• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time is running out

I've lived the greater part of my life serving Jehovah and I am content with that...no better life is there...
I disagree, serving humanity would be a better life in my opinion. Why does your omnipotent god need to be served? Doesn't he, she or it have everything already? I don't see the point in 'serving' an invisible entity that does nothing in my opinion. God, for me, is nothing more than an emotional crutch for people.

I am 59 now.
A few notes to the much younger.
That thing you think you have to have... there will be 100s of them. And you will forget nearly all of them, if not all.
The most important things in life, the things you will remember and cherish for the rest of your life. None of them are something you bought.
No one will hurt you more than a person you loved.
Time is everything. And you will waste most of it. By the time you realize this, most of your life is behind you.
You will do wrong. You will be the bad guy. We all are at some point.
At several points in your life, you will possess everything you need to lead a happy life. Chances are, you will lose it every time. Because only hindsight is 20/20, and you were too young and to hard headed and too selfish to know it.

Having said all of this. You can find happiness. It does exist. But unfortunately you have to be smart enough, and unselfish enough to keep it.
I had magnificent moments. Two awesome children, who have now given me two awesome grandchildren. And they are doing so well.
I have had great jobs, bad jobs. I have made a lot of money, and thankfully I saved a portion of it to be able to afford retirement.
But I did not find happiness until I was 51. Oh sure, I had happy times, of course. But they didn't last. For most, they don't.
At 59, I am happy. I have a woman that is so good for me, and I her.
If only... I had possessed the wisdom to appreciate the value of another person 30 years ago.

There is at least about an 80% chance you will do the same. We are human. And we are slow learners.
Well said.

From the day you are born, you are on a clock, till the last day comes. It's a helluva thing. Are you where you thought you'd be? Are you doing what you wanted to do?

I'm close to where I wanted to be, except financially and romantically, but I get the feeling few people are. Overall, it's been a good life, I hope others felt the same.
I wish all my fellow DP'ers a great existence. Have some fun and be of good cheer because the crying will take care of itself.

I'll put a positive word in for you with the boss. 😘

grip, out
Life is good. I have a roof over my head, a bit of money to fall back on if needed and a wonderful woman and we have been sharing each other's lives for twelve years and hopefully many more. Be grateful for what you do have, many have less.

A few years ago I noticed that I was getting out of breath going up stairs or taking the trash to the the road. I was diagnosed with COPD. My neurologist told me I also had early parkinsons.
I worked my entire life to get to this point. I don't have a mortgage, I own property with family on it and they will be fine.
I tell friends that I don't understand how I got here as I have treated my body as a "temple" my whole life. But maybe it was a temple like a Indiana jones movies.

Hoping tonight is a better night...and tomorrow even better

Back
Top Bottom