• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

The CFR seems to suggest/believe such a relationship exists:

Outsourcing Jobs and Taxes - Council on Foreign Relations

Of course your free to provide support for the antithesis...

fredgraph.png

The graph depicts imports and tax receipts as a percentage of GDP. A simple regression regarding taxation's correlation to imports, in terms of GDP, yields an r value of 0.084. Meaning the level of taxation has a limited impact (at best!) on the level of imports. But don't be sad, i was able to find a most interesting correlation:

fredgraph.png

This graph depicts the effective corporate tax rate in percentage terms along with the total number of manufacturing jobs, in millions.
You see, as the rate of corporate taxation decreases, so does the level of manufacturing jobs. The correlation coefficient for these values is 0.92.

Perhaps a re-read of your own source would do some good.

A value of 1.0 is considered a perfect relation. It should be noted that while correlation does not necessarily imply causation, causation does require correlation.

fredgraph.png

This graph depicts the effective corporate tax rate in percentage terms along with the total number of manufacturing jobs, in millions.
You see, as the rate of corporate taxation decreases, so does the level of manufacturing jobs. The correlation coefficient for these values is 0.92.

This graph is quite telling, thank you for this. Yes by averaging the taxation/manufacturing jobs to reach the coefficient you did it an accurate global assessment over a long period(~25yrs). Closer examination of this tax/jobs relationship reveals that when taxation begins to increase significantly ~1996 then peaks in 2000 there is a corresponding significant decline in employees. This again occurs ~2006. Also note during the periods where the taxation line is generally horizontal/downward (~1990-1997 & ~2003-2005) the employment line is generally horizontal/upward.

But as you correctly state 'correlation does not necessarily imply causation' so frankly I'm unsure of your point. BTW, I merely advanced an opinion by the CFR who studies this much more deeply than I.

Back
Top Bottom