• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Bee-pocalypse Was Another Climate Change False Alarm

Here's another from Nature: Climate change crushes bee populations

When will you true believers realize how stupid the AGW scare is?

Yeah. Those stupid scientists writing papers on real phenomena .

I do find it interesting that you dug up a paper that basically shows the opposite of what the OP was arguing, and then dismissed it out of hand as 'stupid'.

Yeah. Those stupid scientists writing papers on real phenomena .

I do find it interesting that you dug up a paper that basically shows the opposite of what the OP was arguing, and then dismissed it out of hand as 'stupid'.
When Scientist do not know the cause of something, they speculate, blaming AGW has large grate dollars attached.
While the new study may not bring in as much money, it does actually sound like a smoking gun, in regards to
colony collapse disorder.
PLOS ONE: A New Threat to Honey Bees, the Parasitic Phorid Fly Apocephalus borealis

I find it very difficult to comprehend how somebody can't find global warming as factual considering 99% of scientists support it. I mean greenhouse gasses is like middle-school science stuff, yet somehow people such as yourself rather be convinced it's a leftist conspiracy by big oil like the 1% of scientists who've actually been paid off to support it.

I just can't see why though. What possibly do environmentalists have to gain by falsifying this? Surely by not, they are stopping hazardous emissions, which is an advantage to you as much as anybody

It's a plague to the mind, but reading over your other stuff you also seem to think oil is limitless, so at the very least it's unsurprising.

I don't believe there's a conspiracy. I believe the greenhouse gas theory of global warming is a fine achievement of 19th century science. Like much 19th century science, it has been superseded (or is in the process of being superseded) by science that was not even imagined in the 19th century.

Oh well if Jack Hays says so

Actually, the USDA says so.

Now in a new set of data from USDA, publicized in a story from the Washington Post today, it turns out bee colonies are now at a 20 year high, and that beekeepers have basically solved the problem on their own.

Yet another false attribution of a problem to climate change bites the dust. There's probably a Ph.D. dissertation waiting to be written about the life cycle of spurious alarmist claims about this or that alleged looming catastrophe blamed on climate change.

Climate News
Bee-pocaclypse called off, bees doing OK, global warming was never a cause

Back in 2007, Wired Magazine mused:

It’s only slightly less ridiculous than the other bee killing theory that year – cell phones.

It’s only slightly less ridiculous than the other bee killing theory that year – cell phones.
I published a story about the loony idea that was proposed by some researcher in Europe about “cell phone radiation may be killing bees”. I pointed out that it was garbage then, as it is now.
In 2012, I published a post saying global warming is off the hook for the issue, due to the discovery of a phorid fly parasite that had been spreading through colonies due in part to the commercial trucking of bees on demand.
Now in a new set of data from USDA, publicized in a story from the Washington Post today, it turns out bee colonies are now at a 20 year high, and that beekeepers have basically solved the problem on their own. . . .

Anyone who followed the bee demise (which is real) knows that most scientists thought it was a disease of some sort, or something along those lines. Although scientists never said they knew for sure. They have been trying to determine what causes it. It could be global warming. That hasn't been ruled out, I think. But the consensus so far is disease, interference by other bees (killer bees), things of that sort. Of course, global warming has an impact on all creatures of the earth, including humans.

We didn't have winter this year in Dallas, TX. Warmest winter on record, I think. No winter. Global warming/climate change, which causes these heretofore unseen erratic climate issues.

When Scientist do not know the cause of something, they speculate, blaming AGW has large grate dollars attached.
While the new study may not bring in as much money, it does actually sound like a smoking gun, in regards to
colony collapse disorder.
PLOS ONE: A New Threat to Honey Bees, the Parasitic Phorid Fly Apocephalus borealis

So we know that the Earth is getting warmer.

We know many populations of plants and animals in the Northern Hemisphere are expanding their species ranges North and those ranges are declining in the South.

This study shows that bees ranges are not progressing North, and are thinning in the Southern end of their ranges, thus posing a threat to their populations.

You say that they are only doing this because they get grant money and it's 'speculation'!

Anyone who followed the bee demise (which is real) knows that most scientists thought it was a disease of some sort, or something along those lines. Although scientists never said they knew for sure. They have been trying to determine what causes it. It could be global warming. That hasn't been ruled out, I think. But the consensus so far is disease, interference by other bees (killer bees), things of that sort. Of course, global warming has an impact on all creatures of the earth, including humans.

We didn't have winter this year in Dallas, TX. Warmest winter on record, I think. No winter. Global warming/climate change, which causes these heretofore unseen erratic climate issues.

Greetings, JumpinJack. :2wave:

IIRC, we were talking about this at least three years ago on another site I was on. The USDA at that time was reasonably sure at that time that it was caused by the new herbicides and pesticides that people were using that was causing the demise of the honeybee colonies, which was causing financial problems for bee-keepers. Not much was said about the bumblebee population since they don't provide honey for humans, but are valuable pollinators for food crops. I've been a gardener for years, but I haven't yet decided to become a bee keeper, but who knows? :mrgreen:

If we have some beekeepers on DP, maybe they can offer some suggestions...

Last edited:
just went in my yard to make sure, dumped a cup of water on one of my flower bushes, half a dozen bees flew out. good thing they're not the GMO killer bees, or i might've been in trouble.

I don't believe there's a conspiracy. I believe the greenhouse gas theory of global warming is a fine achievement of 19th century science. Like much 19th century science, it has been superseded (or is in the process of being superseded) by science that was not even imagined in the 19th century.

So you even believe in greenhouse gasses....I guess the amount we pump out isn't enough to cause warming though. :lol:
Meanwhile the planet keeps getting hotter (hottest January ever recorded), ice caps keep melting, and we are just imagining all this stuff up - Or maybe you think the disproportionate heating is 'natural'. I guess the pollutants from the emissions that endanger tons of people are 'natural' too.

I'd honestly like to hear your theory on this unlimited oil and how we shouldn't pursue other avenues for energy whether global warming exists or not.

So you even believe in greenhouse gasses....I guess the amount we pump out isn't enough to cause warming though. :lol:
Meanwhile the planet keeps getting hotter (hottest January ever recorded), ice caps keep melting, and we are just imagining all this stuff up - Or maybe you think the disproportionate heating is 'natural'. I guess the pollutants from the emissions that endanger tons of people are 'natural' too.

I'd honestly like to hear your theory on this unlimited oil and how we shouldn't pursue other avenues for energy whether global warming exists or not.

I think his theory is that if we pursue alternate avenues, the Middle East will become just another tribal area we don't care about and his stock investments in defense contractors will plummet.

[h=3]How Much Oil Does the World Have Left? - Forbes[/h]www.forbes.com/sites/.../how-much-oil-does-the-world-have-left/

Forbes

Jun 25, 2015 - Today, the world is swimming in oil, and prices have been sliced in half ... The 1P estimate is an estimate of proven reserves, what is likely to be ...

Did exploding stars help life on Earth to thrive? - Royal ...

https://www.ras.org.uk/.../...

Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society

Apr 24, 2012 - The Royal Astronomical Society, encourages and promotes the study of ... According to Henrik Svensmark, the rate of nearby supernovae strongly ... of geological and astronomical data and considered the proximity of the Sun ...

". . . The data also support the idea of a long-term link between cosmic rays and climate, with these climatic changes underlying the biological effects. And compared with the temperature variations seen on short timescales as a consequence of the Sun's influence on the influx of cosmic rays, the heating and cooling of the Earth due to cosmic rays varying with the prevailing supernova rate have been far larger. . . ."

Royal Astronomical Society | Calder's Updateshttps://calderup.wordpress.com/tag/royal-astronomical-society/
Apr 24, 2012 - Today the Royal Astronomical Society in London publishes (online) Henrik Svensmark's latest paper entitled “Evidence of nearby supernovae ...

". . . In Svensmark’s new paper an equally concise theory, that cosmic rays from exploded stars cool the world by increasing the cloud cover, leads to amazing explanations, not least for why evolution sometimes was rampant and sometimes faltered. In both senses of the word, this is a stellar revision of the story of life.

Here are the main results:
The long-term diversity of life in the sea depends on the sea-level set by plate tectonics and the local supernova rate set by the astrophysics, and on virtually nothing else.
The long-term primary productivity of life in the sea – the net growth of photosynthetic microbes – depends on the supernova rate, and on virtually nothing else.
Exceptionally close supernovae account for short-lived falls in sea-level during the past 500 million years, long-known to geophysicists but never convincingly explained..
As the geological and astronomical records converge, the match between climate and supernova rates gets better and better, with high rates bringing icy times.

Presented with due caution as well as with consideration for the feelings of experts in several fields of research, a story unfolds in which everything meshes like well-made clockwork. Anyone who wishes to pooh-pooh any piece of it by saying “correlation is not necessarily causality” should offer some other mega-theory that says why several mutually supportive coincidences arise between events in our galactic neighbourhood and living conditions on the Earth.

An amusing point is that Svensmark stands the currently popular carbon dioxide story on its head. Some geoscientists want to blame the drastic alternations of hot and icy conditions during the past 500 million years on increases and decreases in carbon dioxide, which they explain in intricate ways. For Svensmark, the changes driven by the stars govern the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. Climate and life control CO2, not the other way around. . . . "

I think his theory is that if we pursue alternate avenues, the Middle East will become just another tribal area we don't care about and his stock investments in defense contractors will plummet.

Or the good old oil barons who can only dig, pollute, and politic don't have the know how to enter a tech-industry.

Yet another false attribution of a problem to climate change bites the dust. There's probably a Ph.D. dissertation waiting to be written about the life cycle of spurious alarmist claims about this or that alleged looming catastrophe blamed on climate change.

Climate News
Bee-pocaclypse called off, bees doing OK, global warming was never a cause

Back in 2007, Wired Magazine mused:

I published a story about the loony idea that was proposed by some researcher in Europe about “cell phone radiation may be killing bees”. I pointed out that it was garbage then, as it is now.
In 2012, I published a post saying global warming is off the hook for the issue, due to the discovery of a phorid fly parasite that had been spreading through colonies due in part to the commercial trucking of bees on demand.
Now in a new set of data from USDA, publicized in a story from the Washington Post today, it turns out bee colonies are now at a 20 year high, and that beekeepers have basically solved the problem on their own. . . .

Oh, look- someone was wrong 9 years ago! I guess climate change really is bogus!
Just wondering- are you the only one who reads that blog? Even if you're not, I bet you're the only one who takes it seriously.

Middle East influence on the oil industry is already on the wane and will continue to diminish over time. US interest in the region is increasingly focused on its role as a hatchery for lethal terrorist threats. That will continue until the centuries-long decline of socio-economic institutions in the Muslim world is arrested and, one hopes, reversed.

Last edited:
Oh, look- someone was wrong 9 years ago! I guess climate change really is bogus!
Just wondering- are you the only one who reads that blog? Even if you're not, I bet you're the only one who takes it seriously.

[h=1]Site stats[/h]
"...the world's most viewed climate website"

Did exploding stars help life on Earth to thrive? - Royal ...

https://www.ras.org.uk/.../...

Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society

Apr 24, 2012 - The Royal Astronomical Society, encourages and promotes the study of ... According to Henrik Svensmark, the rate of nearby supernovae strongly ... of geological and astronomical data and considered the proximity of the Sun ...

". . . The data also support the idea of a long-term link between cosmic rays and climate, with these climatic changes underlying the biological effects. And compared with the temperature variations seen on short timescales as a consequence of the Sun's influence on the influx of cosmic rays, the heating and cooling of the Earth due to cosmic rays varying with the prevailing supernova rate have been far larger. . . ."

Royal Astronomical Society | Calder's Updateshttps://calderup.wordpress.com/tag/royal-astronomical-society/
Apr 24, 2012 - Today the Royal Astronomical Society in London publishes (online) Henrik Svensmark's latest paper entitled “Evidence of nearby supernovae ...

". . . In Svensmark’s new paper an equally concise theory, that cosmic rays from exploded stars cool the world by increasing the cloud cover, leads to amazing explanations, not least for why evolution sometimes was rampant and sometimes faltered. In both senses of the word, this is a stellar revision of the story of life.

Here are the main results:
The long-term diversity of life in the sea depends on the sea-level set by plate tectonics and the local supernova rate set by the astrophysics, and on virtually nothing else.
The long-term primary productivity of life in the sea – the net growth of photosynthetic microbes – depends on the supernova rate, and on virtually nothing else.
Exceptionally close supernovae account for short-lived falls in sea-level during the past 500 million years, long-known to geophysicists but never convincingly explained..
As the geological and astronomical records converge, the match between climate and supernova rates gets better and better, with high rates bringing icy times.

Presented with due caution as well as with consideration for the feelings of experts in several fields of research, a story unfolds in which everything meshes like well-made clockwork. Anyone who wishes to pooh-pooh any piece of it by saying “correlation is not necessarily causality” should offer some other mega-theory that says why several mutually supportive coincidences arise between events in our galactic neighbourhood and living conditions on the Earth.

An amusing point is that Svensmark stands the currently popular carbon dioxide story on its head. Some geoscientists want to blame the drastic alternations of hot and icy conditions during the past 500 million years on increases and decreases in carbon dioxide, which they explain in intricate ways. For Svensmark, the changes driven by the stars govern the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. Climate and life control CO2, not the other way around. . . . "

:lol: I thought you already said CO2 can control climate though in the form of greenhouse gasses? It does, well, in greenhouses. :lol:

This is quite funny, I wouldn't put some sources down too, but I don't feel like writing a novel.

:lol: I thought you already said CO2 can control climate though in the form of greenhouse gasses? It does, well, in greenhouses. :lol:

This is quite funny, I wouldn't put some sources down too, but I don't feel like writing a novel.

Please cite the post where you claim I said greenhouse gases control climate.

Middle East influence on the oil industry is already on the wane and will continue to diminish over time. US interest in the region is increasingly focused on its role as a hatchery for lethal terrorist threats. That will continue until the centuries-long decline of socio-economic institutions in the Muslim world is arrested and, one hopes, reversed.

Sure. The Middle East hardly has anything to do with oil.

Keep telling yourself that. And the terrorism directed at the West has no connection either. Sure.

[h=3]How Much Oil Does the World Have Left? - Forbes[/h]www.forbes.com/sites/.../how-much-oil-does-the-world-have-left/

Forbes

Jun 25, 2015 - Today, the world is swimming in oil, and prices have been sliced in half ... The 1P estimate is an estimate of proven reserves, what is likely to be ...

No where there did it say how much oil is left in the world, just that they have are pumping more then they use - which is a lot and has no factor on how much more oil we havn't already consumed.

What it did show is how much we've consumed, combined with how much we have consumed and how much we will consume, one doesn't even need to look at a study to how much oil to infer there isn't much left. That it's limited.

How Does Oil Form?

It takes millions of years to form oil, we are not replenishing it at rates we are using it.

Sure. The Middle East hardly has anything to do with oil.

Keep telling yourself that. And the terrorism directed at the West has no connection either. Sure.

I said ME importance in oil is declining, not that it's finished. And ME terrorism directed at the West has roots older than the oil industry.

Back
Top Bottom