belgium (people moving from French speaking parts to Dutch speaking parts and not assimilating). Same thing in Canada AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong.

Eurosong contest bull****. Not buying that excuse. The only reason is the French are an utter pain in the ass when it comes to their language. We have our own share of problems with the french language in Belgium (people moving from French speaking parts to Dutch speaking parts and not assimilating). Same thing in Canada AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong.

Well the historical significance is true, also French is a popular language in Eastern Europe. I lived in Frencophone Belgium for my exchange and I have to say that the relationship is rather hostile and makes no sense. Well the language divide in Canada is not the biggest anymore, I live in a francophone majority city. Learning the other language is part of being a good citizen. I would say the East vs West divide has become the largest cultural divide.

100k to almost 1 million a year is quite an error margin. I've been married 1 to almost 10 times.

It is because there are a lot of add-ons and he is very secretive about what he gets. What is known for sure, is that his wife is part of his staff and she gets at a minimum 30k pounds a year... most likely much more since she too can get travel expenses covered and a food allowance. On top of that he gets 120k as a EU parliament member, plus a ton of add-ons for travel and food and staff. His party also gets tons of money that is used for "party business" in the EU.. office and staff among other things and that there are now investigations going on into misappropriation of funds by Farage. The rumor mill has him using EU funds for personal family trips and political campaigning.. which is illegal of course. The Danish version of Farage just got busted for such abuse and had to pay back almost 200k euros.

So I do not understand what UKIP hope to gain from this, as it opens up a pandoras box of their opponents being able to ask the very same questions about their finances, and considering the totally disarray that UKIP is in at the moment, with in fighting and defections.. then leaks and such will be coming.

But on the subject.. it has hardly been a secret on what these people get. It is a matter of public record and yes it is too much.. but there is an explanation for some if not all of it.. it comes often down to cost of living and travel and all that. Could they lower the amount paid? You betcha, but let me ask you this..... what about politicians in other countries? Why not go after all instead of being so selective? The amount of abuse in the UK by politicians is huge despite the whole scandal around it. They get hand over fist and are special compared to the rest of the country. For example, one I heard today. In the UK housing benefits have been cut for all under 21... but the SNP member who was 20 when she became the youngest member of Parliament... got MP housing benefit... the only one under 21 in the whole of the UK that got it. And wage increases of MPs in the UK and else where... have happened during the whole crisis we have been in.... just saying.

You betcha, but let me ask you this..... what about politicians in other countries? Why not go after all instead of being so selective? The amount of abuse in the UK by politicians is huge despite the whole scandal around it.
I won't deny in pretty much every country there are similar excesses on a national level (or even local, municipalities) but these excesses are the worst, out of all proportion ("- The top 200 EU officials were all paid more than the UK Prime Minister.") and should be addressed first as an exemplary function.

tabeljoinedEU.jpeg

joinedtable2euukip.jpeg

I'm not saying these salaries and payments are reasonable, but I fail to see how UKIP is 'outing ' anyone since all this data is in the public domain, freely available for anyone who is interested to read.

Yep. That one gets a cookie.

I'm not saying these salaries and payments are reasonable, but I fail to see how UKIP is 'outing ' anyone since all this data is in the public domain, freely available for anyone who is interested to read.

I guess it is more that they alerted the people to the fact.

It is because there are a lot of add-ons and he is very secretive about what he gets. What is known for sure, is that his wife is part of his staff and she gets at a minimum 30k pounds a year... most likely much more since she too can get travel expenses covered and a food allowance. On top of that he gets 120k as a EU parliament member, plus a ton of add-ons for travel and food and staff. His party also gets tons of money that is used for "party business" in the EU.. office and staff among other things and that there are now investigations going on into misappropriation of funds by Farage. The rumor mill has him using EU funds for personal family trips and political campaigning.. which is illegal of course. The Danish version of Farage just got busted for such abuse and had to pay back almost 200k euros.

So I do not understand what UKIP hope to gain from this, as it opens up a pandoras box of their opponents being able to ask the very same questions about their finances, and considering the totally disarray that UKIP is in at the moment, with in fighting and defections.. then leaks and such will be coming.

But on the subject.. it has hardly been a secret on what these people get. It is a matter of public record and yes it is too much.. but there is an explanation for some if not all of it.. it comes often down to cost of living and travel and all that. Could they lower the amount paid? You betcha, but let me ask you this..... what about politicians in other countries? Why not go after all instead of being so selective? The amount of abuse in the UK by politicians is huge despite the whole scandal around it. They get hand over fist and are special compared to the rest of the country. For example, one I heard today. In the UK housing benefits have been cut for all under 21... but the SNP member who was 20 when she became the youngest member of Parliament... got MP housing benefit... the only one under 21 in the whole of the UK that got it. And wage increases of MPs in the UK and else where... have happened during the whole crisis we have been in.... just saying.

I guess UKIP wants the question discussed more than they want the extra income. The don't like the sneeky way the EU does things. That should be a thing that even Schultz would desire seeing, what the dishonest shoddiness of the past done to the project's legitimacy. Why, even he is now running around saying it could now actually destroy the organization.

I guess UKIP wants the question discussed more than they want the extra income. The don't like the sneeky way the EU does things. That should be a thing that even Schultz would desire seeing, what the dishonest shoddiness of the past done to the project's legitimacy. Why, even he is now running around saying it could now actually destroy the organization.

It is hilarious how you think that the EU is doing "sneeky" things when it is hugely transparent, especially when compared to national governments.

I won't deny in pretty much every country there are similar excesses on a national level (or even local, municipalities) but these excesses are the worst, out of all proportion ("- The top 200 EU officials were all paid more than the UK Prime Minister.") and should be addressed first as an exemplary function.

I dont disagree but considering how many more there are national levels, relative to the EU, then maybe it is time to go after those also?

Plus the comment that the top 200 EU officials are paid more than the UK Prime Minister.. you do know that certain people in the UK government are also paid more right?

More than 300 senior public officials paid more than David Cameron | Politics | The Guardian

So there are over 300 in the UK alone that earn more... kinda puts things into perspective and exposes the anti-EU hatred to its core..

Shhh dont expose people... the myth of the secretive EU must remain!... that the EU is far more open on pretty much everything than say the UK government.. welll shhhh that is a bigggg secret...

It is hilarious how you think that the EU is doing "sneeky" things when it is hugely transparent, especially when compared to national governments.

It is funny that you do not recognize the fact that the EU is built on the intransparencies of the member countries that must mask their subterfuge for constitutional and populist reasons and that it is not possible for an organization built on lies to honest.

9000 British public sector managers earn more than the Prime Minister. His official salary isn't all that excessive. Like Tony Blair, they don't become millionaires until they leave government. (Unless they already were, like Cameron)

9,000 in public sector get more pay than prime minister - BBC News

9000 British public sector managers earn more than the Prime Minister. His official salary isn't all that excessive. Like Tony Blair, they don't become millionaires until they leave government. (Unless they already were, like Cameron)

9,000 in public sector get more pay than prime minister - BBC News

As we've seen on many occasions, countries can continue to function perfectly well without a Prime Minister or President. Most public bodies and departments cannot function without a chief decision-maker/leader. Makes sense that a senior manager is worth more than a head politician.

UKIP are idiots...

Estimates from $50,000 to $5,000,000 would be even more shocking.

It's the UKIP who are the idiots, huh?

Back
Top Bottom