• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's 15-week abortion ban is not a bad idea.

There is no growth outside the body though, that would be completely different scenario. That you might actually be able to have a case for if there was an artificial womb, where the woman/parents agreed to grow their embryo through artificial pregnancy, and there is no person's actual body being imposed upon. That doesn't exist yet.
i said incubators.. forget in vitro if its throwing you off. incubators are for pre-term viable fetus
No. It is not the state's place to determine that. It should be between the woman and her doctor. Her body is invaded, she has a right to bodily autonomy, determine the risk she accepts on her body.
a pregnancy is not an invasion like a pathogen
What do you mean by "very late term abortions"? Please give an exact timeframe for this. Should be a law not because there isn't a doctor available there.
Im not an expert on this.. 3rd trimester where there is viabilily and signification differentiation of the fetus would be about right

i used in vitro for outside the body, like n incubator. That might not be the correct usage, but the point is the same
the state has an interest in protecting viable life - why very late term abortions are generally banned with exceptions for health of mother etc.
Doesn’t even know what terms mean.

Think he should be able to dictate what women do.

Classic.

i said incubators.. forget in vitro if its throwing you off. incubators are for pre-term viable fetus

a pregnancy is not an invasion like a pathogen

Im not an expert on this.. 3rd trimester where there is viabilily and signification differentiation of the fetus would be about right
Incubators come about after birth. Birth would have still happened. No one is arguing they are not people, as they are recognized as citizens and as people at that point. It would in fact be that point that their age is even calculated, at birth. There is a point where if a fetus is born, they will not survive after birth, regardless of the incubator though. And doctors do not consider it ethical to induce birth on a 50% chance that they might survive if they utilize limited hospital resources and likely some major health issues.

A pregnancy is absolutely an invasion.

I'm asking for evidence, not your claims. You said "very late term abortions", which is not anything I've ever heard before. "Late term abortion" is the normal claim, and that can be either after viability, after 20 weeks, or after 3rd trimester starts, but I don't know of any bans that begin only after the 3rd trimester starts at the moment. But it doesn't matter because they are still allowed in almost all those states that have a later abortion cutoff that they can abort for more than just life of mother. Almost all also allow for severe fetal problems and health of mother. This still doesn't cover necessary events though, such as "health/life of another fetus in same pregnancy".

Doesn’t even know what terms mean.

Think he should be able to dictate what women do.

Classic.
I dont "dictate" I am showing the state has an interest in protecting viable life.
Get on your high horse and continue your fanaticism elsewhere

I dont "dictate" I am showing the state has an interest in protecting viable life.
No. You are merely stating in your opinion they do. That isn't evidence they really do have an interest. They should never be able to violate a person's right to bodily autonomy, protecting themselves from harm (even if not death) because of feelings. There is nothing beneficial to the state about intruding on private medical decisions about pregnancy. The person doesn't even have to tell the state they are pregnant.

More bullshit.

The state doesn’t protect living humans effectively - they have no business involving themselves in the contents of a woman’s uterus.

When there arent thousands of kids in foster care, billions in unpaid child support floating around out there…when kids aren’t dying in classrooms and playgrounds from gun violence, when every kid gets the medical care they need and has enough to eat…hell…the list goes on and on how we - as a state - fail to “protect”

Protecting life 😂😂😂

What a joke.

Incubators come about after birth. Birth would have still happened. No one is arguing they are not people, as they are recognized as citizens and as people at that point. It would in fact be that point that their age is even calculated, at birth. There is a point where if a fetus is born, they will not survive after birth, regardless of the incubator though. And doctors do not consider it ethical to induce birth on a 50% chance that they might survive if they utilize limited hospital resources and likely some major health issues.

A pregnancy is absolutely an invasion.

I'm asking for evidence, not your claims. You said "very late term abortions", which is not anything I've ever heard before. "Late term abortion" is the normal claim, and that can be either after viability, after 20 weeks, or after 3rd trimester starts, but I don't know of any bans that begin only after the 3rd trimester starts at the moment. But it doesn't matter because they are still allowed in almost all those states that have a later abortion cutoff that they can abort for more than just life of mother. Almost all also allow for severe fetal problems and health of mother. This still doesn't cover necessary events though, such as "health/life of another fetus in same pregnancy".
sounds good. recall I didnt want Roe v Wade to be overturned because of chaos like this.
My concern is just not aborting viable fetus - i dont care about abortion other wise.
Many women use it because they can't take care of another child. Im good with that as well.

But please dont call a pregnancy an invasion - that's literally calling it a pathogen

sounds good. recall I didnt want Roe v Wade to be overturned because of chaos like this.
My concern is just not aborting viable fetus - i dont care about abortion other wise.
Many women use it because they can't take care of another child. Im good with that as well.

But please dont call a pregnancy an invasion - that's literally calling it a pathogen
It is an invasion. Your feelings don't change that. Many women are willing and able to take on that "invasion", accept it because we want a child and have little to no personal problems that we feel are an actual issue for us. That doesn't change that most women do not give their "permission" to be pregnant, have something in their body.

It's not my body, not my place to determine whether anyone's pregnancy should be aborted or not. It's their body, even after the point of viability. Roe was a fairly reasonable compromise, but still didn't fully recognize bodily autonomy in my opinion. But it worked when it wasn't being restricted.

No. You are merely stating in your opinion they do. That isn't evidence they really do have an interest. They should never be able to violate a person's right to bodily autonomy, protecting themselves from harm (even if not death) because of feelings. There is nothing beneficial to the state about intruding on private medical decisions about pregnancy. The person doesn't even have to tell the state they are pregnant.
Casey
A person retains the right to have an abortion, established by Roe v. Wade, but the state’s compelling interest in protecting the life of an unborn child means that it can ban an abortion of a viable fetus under any circumstances except when the health of the mother is at risk. Also, laws restricting abortion should be evaluated under an undue burden standard rather than a strict scrutiny analysis.

Casey
A person retains the right to have an abortion, established by Roe v. Wade, but the state’s compelling interest in protecting the life of an unborn child means that it can ban an abortion of a viable fetus under any circumstances except when the health of the mother is at risk. Also, laws restricting abortion should be evaluated under an undue burden standard rather than a strict scrutiny analysis.
They made that up to appease some of the rightwing. That isn't evidence of anything but another opinion, view.

It is an invasion. Your feelings don't change that. Many women are willing and able to take on that "invasion", accept it because we want a child and have little to no personal problems that we feel are an actual issue for us. That doesn't change that most women do not give their "permission" to be pregnant, have something in their body.
lol an invasion is what we have at the border -unwanted migrants destroying quality of life and gang members and recidivists murdering cops.. I dont see any similarity to a pregnancy

lol an invasion is what we have at the border -unwanted migrants destroying quality of life and gang members and recidivists murdering cops.. I dont see any similarity to a pregnancy
No. An invasion is also when an uninvited entity enters our body and uses our resources for their own, without our permission.

every legal finding is an "opinion" .
Usually grounded in actual recognition of our laws and constitutional rights, not simply "the state has an interest in unborn life" without showing how that would ever go above the right to bodily autonomy. The state doesn't even count or recognize unborn life in other ways such as census, insurance, vehicular passenger counts, or in wrongful death suits. Funny how they won't count an unborn as a life in a wrongful death allegation against them, but claim to have an interest in something they have no right to even know exists.

Usually grounded in actual recognition of our laws and constitutional rights, not simply "the state has an interest in unborn life" without showing how that would ever go above the right to bodily autonomy. The state doesn't even count or recognize unborn life in other ways such as census, insurance, vehicular passenger counts, or in wrongful death suits. Funny how they won't count an unborn as a life in a wrongful death allegation against them, but claim to have an interest in something they have no right to even know exists.
you are confusing personhood with protecting a viable fetus chance for development and birth.
When society looks at pregnancies as an "invasion" there is something seriously ****ed up in that value system

No. An invasion is also when an uninvited entity enters our body and uses our resources for their own, without our permission.
pregnancy=pathogen.. :oops: Someone did the inviting unless it was rape

pregnancy=pathogen.. :oops: Someone did the inviting unless it was rape
Nope. Consent to sex is not an invitation to pregnancy, especially not to remain pregnant. In fact, it is quite rare when we look at the statistics regarding sex that any pregnancy occurs. It is less than 1% of acts of vaginal intercourse result in any pregnancy at all.

you are confusing personhood with protecting a viable fetus chance for development and birth.
When society looks at pregnancies as an "invasion" there is something seriously ****ed up in that value system
There's no place for society in that "protecting" role, as society has no right to know any person is pregnant.

....there should be gestational limits for an actual abortion procedure.... I see no Democrat willing to support any gestational law on abortion, even a reasonable one.
Based on your past postings, I hesitate to agree with anything you post. In this case, however, I am a Democrat willing to support a law allowing abortions for 15-weeks after inception. Or better yet, make it 16 weeks, or four months. I believe that would allow time for a woman -- or a 13-year-old rape victim -- to know she is pregnant, and time to make this serious, personal decision.

This does seem reasonable to me, but being a man, I would defer to any reasonable counterproposal by women.
A Trump pregnancy....
Huh? 🤣 If you're trying to say Trump came up with the idea of 15 weeks, I can only point out the fact that he has proudly claimed to be the victor for the overturning of Roe v. Wade, which caused all of the current strife and confusion.

Casey

What exactly is the state's compelling interest? They never define it. What is it?

What exactly is this "interest." The state has interest in persons. Life is immaterial.

Personhood is what is applicable. A fetus is not a person.
Emotional rhetoric.

Back
Top Bottom