• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Solar Eclipse 2024

phoenix2020

Founder, Cyborg Gorillas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I wanted to start a thread on the upcoming April 8 solar eclipse that will be visible across large swaths of the United States. Perhaps we can start with anyone who has plans to attempt to see it, and go from there. Thread is and can be open ended.

For my part, my family will be traveling to Dallas, TX. We have family there so it works out. April is not a great time of year vis-a-vis cloud cover for viewing an eclipse, so this could be a very expensive failure, but I'll take my chances! Currently planning to photograph with a SLR - in my case, I have Canon R5 and R7 bodies, the 800mm F11 lens and solar filters, which has worked fairly well for hand-held solar photography over the past year or two.

Anyone else here either in or close to the path of totality, or planning to travel in hopes of seeing it?

Ironically, I’m leaving Dallas to view the eclipse near Mena, Arkansas.

Ironically, I’m leaving Dallas to view the eclipse near Mena, Arkansas.
Rationale?

Dallas is my "base of operations" to fly into since we have family there, but I am still trying to figure out if/whether I should leave the city for the actual eclipse. So, I'm super interested in your thought process!

Rationale?

Dallas is my "base of operations" to fly into since we have family there, but I am still trying to figure out if/whether I should leave the city for the actual eclipse. So, I'm super interested in your thought process!

My wife and I grew up in the Broken Bow, Oklahoma (where my familial nickname "Bok Tuklo" comes from) and Mena, Arkansas area. The majority of both our families live there. Her parents have about 40 acres and a good size home so we will be staying with them. It is to be a large get-together. It also helps that it is about 4 minutes of totality.

You will probably have to head east to get more totality time. But DFW has around 8 million people who are going to being doing the same thing; not to mention visitors! Stake out a spot early!

My wife and I grew up in the Broken Bow, Oklahoma (where familial nickname "Bok Tuklo" comes from) and Mena, Arkansas area. The majority of both our families live there. Her parents have about 40 acres and a good size home so we will be staying with them. It is to be a large get-together. It also helps that it is about 4 minutes of totality.

You will probably have to head east to get more totality time. But DFW has around 8 million people who are going to being doing the same thing; not to mention visitors! Stake out a spot early!
I enjoyed the 2017 eclipse in the midwest so I don't need an insane amount of totality - a couple of minutes will be fine and if I can get that in or near Dallas, I can live with it. As far as I can tell, Dallas itself should be in the path of full totality.

I am glad you have a good place to be and I'll be hoping that you enjoy clear skies! I was very lucky in 2017 - one hour in any direction and I'd have missed it.

We are headed to a party that day and will be under the totality.

Also, if you plan to get glasses, please use a vendor from the astronomical society recommendation list to avoid scams. Your eyes will thank you.

Last edited:
My wife and I grew up in the Broken Bow, Oklahoma (where my familial nickname "Bok Tuklo" comes from) and Mena, Arkansas area. The majority of both our families live there. Her parents have about 40 acres and a good size home so we will be staying with them. It is to be a large get-together. It also helps that it is about 4 minutes of totality.

I should mention that ticket prices flying into Dallas were fairly insane so we will be flying into Oklahoma City then driving to Dallas. Coincidentally, I have been in / driven through every state except Oklahoma, so this will not only check the "visited every state" box but also be my first time in Oklahoma! We're arriving early on the 7th and I want to head to Dallas as soon as possible, but I am hoping to stop by a place or two on the way :)

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

I enjoyed the 2017 eclipse in the midwest so I don't need an insane amount of totality - a couple of minutes will be fine and if I can get that in or near Dallas, I can live with it. As far as I can tell, Dallas itself should be in the path of full totality.

I am glad you have a good place to be and I'll be hoping that you enjoy clear skies! I was very lucky in 2017 - one hour in any direction and I'd have missed it.

About 6 of us traveled to Nashville, Tennessee in 2017 for that year's eclipse. It is the only total eclipse I have ever seen and it was an awesome experience. I recommend anyone who has the ability to see this one if they can. It's like viewing the Grand Canyon. Just incredible. You really do feel very, very small. At least I did.

Agreed. Simply magnificent experience. If you're in or near the path of totality, make time to witness it. Take the day off, pull kids from school, etc. There is nothing like it.

Just check the weather forecast first!

One of my pics from 2017. I'm hoping to do better this time, with better gear in hand!

IMG_2804.jpg

My area is estimated to be ~99.8%. So close! Don't know if I'll drive north a bit to a park or something, or just stay put. Probably the latter.
Have a Lunt Solar Systems 60mm hydrogen alpha scope mounted on my Celestron Evolution tracking mount, and an ASI1600 monochrome CMOS camera.

I think the last solar eclipse I witnessed was in Georgia, but I barely remember it, being so young.

Judging by the image here, guess I'm located at about 90%.

b749d32e-d270-4313-b49d-bbbb37bb755c_1920x1080.jpg

Seriously doubt that I'll travel for viewing.

Early cloudcover forecasts are out.

https://m1o.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2024032318/384/cloudcover.conus.png

On the map, white is clear skies, and blue is cloudcover. Kind of the reverse of how it is in the actual sky.

The above graphic is from the least accurate of the major weather models, and it is too far out to be really accurate in any case, so don't make any travel plans based on this image.

We're a few days away from when the most accurate computer models will start predicting cloud cover on eclipse day, and even then it will still be too far off for them to have really good accuracy.

Anyone else here either in or close to the path of totality, or planning to travel in hopes of seeing it?

i live near it and may step outside. please take care when viewing because of danger.

the other danger i believe is that this may be a Prophetic End Times sign, so get prayed up and repent for whatever God is speaking to us about. there are plenty of video on youtube concerned with this.

blessings, 2 weeks

I wanted to start a thread on the upcoming April 8 solar eclipse that will be visible across large swaths of the United States. Perhaps we can start with anyone who has plans to attempt to see it, and go from there. Thread is and can be open ended.

For my part, my family will be traveling to Dallas, TX. We have family there so it works out. April is not a great time of year vis-a-vis cloud cover for viewing an eclipse, so this could be a very expensive failure, but I'll take my chances! Currently planning to photograph with a SLR - in my case, I have Canon R5 and R7 bodies, the 800mm F11 lens and solar filters, which has worked fairly well for hand-held solar photography over the past year or two.

We're driving to central Texas and should be right in the middle of it.

I was gifted this article about getting pictures with your phone,

And another super cool widget that shows the track of eclipses for the next fifty years, ( middle of article) cool , because you can spin the globe on the graphic. Which shows me that there will be eclipses visible north of the artic circle and even visible as far south as Antarctica. I did not know that and can't model in my head how that is possible.

Yo people! Everybody post back here when it passes your area give us the report!!

I hope that we have a clear view of it.

We're driving to central Texas and should be right in the middle of it.
I hope you're keeping up on the cloudcover forecasts.

Still too early to be absolutely sure, but Texas looks screwed for the eclipse. Vermont and New York look like they will be the best spots.

Here is a good cloudcover predictor that uses an AI to continuously analyze all the latest cloudcover predictions:

The only bad thing about it is, cloudcover is depicted very faintly on the map. But it does a good job of summarizing all the latest cloudcover forecasts.

EDIT: Here's another good summary of the latest cloudcover forecasts:

Last edited:
This is what I use for future outlook. Very good track record of being accurate.
Guess I will be heading north about an hour to a client's business parking lot for a place to set up, Won't be too far from the centerline.

Agreed. Simply magnificent experience. If you're in or near the path of totality, make time to witness it. Take the day off, pull kids from school, etc. There is nothing like it.

Just check the weather forecast first!

One of my pics from 2017. I'm hoping to do better this time, with better gear in hand!

View attachment 67500116
Is staring at that ok?

Its supposed to be cloudy on Monday in my region

A friend today told me he will be traveling to Arkansas over the weekend and in the path of the total eclipse hotels that normally charge $80.00 a night are charging $500.00. He's going to sleep in his truck. I'm a capitalist at heart but that's gouging IMHO.

I'm in the path of totality. It looks like the weather might not cooperate.

This would be my second total eclipse. The first one I was in my 20s and I remember it as a very cool thing to experience.

I'm in the path of totality. It looks like the weather might not cooperate.

This would be my second total eclipse. The first one I was in my 20s and I remember it as a very cool thing to experience.

Back
Top Bottom