• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

trapping

Are you pro or anti trapping

• pro trapping

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • anti trapping

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • no opinion, stupid thread sawyer

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
It is a skill we may soon need to learn.

I agree with live trapping for relocating nuisance animals. But let's not kid ourselves, as long as there is a market for pelts there will be trappers and farms that raise the animals to kill for profit. Before we get our panties in a bunch, the majority of the meat we eat comes from animals that are bred, raised and killed for just such a purpose. So if you eat meat, you are part of the game.

Hunting and trapping are also important for population control since many of the predators have been eliminated for safety reasons. Then there are species that have no natural predators that can be dangerous and destroy food crops. I have a hunt this weekend for exactly that purpose. The wild hogs are back at a local farm. One of them caught on camera yesterday was a 350 to 400 pound feral pig. Hopefully today I get a chance to sight up my new 30 30 that is specifically for that purpose, although this next fall it will put deer in my freezer too. And yes, we do eat the wild hogs. Done properly they are safe and quite tasty. The guy I'm hunting with has been hunting them for 20 or so years and is quite proficient at clean kills and processing. We use a round that travels at twice the speed of sound and delivers 2000 ft/lbs of force and are trained marksmen taking head shots. The kill is instantaneous.

Most trappers use leg hold traps.

Leg hold traps are live capture traps. To assume that they are not humane is wrong. Modern foot traps (as you call them leghold) do not injure an animal. The wolves captured to restock Yellowstone were foot traps. Otter have been succesfully returned to many states with the help of foot traps. The US and Canada have signed agreements with the EU to eliminate inhumane traps. Those agreements changed what traps are out there for sale. You're living in the past if you think a foot trap is automatically bad.

The reason we call them foot traps is because they are no longer designed to catch and animal by the leg. They are designed to catch an animal across the pad of the foot. The pad of the foot is tough and it is not going to be damaged so that is the optimum place for a trap to hold an animal with little pain.

Back
Top Bottom