• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should US Presidents only serve one term?

What should the term limit for POTUS be?

• Total voters
Two terms works fine but we should put term limits on congressmen and senators.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I say one term for all of them.

A single 6 year term would be far preferable. Presidents wouldn't have to campaign and would be free to make the tough choices they generally make in their 2nd terms. I'm torn on Congress though. The side affect of having people in Congress so long is they know the issues exceptionally well. Senator Lugar for one (shame the TP Is trying to get rid of him). Term limits on Congress ensures we get a Congress who constantly no idea what they're doing. But it does get rid of the graft and corruption.

That is just another argument for why you don't elect idiots and you keep what the government does to a minimum. :D

That is just another argument for why you don't elect idiots and you keep what the government does to a minimum. :D

Easier said than done. Furthermore, the US has some of the highest incumbency rates in the first world. So even if they are idiots, they still get reelected.

I think terms should be 8 years for the Presidency. 4 years is just long enough to reverse course and get started on a new plans. Since most of the last year of a first term is usually spent campaigning that year is mostly gone. The first year is spent getting caught up to speed on everything you and I don't know about and on protocol. Not to mention all the handshaking and entertaining the President must do, there is substantial time where s/he is doing things other than being Presidential. When does the President have time to put ideas into action?

I've been warming recently to a single 6 year term.

Long enough to get some significant work done while in office while not being so long that it's problematic if you get a sufficiently horrible President. At the same time, by making it a single term, you set up a situation where the President can actually focus on being President and pushing what they want for the full six years rather than the two+ years of campaigning you tend to get now during their first term.

Honestly not sure I'd prefer it at this point...but I've significantly warmed to the idea and would rather that over allowing multiple terms

I say keep it as it is. Personally I would like to see term limits for all elected political offices,career politicians are a bad thing. One senator should not be able to have more power than another senator nor should a congressman be allowed to have more power than another congressman. Also to ensure that politicians are not trying to carry any influence from switching offices there should be a mandatory 5 year break in between offices.We should also be allowed to allowed to recall our senators,congress as well as a national recall election for the president.

I want the Senate to be more aristocratic than the House. Where we can temper the fickleness of the masses without endangering the Republic, we should be able to.

Last edited:
max of two terms totally 8 years in plenty enough. The presidents length of term isn't the issue, it's the unlimited length of term of the legislature. When anyone is a senator or congressman for life, they are too dug in, and too far removed from what it is they are there to do. Put real term limits on them, with an amendment so they can not override it (like some state legislatures have done across the country when term limits were voted in by the people).

Back
Top Bottom