• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time is running out

A shroud of darkness is crushing me, but it's close to my time, I guess. Parkinson's, COPD, heart failure, and severe arthritic pain are winning.
Thanks for listening, but it's something we all face eventually. I'll be ok for now.

What is COPD? It is not an acronym I recall seeing before

When I was young I wanted to be rich. I hoped to be rich. I did not expect to be.

I am on a job now that I really did not think existed when I was in my early 20s.

As a family we are in the top 10% of income earners in Canada. Yet I still feel that I am poor like I was when I was growing up. I don't have to worry about money but I still do. Spending $ 100 on shoes for myself is a gut wrenching thing ( while I can do that for my son)

So to be honest I am no where close to be where I thought I would actually be. I don't think I thought that far ahead. 20+ years is a long time to think ahead
Sounds like you're doing more than you realize. I have a nephew who owns a hunting, fishing, camping Lodge in Canada, who's rich. He's always worried about money, though he has a ton of it.

You're probably better off than most. Spending it on the kids is a worthwhile goal. :)

Let's slow this down.

Slow everything down.

Please.

Dude, I've been there - a lot these past few years. Never thought of doing the deed but I've certainly gone to bed and thought I don't care if I don't wake up.

You said it yourself: our time here is short, which is why we need to appreciate it.

I mean if you're wheelchair-bound with ALS or something, okay, I get that. But if it's just mid-life boredom or whatever, find something.
I wish this were something I had control over. I appreciate the encouragement, though.

I wish this were something I had control over. I appreciate the encouragement, though.
Grip, you and you alone have control over your own peace of mind...exercise it...

Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Basically, limited lung capacity from smoking.

You got family nearby? Old, good friends?

I know COPD is a shit sandwich. I know it's cliche but maybe talk to some counselors if you can?

5 years is a helluva long time. 10 is a lifetime. 15 years...an eternity. 20........well..............

The question isnt what we have done its what we will do. That is the magic.

Because of my childhood I had no reason to expect great things. I'm happy to report that every dark cloud that I grew up under has not impacted my current life, my marriage, my children. We truly changed the stars. I figure we have another good 10-20 years to rip this world a new one and we arent waiting.

You got family nearby? Old, good friends?

I know COPD is a shit sandwich. I know it's cliche but maybe talk to some counselors if you can?
No family or friends left, but I'll abide somehow. You guys are awesome and have brought a tear to an old man's heart.

5 years is a helluva long time. 10 is a lifetime. 15 years...an eternity. 20........well..............

The question isnt what we have done its what we will do. That is the magic.

Because of my childhood I had no reason to expect great things. I'm happy to report that every dark cloud that I grew up under has not impacted my current life, my marriage, my children. We truly changed the stars. I figure we have another good 10-20 years to rip this world a new one and we arent waiting.
You are an inspiration, my friend. Thanks! (y)

Yeah, I didn't mean to start a pity party. Yea, though I walk thru the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil.
That's ok cuz we've all been there at one time or another...I'm 70, I get what you're sayin'/feelin' and that's why we are a part of the human family...we help one another whenever we can...

That's ok cuz we've all been there at one time or another...I'm 70, I get what you're sayin'/feelin' and that's why we are a part of the human family...we help one another whenever we can...
Yes, we do. Your kind words are appreciated. I will go on as long as I can.

A shroud of darkness is crushing me, but it's close to my time, I guess. Parkinson's, COPD, heart failure, and severe arthritic pain are winning.
Thanks for listening, but it's something we all face eventually. I'll be ok for now.
I'll be thinking of you, @grip. You're not alone. PM me if you want to talk, bitch, cuss, cry or tell elephant jokes.. (Unless you have someone better to talk to, of course.)

Yeah, I didn't mean to start a pity party. Yea, though I walk thru the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil.
Like you grip, the road of my life is getting narrow, but we just have to pick our lane and keep driving ahead, too late to back up now. Best of luck to you sir, and keep a smile going.

I'll be thinking of you, @grip. You're not alone. PM me if you want to talk, bitch, cuss, cry or tell elephant jokes.. (Unless you have someone better to talk to, of course.)
I saw both my parents die, and their feet turned black from lack of circulation. They were the toughest people I ever knew, and their passing scared the hell out of me.

Thanks for the shoulder to lean on Angel, I may need it. 👼

Like you grip, the road of my life is getting narrow, but we just have to pick our lane and keep driving ahead, too late to back up now. Best of luck to you sir, and keep a smile going.
I will face my maker as brave as I can. 👍

I will face my maker as brave as I can. 👍
My mother passed from COPD and if it is any consolation, it is a painless death, which is all we can really ask for.

@grip, I think everyone who's posted on this thread will agree...

I do have the COPD and it is debilitating but I am working hard to maintain some level of fitness despite it.
A heart attack does varying amounts of damage and I feel lucky but I know I am not as strong as I used to be, so together with the COPD I feel my mortality.
I HAVE to stay strong for my wife. Not only her spouse but also her caregiver, so I have to make it work somehow.

No family or friends left, but I'll abide somehow. You guys are awesome and have brought a tear to an old man's heart.
Make some new friends, you're in Florida so there's opportunities out there.
And of course lean on us. Some of us are decent people.

I do have the COPD and it is debilitating but I am working hard to maintain some level of fitness despite it.
A heart attack does varying amounts of damage and I feel lucky but I know I am not as strong as I used to be, so together with the COPD I feel my mortality.
We're just a couple of old dogs, CS. We'll come out of the other side somehow. COPD is a miserable, limiting disease, I feel for you.

Back
Top Bottom