• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The S&P 500 is up 5 months straight

That's horrible news.

For the Republican party.

The stock market goes up no matter who the president is.

If the market crashes, it is usually due to excesses of capitalism, or because of some other event like Covid.

Even things like the S&L crisis of the 80s wasn't really because of the president. It was because of greed.

The greedy always end up winning though. That is how capitalism works.
Lotta truth to whta you said here.

We

We've already had one MAGA hoping that economy crashes by the end of the month.
There was a thread recently that was 30 pages long or so and poster posted about 100 times. He listed all the reasons why a recession was imminent. Haven't heard from that dude in quite awhile now.

Uhh, S&P 500 in Feb 2020 was 3386. S&P for Feb 2024 was 5096. How is that "almost back to pre-pandemic"?
Dow Jones was around 29000+ in Feb 2020 and is hitting 40000 in March 2024. Again, how is that "almost back to pre-pandemic"?
Inflation.

Yes, it's been very good if you are intelligent enough to save and invest wisely. But inflation has not been so kind to government dependents.
Inflation adjustments to Social Security have been substantial the last 3 years. Lots of people are dependent on SS.

COLA
5.9% in 2021
8.7% in 2022
3.2% in 2023

Reminds me of pre-2008, with HFT, pump-and-dump, and ratings agencies giving high ratings to clients in the same way that lawyers and accountants need to protect those who pay them.

It's like several billionaires becoming richer even during the pandemic.

Good news. It really been bad the past few years, but this run almost has us back up to where we were pre-pandemic.
Even when adjusting for inflation, that is not correct. It is well above 1/2020's value, and has almost fully recovered from the drop in 2022.

S&P 500 Inflation Adjusted.png

Inflation adjustments to Social Security have been substantial the last 3 years. Lots of people are dependent on SS.

COLA
5.9% in 2021
8.7% in 2022
3.2% in 2023
US Consumer Price Index: Purchasing Power Of the Consumer Dollar is at a current level of 32.20, down from 32.40 last month and down from 33.20 one year ago. This is a change of -0.62% from last month and -3.01% from one year ago.

Good news. It really been bad the past few years, but this run almost has us back up to where we were pre-pandemic.
Wow.

1000003763.png

You don't invest much do you? Otherwise this would be common knowledge.

Yes, it's been very good if you are intelligent enough to save and invest wisely. But inflation has not been so kind to government dependents.
You don't care about government dependents. False flag.

Furthermore, are you aware how COLAs are used?

I put everything I have on S&P 500 a bit less than 6 months ago so I can gladly confirm. It's very weird how it keeps going up, but I guess it's in freak mode.

You don't care about government dependents. False flag.

Furthermore, are you aware how COLAs are used?

Yes I do know how colas work. They are after the fact and don't always address the current needs. Example, food was up 5% last year. How would you know what I care about,?

I must confess I swore to not buy another share of stock due to my age but the AI thing drew me back in but only by an amount I can afford to loose. I do believe GE is a very smart buy now but I have owned it for years. The others I bought recently are a roll of the dice.

I put everything I have on S&P 500 a bit less than 6 months ago so I can gladly confirm. It's very weird how it keeps going up, but I guess it's in freak mode.
The S&P is a very smart play for everyone, rookies and vets for long term.

Don’t necessarily agree with the “the stock market is going to go up no matter who the president is” sentiment but I do believe that the POTUS doesn’t control the markets. Stupid presidential moves can impact the markets but no President can control the markets.
“The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.”

Uhh, we're talking S&P 500, not inflation.
Both S&P and Dow Jones indicators have blown away pre-pandemic numbers.
The average portfolio has less purchasing power than it did at the pre-pandemic peak. Hopefully we'll start actually making some real money soon. It's been years.

Reactions: L88
Yes I do know how colas work. They are after the fact and don't always address the current needs. Example, food was up 5% last year. How would you know what I care about,?
It's fake virtue signaling. The disadvantaged are only in your thoughts insofar as to use their plight for opening libs.
Now adjust for inflation.
That's a weighted index 🤣.

It's fake virtue signaling. The disadvantaged are only in your thoughts insofar as to use their plight for opening libs.

That's a weighted index 🤣.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom