• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The End of Blind Faith?

I agree completely- it just seems that few people have the capacity for both to be functioning in concert, without one or the other dominating.

I can't say that I see this, only "some." Maybe I just know a lot of people who have good sense who are also people of faith.

There are about 700,000 words in the Bible. The sheer volume is what makes it so unlikely, in my opinion, that meaning has been lost in translation. The central motifs repeat themselves often and are explored in a colorful variety of stories, lessons, and so forth.

I'm no Biblical scholar, but I think 66 years +/- stand between Christ's Crucifixion and Resurrection and NT "written Word." In the breach stood the Living Word, the people who witnessed the Resurrection. The living Church is what I mean. Something happened that caused the Word to spread--for people to become martyrs to their faith--without the benefit of widespread literacy and without the written Word.

What exactly is "Blind" faith in the context in which it is being used?

That's a good question and one I've wondered myself. Thanks for asking.

Blind faith in something is hardwired into our brains. Everyone does it, including you.
That kind of thinking still won't bring religious faith and Creationism up to the credibility level of science and rationality.

That kind of thinking still won't bring religious faith and Creationism up to the credibility level of science and rationality.

Where did I make any claims concerning the validity of religious faith and Creationism? Kinda smarmy, this.

Christian faith is the requirement to believe in things hoped for and not seen. It follows that if something can be seen, then faith is unnecessary, hence blind faith.

Christian faith is the requirement to believe in things hoped for and not seen. It follows that if something can be seen, then faith is unnecessary, hence blind faith.

So what is the difference between faith and blind faith if that is your definition?

I found that definition at answersingenesis. Ask them.

Where did I make any claims concerning the validity of religious faith and Creationism? Kinda smarmy, this.
Nothing "smarmy" about it. I've seen Creationists use very similar arguments. I think it's interesting your response would be so similar if your intent wasn't similar, whatever your irrational belief may be. :shrug:

I found that definition at answersingenesis. Ask them.
I've always considered blind faith to be belief in something even when there is good and/or overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Nothing "smarmy" about it. I've seen Creationists use very similar arguments. I think it's interesting your response would be so similar if your intent wasn't similar, whatever your irrational belief may be. :shrug:

My intent is, as always, to disabuse those who think their viewponts aren't based on the arbitrary and irrational, i.e., some kind of faith. And if you think anything matters, it is indeed based on something irrational, often, yes, blind.

Last edited:
My intent is, as always, to disabuse those who think their viewponts aren't based on the irrational, i.e., some kind of faith. And if you think anything matters, it is indeed based on something irrational, often, yes, blind.
I believe in science but I don't believe it's blind faith, just faith. To me, that's what makes science different.

I believe in science but I don't believe it's blind faith, just faith. To me, that's what makes science different.

You have things you have blind faith in. What those are, only you can say. But there are things you haven't questioned.

Yet science openly admits that not all can be explained, so at best you can rely on a SWAG, which still boils down to faith (theory subject to change if later disproved). ;)

Science doesn't tell you what's right or wrong, so what do you use for determining that?

Yet science openly admits that not all can be explained, so at best you can rely on a SWAG, which still boils down to faith (theory subject to change if later disproved). ;)
It's faith, sure, just not blind faith. :)

You have things you have blind faith in. What those are, only you can say. But there are things you haven't questioned.
I question almost everything but, you're right, there are some things I don't question:

1. Every organism has the right to attempt to survive.
2. Every organism has the right to attempt to reproduce.

I don't question either of those, what I call, Natural Laws.

Science doesn't tell you what's right or wrong, so what do you use for determining that?
Right and wrong are decided by society, not the individual, except as noted in the previous post.

It's faith, sure, just not blind faith. :)

I agree somewhat, but much of climate change is said to be proven to be (defintely, mostly, somewhat or maybe) man caused even if nearly total scientific disagreement exists on just how much and in exactly what way(s). Sometimes science seems to pose as nearly as many questions as it provides definite answers to. ;)

A life of faith however means simply if you don't mind then it doesn't matter, its all in Gods hands.

Right and wrong are decided by society, not the individual, except as noted in the previous post.

You don't have a personal view of right and wrong? Hmmmm. Or do you never question "society's" judgment on this matter?

But it's still the same question -- how does society determine it? Because it isn't science. So what is it?

I question almost everything but, you're right, there are some things I don't question:

1. Every organism has the right to attempt to survive.
2. Every organism has the right to attempt to reproduce.

I don't question either of those, what I call, Natural Laws.

Then this is your faith, because it isn't science. It's not based on rationality, and it's arbitrary.

It's no different at its core from any other religion; it differs only in the details.

That being such, I'm not sure what we're arguing about, other than your mistaken assumption that I'm trying to prove a religion, especially something as specific as "Christianity" or "Creationism."

I agree somewhat, but much of climate change is said to be proven to be (defintely, mostly, somewhat or maybe) man caused even if nearly total scientific disagreement exists on just how much and in exactly what way(s). Sometimes science seems to pose as nearly as many questions as it provides definite answers to. ;)

A life of faith however means simply if you don't mind then it doesn't matter, its all in Gods hands.
As I've just taken great pains to point out in another thread, the interpretations and conclusions of scientists are usually proved wrong or incomplete at some point. Newton wasn't exactly wrong, we still use his formulas today, but his views were incomplete. Einstein will no doubt suffer the same some day.

Science is almost never an ending. There are almost always more unknowns uncovered by new discoveries than are explained by them. :)

Last edited:
You don't have a personal view of right and wrong? Hmmmm. Or do you never question "society's" judgment on this matter?

But it's still the same question -- how does society determine it? Because it isn't science. So what is it?
Society is just another organism operating under the same laws described above. I supposed if an historian were to take a good look they would discover that efficiency plays a big role, just as it does in all behavior, human or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom