• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

ANYone with a penis and a vagina can procreate. That doesn't mean they have information on STDs, sexual orientation issues, contraception, etc...

You would be hard pressed to find somebody that does not know about STDs or AIDS in 2011. Condom ads are everywhere, even on the net so I doubt you would find a kid of age that doesn't know the basics of protection.

You would be hard pressed to find somebody that does not know about STDs or AIDS in 2011. Condom ads are everywhere, even on the net so I doubt you would find a kid of age that doesn't know the basics of protection.

Know and understanding are two completely different things.

Actually it has been traced back pre 1970. This doesn't mean though pre 1970 they even had a clue as to what it was much less how it was transmitted. Or even had a theory as to how it was transmitted.

Thats true

The difference is, bullying stopped when you went home. It never stops now due to the internet.

There is another thing I don't understand. How can you be bullied over the internet when you chose what pages to read?

Whenever I get emails for penis enlargements, I delete them. I am not forced to read them.

There is another thing I don't understand. How can you be bullied over the internet when you chose what pages to read?

Whenever I get emails for penis enlargements, I delete them. I am not forced to read them.

Do you not use facebook?

Im going to hit the pit..the old guy is worn out...it was fun :)

no! we are agreeing that I am correct! :D

Nope. ME. :2razz:

yes, it does. How you say something is often nearly or just as important as what you say. This was beaten into me for three months straight when I was in training (my job involves briefing senior commanders) - words matter, including the ones not spoken, and your presentation will often stick more than your words do.

You CONTINUE to help me prove my point. So, if it is presented entirely in an informational way, what values the receiver perceives is on him or her.

so, in the world of immediately available results (operations are performed based off of intel briefings - the slogan for counterinsurgency is "intel drives ops"), what we have consistently found to be the ground truth of the matter is precisely the opposite of what you are claiming here.

Nope. One presents information, how the listener evaluates that information is on the listener. This is why it is important to impart the information clearly.
exactly. and that is precisely the same thing that anyone - including a student - will do. they will perceive a particular way in which you judge the relative weight of what you are discussing.

No, that's not precisely what I said. There is no weight presented. Only information. What the student does with that is completely on HIM/HER.

you cannot provide information free of context - literally, communication does not work like that. that is (for example) why we have emoticons here - to make up for the lack of context that we use our facial expressions or tone inflection to provide in RW communications.

Context and judgment are not the same concepts.

the trick being that information always comes in the context of it's presentation.

And if that context is to provide information, the value judgments perceived are on the listener.

no, the equivalency is in the presentation - because that is how the "information" is presented.

No, that is not equivelency. It is a list. YOU are assigning morality, NOT the presenter.

they may choose to impose their own values over those implied by the competing lists - but that changes the fact that the lists came with their own presumptions not at all.

The implication comes from their own morality and values, not those of the presentation of a list. You are demonstrating this point by how you are posting. You are presenting your own morality from the list that has been presented. The fact that others would see this list differently, demonstrates that this in about the listener, not the presentation.

wrong, all i did was provide a list, remember?

No, you didn't and you are being dishonest by posting that you did. Your second example was filled with value judgments. Here is your comment and I will, place in bold all of the value judgments:

however, i go to the next class and i say "the major form of sexuality used by humans is hetero sexuality. now, some claim that homosexuality, bi sexuality, bestiality, necrophilia, and all other manners of sexuality should be treated as no better or worse than hetero sexuality, but the fact remains that these are very, very, very small minority groups" then that is a format that presents a moral call. I separate hetero sexuality alone, first, and above all - and then make a point to list homosexuality in the same format as bestiality. I could throw pedohophelia in there too. the presentation is that these things all belong together - there is a fundamental equivalency between them. which is why homosexuals come down so hard on attempts to put homosexuality in the same list as pedophilia - because they know that the presentation presumes a moral judgement even if one is not highlighted.

These are value judgments. Stating "major form" indicates preference. Saying "some claim that homosexuality, bi sexuality, bestiality, necrophilia, and all other manners of sexuality should be treated as no better or worse than hetero sexuality, but the fact remains that these are very, very, very small minority groups" presents that this view is carried by a minority, and by using the word "claim" you impress that it is an unsubstantiated minority. Further, your comment is biased because it is fundamentally INACCURATE. By all accounts, your example was a complete failure.

in the instances, by the process of presenting multiple forms of sexuality in connection with particular others, I was able to change the presumed moral equivalency of homosexuality from a neutral to a negative. simply in an informational here-is-the-list-style manner; about as dry as you can get.

Your presentation was by no means equivalent, and certainly biased, and by no means dry. Not even close.

you can't split information from presentation. not for humans. computers, perhaps, yes. but not people - we're not built that way.

Of course you can.

no, one cannot. to even begin to give information is to immediately filter out all the information that isnt worth giving, which is to instantly translate a judgement value into communication.

No, it isn't. Giving information is providing THAT information. Now, it is possible to do what you are claiming, but not necessary.

:roll: And I would think that you were at least smart enough to get the difference between saying jokingly saying "F you :D" and angrily screaming "F YOU!!!"

Certainly. Context. Not judgment.

now, see how that works? by describing your failure as a matter of intelligence, beginning with an eye-roll, and then giving a simplistic example, my presentation implied (full disclosure, i think you're one of the smarter posters on the board) dismissal on my part and a very low level of intelligence indeed on yours. The thrust is: how can you be so stupid as to not grasp such a basic alteration in interactions that even a baby can understand?

See? Your presentation was flawed. If your presentation had been clear, no interpretation on my part would have been necessary... and any would have been based on my own perceptions.

had i instead argued:

And I would have thought that to someone of the level of intelligence I have come to expect from you that the different information that is passed with raw data - what many call the "metadata" - would be obvious.

the tone is quite different. not just are the words larger, but the concepts called into question are more complex. the assumption here is that you are indeed intelligent, that you are fully capable of grasping what is going on, of dealing with in-depth subject matter, but for some reason just haven't yet with regards to this particular facet of communication.

Here, your presentation is clear. Perhaps I would have been offended. Why? Perhaps I haven't liked some of your positions, so I have built in animosity towards you (I don't). See? The presentation is not the issue in this case. You were clear, contextual, and without judgment. The problem was with the listener.

but both pieces of information are arguing the exact same thing - that you are apparently don't get it something that you should. but the context of how I say it dramatically shifts the actual meaning of the response.

You are STILL illustrating my point. If your presentation is clear and informational, the judgments that I perceive are on me.

:) just as some folks seem to erroneously think that it doesn't have to be.

but now we're just repeating ourselves.

So, you agree that it is not, always, but could be, correct?

agreed! I have no problem with schools teaching sex ed the way that they find best if that is what the parents want as expressed by those parents choosing to send their children there. one of the many reasons why school choice is a big deal with me - not only do i think it will improve our educational system, but i strongly suspect it will reduce conflict in society by not forcing a one-size-fits-all solution upon disparate and deeply held belief systems.

I vacillate with the school choice issue. Personally, I'd rather see an more effective and efficient use of funds in our public schools, but I could see school choice as a viable option.

There is a difference between basic knowledge and more advanced information and the understanding of that information.

Thats precisely what it is indoctrination, if its not academic its social indoctrination, its absurd to try and make it an academic issue.

More rhetoric. Information about sexuality is information.

Lets get something straight ok...no pun intended :). Not being for Homosexual marriage or homosexual indoctination in elementary school...is NOT ANTI GAY rhetoric, nor does it translate into hating gays. Those accusations roll right off my back, I pay no attention to them..I know what im about and I have no problems telling you how I really feel.

When you use the word indoctination, an inaccurate term, you use RHETORIC.

Gays dont want to hear ANYTHING but what they want to hear...you can use this forum for an example if you dont agree and kiss thier behind, your accused of being hateful. If you dont agree with what they want then your anti gay your homophobic, your a hater and they wont like you and will abuse you...that does not intimidate me and wont stop me from saying what I believe.

I have no issue with you saying what you believe, but I WILL correct you when you are wrong, and I WILL call you out on your comments.

Yes it is to a point. In excess no but it makes weak kids get stronger.

Didn't you ever see Maury Povich show.

If those people hadn't been bullied in school, they never would have gotten skinnier, smarter, more successful or whatever they did just to show the bully they could.

I wonder what kids would turn out like if there was no bullying at all.

Any kind of bullying is extreme. Bullying would not be defined as an isolated incident, but as something continuous. That kind of thing is not acceptable.

I think society changes, and certainly the nature of sex has changed with the existence of STDs. Under such circumstances, I don't think relying on information from parents and friends is enough - kids need education, they can't just rely on BS myths like "it's safe if the woman is on top" and stuff like that.

Ok Ill go with that...but how does teaching homosexuality help kids with that

Unbelievable. Well at least it wasn't my home state that did it. :roll:

I guess don't talk about being gay and maybe less people will turn out gay, is the idea?
Because don't ask, don't tell worked so well, let's apply it to students!

More rhetoric. Information about sexuality is information.

When you use the word indoctination, an inaccurate term, you use RHETORIC.

I have no issue with you saying what you believe, but I WILL correct you when you are wrong, and I WILL call you out on your comments.

Nope your using the inaccurate term Rhetoric to an opinion that teaching homosexuality has no academic benefit it just wastes valuable school time and has kids NOT learning the information they really need to make the choices in their life.
Its not only homosexuality its all the extraneous non academic nonsense They have crammed into the few hours a day kids actually have time to learn. Homosexuality has no business in the classroom its not a subject and its discriminatory against any other groups that dont suck up precious educational resources and get the same attention. Homosexuals are not unique in being different

And it is an academic issue. Seems like only folks like you make it a moral issue.

Thats as false a rhetorical statement as any ive ever read on this forum...this proves that supporters of anything homosexual are absolutely unreasonable and unbending in their tyranical demands of I want what I want and I want it right now and you have to accept it. Your arguments are weak and full of barbs to try to defer from the actualy discussion. You make accusatory statements without merit, like this one "Seems like only folks like you make it a moral issue" seems like folks like you cant differentiate between a moral issue and an opinion that homosexuality has no academic value in schools and does not enhance the goal of academic achievement therefore it is in fact indoctrinating children to a specific special interest

24 pages!!

All I've learned is that the homophobes on DP really think homosexuality is a 'life choice'. The RW media has brainwashed them.

Lastest poll show that the country has finally tipped toward accepting homosexuality and gay marriage. 53% in favor of supporting.

10 years from now, people will look back at these laws and debates the way we look back at segregation.

24 pages!!

All I've learned is that the homophobes on DP really think homosexuality is a 'life choice'. The RW media has brainwashed them.

Lastest poll show that the country has finally tipped toward accepting homosexuality and gay marriage. 53% in favor of supporting.

10 years from now, people will look back at these laws and debates the way we look back at segregation.

Could you indicate what posts made clear statements that homosexuality is a life choice and which homophobes are you talking about...is a homophobe someone that doesnt agree with everything homosexuals want ? is a homophobe a person thats afraid homosexuals will beat them up...just what exactly are you referring too...I didnt see any of that in this thread.

Could you indicate what posts made clear statements that homosexuality is a life choice and which homophobes are you talking about...

Some people danced around it early on, but check out post #70 and read forward from there...

is a homophobe someone that doesnt agree with everything homosexuals want ? is a homophobe a person thats afraid homosexuals will beat them up...just what exactly are you referring too...I didnt see any of that in this thread.
Both and all. Actions, words... You have to read between the lines and look at a poster's history in these types of threads.

Homophobia can be anyone supporting this Tenn law. It's a fear that causes people to act in a certain way.

Some Libertarians will try to support this law or support anti-gay marriage laws based on 'Logic', but if it's thin logic, I'd say look deeper... where are these thoughts and feelings coming from?

Homophobia, like any bigotry, doesn't have to be overt, in your face gay bashing.

24 pages!!

Does it even matter if it is a "life choice"? Heck Baptist become atheists all the time.

Sometimes man... the US wants make me want to puke...

Hey this.is.why we have state laws. If you don't like it don't move to TN or live there. Move to another state that allows it....

It has no place in school...just like religion and morality. School is for academics

But we're already effectively teaching children about heterosexuality with the majority of children's books out there. What's wrong with throwing Heather has Two Mommies in there just to show there are different lifestyles.

Some people danced around it early on, but check out post #70 and read forward from there...

Both and all. Actions, words... You have to read between the lines and look at a poster's history in these types of threads.

Homophobia can be anyone supporting this Tenn law. It's a fear that causes people to act in a certain way.

Some Libertarians will try to support this law or support anti-gay marriage laws based on 'Logic', but if it's thin logic, I'd say look deeper... where are these thoughts and feelings coming from?

Homophobia, like any bigotry, doesn't have to be overt, in your face gay bashing.

Most people see their own views as reasonable, and a reasonable opinion couldn't be bigoted, right? The result is people holding unfounded prejudice that they aren't even really consciously aware of.

Most people see their own views as reasonable, and a reasonable opinion couldn't be bigoted, right?

A subjective POV is not necessarily truth or fact. Just because people think they're reasonable, does not make them reasonable.

The result is people holding unfounded prejudice that they aren't even really consciously aware of.

So, we make them aware.

ATTENTION HOMOPHOBES: Sexual orientation is a hard-wired personality trait. There are degrees, but there is no choice. If you are more inclined to same-sex attraction, you will only be happy in that type of relationship. It is as natural as left-handed. It occurs in all cultures, and species of animals. There is not one "gay gene", brain development is a complex combination of genetics, and prenatal health.

Please stop being fearful of homosexuals. If your child is showing homosexual traits, you can not beat it out of him or her. So try being a good parent and loving and accepting your children as they are.

Tennessee’s ‘Don’t say gay’ bill doesn’t go far enough
By Alexandra Petri, Published: April 22 | Updated: Saturday, April 23, 8:30 AM

Quote:
There is, in Tennessee, a bill prohibiting educators from talking about homosexuality in elementary and middle schools. It just passed the Senate by a vote of 6 to 3. It’s called the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill by its opponents, who think it goes too far.

I oppose it, too: I don’t think it goes far enough. The bill says it’s perfectly fine for educators to talk about heterosexuality from kindergarten through eighth grade.

How filthy!

How dare they pollute the minds of the innocent young with this? Throughout your lives, all you see is heterosexuals flaunting this lifestyle right and left. On billboards. In movies. In music. Through the Midwest. Even on television shows watched by kids!

Sure, I have no problem with heterosexuals. I happen to be one myself. But that doesn’t mean I want my children to be exposed to this before the ninth grade. Don’t they have enough to do, like learning to read and write and identify countries on maps? Why push a social agenda?

Heterosexuals are everywhere once you grow up. You eat lunch with them. You take them to prom. Sometimes you have to share a cubicle with one and talk about his or her hobbies. Many kids even have one in their home or family. Aren’t kids exposed to enough heterosexuality in the media and in their homes without being forced to hear about it at school, too? They don’t need this explained to them! They should be memorizing state capitals and increasingly their utility!

People would not choose to be attracted to members of the opposite sex if someone had not read them a book in their childhood about a male and female duck forming a family. Curse whoever read that book! Such attractions are powerfully distracting! They ended Edward VII’s promising career!

Why brainwash our kids?

If you can’t share it with the whole class, don’t bring it up at all! Some people say they have favorite sexual positions. My favorite position is the one where you don’t talk about it, ever, and occasionally you eat a sandwich and feel kind of lonesome.

So don’t get me started on this ‘sex’ phenomenon. I don’t know whose idea it was, but it can’t be natural. If God intended us to frolic about in the buff with members of the opposite sex, he would have created Adam and Eve, rather than allowing us to evolve slowly over the course of geologic time until we reached our present position. I come from a Scandinavian family, so my sole sex education came one time when we visited the zoo and happened to see some monkeys. “Whatever it is they’re doing,” my parents told me, “don’t.”

I am now 23 years old, and I still believe that I was put on Earth by a complicated ritual involving Ayn Rand and eight storks. I fully intend to adopt, not on principle but because I have no idea how babies are made. I assume that they are either conceived immaculately — if you’re very lucky — or constructed somewhere from inexpensive materials and then shipped, which would explain why we refer to mothers as “expecting.”

It’s an awful lot to wrap one’s head around, and I don’t think kids should have to think about this at all. Later they may have to confront the horrifying fact that they are somehow attracted to someone or other. But until then, I say, forgo all the naughty bits. If they want to tackle the issue on their own time, the less we inform them about what they might be feeling, the better. They are unlikely to figure out any of this on their own. It is far too complicated! They can’t possibly hope to get anywhere until the Elders give them the 83-page manual. And the Internet remains a total mystery to anyone under the age of 25.

Lady Gaga is one thing. We all know she emerged fully formed from an egg. But our kids are another.

So I say this bill is a travesty — there’s too much sex in it. Sex belongs outside the classroom, in, uh, laboratories, or wherever it is they do it. I really couldn’t tell you.

Tennessee’s ‘Don’t say gay’ bill doesn’t go far enough - The Washington Post

Back
Top Bottom