• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Texas Voter-Identification Law Is Blocked by Justice Department as Biased

So you would sacrifice one of your values (race not being a concern) so that you could have the rest. I thought you said you would rather be dead than to sacrifice your values? This is what I mean when I talk to you about consistency. I just don't see it with you.

If that were absolutely necessary, I would. However, as I've already pointed out several times I don't believe it needs to be an all or nothing position. I believe that we can correct the singular error of that time and leave the rest intact without too much difficulty. It's you folks who are suggesting that it has to be an all or none endeavour.

Not sure which part you are referring to, I thought I responded to all your comments to me. Please let me know which one and I will.

The part about knowing that I would have been dead by the age of 5 and being perfectly happy with that if it meant getting society back on track. I had a Grand Mal seizure at age 4 that left me paralyzed on the left side of my body for 18 hours. In that day and age it would likely have been a fatal issue in relatively short order, if not immediately.

If that were absolutely necessary, I would. However, as I've already pointed out several times I don't believe it needs to be an all or nothing position. I believe that we can correct the singular error of that time and leave the rest intact without too much difficulty. It's you folks who are suggesting that it has to be an all or none endeavour.

No, I'm suggesting that if you say you want it how it was 100 years ago exactly it would be an all thing. I didn't make the claim I want things the way they were 100 years ago. You pick and choose which things 100 years ago you want.

If I were to pick and choose, I would choose the neighborly attitude that has been lost. I would choose buisinesses working towards what's best for America and not just the almighty dollar. I happen to think women are just as good as men intellectually so I would choose not to disenfranchise them as you would.

I know this is personal and you are free to just tell me it's none of my buisness and I won't pry anymore, but does your girlfriend know you have the attitude that men are superior to women and they belong in the home and not the workplace?

The part about knowing that I would have been dead by the age of 5 and being perfectly happy with that if it meant getting society back on track. I had a Grand Mal seizure at age 4 that left me paralyzed on the left side of my body for 18 hours. In that day and age it would likely have been a fatal issue in relatively short order, if not immediately.

Honestly I thought it was something like that, so I didn't feel the need to comment. I would be willing to die to get the utopia I feel is right as well.

No, I'm suggesting that if you say you want it how it was 100 years ago exactly it would be an all thing. I didn't make the claim I want things the way they were 100 years ago. You pick and choose which things 100 years ago you want.

Would it make you happier for me to say I want things much closer to the way they were 100 years ago? Would that semantic distinction make a difference to you?

I know this is personal and you are free to just tell me it's none of my buisness and I won't pry anymore, but does your girlfriend know you have the attitude that men are superior to women and they belong in the home and not the workplace?

Yes she does. Of course she never graduated high school and really hasn't ever had a significant job. She's been living primarily off of SSDI due to some physical and emotional issues from her past that are not my place to discuss. We're hoping to get her off of that in the near future.

Honestly I thought it was something like that, so I didn't feel the need to comment. I would be willing to die to get the utopia I feel is right as well.

Okay. I was just a little surprised that you hadn't commented on it is all.

Would it make you happier for me to say I want things much closer to the way they were 100 years ago? Would that semantic distinction make a difference to you?

We all want to take the things we feel were better in the past than they are now and apply them today. I think the only difference is you and I disagree on which ones and how to apply them. I have no problem with that.

Yes she does. Of course she never graduated high school and really hasn't ever had a significant job. She's been living primarily off of SSDI due to some physical and emotional issues from her past that are not my place to discuss. We're hoping to get her off of that in the near future.

That's fair, I was just curious. Sounds like you found a good mate.

Okay. I was just a little surprised that you hadn't commented on it is all.

I don't ever question your willingness to give your life for what you believe in, only that I disagree what you would fight for.

And yes, I'm well aware you aren't asking for my opinion or advice, I'm just commenting is all.

Tigger posts one over-the-top answer and twenty other people spend time parsing and analyzing what he said--as if any comment on the post has merit.

We all want to take the things we feel were better in the past than they are now and apply them today. I think the only difference is you and I disagree on which ones and how to apply them. I have no problem with that.

Very true.

That's fair, I was just curious. Sounds like you found a good mate.

I really hope so. We're going on three months together now and it's been an absolute blast. She's meeting my mom for the first time this coming Friday. I've already met her family and they've been wonderful to both of us.

I don't ever question your willingness to give your life for what you believe in, only that I disagree what you would fight for.

Again, very true.

So, on the census form, how come "American" isn't listed as a race?

Very good question, hazelnut. The only two things that should be listed are "American" and "Foreigner". In fact my great-grandmother threw a US Census bureau worker out of her home in 1980 because he wouldn't list her race/ethnicity as AMERICAN. Of course her family (and therefore mine) had been here for about 300 years at that point, and she made him very aware of that fact.

Personally, the only things I fill out on those forms are the number of people living there and the address. That's all I'm required by law to provide.

Anyone who self-identifies as anything other than an AMERICAN would be barred from voting. I have ancestors from more than half a dozen different countries. I do not identify with ANY of those countries. I'm an AMERICAN. I was born and raised here. I have zero connection to any of those places. I am not a German-American, an Irish-American, a Norwegian-American or anything of the like. My sole loyalty and identification is as an AMERICAN, as is ALL true AMERICANS.

I share the same sort of thing as you as far as ethnicity goes German, Irish, Polish, Scottish, French, and you can throw in Hopi to boot. My wife is Norwegian and Swedish and my kids are Russian.

We're all Americans, but the only requirement is self-identification? So if I self identify as Canadian (even though I've never lived there and I don't self-identify that way) I can't vote?

Look, I'm proud of every nation that contributed to the bizarre, only in America mix that is my family. Nothing wrong with that.

And yet, Texas officials could not provide evidence to support your (their) contention.

Couldnt that indicate the fraud is going undetected? Again, how would they know if someone voted for someone else? Ballots are secret, and they dont require ID. Did they call everyone who voted and say, did you actually vote?

So, on the census form, how come "American" isn't listed as a race?

Why isn't "human"? Because that's what I filled in for "race," two censuses ago.

Couldnt that indicate the fraud is going undetected? Again, how would they know if someone voted for someone else? Ballots are secret, and they dont require ID. Did they call everyone who voted and say, did you actually vote?

It's possible, but you can't prove it. There's probably enough of it on both sides that if you threw out all the illegal votes, you'd end up with about the same result. I just don't buy the assertion that ONLY Democrats do it. That's nonsensical.

Uh...Texas officials claim they need voter id because voter fraud is a large enough problem for the new requirement, yet they could not provide evidence that the problem is sizable enough to justify its need. Voter fraud is investigated, it is not a catch-22 situation as you infer.

Get a grip, you have to have a picture ID to Alchohol, get on a plane....but you object to having to have one to vote....quit being silly.

Get a grip, you have to have a picture ID to Alchohol, get on a plane....but you object to having to have one to vote....quit being silly.

So if you don't need to fly and you don't drink you shouldn't be able to vote. Great logic.

I'm trying to remember the last time someone died because as a result of VWI or a polling station crashed into a skyscraper.

We're all Americans, but the only requirement is self-identification? So if I self identify as Canadian (even though I've never lived there and I don't self-identify that way) I can't vote?

For me it's about two thngs....

1. Where were you born?
2. Where do your loyalties lay?

If you were born here in the US and identify yourself as "Irish-American", I have to question where your loyalties lay.

Look, I'm proud of every nation that contributed to the bizarre, only in America mix that is my family. Nothing wrong with that.

True. Right up to the point where people start questioning where your loyalties lay.

For me it's about two thngs....

1. Where were you born?
2. Where do your loyalties lay?

If you were born here in the US and identify yourself as "Irish-American", I have to question where your loyalties lay.

True. Right up to the point where people start questioning where your loyalties lay.

So then under your vision, does black America have to have their "loyalty" questioned if they refer to themselves as African Americans?

Last edited:
So then under your vision, does black America have to have their "loyalty" questioned if they refer to themselves as African Americans?

YES. The same way that the Hispanic-American and Asian-American communities have to be questioned if they choose to use those titles. If your race/ethnicity is more important to you than the country you were born in, then your loyalty has to be questione.

Very good question, hazelnut. The only two things that should be listed are "American" and "Foreigner".

So, you believe 'American' refers to a specific race or ethnicity?

And that foreign born people who legally become citizens are still foreigners? When you see someone with dark skin completion or asian features, do you see them at not American?

In fact my great-grandmother threw a US Census bureau worker out of her home in 1980 because he wouldn't list her race/ethnicity as AMERICAN. Of course her family (and therefore mine) had been here for about 300 years at that point, and she made him very aware of that fact.

1980 - 300 = 1680. So, you're ancestors just popped out of the ground somewhere in New England? Are you sure they didn't arrive by... um... boat... from a foreign land.

Personally, the only things I fill out on those forms are the number of people living there and the address. That's all I'm required by law to provide.

Do you list ages or just sizes? (e.g. small female, medium male)

YES. The same way that the Hispanic-American and Asian-American communities have to be questioned if they choose to use those titles. If your race/ethnicity is more important to you than the country you were born in, then your loyalty has to be questione.
I don't think you know how the information is used, why it is collected.

This thread isn't even about census data.

You do know that Africa is not a country but rather a continent and therefore isn't something one can exactly get nationalistic pride over right? I myself am an Antaritican-American. My loyalties lie with the frozen continent.

It was rather obvious that your "Irish-american" comment was a just a veil to get to this point.

This is too funny.

Last edited:
why do you guys even bother?????????

I have to admit, it's fun to see how far he'll take it or what he'll say next...

When you cut off every avenue of logic and reason, it can be fascinating to see where he'll go next.

How does celebrating the culture of one's ancestors make you less patriotic?

Unless you are native American, your family came from somewhere else.

And since there are no apes indigenous to North American, the North American Indians probably migrated up from South America or over an ice bridge from mongolia. Although, they believe they did come from the earth.

So, you believe 'American' refers to a specific race or ethnicity?

And that foreign born people who legally become citizens are still foreigners? When you see someone with dark skin completion or asian features, do you see them at not American?

I believe that AMERICAN refers to people born here in this country and whose sole allegiance is to this country.

1980 - 300 = 1680. So, you're ancestors just popped out of the ground somewhere in New England? Are you sure they didn't arrive by... um... boat... from a foreign land.

Actually they arrived from somewhere in the British Isles in about 1650. Nobody knows where exactly they came from. Even those who have done extensive geneological research haven't been able to lock it down. Apparently they never talked about where they were from.

Do you list ages or just sizes? (e.g. small female, medium male)

Neither. I don't even list genders. 3 People @ ** Mechanic St, *******, MA. That's it. My roommates and I did that in 2000 @ 2010.

I don't think you know how the information is used, why it is collected.

I don't care how it's used. The only information I am legally required to provide is the number of people at the address. Nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom