• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should USA Close Borders Completely?

Should USA Close Borders Completely?

• Total voters
If everybody is kept out, it stops bad guys (and girls, apparently) by default. Is that a bad thing?

Well , it would theoretically stop them from entering legally. It does nothing to stop them from entering illegally.

It also stops perfectly good people, as well as exceptionally gifted people.

Well , it would theoretically stop them from entering legally. It does nothing to stop them from entering illegally.

It also stops perfectly good people, as well as exceptionally gifted people.

Valid points. Perhaps I haven't thought this through. :)

How about getting a better handle on our physical borders?

I'm all for it. I've stated numerous times I think that's exactly what our military should be doing.
Bring them all home.
Pull every single US military member in foreign countries out, and set them up within our own borders to protect our own country.

I'm all for it. I've stated numerous times I think that's exactly what our military should be doing.
Bring them all home.
Pull every single US military member in foreign countries out, and set them up within our own borders to protect our own country.
In a volatile world, I think we need at least some foreign prescence, but nothing near where we are today.

I don't think we should close the borders to everyone, that is just absurd. We are already an unfriendly place to make an international connection. I also don' t think we should keep people out based on their religion, but on a temporary basis to block people from certain countries is not unheard of as President Carter did to citizens of Iran.

I also think that we should be more in the norm of how we deal with visitors and the issuance of visas for extended stays. We do a much more thorough job keeping citizens who have forgotten their passports from coming into the country than we have in keeping people with no legal permission to come to into the US. Overstaying a visa makes you subject to arrest and detention in many countries around the world.

Valid points. Perhaps I haven't thought this through. :)

There are few "small government' ways to accomplish that. Clearly using about 20K border patrol agents and about 5K ICE agents is not going to git-r-done. A good start would be to get rid of about 50K TSA agents (airport nannies?), force the airlines/airports to supply working security measures and to reallocate those funds to increase immigration law enforcement. Another possibility would be to pay federal bounties to state/local LEOs who turn over deportable illegal aliens to the federal government.

It depends on what you mean by close the borders completely. Ban foreign tourism? Ban trade? Lock Americans who live or visit overseas out so they can't come home? No foreign exchange students? People can't get married to a foreigner and settle in America?

It depends on what you mean by close the borders completely. Ban foreign tourism? Ban trade? Lock Americans who live or visit overseas out so they can't come home? No foreign exchange students? People can't get married to a foreigner and settle in America?
I assumed that "close borders completely" meant "No entity, object, or data is allowed to enter or exit the USA."

I assumed that "close borders completely" meant "No entity, object, or data is allowed to enter or exit the USA."

No way. That means people om vayca in Jamaica would have to move there and be separated from family. Reminds me of the Berlin Wall. The US withdrawing from international trade would trigger a global financial meltdown, not to mention our own economic ruin.

Our economy needs Asia, Europe, South America and Africa to sell our smart phones, computers, electronics, appliances and cars. As cruddy as we think our educational system is sometimes, people around the world consider an American university degree the ultimate educational achievement. Documents discovered even Osama Bin Laden encouraged his own children to renounce terrorism and try to go to college in America. As seemingly anti-American as the rest of the world may seem sometimes, people outside of this country love our culture. They embrace our movies, TV and music as their favorite. The biggest stars in Europe are American actors and recording artists. The biggest stars in Africa and the Caribbean are people like Beyonce, Oprah and Will Smith. That pro-American influence would effectively end.

#Xenophobia

Back
Top Bottom