• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Bible is Completely Immoral[W:197]

I hear Christians discuss how atheists don't have a strong basis in morality yet when we look at the bible there are a lot of problems. I will be providing some sample verses demonstrating some pretty shocking things in the bible. In most cases there are multiple examples but I only provide one for each for brevity.

Divorce:
Matthew 19
9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife [or husband], except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Women silent in churches:
1 Corinthians 14
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Submissive wives:
Ephesians 5
22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body.

Rape:
Deuteronomy 21:10-14
When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion.

Abortion:
Numbers 5
and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure—
15 then he is to take his wife to the priest....
[The woman is made to drink some bitter water that brings a curse if she is unfaithful, and a sacrifice is made....]
27 If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse.

Killing of Homosexuals in the Old Testament:
Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Homosexuals go to hell in New Testament:
1 Corinthians 6
9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men.

We're in the section that calls for philosophical discussion, which means when we refer to God, we refer to the
OMNICIENT, SUPREME BEING that created the universe.

Such One does not answer to anyone. You have to at least, understand that concept of GOD.

What more, you've got to have a reasonable amount of understanding of whatever it is you talk about - in this case, the Bible.
Scholars study the Bible. Christians study the Bible.

Your OP is a dead giveaway that you don't understand anything about the Bible at all. Of course, being a non-believer, that's understandable.

Last edited:
Oh. This thread is about the bible, not opinions. If you don't like the b8ble, don't read it, just set it down and walk away.

It is an opinion on the value of reading the bible, and that the suggestion one remain ignorant of it because they "don't like it" is terribly bad advice. Do you have this much difficulty understanding clear, topical posts in general?

It is an opinion on the value of reading the bible, and that the suggestion one remain ignorant of it because they "don't like it" is terribly bad advice. Do you have this much difficulty understanding clear, topical posts in general?
This thread isn't abut advice or opinions. Like my posts, if you don't like the bible, don't read it, no one forces you too.

Re: The Bible is Completely Immoral

Did any of these people claim to be the son of god? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nice try, but if you can't even provide empirical evidence for those guys, much less a RESURRECTED person. And that's what's disingenuous about your demand for EE for Jesus is that there can't possibly be any EE for a resurrected person. They're gone! So your demand is nonsensical and self-serving.

Nice try, but if you can't even provide empirical evidence for those guys, much less a RESURRECTED person. And that's what's disingenuous about your demand for EE for Jesus is that there can't possibly be any EE for a resurrected person. They're gone! So your demand is nonsensical and self-serving.

Ok, then prove Muhammad didn't meet god in a cave that night. According to you, we have to believe any nonsense people tell us happened and evidence doesn't matter.

Ok, then prove Muhammad didn't meet god in a cave that night. According to you, we have to believe any nonsense people tell us happened and evidence doesn't matter.

Hey - believe whatever you want. That's what you're doing anyway.

This thread isn't abut advice or opinions. Like my posts, if you don't like the bible, don't read it, no one forces you too.

That is your opinion.

We are forced to read and hear it all over. In courthouses... you name it. Now dismiss your own opinion.

The FORUM exists to give OPINIONS on topics. This topic is the bible. We are here to WAGE opinions as an overall function of participation ON thread topics... such as the bible. I guess you are just a time vampire... I am assuming you understand how stuff works... and are just obstinately arguing for sport. If we did not profess our opinions on this thread, we would simply be quoting scripture.

This is an example of your confusion.

First of all, what do you think the term, "anti-Christ," means? Think what "anti" means.
According to Merriam-Webster, anti means, opposed to : against

Someone against or opposed to abortion, as an example, is called an "anti-abortion."

Now, back to Christ....

So denying something (Christ) means that you are against it? I can deny that McDonalds is a good place to eat without being anti-McDonalds. I can deny that Christ is God without being Anti-Christ.

Just look at atheists who are busy trying to make out that Jesus is not what He claimed to be. Just look at you now - you even gone to great lengths and started this thread! For what? To show Christ's preachings aren't true.:lol:

So, what does that make you, if you refer to the official definition of "anti?" An anti-Christ! Someone who's opposed to what Christ had preached.

You could reasonably argue that I am anti-Christ, but not all people who deny him.

Now, what do you mean by the term, "demonized?" Why do you use the term that's derived from the Bible?
Maybe you don't believe in Christ....but perhaps you believe in demons? :lol:

If you don't believe in demons....."demon" shouldn't mean anything to you, right?
But obviously, you associate "demon" to the way Christians regard demons.....evil. So we go to the next question:

I think that the bible is a great literary work that happens to be fiction. I don't mind if a few of its mythological terms have found their way into everyday expression. You also didn't address the fact that this verse called people who denied Christ liars. That is a pretty strong claim.

Most importantly, why do you care at all what Christians think about you if you don't even believe any of that stuff. Why does it bother you?
That would be like me getting bothered by someone whom I know is hallucinating, or mentally ill, calling me names.

Well?

I posted this thread because I like going into a debate I can easily win once in a while. Believe me it is much easier than those technical global warming debates. However, I get more of a sense of accomplishment from those debates. For me, its all for fun.

I have an alternative version of this verse. What if the Obama administration said:
"All people who deny that Obama is a good president are anti-Obama and are liars."

Would this be an example of demonization?

You're mixing up the Laws of Moses, and the Old Testament with Christianity of today.

Just because God changed the rules around 33 AD doesn't mean that his previous actions cannot be critically evaluated. The bible still claims he did them.

The Old Testament is simply a history of Christianity - there were reasons why God had sanctioned those things you've quoted from the Old Testament. You have to understand that before you can judge it.

Then tell me what they are.

We're in the section that calls for philosophical discussion, which means when we refer to God, we refer to the
OMNICIENT, SUPREME BEING that created the universe.

Such One does not answer to anyone. You have to at least, understand that concept of GOD.

No we are referring to a God who Christians claim exists and is the all-perfect creator of the universe. You cannot defend God's claimed actions by claiming that he is all-perfect without first showing that he is all-perfect.

What more, you've got to have a reasonable amount of understanding of whatever it is you talk about - in this case, the Bible.
Scholars study the Bible. Christians study the Bible.

Your OP is a dead giveaway that you don't understand anything about the Bible at all. Of course, being a non-believer, that's understandable.

If I am such an idiot at interpreting the bible then it should be easy for you to tell me exactly how I misinterpreted it. I am waiting.

Last edited:

I have massive evidence on my side. You've got nothing but knee-jerk denials.

If you say so. Now then what about that world wide flood, ark and two of every kind?

That is your opinion.
No, that is my argument, learn the difference.

We are forced to read and hear it all over. In courthouses... you name it. Now dismiss your own opinion.

The FORUM exists to give OPINIONS on topics. This topic is the bible. We are here to WAGE opinions as an overall function of participation ON thread topics... such as the bible. I guess you are just a time vampire... I am assuming you understand how stuff works... and are just obstinately arguing for sport. If we did not profess our opinions on this thread, we would simply be quoting scripture.
This thread is not about court opinions on personal opinions. This thread is about the bible. If one believes the bible (or any book) to be full of lies and hate, one is welcome to not read it.

If you say so. Now then what about that world wide flood, ark and two of every kind?
Remember that's 2 of every kind, not 2 of everything.

The bible doesn't describe a global flood anyway.

The Bible is a mixture of lies, truths and errors.

A lot of the times though, when people are discussing a Bible verse, they don't seem to understand that the verse has often been taken out of context, and some are either being entirely disingenuous, or are simply honestly mistaken.

And most people fall for it because they have not actually read the verse in its entire context.

With works like the Bible, context is everything, and when verses are in their entire context, then that changes the meaning.

However sometimes there are verses that are stand alone as well.

For example, on of the most common verse that is misused in this way is spare the rod, spoil the children. This is actually the worse because they are taking a singular section of a sentence. When you read the sentence you realize that it is actually critical of people who spoil the child, and encourages discipline, not abuse.

The Bible is a mixture of lies, truths and errors.

A lot of the times though, when people are discussing a Bible verse, they don't seem to understand that the verse has often been taken out of context, and some are either being entirely disingenuous, or are simply honestly mistaken.

And most people fall for it because they have not actually read the verse in its entire context.

With works like the Bible, context is everything, and when verses are in their entire context, then that changes the meaning.

However sometimes there are verses that are stand alone as well.

For example, on of the most common verse that is misused in this way is spare the rod, spoil the children. This is actually the worse because they are taking a singular section of a sentence. When you read the sentence you realize that it is actually critical of people who spoil the child, and encourages discipline, not abuse.

Here is a quote from the Bible that I have often been told has been taken out of context.

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen."

Leviticus 25:44ff

I've asked many, many people to put it into a context that makes it say something other than what it VERY CLEARLY says...and I have never had a taker. Or at least, never a taker who was able to do so.

Can you come up with anything, AH?

Can anyone?

So denying something (Christ) means that you are against it? I can deny that McDonalds is a good place to eat without being anti-McDonalds. I can deny that Christ is God without being Anti-Christ.

Borrowing from Csbrown, I suppose you're doing the mental gymnastics now....:lol:

You're not merely denying with your posts, especially this thread, aren't you?
Using McDonald's as an analogy for the Bible - you're not merely denying McDonald's is a good place to eat.
You're opposing their ad, and saying McDonalds is full of crap.

Anyway, who would spend time writing an article saying all that about McDonald's if they aren't anti-McDonald's to begin with?

Furthermore, what does it even mean to "deny" McDonald's is a good place to eat?
How do you wiggle out of "denying" something is good without claiming it's not good?
Holy Molly....now, this is the hard impact aerobics thrown at you. :mrgreen:

tosca1: I like McDonald's. It's a good place to eat.

Distraff: No, it's not a good place to eat.

What's that? Isn't that negating what I'd claimed? You're opposing what I'd claimed!

Just your title alone says it all.

You're negating.:shrug:

You're an anti-Bible. That means, you're an anti-Christ, too.

Last edited:

The bible is COMPLETELY immoral?

Thou shall not commit murder is immoral?

Mehehehehehee, Rekt m8. Perhaps mostly is the word you're looking for.

Hypocracy is immoral.

Here is a quote from the Bible that I have often been told has been taken out of context.

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen."

Leviticus 25:44ff

I've asked many, many people to put it into a context that makes it say something other than what it VERY CLEARLY says...and I have never had a taker. Or at least, never a taker who was able to do so.

Can you come up with anything, AH?

What's your question about it? Exactly?

You are welcome to create the same reproductive process, but here's the catch; you can't use any of God's elements to do it. You have to invent those first too. No run along and get busy.

Wait....intellectual property rights for god's version of reproduction?

That's not exactly in line with sharing...

I have massive evidence on my side. You've got nothing but knee-jerk denials.

For all that 'massive evidence' on your side, it's a shame that nothing you present is actually, well, evidence. It is declaration, speculation, and statements of faith, but , not evidence.

Perhaps you don't understand what evidence is.

For all that 'massive evidence' on your side, it's a shame that nothing you present is actually, well, evidence....

That's as a pathetic, self-serving, nonsensical, and incorrect statement as you've made in years, Ramoss. And it's also exactly what I would expect from someone who automatically denies each and every piece of evidence and argument presented in favor of Christianity.

Your bias is obvious and doesn't serve you or the truth well.

That's as a pathetic, self-serving, nonsensical, and incorrect statement as you've made in years, Ramoss. And it's also exactly what I would expect from someone who automatically denies each and every piece of evidence and argument presented in favor of Christianity.

Your bias is obvious and doesn't serve you or the truth well.

How very very amusing. You keep on doing what is known as 'projection'. You do know what 'projection' is don't you?

Psychological projection, also known as blame shifting, is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

What's your question about it? Exactly?

Read my post again, Tosca...or ask someone to help you with it.

I asked my question...EXACTLY.

Read my post again, Tosca...or ask someone to help you with it.

I asked my question...EXACTLY.

I've read the quoted Bible verse - what about it? What context would you want it to be taken other than what it clearly says?

What's your point?

Back
Top Bottom